Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313085 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2450 on: February 07, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
Noted.  I totally forgot that it was supposed to be a plus sign. :facepalm:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2451 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
Really cool song. neat video too

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2452 on: February 07, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
Noted.  I totally forgot that it was supposed to be a plus sign. :facepalm:

Well, as you know from the ELP thread, I'm pretty anal about stuff like that.  It was meant to be a "gentle" correction.   :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2453 on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
Oh, I know. :)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2454 on: February 07, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »
Mike + the Mechanics - Silent Running

Aces, still dig this one. :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2455 on: February 08, 2013, 10:03:50 AM »
Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like a Lady)

It wasn't a favorite of mine at the time, but I got a kick out of this song when it was first released.  Aside from the Walk This Way collaboration with Run-D.M.C., this was the first song I ever heard by Aerosmith.  I had heard of them, but didn't know anything by them, so I think I kinda fell in the "Oh, this band is supposedly great, and this is a brand new song, so it has to be good."  What the hell, I was only 14 at the time! :lol  That is not to say that I dislike now or anything - it's still an enjoyable song.  It's just not a song I ever revisit anymore.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2456 on: February 08, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
I like most Aerosmith, including their funny, less-serious songs, but this one was never a fave.  It's catchy and fun, I guess.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2457 on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »
This song is pretty much the dividing line between Old Aerosmith and New Aerosmith, though it amuses me how much music and time is on the side of the line marked "new"  :rollin This was the album where the party all the time, rock and roll all night, dirty bluesy Aerosmith evolved into, basically, a middle aged, slower, calmer version of the same band, and in doing so became a bigger band than they were before. They were still demonstrably Aerosmith, but the edges had been filed off and the inevitable outside songwriters had arrived-it seemed like if you were a 70s hard rock success, you wound up getting Desmond Child and Holly Knight forced upon you as songwriters. Never really liked the song, though I was a sucker for Angel. Gotta love those big 80s power ballads.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: February 08, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »
70's Aerosmith  :tup

this is when Aerosmith went and sold their souls to the MTV demons  :tdwn
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2459 on: February 08, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like a Lady)

I like the Run-D.M.C. version of Walk This Way MUCH better than Dude.  Always seemed too corny.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: February 08, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
Aerosmith is to this thread what Genesis is to the Classic Rock thread. Instant :puke: on my part.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2461 on: February 09, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »
Kenny Loggins - Heart to Heart

I have to admit that this was a favorite of mine when I was 9.  I don't remember it being a huge hit, but there was something about it that I really liked.  There aren't many Kenny Loggins songs I go back to anymore - in fact, this might the only one :lol - but when I am in the mood for early 80s stuff, this one is always in rotation. Without a doubt, a nostalgic favorite of mine. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2462 on: February 09, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
Ugh.  I was a huge Loggins & Messina fan -- okay, I guess it was really just the one album -- but I don't think I liked anything Kenny Loggins did solo.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2463 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
When I see a Kenny Loggins song from the 80s get mentioned, the first thing I think is "what movie was this from?"  :lol

And the only thing.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2464 on: February 10, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
Robert Plant - In the Mood

Watching it now, kind of a funny video, featuring the random shots of people dancing to the music, but there are some really cool moments.  The way it ends how it starts is really cool, but it's easy for that to get lost among the unintentional comedic value of the rest of the video.  The song itself is terrific; one of his best solo songs ever.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2465 on: February 10, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
I remember the back lash a bit from this song but I dug tis song and the album.  This is when Robert started to explore new musical ground.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2466 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
You have to give Robert Plant credit; he could have spent the 80s banging out low grade versions of Zeppelin's cock rock swagger and made a fortune, but instead he decided to forge his own path. Largely. Tall Cool One proves how misguided Plant trying to do Zeppelin swagger on his own would have been. Even his debut avoided largely the Zep style for something new, but this album made it obvious that Plant wasn't going to dwell on the past often. Even revisiting Zep music with Page in the 90s, he put a new spin on it. I'm sure these days it annoys a lot of people that Plant wouldn't go back to the well for a Zep tour after O2, but it shouldn't have shocked anyone. He'd been doing his own thing since the 80s.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2467 on: February 10, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
Yep, Plant does his own thing, and that's fine with me.  I'm not a huge fan of this particular song, but it's not bad, and I like that Robert was doing what he wanted to do, trying out new things as a singer, and not just endlessly rehashing the glory days.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2468 on: February 10, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
It's funny. My recollection of MTV in the 80s was that it was pretty cool.  This thread seems to be an A-Z list of everything I hated about MTV. Not only did I despise all of these songs but they played them 20 times a fucking day. Now I'm just confused.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2469 on: February 11, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »
INXS - New Sensation

Another big hit from the Kick record, this was another song I liked a lot; probably my 3rd favorite of the hits from that record.  Watching it now, the video is corny to say the least, with those weird effects during the chorus, but back in 1987, it was kind of cool.  I actually think this song hasn't aged as well as most of the other songs from Kick, but it is still an enjoyable tune.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2470 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »
Another catchy song by INXS.  I like this one.  I haven't heard it in a while, so I can't say how well it's aged, but I know I crank it up when I hear it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2471 on: February 12, 2013, 03:57:20 AM »
it's alright

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:22 AM »
You mean New Shitsation.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2473 on: February 12, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
New Sensation might not have been written explicitly in the hopes it got picked up for a commercial...but it sure as fuck SOUNDS like it did.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2474 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
Heart to Heart :facepalm:

In The Mood :tup

New Sensation :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2475 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
R.E.M. - Stand

I liked this song when it was first out, but I got tired of it very quickly, and it is now a song I avoid listening to it all costs.  I don't like much R.E.M. in general - I don't care for Michael Stipe's voice or his delivery - but this song is really quite nauseating now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2476 on: February 12, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
Some R.E.M. songs hit a groove and work even though the lyrics are really repetitive, and some R.E.M. songs are just kinda boring and annoying because the lyrics are really repetitive.  This one falls into the second category.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2477 on: February 13, 2013, 12:04:29 AM »
Prince & the Revolution - Let's Go Crazy

The other number 1 hit from Purple Rain, this is a great rocker, while still incorporating elements of dance into it.  Prince displays his prowess on the guitar, especially at the end of the song.  Say what you want about the guy, but the guy is a helluva musician, and this is easily one of the best songs he ever wrote, and one of the standout MTV hits/videos of 1984, which is really saying something considering how strong of a year it was for pop songs.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2478 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:26 AM »
R.E.M. - Stand

I liked this song when it was first out, but I got tired of it very quickly, and it is now a song I avoid listening to it all costs.  I don't like much R.E.M. in general - I don't care for Michael Stipe's voice or his delivery - but this song is really quite nauseating now.

Chriselliottcore :metal
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2479 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:55 AM »
R.E.M. - Stand

You know... I dug the holy FUCK out of the Purple Rain ST back in the day, but Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry and Purple Rain (the song) are about the only ones I can still listen to without reaching to change the song. :-\

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2480 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
Let's Go Crazy is greatness

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2481 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
R.E.M. - Stand

Chriselliottcore :metal

I hope others on the board got this..
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2482 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »

You know... I dug the holy FUCK out of the Purple Rain ST back in the day, but Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry and Purple Rain (the song) are about the only ones I can still listen to without reaching to change the song. :-\

This, minus When Doves Cry. Purple Rain was the one album it was okay for everyone to own-no metal head looked at you funny if he saw it in your collection, as it was in mine, and I think a lot of it had to do with Prince's guitar playing on Let's Go Crazy and Purple Rain.  These days, though, the rest of the album just doesn't work without the movie.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2483 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
Let's Go Crazy is outstanding.  I've always wanted to learn it and open a show with it.

The whole Purple Rain album is excellent.  Stuff like The Beautiful Ones and Computer Blue, the deep cuts - just great stuff.  LGC is just a balls-out good time, capped with a great example of Prince's under-ratedness as a guitarist.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2484 on: February 13, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Totally agree with ya, Coz.

This, minus When Doves Cry. Purple Rain was the one album it was okay for everyone to own-no metal head looked at you funny if he saw it in your collection, as it was in mine, and I think a lot of it had to do with Prince's guitar playing on Let's Go Crazy and Purple Rain.  These days, though, the rest of the album just doesn't work without the movie.

Yeah, WDC was an aberration I think.  It still KIND OF works on its own, but I agree with you that the other songs really need the movie for context.