Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313128 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #3255 on: May 30, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
Ha ha, I was just thinking something along those lines.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3256 on: May 30, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
Ha ha, I was just thinking something along those lines.

She really is a stunning woman. But you know us old guys...... :eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3257 on: May 30, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
these comments are absolutely useless without pics
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3258 on: May 31, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
When her and Tiffany hit the scene, every teenage boy on the planet wanted to bone both of them.  Fortunately for us all, both of them ended up in Playboy in recent years.  On the other side of that coin, I can't imagine there was a single guy that wanted to actually listen to any of their music.  I mean it's good pop songwriting, for certain and she did have a pretty good voice, so there's that.  Haven't heard any of her recent output to see how she sounds nowadays, but I'm sure she sounds great.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3259 on: May 31, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
When her and Tiffany hit the scene, every teenage boy on the planet wanted to bone both of them.  Fortunately for us all, both of them ended up in Playboy in recent years.  On the other side of that coin, I can't imagine there was a single guy that wanted to actually listen to any of their music.  I mean it's good pop songwriting, for certain and she did have a pretty good voice, so there's that.  Haven't heard any of her recent output to see how she sounds nowadays, but I'm sure she sounds great.

All of that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3260 on: May 31, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
I liked Tiffany more than Deborah

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3261 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Falco - Rock Me Amadeus

Somehow, this song spent three weeks at number 1 on the pop charts.  I guess it shouldn't be surprised given the nature of the song, but listening to it now, it's like, "Really?" 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3262 on: May 31, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »
I had the same reaction going back and watching old G.I. Joe cartoons on Hub recently.  I was like "Why am I watching this and why did I ever, because wow this is some extremely ridiculously dialogued stuff."  I guess the same case could be made for Rock Me Amadeus.  Even though it's kinda dated and facepalm-worthy, there's still something oddly catchy about it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3263 on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »
Just a really odd song

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3264 on: May 31, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
I had the same reaction going back and watching old G.I. Joe cartoons on Hub recently.  I was like "Why am I watching this and why did I ever, because wow this is some extremely ridiculously dialogued stuff."  I guess the same case could be made for Rock Me Amadeus.  Even though it's kinda dated and facepalm-worthy, there's still something oddly catchy about it.

:lol  Perfect description.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3265 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Coz nailed it.  We could also rhyme off The A-Team and Knight Rider as part of the pop-culture that was "what the fuck were we thinking".

Plus, mullets.

I dug this song 25 years ago, but now, I'm not sure why.  And I certainly only tolerate it now for nostalgic reasons. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3266 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »
The video helped a lot.  The idea of a classical composer being hailed as some kind of badass by biker dudes is awesome.

I always liked the song anyway, probably because Mozart is one of my favorite composers, but also because it's catchy and fun.  What's not to love?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3267 on: May 31, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
Coz nailed it.  We could also rhyme off The A-Team and Knight Rider as part of the pop-culture that was "what the fuck were we thinking".

What?  I still love to stay up late and sit there at 2:00 a.m. in nothing but my red, white & blue boxers watching the A-Team while cleaning my guns.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3268 on: May 31, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
I was a much bigger fan of Knight Rider than I was of The A-Team, but I caught an old Knight Rider episode on cable somewhat recently and was amazed at how absurd it was.

Fun fact about it, though: the voice of Kitt was by the same actor who played Benjamin's father in The Graduate.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3269 on: May 31, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Well, while on the momentary 80's TV tangent, I REALLY would like to go pick up a Miami Vice box set.  Something tells me that I would still enjoy those.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3270 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
Well, while on the momentary 80's TV tangent, I REALLY would like to go pick up a white or pastel colored Miami Vice suit and slip on shoes to wear with no socks.  Something tells me that I would still enjoy those.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3271 on: May 31, 2013, 12:25:39 PM »
That too.

Seriously.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3272 on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
I was a much bigger fan of Knight Rider than I was of The A-Team, but I caught an old Knight Rider episode on cable somewhat recently and was amazed at how absurd it was.

Fun fact about it, though: the voice of Kitt was by the same actor who played Benjamin's father in The Graduate.

I think of him as Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World.  Or as Dr. Craig on St. Elsewhere.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3273 on: May 31, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »
Well, while on the momentary 80's TV tangent, I REALLY would like to go pick up a white or pastel colored Miami Vice suit and slip on shoes to wear with no socks.  Something tells me that I would still enjoy those.

What do you think I was wearing during most of my adventures from this thread?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3274 on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
Seriously,  I had the rolled up suit sleeves and all. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3275 on: May 31, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »

I think of him as Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World.  Or as Dr. Craig on St. Elsewhere.

I think of him as William Daniels.  He's been around for a while, certainly long enough for people to know his name.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3276 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3277 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
Not 80s, but I have to say I'm amazed MTV actually played this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0wnd8B6O_I
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3278 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
Well, it WAS on Alternative Nation... :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3279 on: June 02, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Pass.  This song was huge, largely because it appealed to both men and women, but I never cared for it.  Sure, the main guitar melody is really cool, but Axl Rose's vocals just kill this song.  There are some GNR songs where he sounds pretty good, but this is not one of them.  I remember MTV playing this video seemingly every 20 minutes for months when it was first out. :lol :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3280 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »
Still love the song to pieces

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3281 on: June 02, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »
Classic.  Timeless.  Awesome.  This album is where it's at.  There's a reason it's such a huge selling album.  I got to see a stripper dance to this song.  Which is something you could potentially say about every song on the album.  Great tune and any time it comes out at a gig, a bar, or a party, people seem to love it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3282 on: June 02, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
Great song from one of the best hard rock albums of all time. Also one of the highest selling thanks largely to this song (and the rest of the iconic hits, of course).
So many memorable bass leads and fills throughout the song, killer guitar solo and leads, and one of those crazy good vocals that I've only ever heard a few people do justice to. Not just the huge range, but the melodies too. Even tuned way down, everyone seems to fall flat on their face attempting it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3283 on: June 02, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
THE rock album of the 80s. I almost don't like to listen to it anymore because of the sheer potential this band had and how Axl squandered every bit of it, but when Appetite came out, it was like a thunderbolt from heaven that blew away all the bad hair metal that was starting to accumulate and made rock and roll exciting and dangerous again. Even the nominal balladry of Sweet Child O' Mine kicked your teeth down your throat. Man, what could have been.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3284 on: June 02, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Pass.  This song was huge, largely because it appealed to both men and women, but I never cared for it.  Sure, the main guitar melody is really cool, but Axl Rose's vocals just kill this song.  There are some GNR songs where he sounds pretty good, but this is not one of them.  I remember MTV playing this video seemingly every 20 minutes for months when it was first out. :lol :lol

I know a lot of people like this song, but Kev pretty much summed this up for me.  Axl's voice works for me sometimes, but this is not one of the times.  He just sounds whiny and annoying.  And let's face it: the break comes out of nowhere and is completely stupid.  A good break might possibly have saved this song, but instead it's the last nail.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3285 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:59 AM »
Well, at least someone agrees with me on this one. :lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3286 on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
Paula Abdul - Straight Up

Ick.  More bubblegum 80s pop that not only did nothing for me at the time, but has aged pretty badly.  It sure doesn't help that her normal singing voice sounds like that of an 11-year old who is grating on your nerves merely by opening their mouth. :lol :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3287 on: June 03, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »
At the time, it wasn't her voice that I wanted to nail, so that didn't bother me much.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3288 on: June 03, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
It's harmless, and it's catchy with that slide-whistle synth patch or whatever the hell it is.

But most importantly, Paula was hot, the deadly cute kind of hot.  She was one of the reasons I started watching MTV with the sound off.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3289 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
If there was a straight man in the 80s who said they didn't want to nail Paul Abdul, they were lying.  :lol