Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313260 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1890 on: November 26, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
CURSE YOU KEV.

I had erased that song from my memory. THE HORROR.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1891 on: November 26, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »
That chick died of lung cancer before her 45th birthday :'(
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1892 on: November 26, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
ackkkk, as soon as I saw the song title it all came rushing back.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1893 on: November 26, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »
Okay, time to wash the stink of that song off :lol :lol...

Rush - Tom Sawyer (Exit... Stage Left version)

I am doing this live version because it was the one always played on MTV back in the 80s.  Even as a kid, I thought this song was awesome, even though Geddy Lee's voice irritated me.  I thought that guitar lead right before the "And what you say about company..." the first time was the most badass thing I had ever heard.  I think that little section alone is what sucked me into the song.  Fast forward to years later, Rush eventually became my favorite band and the rest, as they say, is history. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1894 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:53 PM »
I'm not that familiar with the live version.  I had Exit... Stage Left for a week or so but it was stolen by one of my roommates along with a handful of other albums.  I could never prove it, but there's no doubt in my mind.  As much as I missed the albums that he took, I couldn't bring myself to buy them again.  When I bought more music, it had to be different, stuff I hadn't heard yet.

So, uh, cool song.  But I can't comment on the live version.  I've heard the version from Moving Pictures thousands of times, of course, and was even lucky enough to play it a few times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1895 on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
You must not have watched a lot of MTV then, as they played the crap out of that live version.

Another personal note: I used to frequently check albums out of the library as a kid, and I must have checked out the vinyl of ESL at least four or five times, just to listen to Tom Sawyer.  I never bothered listening to any other songs from it. :facepalm: :lol  But what the hell, I was like 11 or 12. :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1896 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Nope, no recollection.  But I'm missing a good-sized chunk of the 80's anyway.  I'm sure it's great.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1897 on: November 26, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
But... I actually LIKE that song by The Waitresses.  If that's wrong, I ain't never gonna be right.

Annnnnddd...

ESL version of Tom Sawyer absolutely slayed the studio version IMO.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1898 on: November 26, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
If you want to see it, Orbert, it's the version of Tom Sawyer that comes from the Exit...Stage Left concert video. MTV lopped Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Red Barchetta out of that concert film and played the hell out of them for months. In the early days of MTV, if you had a concert they played, look out, it became video rotation fodder. As for the song itself-it's fucking Tom Sawyer, man, what do I need to say?
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
Much better song then that waitress thing.  Like 80 billion times better.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1900 on: November 27, 2012, 07:16:42 AM »
Funny... Much Music always played the actual video, of them recording it up in their cabin.  Watching that video is how I learned to play the keyboard melody.  I always loved watching Peart hammer the skins, to the point his set was shaking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1901 on: November 27, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne - If I Close My Eyes Forever

Yawn.  I can see the appeal of this song for a lot of folks, but it never did anything for me. 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1902 on: November 27, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Lita Ford put out a couple of solid hard rock/metal albums before this one. I remember she always said she was never going to sell herself as the main image, that she was a serious musician and all that.

Then Kiss Me Deadly came out and she's all sexy and slinky and vamping all over the place. Welp. Gave up on her long before she put this snoozefest out.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1903 on: November 27, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

Yawn.  I can see the appeal of this song for a lot of folks, but it never did anything for me.

Meh. :yawn:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1904 on: November 27, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »
yeah it is a snoozefest

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1905 on: November 27, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »

OK song but one of the best Ozzy faces in that video.  It's like he thinks he has the make up on from the Bark At The Moon video. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1906 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:48 PM »
Cutting Crew - I've Been in Love Before

Their second biggest hit from Broadcast, for being a ballad, this is a really good song, one that has held up surprisingly well; it has some tasty guitar work throughout, too.  I believe this was a top 10 hit, and the video, while not being anything fancy or notable, got major heavy rotation for quite a while.  It's kind of a forgotten 80s hit, as (I Just) Died in Your Arms is the only song anyone thinks about when this band is mentioned, but they were definitely not a one-hit wonder.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1907 on: November 28, 2012, 12:07:41 AM »
Always liked this song better than Just Died In Your Arms. Probably had something to do with the serious cutie I slow danced with one night at a local club to this song.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1908 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
I had to pull up the video to remember the song - fogey brain.  I remember liking (I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight much better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1909 on: November 28, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Always liked this song better than Just Died In Your Arms. Probably had something to do with the serious cutie I slow danced with one night at a local club to this song.  :lol

That's not nearly as epic a story as we are used to getting from you. :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1910 on: November 28, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »

That's not nearly as epic a story as we are used to getting from you. :biggrin:

They can't all be epics. In the case of the slow dancing cutie, she was dragged off by her friends after that song and I wandered off to another club with my friends. It's a bit of an anticlimax.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1911 on: November 28, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1912 on: November 28, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »
Well played, sir.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1913 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
Huey Lewis and the News - Stuck with You

Like so many of their other videos, Huey was the centerpiece of the "plot," with the News somehow becoming a part of the story, albeit somewhat behind the scenes and in a rather comical fashion.  Love or hate him, this formula often worked, and Stuck with You was no exception.  Entertaining video to a good, catchy song, and the girl in the video was pretty darn attractive, too. :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: November 28, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

Their second biggest hit from Broadcast, for being a ballad, this is a really good song, one that has held up surprisingly well; it has some tasty guitar work throughout, too.  I believe this was a top 10 hit, and the video, while not being anything fancy or notable, got major heavy rotation for quite a while.  It's kind of a forgotten 80s hit, as (I Just) Died in Your Arms is the only song anyone thinks about when this band is mentioned, but they were definitely not a one-hit wonder.

Very good album but believe it or not.  I always found this song to be the weakest one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1915 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
It's pretty simple to use the phrase "catchy as hell" as a blanket statement for Huey Lewis' music and leave it at that. I mentioned this ages ago in this thread, but to me the definition of a catchy song is that you can not hear it for years and the second someone mentions it, you remember it in every detail, and that fits Stuck With You to a T. Haven't heard it for, god, fifteen years or more, but as soon as I saw it was the next song the chorus jumped into my head.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1916 on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »
Huey Lewis and the News - Stuck with You

Like so many of their other videos, Huey was the centerpiece of the "plot," with the News somehow becoming a part of the story, albeit somewhat behind the scenes and in a rather comical fashion.  Love or hate him, this formula often worked, and Stuck with You was no exception.  Entertaining video to a good, catchy song, and the girl in the video was pretty darn attractive, too. :coolio

Not my favorite by them, but like Jaq... once I saw the song title the chorus instantly popped into my head.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1917 on: November 28, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »
i remember the chick in that video being smoking hot...   :eek

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1918 on: November 28, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
While we're on the Huey Lewis thing, I remember Hit Me Like a Hammer being the second single from the album it came from. I can't remember what the first one was. Anyone know?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1919 on: November 28, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »
[LMWTFY]

It was Couple Days Off.

[/LMWTFY]

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1920 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
i remember the chick in that video being smoking hot...   :eek

Keely Shaye Smith, now Keely Shaye Brosnan.  Yes, she married Pierce Brosnan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1921 on: November 29, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »

Very good album but believe it or not.  I always found this song to be the weakest one.

Hmmm, I can't say that, but Broadcast is very strong from start to finish.  I wore that cassette out back in the late 80s. :heart

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: November 29, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

Hmmm, I can't say that, but Broadcast is very strong from start to finish.  I wore that cassette out back in the late 80s. :heart

As did I.    It Shouldn't Take Too Long is the highlight for me.  Great album from start to finish.  Not that I didn't like IBILB but the rest of the album was that strong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1923 on: November 30, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
For sure.  I was always big on Life in a Dangerous Time, Sahara and The Broadcast.  In fact, a song like The Broadcast, the way it stretched out and almost had that 'epic' feel, was one of those songs I liked early on that helped set the tone for my eventual love for epic songs. :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1924 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »
Sade - Smooth Operator

I was never really a fan of this tune, but I can see why it was so big.  Personally, it always struck me as much that should have been used in soft porn. :lol