Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308328 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2660 on: March 15, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
I just checked it out on YouTube.  Not a bad little tune, I guess.  Basically A Flock of Seagulls without any words (surprise!).  At least it ends, in a FoS way, but that's still better than a lame fadeout, especially considering how repetitive the tune itself is.

I'm thinking that if that's the best instrumental of the year, then that must've been a pretty weak year.  But The Grammys are always subject to whatever gets nominated, and that depends on what people have even heard, and what's cool at the time.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2661 on: March 15, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
Here were the other nominees

Dixie Dregs - "Industry Standard"
Maynard Ferguson - "Don't Stop"
King Crimson - "Requiem
Van Morrison - "Scandinavia"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2662 on: March 15, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »
Dregs are cool, but "Industry Standard" isn't one of my faves from them.
Maynard's also pretty cool, but all his tunes sound the same.  Big Band blasting, then Maynard takes a solo somewhere between the stratosphere and what only dogs and cats can hear.
"Requiem" is one of my less favorite King Crimson instrumentals, but I guess it's cool to see them in the list.
I didn't know Van Morrison did instrumentals, since he's primarily a vocalist.

Given all this, I guess I'm not surprised that A Flock of Seagulls actually won.  The Grammys are all a popularity contest anyway, and they were hot.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2663 on: March 15, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
Wrap your head around this, speaking about it being a popularity contest. The Police won this category the previous year. Guess what was one of the songs they beat?

YYZ  :facepalm:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2664 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
They won for "Behind My Camel" didn't they?  I think I remember hearing that.  I love "YYZ", but you have to admit, the vast majority of normal people are going to prefer something a bit less unconventional.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2665 on: March 15, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
Pink Floyd isn't exactly conventional and yet they won in 94

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2666 on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:32 AM »
True.  But again, it depends on who the competition was.  Also, compare "Marooned" to "YYZ".  Even if it was just those two choices, you know "YYZ" would go down.  "Popularity contest" is not necessarily derogatory.  It just means what's most popular among the general population, and there can be an upside to be hugely popular.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2667 on: March 15, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
Rush even getting a grammy nomination is like winning, really.

Howard Jones - No One Is to Blame

Huge hit, and while it sounds very much mid 80s, it was never a song I liked a lot.  I don't dislike it, and it sounds enjoyable enough when I hear it, but this was never a song I just had or wanted to hear.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2668 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
A very so-so song. I do have it on my iPod, but very rarely listen to it

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
I really liked Howard Jones songs back then. Not enough to buy anything of his, but enough to turn him up when he came on the radio.

Haven't heard anything of his in ages. Going to assume it hasn't aged well to my ears.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2670 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
I really liked Howard Jones songs back then. Not enough to buy anything of his, but enough to turn him up when he came on the radio.

Yeah, that's about where I am with him.  "Things Can Only Get Better" was the biggie, but he had a few others.  Good enough to crank up when they come on.

My Calculus professor was Dr. Howard Jones, and of course we called him Dr. Jones.  My wife (then girlfriend) knew him as well.  To this day, whenever we hear a Howard Jones song on the radio, we say "It's Dr. Howard Jones!"  Silly inside joke.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2671 on: March 15, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
This is the one Phil Collins played drums on, isn't it? I remember a MTV concert with Howard Jones where he turned this sound into a solo piano piece that was practically a comedy number, with lots of adlibs and asides. And I never was sure why, but I loved it. "Oh, you only came here to see that one single? Take THIS."  :lol

Mind you it probably didn't help in the long run...
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2672 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
Howard Jones - No One Is to Blame

Eh... okay every once in a while I guess, but nothing I actively seek out to listen to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2673 on: March 16, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

Good song, but it still surprises me that this was so popular.  It not only went to number 1, but when VH1 did a top 100 songs of the 80s list a few years ago, it was number 6.  I mean, it was a good song, but that good?  I think the majority of their 80s hits were better, but that's just me.  Also, I didn't realize it back then, but it is now so obvious to me that the bass line is the same one as in Billie Jean (Michael Jackson admitted to "borrowing" it). 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2674 on: March 16, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
This was part of the 80's drum machine, automated, formulaic Hall & Oates that I found so annoying because of what it was... yet so catchy and fun despite what it was.  I secretly hated myself for enjoying their music.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2675 on: March 17, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
Ehhhhhh... no.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2676 on: March 17, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2677 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
 :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2678 on: March 17, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
Asia -  Don't Cry

One of the few post-debut album songs by them I like, I remember liking the song a lot back then, but I don't remember the video much.  It gets played quite a bit on Totally 80s nowadays, but I never seem to remember it.  I sure remember the song, though; I still dig it.

Online T-ski

« Reply #2679 on: March 18, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hall & Oates + 80's = Awesome.  This song is great.

Asia -  Don't Cry

One of the few post-debut album songs by them I like, I remember liking the song a lot back then, but I don't remember the video much.  It gets played quite a bit on Totally 80s nowadays, but I never seem to remember it.  I sure remember the song, though; I still dig it.

I came across this video a couple of months ago and had zero recognition of it.  Love the song.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2680 on: March 18, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »

A Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song

I Ran is the song I think of when this band is mentioned, but I forget that they had two other pretty popular hits, this being one of them. 

I can't think of a single song I have ever heard from them that I didn't like, this song included.  (can't remember whether I've mentioned it or not, but Rock & Soul pt. I was the second album I ever purchased, right behind Queen - The Game)  I don't specifically remember the video, but I know I saw it a bunch. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: March 18, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
Yeah, Hall and Oates never really released a bad song, everything from them is gold.  Wasn't a big Asia fan though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2682 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
While I didn't mind Asia's Alpha, I will say that the criticisms directed at the first album-too pop oriented, too commercial-are perfectly legitimate ones to make at Alpha. While I like some of it-The Smile Has Left Your Eyes is only behind Without You on my Asia list, and is the most underrated power ballad of the 80s-Don't Cry's just a pale shadow of the hits from the debut.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:40 AM »
While I didn't mind Asia's Alpha, I will say that the criticisms directed at the first album-too pop oriented, too commercial-are perfectly legitimate ones to make at Alpha. While I like some of it-The Smile Has Left Your Eyes is only behind Without You on my Asia list, and is the most underrated power ballad of the 80s-Don't Cry's just a pale shadow of the hits from the debut.

Jaq, well said.

I do remember asking my paerents if I could stay up on a school nigth to see the world premier video od "Don't Cry".  It was on at 11 pm.  WFT MTV?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2684 on: March 19, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »
Devo - Whip It

This was another one of those videos that was played non-stop in the very early MTV days, but while I get a kick out of the video, the song never did anything for me. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2685 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
Terrible, terrible song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2686 on: March 19, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
Terrible, terrible song.

Yes.  And I love it anyway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2687 on: March 19, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »
Eh, not a fan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: March 19, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »
Yeah, it's bad, but I like it.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2689 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
Whip It was another video I actually saw first on HBO's Video Jukebox, which is kind of funny given that it's a fairly, for the time, off color song and video. I guess that HBO went through the same process of "hey, is it a music video? PLAY IT!" MTV did.  :lol But without having to resort to playing metal bands.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2690 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
Asia -  Don't Cry

Didn't remember this one until I brought up the YT video for it.  I remember not really liking this one as much as I did the debut album.

Devo - Whip It

Who CARES if it's bad?  It's fricking DEVO. :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2691 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
The Honeydrippers - Sea of Love

Full disclosure: this was long before I had even heard of Led Zeppelin or knew of the original Sea of Love, so I did enjoy this song to some extent, although I did wonder why the guy who did cool songs like Big Log was now in some band called The Honeydrippers. :lol  Now, I guess it is a pretty good cover, even if it now sounds hokey as hell.  I reckon it would have at the time if I had had a clue.  But I was 12, so screw it. :facepalm: :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2692 on: March 20, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
For the most part, I just hate everything Robert Plant has ever done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2693 on: March 20, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
For the most part, I just hate everything Robert Plant has ever done.

:eek :eek :eek :eek

I...have...no...words.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: March 20, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
I love Plant's solo work except for this.  I saw the Shaken' 'n' Stirred tour and it was great expect when he did the Honeydrippers.  Not that it's a bad song but, I just couldn't get into it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:34:54 PM by kingshmegland »