Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308284 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1820 on: November 17, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »
My god...wasnt Holy Diver an absolute BEAST when it came out in the 80's?
I think there was a point where Sreaming for Vengeance, Number of the Beast, and Holy Diver were playing in my boom box non-stop.
Yup! Absolutely!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1821 on: November 17, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
Guns N' Roses - Patience

This is probably the GNR song I liked the most back in the later 80s; it is an enjoyable, laid back tune.  While often called a power ballad, I don't see it that way.  It isn't ripe with a lot of the stereotypes that dot the most well-known 80s power ballads.  It sounds like a more classic power ballad, for lack of a better term.  It's too bad that Rose didn't use his voice that way more often, as he could sound pretty good when scaling his voice down a few notches, instead of wailing and making that noise that usually comes out of his mouth.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1822 on: November 17, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
Enduring memory of this song: a performance of it on an awards show (was it the MTV Music Video Awards? I'm not sure) where, for reasons that remained rather vague, the song featured drums...played by Don Henley. I think Axl mumbled something about needing a drum part for the band to keep time live, but it pretty much said to the world "Steven Adler? Yeah he's gone." Though it took a bit more to make that official, as memory serves. The other enduring memory of the time was how much trouble the song "One In A Million" got the band in, which was one of the earlier signs that Axl was going to be a problem in the future. And boy, WAS he. Given how bombastic GNR got after this, Patience is a nice, stripped down ballad, and a direction they should have tried more often instead of being so damn over the top.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1823 on: November 17, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
Yeah, I definitely liked this song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: November 17, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1825 on: November 17, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »

Yeah, me too. And by "me too", I mean that I couldn't fucking stand it. Acoustic and GnR did not mix well for me. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1826 on: November 17, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
Yeah, it sounded too much like the cliche "Hard rock band slows it down for the chicks" song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1827 on: November 17, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Bleeeeeech.  Next...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1828 on: November 19, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1829 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »
Tears for Fears - Shout

This is another one of those 80s songs that I liked a lot when it was out, but don't listen to much anymore.  When I do, it still sounds like a good song, but I just don't get the urge to listen to it, even when in the mood for 80s stuff.  The instrumental break in the middle is still pretty fantastic, though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Yet another decent song that I still enjoy when played, most likely only for nostalgic purposes.  If I heard it for the first time today, wouldn't be my thang.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: November 19, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
I agree 100% with Kev. I thought it was cool (for some reason!) when they played the drums on the ground during the instrumental break, which does sound pretty rockin' for a Tears for Fears song.

I recall they had pretty cool videos, which probably helped offset the mediocrity of their music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1832 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
Tears for Fears - Shout

I hated them when they first broke, but there was always something about this song that was just so pervasive.  Not my favorite by them, but it's at the top of my list for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: November 19, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
Never cared for them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1834 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
This is a song I can do without.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1835 on: November 19, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »
I see what you did there.

And I approve.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1836 on: November 19, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
Joe Jackson - Breaking Us in Two

The other big hit from Night and Day, I don't like this quite as much as Steppin' Out, but it's still a damn fine tune.  Checking out the video again, it didn't look familiar to me at all. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1837 on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »

And I approve.

:biggrin:  ...although, technically, my post said the exact opposite of how I feel about the song.  I pretty much adore that entire album.

Joe Jackson:  Eh, like a lot of videos, I didn't hate this one, but just viewed at as "filler" while waiting for something else to come on that I was interested in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1838 on: November 19, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
Someone said, ages ago in this thread, that if I didn't have a story about the song in question, it must have sucked.

Apply that to the Joe Jackson song.  :lol As for Shout, I was always fond of the instrumental break and the guitar solo, and it certainly was a song that got you to sing along with the chorus. But I wasn't really a fan.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1839 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

And I approve.

:biggrin:  ...although, technically, my post said the exact opposite of how I feel about the song.  I pretty much adore that entire album.

I don't hate Tears for Fears or anything -- for one thing, Roland has an incredible voice -- but they just never really thrilled me.  Therefore it's just a simple statement of fact that I could do without them.  Also, it reminded me of a time over at my brother-in-law's house when he made almost that same joke.  "Shout" came on the radio, he switched it off after the first line, and sang "This is a song I could live without".

Joe Jackson - Breaking Us in Two

The other big hit from Night and Day, I don't like this quite as much as Steppin' Out, but it's still a damn fine tune.  Checking out the video again, it didn't look familiar to me at all. 

I vaguely remember the video, but I've always liked the song.  It caught me in a schlocky mood one time and resonated with me, and I've had a soft spot for it ever since.  The synth solo is obnoxious, yet kinda cool at the same time.  Weird how that works.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1840 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
I'm a big Tears For Fears fan, when Roland took over the last few album were leaning towards the progressive side and I loved it.  Their comeback album 5 years ago (?) was a great album.  Shout is a very good anthem song but it did get way overplayed.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1841 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
I actually didn't remember the Joe Jackson song until I looked it up on YT.  Definitely liked Steppin' Out a LOT more.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1842 on: November 20, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »
Shout is such a great song, liked it back then and still like it.

Tears For Fears were (are?) a band with great hits. I have a Best Of that is killer from start to finish. Maybe I should listen to the regular albums as well.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1843 on: November 20, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »
Shout:  My favorite song at age 7 1/2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1844 on: November 20, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Ratt - Dance

I dug this song like crazy when it was out; loved the video, too, and always got a kick out of the hand "heating" into the camera.  Gotta love 80s cheese. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1845 on: November 20, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
The single worst singer in the history of rock.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: November 20, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Round and Round is the only Ratt track I can remember.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1847 on: November 20, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
Cool, catchy riff and melodies, like a lot of their tunes.  Very fun at the time, but little long-term replay value.  Had to watch this just now to re-live it.  *reminisces*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1848 on: November 20, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
One of the Ratt songs I do not care for. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1849 on: November 20, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »
I have no memory of this song. At ALL. Time to see what the deal was...to the internet!

Okay, as soon as it started, I remembered it. I was kind of over Ratt by the time this came out-I bought a couple of their albums, but really, they started sounding the same to me pretty quickly. In fact, I had forgotten this album EXISTED-I thought they went straight from Invasion of Your Privacy to the one with Way Cool Jr. on it. Which says a lot about this particular Ratt album.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:27:38 PM by Jaq »

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1850 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
The single worst singer in the history of rock.

No kidding.  Which is sad that I'm agreeing with you, as I dug the holy shit out of Out Of The Cellar and Invasion Of Your Privacy back in the day. :lol :blush :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1851 on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »
Genesis - Illegal Alien

I don't care what anybody says...this is a good song!  And the video was great hilarity, too, featuring Phil Collins with a fake mustache. :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1852 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:49 PM »
Good Song. Phil Collins can be funny in his own special way.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1853 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:21 AM »
I liked Illegal Alien back in the day, but it really didn't age well for me - there's better songs on that album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: November 21, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
Fun tune, and yeah... hilarious video.

This was the last thread I looked at before bed last night, and could not get the song out of my head as I fell asleep.  Thankfully, no related dreams.