Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 305519 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1960 on: December 04, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
The Motels - Suddenly Last Summer

I hadn't seen this video in probably close to 30 years until a few weeks ago, and when I saw it, I didn't remember a single bit of it.  Weird.  Because I remember hearing the song a lot when I was kid; it must have been on the radio more than on MTV, because my mind simply doesn't forget videos I saw a lot. But whatever, it's a nice little catchy tune.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1961 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
I think I may have never heard this before now. I liked the chicks in the video. Early 80s chicks looked so pure and girl-next-doorish.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1962 on: December 05, 2012, 02:16:36 AM »
:yawn:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1963 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »
Don't even vaguely remember this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1964 on: December 05, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Ahh yes, the Motels. One of those bands that had been around for a while, flirted briefly with mainstream success with a couple of singles, and then faded away. This actually wasn't unusual in rock music, but when you had a video that was played endlessly for a few months, like Suddenly Last Summer, it became more obvious when a band was an one hit wonder. MTV had a distorting effort on the success of a band; just checked on Wiki and found that the album this came off of only went gold. But given the amount of video airplay you'd think it was a multi-platnium wonder.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1965 on: December 05, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
Don't forget: Martha Davis (singer for The Motels) was one of The Three Most Important People in the World.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1966 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
Ahh yes, the Motels. One of those bands that had been around for a while, flirted briefly with mainstream success with a couple of singles, and then faded away. This actually wasn't unusual in rock music, but when you had a video that was played endlessly for a few months, like Suddenly Last Summer, it became more obvious when a band was an one hit wonder. MTV had a distorting effort on the success of a band; just checked on Wiki and found that the album this came off of only went gold. But given the amount of video airplay you'd think it was a multi-platnium wonder.

That was probably true more often than not, but Only the Lonely (which I haven't featured yet in this thread) was just as big a hit as Suddenly Last Summer.  Just saying. :)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1967 on: December 05, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
Suddenly Last Soma.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1968 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »
^ I'd rather hear THAT to be honest... :jets:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1969 on: December 05, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »

That was probably true more often than not, but Only the Lonely (which I haven't featured yet in this thread) was just as big a hit as Suddenly Last Summer.  Just saying. :)

Technically you're right, that would make them a two-hit wonder.  Except the songs sounded exactly the same, so they're still a one-hit wonder.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1970 on: December 05, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
Duran Duran - Rio

This song is all about that bass line.  You don't expect to hear such a killer bass line in a song by Duran Duran, but there it is nonetheless.  The rest of the song is good, too, and the video was good sunshine fun with plenty of glamour and excess.  Very creative and innovative video for its time

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1971 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
An ape I'd heard for this song back in those days... "Her name is Rio and she dances on my face... " :jets:

Didn't dig the song back in the day, but it's really not that bad.  DAT BASS LINE :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: December 05, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
Not my favorite DD song, but recall liking it enough at the time, most likely enhanced by the video. They really killed with their videos. I think DD was the first cassette tape I bought with my own money, but can't remember which one it was.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1973 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
I fucking love DD's 80s guitar tone. Come Undone and Ordinary World were excellent too but in a different way obviously.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1974 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Their vocals, especially the big harmonies, were amazing.  Simon's voice was great, but I did get tired of it by time my girlfriend played an entire Duran Duran album or two or three.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1975 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
If Hungry Like The Wolf made you think "this band is going places" then Rio made you think "this band is going to be fucking HUGE." Duran Duran was one of the earliest bands to realize that music video could be more than just the band playing in front of the camera, filmed on video tape, with maybe a couple of video effects over the screen, and to use their videos to strategically market the band. I never really was a fan of the band, but I could appreciate how good they were at what they did.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1976 on: December 05, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »
I fucking love DD's 80s guitar tone.

The guitar tone in HLTW is awesome.  So very good.  Also, yeah, the videos were excellent.  Rio is an incredibly excellent song.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1977 on: December 05, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »
DD was a great blend of pop and rock... much like Prince, but in a totally different way.  The Reflex was one of my favorite songs of that era.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1978 on: December 05, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
I just went back and relistened to Rio.  For all the times I heard it back when I was a kid and the few times I've heard it since then, there are things I never really noticed until now.  The 16th note synthesizer bit that goes constantly throughout is what always came to mind when thinking about this song, but I never noticed the cool synth lines with the pitch wheel all throughout the chorus.

Sure, I've heard them, but I never HEARD them.  I heard a lot of things going on in the music, but listening to it today and catching that and listening to how it really enhances the chorus - really very cool.  It's one of those things that make such a difference in the music we love that you can't always put your finger on immediately.  Or in this case, in 30 years.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1979 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Fun little fact, I bought Rio and Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind on the same day so you know I was all over the place.  John Taylor's bass playing on this album was unreal.  Loved the frettless work of, "Save a Prayer" to the staccato lines of, "Hungery Like The Wolf" but "Rio" was his best work on that album.

Their first album had a great tune that had such a great line but was re released after Rio broke big here in the states.  See if any remember this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0hogZyRyU
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1980 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
John Taylor was/is an awesome bassist
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1981 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
See if any remember this song.

I was always on the impression that anyone who paid legit attention to pop music in the 80s was fairly aware of Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, Girls on Film, Reflex, and Is There Something I should Know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
See if any remember this song.

I was always on the impression that anyone who paid legit attention to pop music in the 80s was fairly aware of Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, Girls on Film, Reflex, and Is There Something I should Know.

Yes but we are on a Dream Theater Forum so....... :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1983 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »
Their first album had a great tune that had such a great line but was re released after Rio broke big here in the states.  See if any remember this song.

I remember that one - it was one of the very few I actually liked back in the day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1984 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
The Fixx - Stand or Fall

I don't really remember the video, but this was always my favorite Fixx song.  I love the guitar lead, and the way that the keyboards often swirl around it while that lead rings out in the distance is very neat.  Very infectious song, one that probably would have been a bigger hit had it came out a few years later.  In a sense, it was ahead of its time, as it sounds like a song that would have been huge in '84 or '85.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1985 on: December 06, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
LOVE The Fixx, always have.  Great song from a really unique band.

"State your peace tonight" :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »
I will pound my chest and tell everybody I am a huge, The Fixx fan.  Seen them a few times live and they always had a bit of prog in them.  Love the interplay of guitar and bass on this song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1987 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
o/

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
 \O

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1989 on: December 06, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
I will pound my chest and tell everybody I am a huge, The Fixx fan.  Seen them a few times live and they always had a bit of prog in them.  Love the interplay of guitar and bass on this song.

:tup :tup

LOVE The Fixx, always have.  Great song from a really unique band.

"State your peace tonight" :heart

It's about time you started liking some of the featured songs again! :biggrin:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1990 on: December 06, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
It's about time you posted songs I actually LIKE. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1991 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Bah! We can't all love every 80s tune, riiiight? :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1992 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »
The Fixx - Stand or Fall

I don't really remember the video, but this was always my favorite Fixx song.  I love the guitar lead, and the way that the keyboards often swirl around it while that lead rings out in the distance is very neat.  Very infectious song, one that probably would have been a bigger hit had it came out a few years later.  In a sense, it was ahead of its time, as it sounds like a song that would have been huge in '84 or '85.

solid pick, although my fave Fixx song is "Deeper and Deeper."
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »
Yes that's my favorite track as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1994 on: December 06, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
I liked The Fixx.  I thought they had a cool sound, and maybe a little more going on musically than most 80's bands.

My girlfriend didn't like the song because in the video, a horse keeps falling down, and she likes horses so much that it bothered her.  She's a wimp.