Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308299 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1435 on: October 10, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
Okay song, better video.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1436 on: October 10, 2012, 01:43:05 AM »
I can say uneuivocally I have never seen that video in my life until now.

And now that I have, I can't say I am any better off than I was 5 minutes ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1437 on: October 10, 2012, 05:29:24 AM »
Greg Kihn Band - Jeopardy

I think this might have been the first video I ever saw that I thought was really great.  Even at the age of 8, I was intrigued by the fact that the video told a story, rather than just being a bunch of randomness or fairly static.  I still get a kick out of the video, but the song itself is not I reach for a lot, even though I often think, "This is still a pretty good song," every time I see the video, which admittedly isn't often.

Good tune.  I have his greatest hits but to be honest.  4 songs are fantastic and the rest are forgettable. But those 4 tunes and that includes Jeopardy are great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1438 on: October 10, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
The video is amazing, lots of fun, and more clever than it might seem at first glance.  Lots of little detail to it.  The song is catchy, but unfortunately I almost can't listen to it now because it was overplayed so much, and because of Weird Al's parody "I Lost on Jeopardy".

Online T-ski

« Reply #1439 on: October 10, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
another interesting fact....in 1986 Joe Satriani filled in as lead guitarist for the Greg Kihn Band.  A year later, Satch would begin his solo career.

"Jeopary" is a great tune.  It will forever be linked to Weird Al.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1440 on: October 10, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »
I love Weird Al's parody as well, it's just a shame that it came out a year before Alex Trebek ressurected the game show "Jeopardy!" and thus Weird Al's song mentions Art Fleming as the host.  I grew up with original "Jeopardy!" but most people today have no idea who Art Fleming is and why he's mentioned rather than Alex Trebek.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1441 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
I can say uneuivocally I have never seen that video in my life until now.

And now that I have, I can't say I am any better off than I was 5 minutes ago.

Yeah, but had you seen it back in 1981, you might have thought it was neat.  Or maybe not. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: October 10, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
I was 5 in 1981, so not necessarily. Which is probably why some of the songs in this thread are totally unfamiliar to me  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1443 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
Whitesnake - Still of the Night

A legitimately awesome hard rock song.  This was the song that put Whitesnake on the map with the MTV crowd in 1987, and I was definitely someone who was sucked in immediately by the Led Zeppelin Junior approach of this song.  A quarter of a century later, it still rocks.  Honestly, I can't believe this song is 25 years old already. :eek :eek

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: October 10, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
Ass kicking tune.  Was dissapointed to find out that most of the guys in the video didn't play on the album though John Sykes is a killer guitarist.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1445 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
Ass kicking tune.  Was dissapointed to find out that most of the guys in the video didn't play on the album though John Sykes is a killer guitarist.

I'd been a big Whitesnake fan for years before this came out and although it's different from the bluesier feel of earlier WS I still loved it- even though I'm no Zeppelin fan. Video wise- it's very much "of it's time"  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1446 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
:iagree:

Their s/t album is A+ top to bottom.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1447 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »

I was gonna post something extremely similar to this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1448 on: October 10, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »
I love the chords in the break.  Actually the whole break is pretty cool.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: October 10, 2012, 02:37:45 PM »
Def Leppard - Love Bites

This song was massive - it had to have been the 2nd most popular song off of Hysteria - but I was never much of a fan.  I mean, by 80s ballad standards, it was okay, and I definitely get why it was so popular, but it just never clicked with me.  The chorus shows off their love for Queen in a big way, with those layered harmonies.

The video had a cool effect:  They recorded it at double speed, with the band performing at double speed, so that when played back at regular speed, it gave the video a real dreamlike feel. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1450 on: October 10, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Whitesnake's self titled was the quintessential 80s hard rock/metal album, at least in terms of commercial appeal. A perfect mix of exquisitely written and performed hard rock and spectacular videos that might as well have been piped straight into the libidos of the average 18-25 year old male. Of course, the slinky music videos wouldn't have been quite so effective without some great music, and Still of the Night, despite the over the top Zeppelin aping, was a GREAT fucking song. I was always amused by the story that went around back then of just how the line up that toured for the album came into being. Coverdale had fired the band that was credited on the album, though a lot of people actually played on it. Coverdale had already enlisted Adrian Vandenberg to replace John Sykes, but legend has it that the rest of the band was basically put together to play in the video for Still of the Night and stayed together for the tour. I don't know if that's true, but I love the story so much I hope it's true.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: October 10, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
This song shows that Whitesnake is capable of kicking serious ass!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1452 on: October 10, 2012, 11:14:44 PM »

For me that's what makes the music video so amusing. :lol

Great song from a great album, and definitely one of their heavier tracks. Probably not my favourite from the album, although it's so consistent that it's really hard to say.
I can't recall, but I believe this was one of the 600 Whitesnake music videos with Tawny Kitaen in it? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1453 on: October 11, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »
Whitesnake - Still of the Night

A great song. I still love it today!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1454 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
Madness - Our House

An enjoyable quirky song; very easy to sing along to.  The video isn't much to talk about, but it was good fun at the time.  I think most would call this a classic 80s tune.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1455 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
the young Big Hath always got this song confused with Burning Down the House (released a year later)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
A fun little song. They've got better ones though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1457 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
The video is brilliant.  Nice editing work, silly to the appropriate degree, and actually is related to the song.  The song of course is great.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1458 on: October 11, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
I don't like it, but it's completely not my style of music either (too british :lol). Nothing wrong with it aside from that though. It's catchy.

Never seen the music video until just then, but it's fun, so that's a plus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1459 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
Anyone who watched MTV from day one was very familiar with Madness long before this video came out. Madness was one of the bands that embraced the video format early in England, and in the early days of MTV, the more videos you had, the better! Madness videos generally had the sort of cheeky, oh so British humor as Our House did; I distinctly recall the video for the song House of Fun being largely about teenagers buying condoms at the local drug store, wink wink nudge nudge. One of the odder memories I have about Our House though actually comes from my dad, who had, and still has, generally zero interest in anything rock and roll related. Yet he loved Our House for reasons that continue to escape my family to this day. For that, if nothing else, the song's a classic in my book.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1460 on: October 11, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »
Madness - Our House

An enjoyable quirky song; very easy to sing along to.  The video isn't much to talk about, but it was good fun at the time.  I think most would call this a classic 80s tune.

I don't care what anyone else says, I still love this song/video.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: October 11, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
Madness - Our House

In the middle of the Street!  Never owned it but I did like the song.  Fun and catchy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1462 on: October 12, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
George Harrison - Got My Mind Set on You

I remember how much my parents loved this song when it came out; I liked it a lot, too.  The video was a stitch, featuring the middle section where Harrison dances around and does a backflip, but even at the age of 14, it was oh so obvious that it was a stunt double doing all of that, not Harrison himself.  For one, the stunt double had much thicker hair. :lol  But anyway, good toe-tapping tune.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: October 12, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
Fun video, one of his catchiest songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1464 on: October 12, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
While Our House was the song that, my dad, inexplicably, liked, Got My Mind Set On You was the very first song my nephew, who is autistic, ever liked, at the rather young age of four or so. He grew up to be quite the headbanger, and actually went with me in 2010 to see Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, but this song was the first time ever the kid showed any interest in music, and with some doctors saying he'd never really have the capability to do that, it's pretty much etched into my memory for that reason alone. It's also a right catchy song with a great video too.

Yeah, I'm probably never going to run out of stories about the songs in this thread, in case you haven't noticed.  :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1465 on: October 12, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
George Harrison wrote a lot of great songs, but a lot of them were really, really repetitive.  This is one of them.  Yes, it's catchy, but in general, songs that literally repeat themselves over and over annoy me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
That song's just six words long. Painful.

And that 'Our House' song is pretty bad too. I don't recall the video, will need to check it out.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1467 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
George Harrison wrote a lot of great songs, but a lot of them were really, really repetitive.  This is one of them.  Yes, it's catchy, but in general, songs that literally repeat themselves over and over annoy me.

While what you say is true...Got My Mind Set On You is a cover.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1468 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
I dug it.  Nice little melody.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1469 on: October 12, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »

While what you say is true...Got My Mind Set On You is a cover.  :lol

I'm not sure if that makes it better... or worse.