Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308426 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2730 on: March 24, 2013, 03:50:09 AM »
Great song. I love me some George Michael

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2731 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »
Yeah, this one was one of my favorites too.  Just heard it on the radio on Friday.  Probably the last 'pop' album I ever bought, as I was just in the transition into rock being my genre of choice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2732 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »
Never a fan of GM but I could never deny his talent and showmanship.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2733 on: March 24, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »
Some fun 80s facts, courtesy of wikipedia:

1980s Total No. 1s
9 – Michael Jackson First 1980s No. 1: "Rock With You" (1980)
7 – Phil Collins First 1980s No. 1: "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" (1984)
7 – Whitney Houston First 1980s No. 1: "Saving All My Love For You" (1985)
7 – Madonna First 1980s No. 1: "Like A Virgin" (1984)
5 – Daryl Hall & John Oates First 1980s No. 1: "Kiss on My List" (1981)
5 – George Michael First 1980s No. 1: "I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)" (1987)
5 – Lionel Richie First 1980s No. 1: "Endless Love" (1981)
4 – Bon Jovi First 1980s No. 1: "You Give Love A Bad Name" (1986)
4 – Prince First 1980s No. 1: "When Doves Cry" (1984)
4 – Stevie Wonder First 1980s No. 1: "Ebony and Ivory" (1982)

I gotta say, I would not have guessed that Phil Collins would be 2nd to only MJ on that list.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2734 on: March 24, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
I have mentioned a friend who was of the opinion that the way to success with a lady was to own Whitney Houston's debut album. I had another friend who believed the same path to success lay in owning George Michael's faith.

It worked even WORSE for him, since a large amount of Michael's audience back then was teenaged girls, which made for problems with my 20 year old friend.

I have no idea how any of us in my circle of friends ever got laid. Including me.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2735 on: March 24, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »
I gotta say, I would not have guessed that Phil Collins would be 2nd to only MJ on that list.

What?  Were you even around during the 80's?  I know MJ was huge, but I'm not surprised at all the Phil is second.  He too was everywhere, all the time.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2736 on: March 24, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
I thought Off the Wall was considered 79

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2737 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
I thought Off the Wall was considered 79

it was, but Rock With You  was released as a single late in 1979 and was number one in Jan/Feb of 1980.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2738 on: March 24, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
I have mentioned a friend who was of the opinion that the way to success with a lady was to own Whitney Houston's debut album. I had another friend who believed the same path to success lay in owning George Michael's faith.

It worked even WORSE for him, since a large amount of Michael's audience back then was teenaged girls, which made for problems with my 20 year old friend.

I have no idea how any of us in my circle of friends ever got laid. Including me.  :rollin

:lol :lol as always... :biggrin:

What?  Were you even around during the 80's?  I know MJ was huge, but I'm not surprised at all the Phil is second.  He too was everywhere, all the time.

Haha, I know.  It just looks weird.  I knew he had a ton of hits, but I guess I didn't realize that so many of them went to number 1, One More Night being one of them. *vomits*

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2739 on: March 24, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
George Michael is a name that immediately makes me think of this.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2740 on: March 24, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
George Michael pisses me off.  He had that song "Father Figure", I will be your father figure, put your tiny hand in mine, you know the song.  My girlfriend's father had recently died from a heart attack.  They were really close and it was sudden, so it hit her hard.

George is dragging out the lyrics, and eventually he doesn't even say that last word.  He just says "I will be your father..."  I look over at my girlfriend, and she's crying.  She's thinking about her dad.  Fuck you, George Michael.  Fucking with a girl's emotions like that.  "I will be your father".  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2741 on: March 24, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
I honestly don't know what to make of that post. ???

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2742 on: March 24, 2013, 11:31:30 PM »
I don't know, either.  The "MTV in the 80s" thread and the "Classic Rock song of the Day" threads both stir up a lot of memories, many of which I'd forgotten.  But I remember listening to George Michael singing "I will be your father" while my girlfriend cried.

Songs about how you'll love someone forever or always be there for her or would jump on a grenade for her or blow yourself up for her, apparently girls like to hear that kind of thing.  But in that moment, promising to be someone's father, that just seemed really cheap and cheesy.  So it pissed me off.

"Father Figure" was the second song from the album Faith.  That's why I thought of it.  I mean, you followed me that far, right?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
George Michael pisses me off.  He had that song "Father Figure", I will be your father figure, put your tiny hand in mine, you know the song.  My girlfriend's father had recently died from a heart attack.  They were really close and it was sudden, so it hit her hard.

George is dragging out the lyrics, and eventually he doesn't even say that last word.  He just says "I will be your father..."  I look over at my girlfriend, and she's crying.  She's thinking about her dad.  Fuck you, George Michael.  Fucking with a girl's emotions like that.  "I will be your father".  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2744 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
I wasn't sure if you were being serious or quoting a parody or something, Orbert.  But it's all good. :)

Stories like that - well, maybe not just like that ;) :lol hehe- are what make this thread great, IMO.  For those of us who grew up in the 80s and have strong nostalgia and memories of a lot of these songs, posters' stories behind them are the meat of this thread, so I welcome any and all stories. :tup :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2745 on: March 25, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
No, it was 100% serious.  I already thought "I will be your father figure" was a kinda stupid concept for a song, but when I saw what it did to a girl who'd just lost her father, I felt nothing but contempt for the guy who would write such a song.  It just struck me as a such a cheap thing to do.  Obviously that's not what he had in mind when he wrote the song, and he wasn't intentionally playing with her emotions, but hey, I was young.  I still hate George Michael, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2746 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
No, it was 100% serious.  I already thought "I will be your father figure" was a kinda stupid concept for a song, but when I saw what it did to a girl who'd just lost her father, I felt nothing but contempt for the guy who would write such a song.  It just struck me as a such a cheap thing to do.  Obviously that's not what he had in mind when he wrote the song, and he wasn't intentionally playing with her emotions, but hey, I was young.  I still hate George Michael, though.

I'm a little confused.  Your hating on George Michael for writing the song because it affected your girlfriend who lost her father in a negative way?  Your treating him like he wrote the song specifically for her to fuck with her emotions.  When in fact the concept might be totally different and he obviously doesn't know you or your girlfriend, yet because of this, he's an asshole for writing the song.  That's just lunacy.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2747 on: March 25, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
That's just how I roll.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: March 25, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
That's just how I roll.

That's not very fair on George Michael.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2749 on: March 25, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
I'm okay with that.  He's just another pop diva, as far as I can tell.  Talented, sure, but nothing special.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2750 on: March 26, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Stryper - Always There for You

This was a much bigger MTV hit than Billboard hit. It didn't break the top 40 charts, but the video was played non-stop on MTV for months and did well on their top 20 video countdown, IIRC.  Those of us with good memories remember that MTV had a major hard-on for Stryper in 1987 and 1988.  All five of their videos got played a ton, and this was probably my favorite of the five at the time; I loved this song, cheese and all. ;) :lol  Now, it is still an enjoyable song, but it hasn't stayed with me like so many other 80s songs have. Guess the nostalgia just doesn't kick in on this one.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2751 on: March 26, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
Yeah, I really like these guys, but this song didn't really do much for me then or now, the video and constant MTV play notwithstanding.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2752 on: March 26, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2753 on: March 26, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
:clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2754 on: March 26, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
Coz just won the whole internet.  Well played.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2755 on: March 26, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
I'm touched, deeply.

(No, not like that!  Get your mind out of the gutter!)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2756 on: March 26, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
Holy LOL!!

I'm with bosk1 on the Stryper song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2757 on: March 26, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2758 on: March 26, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Always There For You is excellent.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2759 on: March 26, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
Coz just won the whole internet.  Well played.

This.  :tup :tup

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2760 on: March 26, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
I actually liked Stryper for a while, and would confuse the fuck out of metal head friends by playing Slayer's Hell Awaits and then Stryper's Soliders Under Command back to back. (I had the latter on vinyl. WHITE vinyl! Thing looked fucking amazing.) but by the time of this song, the band was leaning far too towards the commercial, more hard rock, power ballad side for me. Which was a shame, because they actually played melodic, catchy metal better than a LOT of bands that did it. Back then Stryper looked silly, but in all honesty, looking back now, they looked no less silly than Poison did.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:20 AM »

:rollin

Poor George, he didn't even do anything wrong.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2762 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:42 AM »
He made my girlfriend cry.  We hates him!  We hates him forever, my precious!   >:(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2763 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Huey Lewis & the News - Do You Believe in Love

Their first big hit, and the first song I knew by them, I always liked this song; very catchy! And it is still one of the four or five Huey Lewis & the News songs that I will put on my 80s mp3 CDs.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2764 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
Trivia bit about this song: it was written by Mutt Lange, who at that time was largely known as being AC/DC's producer, since Def Leppard hadn't blown up yet. Which meant a few young hard rock fans who found this out were thinking "wait, what?"  :lol In hindsight it makes sense, but back then we didn't really know about the wider careers of producers, we just knew when they produced something we owned. Catchy song, though. I can't help but think the music video, which had Huey and the band following the girl around her house belting out the song, would be received very differently today. SOMEONE would say that Huey was stalking her these days.  :lol