Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308349 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2275 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
Hmm, I don't know that one, actually.  Jesse's girl was kinda cool.  Good riff.  Nice hook.  I remember there were actually TV commercials about the album that was on, where the announcer basically said, "you know him as [whatever character he played on whatever soap opera he was on]; but what you didn't know is that Rick Springfield ROCKS! [cue up Jesse's Girl video]."  :lol

I have a friend who actually babysat and tutored one of his kids in Malibu.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2276 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
Rick Springfield - Rock of Life

Jesse's Girl was his biggest hit of the 80s, but I always thought this hit from 1988 was much, much better.  I was a big fan of this song when it was out, and I still like it.  In fact, I had the Rock of Life cassette, and I remember all of Side 1 being really solid, although it's probably been over 20 years since I've heard any of the songs besides Rock of Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkXMrjrX-ic

I absolutly love this song.  There's something about the jangly guitar and then the power chords.  I had this on one of my thousand VCR tapes I threw away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2277 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
I have no memory of any music Rick Springfield made after about...hmm...1983?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2278 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »

Jesse's Girl was his biggest hit of the 80s, but I always thought this hit from 1988 was much, much better.  I was a big fan of this song when it was out, and I still like it.  In fact, I had the Rock of Life cassette, and I remember all of Side 1 being really solid, although it's probably been over 20 years since I've heard any of the songs besides Rock of Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkXMrjrX-ic

I absolutly love this song.  There's something about the jangly guitar and then the power chords.  I had this on one of my thousand VCR tapes I threw away.

:tup :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2279 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
Talking Heads - Wild Wild Life

They had better, but still a good song.  Talking Heads = :tup

I don't remember this one, even after pulling up the video link for it.  I'm chalking this one up to late 80s overlook and Wey being the Rick Springfield fan of the house.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2280 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:19 PM »
Yeah I watched the video too and I still don't remember it, but by then, my MTV watching was strictly Headbanger's Ball on Saturday night, which meant a lot of videos just flew under my radar. Having heard it, I would have thought it sounded out of date even then: that song should've come out in about 1983 or so.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2281 on: January 18, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Dad didn't have cable at that time (and we were in the boonies to boot), so if I didn't hear it on what radio I listened to at that time it flew under my radar as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2282 on: January 18, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
I have a feeling Kev and I were very similar recording so many damn videos and concerts on MTV when they played all that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2283 on: January 18, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
I wouldn't doubt it - hell, I recorded a whole bunch of MTV stuff too (when we finally got cable, that is).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2284 on: January 18, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
Same here.  I had a few VHS tapes full of MTV videos that were all missing the first 10 seconds or so that it took me to recognize the video and press "play."  Every once in awhile, I'll hear a song that I mainly only listened to from those recorded videos, and be like, "oh, wow.  So that's how the beginning of that song goes."  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2285 on: January 18, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »
<--- Guilty as charged. :lolpalm:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2286 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:09 PM »
I had something like 5 full VHS tapes at one time that were heavy metal videos with the first few seconds missing, as Kev said. Some inexplicable things happened on some of them-like the tape where I had the first two minutes of Gutter Ballet by Savatage rudely interrupted by Alice Cooper's House Of Fire. I'm assuming alcohol was involved in that mishap.  :lol I had those tapes until 1998, when they had the misfortune to be under a leak in my roof. Five VHS tapes of metal videos from 1986 to 1992, man. Crying shame.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2287 on: January 19, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
 :'( :hug:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2288 on: January 20, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »
I still have a handful of old VHS tapes full of MTV videos from the 80s buried along with tons of movies on VHS in several boxes.  I refuse to throw them away. :lol :lol

The Cars - Drive

This wasn't my favorite of the Heartbeat City hits at the time, but it is the one that has stayed with me the most.  It's a terrific slow(er) song, and unlike a lot of popular 80s ballads, it manages to kick ass while not being cheesy at all. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2289 on: January 20, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
For me, it's probably my favorite song of theirs. So beautiful and haunting

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: January 20, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
Wasn't a big fan of the Cars, but I love that song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2291 on: January 20, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
I like "Drive".  Every Cars song seemed to have at least some keyboards in it, but this is one of the few that's really built around them.  Also, I didn't realize how much Benjamin Orr sang lead for The Cars.  I thought it was mostly Rik Ocasek, and after they made such a big deal about how Ben sang this one, smarter people than me pointed out that he'd always sang a lot of lead, all the way back to the first album.  I just thought Rik had a couple of different voices that he used.  (He did -- his and Ben's)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2292 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
Haha, that's funny.  But even now, on the rare occasions I listen to The Cars, I don't even notice which guy is singing lead since their voices can sound fairly similar.  Like, Just What I Needed sounds like Ocasek (and I always assumed it was), but apparently that was Orr.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
I have been listening to more Cars lately and was also surprised to see how much Benjamin sang, when I too thought Ric did most of it.

I remember my parents really liking this song, and I even think they had the 45 (that is a record, for those unfamiliar with the term). One of the songs they played a lot that I liked. Been ages since I've heard it though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2294 on: January 21, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Even as a young metalhead, I never had a problem with liking the Cars, or admitting it to anyone who gave me a hassle over it. Ric Ocasek could craft just amazing pop-rock songs, seemingly endlessly. This wasn't my favorite Cars ballad-that'd be I'm Not The One-but it's a lovely ballad, from a damn near perfect pop-rock album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2295 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
Information Society - What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)

Ho-hum.  I knew a few people who loved this tune, and there were obviously a lot of others who loved it, since it went to number 3 on the pop chart, but it was and is nothing more than an afterthought for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: January 21, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
I loved this song, and the album got regular play from me. They got bonus points from me for the Trek samples
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2297 on: January 21, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
Only thing I remember about this song was the Star Trek sample that made up the title. To the point that if something is ever described or marketed as being "pure energy" I hear the sample in my head.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2298 on: January 22, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »
Sheena Easton - Strut

Okay song, but more importantly, Easton has sort of become one of the forgotten hotties of the 80s. :lol  Even with her big 80s hairdo in the video for this tune, she still looks great.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: January 22, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »
Information Society - What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)

Ho-hum.  I knew a few people who loved this tune, and there were obviously a lot of others who loved it, since it went to number 3 on the pop chart, but it was and is nothing more than an afterthought for me.

I blanked that video out of my mind.  thanks Kev!! :lol

Sheena Easton.  Just mute the song and stare at her.  It's much better.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2300 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
I love Sheena Easton. This song is one of my least favorites of hers. Everyone knows also she originally did Wind Beneath My Wings, right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2301 on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »

Sheena Easton.  Just mute the song and stare at her.  It's much better.

Haha, exactly!

Everyone knows also she originally did Wind Beneath My Wings, right?

I had no idea, but I dislike that song, so my level of care has always been nil for finding out any info about that tune. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2302 on: January 22, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
Sheena Easton - Strut

Okay song, but more importantly, Easton has sort of become one of the forgotten hotties of the 80s. :lol  Even with her big 80s hairdo in the video for this tune, she still looks great.

Not forgotten by me. Sheena Easton was sooooooooooo hot back then. Music? She did music?  :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2303 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
In a lot of ways, I think Prince was trying to have Carmen Electra be the Sheena Easton of the 90's

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
Hmm, I don't know that one, actually.  Jesse's girl was kinda cool.  Good riff.  Nice hook.  I remember there were actually TV commercials about the album that was on, where the announcer basically said, "you know him as [whatever character he played on whatever soap opera he was on]; but what you didn't know is that Rick Springfield ROCKS! [cue up Jesse's Girl video]."  :jets:

I have a friend who actually babysat and tutored one of his kids in Malibu.

Dr. Noah Drake and General Hospital, respectively.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2305 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
:lolpalm:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2306 on: January 22, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »
Drive = :heart

What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy) was always a favorite of mine for some reason.  Cool song.

Strut = black_floyd's puking emote

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2307 on: January 23, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »
Lou Gramm - Midnight Blue

This is a nice, little toe-tapper.  Not something I'd call a favorite, but still an enjoyable song.  And it kind of stood out in 1987 as a rock song that was actually a rock song, not a big pile of cheese.  In other words, this song could have been released in 1977 and it would have sounded just right on a modern day classic rock radio station.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2308 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »
Dug that tune a lot.  Bought the CD.  That album was just ok but the single was very good.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2309 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
Midnight Blue did have a kind of timeless rock song quality to it, and would have easily fit in on any of Foreigner's first three albums without causing much fuss (and probably would have improved Head Games to no good end.) Lou Gramm's a severely underrated vocalist; the guy could WAIL.