Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308414 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2905 on: April 10, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Fine. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2906 on: April 12, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
Huey Lewis & the News - Doing It All for My Baby

One of his many hits from the 80s, this isn't one that is as remembered, but it was a big hit, being one of five top 10 hits from the Fore! record.  The video was rather odd, being some kind of Frankenstein-like monster fest.  Personally, this is another one of those 80s songs I enjoyed, but never would have called a favorite.  Also, about 10 years ago, a co-worker was dating a gal who he said was rather, um, lazy in the bedroom, and whenever this song would come on the satellite radio at work (which it did for a spell), he would sing it as, "Doing it all cause she's lazy!" :lol :lol :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2907 on: April 12, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
Wow, the title is not familiar at all, and I like Huey Lewis & The News.  I only have Sports, though.  For whatever reason, I never picked up Fore! Maybe because it just sounded like more of the same, and I'd moved on by then.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2908 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »
Had completely forgotten it until this post.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2909 on: April 12, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
Yeah, video was corny, but it's a great song

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2910 on: April 13, 2013, 04:19:31 AM »
Had completely forgotten it until this post.  :lol

Me too, but it immediately popped back into my brain. :lol

Not that it was a bad thing, mind you - always dug that one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2911 on: April 13, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »
Huey's love for doo wop.  It's an ok song.  There are much better songs by them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2912 on: April 13, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »
HL&N flamed out for me real quick.  No staying power at all.  The fact his videos were over-played helped burn him out for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2913 on: April 13, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
Duran Duran - New Moon on Monday

Another one of the band's many hits in the 80s, this is one I always enjoyed a lot, and I always got a kick out of the video, especially the introduction.  MTV sure played the crap out of it, too (as they did every video of theirs in the early to mid 80s). 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2914 on: April 13, 2013, 10:58:12 PM »
Duran Duran had some awesome vocal harmonies.  Simon LeBon has such a great, distinctive voice, and they really knew how to turn chords.  But this was the song where it was all starting to sound the same to me.  Still sounds great, but just more of the same Duran Duran to me.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2915 on: April 14, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »
More of a fan of the stuff from Rio, to be completely honest - you would not catch me admitting that back in those days, however. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2916 on: April 14, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »
Funny story Deb, I bought Rio and Piece of Mind the same day. :lol

Now on New Moon, I loved that song but the album was no way near as good as Rio.  The cracks were starting to show on Andy Taylor.  He wanted more guitar in their music and production of albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2917 on: April 14, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
New Moon on Monday always reminds me of this guy I went to school with. He loved Duran Duran. Now, the metal heads and rockers I hung out with thought this was weird, until we considered this fact; the dude had alot of female friends. Like a fucking ton. Like all his friends were girls. Naturally, we assumed that the guy didn't really like Duran Duran, and he was using this as an avenue to score with chicks. Fine then, we approved. Okay, sure, he dressed a little funny, and at times even SEEMED to be wearing make up, but, hell, it was the 1980s, man, and fucking Motley Crue was doing it! So what if this guy loved Duran Duran, wore make up, and all of his friends were girls. What's wrong with that?

With all this in mind, it probably will not shock the reader to realize that absolutely none of us had noticed that this guy was spectacularly, flamboyantly, almost stereotypically gay, but that it took me eight years after I graduated for me to figure it out?  That might shock some folks. It was a different time back then, what can I say?  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: April 14, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »
Not one of their best tracks IMO, but still good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2919 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
New Moon on Monday always reminds me of this guy I went to school with. He loved Duran Duran. Now, the metal heads and rockers I hung out with thought this was weird, until we considered this fact; the dude had alot of female friends. Like a fucking ton. Like all his friends were girls. Naturally, we assumed that the guy didn't really like Duran Duran, and he was using this as an avenue to score with chicks. Fine then, we approved. Okay, sure, he dressed a little funny, and at times even SEEMED to be wearing make up, but, hell, it was the 1980s, man, and fucking Motley Crue was doing it! So what if this guy loved Duran Duran, wore make up, and all of his friends were girls. What's wrong with that?

With all this in mind, it probably will not shock the reader to realize that absolutely none of us had noticed that this guy was spectacularly, flamboyantly, almost stereotypically gay, but that it took me eight years after I graduated for me to figure it out?  That might shock some folks. It was a different time back then, what can I say?  :rollin

It was indeed a different time.  Today, it's a lot more open, and there's a lot more awareness.  We also seem to have more occurrences of bullying and/or suicide because of it, or maybe we just hear about it more.  But I know what you're saying.  I went to high school in the 70's, and no one was out then.  Calling someone gay was an "acceptable" insult to any guy who wasn't 100% butch, hetero, and acting the part.  In the 80's, a lot of guys came out of the closet, and yeah, there were a few who not exactly surprises.  And a few who were.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2920 on: April 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
What amazed me about it, when I looked back, was that I wasn't the only person who totally missed it. We were aware that homosexuality existed, but, yes, it was more an insult to a straight person than an actual fact. When faced with an actual gay person, our minds just simply didn't go there. I'm also sure that, had any of us realized it, someone probably would have been a tool to the guy. But we honestly thought he had come upon a great way to hit on chicks.  :rollin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2921 on: April 14, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
Not a bad thought, though.  A lot of guys discovered the "secret" of listening to certain bands that girls liked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2922 on: April 14, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
Haha, that's awesome, Jaq. :lol :lol

The Bangles - Eternal Flame

Yes, it's another one of those 80s ballads that was a smash hit.  And this one was actually pretty darn good.  Very catchy melodies, and as many of us know, any video that prominently featured Susanna Hoffs was worthy. :biggrin:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2923 on: April 15, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
*insert _floyd's puking emote here*

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2924 on: April 15, 2013, 05:51:40 AM »
It's a good song, and yes, the video was very nice as well

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »
Not a bad song but not something I would gravitate towards.  They had better tunes.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2926 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
Oh yes, the Bangles song with the Barry Manillow snare.

Allow me to explain.

Back in the 70s, nearly all of Barry Manillow's ballad hits, at the end, saw the snare drum be mixed so it sounded like the hammer of Thor, with a dish of echo on the side. I guess it was to make the end choruses more dramatic or something. The snare on Eternal Flame, especially the last choruses? Totally the same thing.  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2927 on: April 15, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
:lol

I love it.  The Barry Manilow SnareTM

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: April 15, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
Total 8th grade slow dance song.

/Nostalgia
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2929 on: April 15, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »

Allow me to explain.

Back in the 70s, nearly all of Barry Manillow's ballad hits, at the end, saw the snare drum be mixed so it sounded like the hammer of Thor, with a dish of echo on the side. I guess it was to make the end choruses more dramatic or something. The snare on Eternal Flame, especially the last choruses? Totally the same thing.  :lol

Outed! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2930 on: April 15, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »
Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings

Pardon me while I go throw up.  That's all I got regarding this song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2931 on: April 15, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »

Allow me to explain.

Outed! :lol

:rollin

And yeah, invoking the "no story, it sucks" rule for Bette Midler.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2932 on: April 15, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
I thought her performance of 'Rochelle, Rochelle' was much better.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2933 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »
And yeah, invoking the "no story, it sucks" rule for Bette Midler.

Shit, I had a great story all typed up, and didn't see this until I Previewed.  Oh well.

But you're wrong.  It's a great song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2934 on: April 15, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
That rule applies solely to me. Anyone else can tell all the stories they want.  :biggrin:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2935 on: April 15, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »
Ah, well in that case... nah, I'm still not gonna bother.  It wasn't that good a story to begin with; I just thought it might have value because people do tend to hate this song, and I don't.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2936 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »
Do it!  We all had a few 45's of him.  Good story is good.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2937 on: April 15, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
Of him?

Anyway, what the fuck, here's why I stopped hating "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler.

There's this movie called "Beaches" that my wife watches every time it comes on TV.  Could be on Cinemax, or regular TV chopped to hell, doesn't matter, she watches it, and she cries at the end every time.  I thought a movie about beaches would be a boring documentary at best, but possibly okay if there were lots of shots of babes in bikinis.  But apparently it's a chick flick and the hot one dies of cancer or something, and my wife always cries.  I told her that it will always end the same way, she will always die, so why do you subject yourself to this and cry every time?  I mean, the world sucks enough as it is; why you would actively pursue sadness?  "Because it's a great movie" she said.  Yeah, okay.

One day, in a moment of weakness or perhaps just an attempt to appease the wife (shut up), I agreed to watch the movie with her.  It really was good.  And at the end, when the hot friend dies, I did get choked up (I said shut up!) and then Bette Midler sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" and I cried (okay fine, laugh all you want -- real men aren't afraid to cry).

A few years later, we finally bought our first house, moved a few towns north, and had to find a new church.  They got a new choir director (who is pretty and has amazing breasts) who asked me if I liked to sing.  I had no idea why she asked me, but yeah, I guess so.  She was getting together a "Men's Chorus" to do a special song on Mother's Day, which was coming up.  All the men would sing a special song to the moms and wives in their lives.  They didn't have to be in choir or anything, they just had to want to sing a song to their special ladies.  Well, sure.

On Mother's Day, we sang "Wind Beneath My Wings".  It reminded me of the movie about beaches, and I got kinda choked up.  I hadn't sung in years other than in the car, but I went ahead and dove right into it because why not?  Afterwards, the director told me I had a great voice and she loved the passion with which I sang, and she asked if I'd like to join the choir.  But the choir is, like, all old people.  Oh shit, that's right, I'm old now!  I wasn't playing in any bands or doing anything else musical at the time, so I joined the choir, learned to sing parts and stuff, and got my musical jones off that way.  Never sang in a choir before.  It's pretty cool.

So yeah, "Wind Beneath My Wings" helped lead me to singing in a choir and spending a couple hours a week with a pretty lady with wonderful breasts, and any song that can do that is okay in my book.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2938 on: April 15, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
Good story, Orbert.  Regardless of what I or anyone else thinks of that song, or any other, cool stories like that are why I love this thread.  Yay for nostalgia. :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
I thought you were talking about Barry. :lol  Still a great story.