Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308398 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1400 on: October 05, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »
Bleeeech is right.  I'm okay with singing about your love and how awesome he or she is, but "Let's hear it for the boy" is just such a lame thing to say.

I'm not sure why, but females into their 20's, 30's, or beyond can still be "girls".  But at some point, it just seems stupid to refer to a guy as a "boy".  When you 30something years old, is he your "boyfriend"?  Do you actually say "He's great.  Let's hear it for the boy"?  Because if you did, I'd probably throw something at you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1401 on: October 05, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1402 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »
Okay then, since we all agree on that one...

Mike & the Mechanics - All I Need Is a Miracle

Very cool song; I particularly love the way the intro builds up.  I liked the video, even though it seemed to not have much to do with the actual meaning of the song, outside of the title. Hehe.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1403 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »
Same here.  Cool song, cool video.  I like Mike.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1404 on: October 05, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
I always thought the song kinda sounded wimpy.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1405 on: October 05, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
Mike & the Mechanics - All I Need Is a Miracle

I always liked that one. :)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1406 on: October 05, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
Always liked this album, which admittedly I bought for my love of all things Genesis but found a few things to like about it on its own. If I had a complaint about it, it did seem very, I don't know, laid back sonically-it didn't need to be heavy, but it had one of those lighter than air 80s productions that felt like at times the album could just float away and you not miss it.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1407 on: October 05, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
 :lol

It is nice to hear stuff like that sometimes though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1408 on: October 07, 2012, 08:36:35 AM »
Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly

This was the first songs I ever heard by Pink Floyd, and I loved it immediately.  The video was played to death by MTV, which was great, as it helped the Roger Waters-less Floyd reach new audiences.  What better way to scream, "We're still here!" than to have a great new song, and a cool video with it to boot. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
Holy crap, new avatar!

Agree with everything you said, though I hardly ever listen to it these days, even when watching/listening to Pulse/DSoT.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1410 on: October 07, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »

This was the first songs I ever heard by Pink Floyd, and I loved it immediately.  The video was played to death by MTV, which was great, as it helped the Roger Waters-less Floyd reach new audiences.  What better way to scream, "We're still here!" than to have a great new song, and a cool video with it to boot.

SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNY!!

Also that song was fantastic and like you said the video was really cool.  I winder if the video had impact on increasing Floyd's popularity since they were playing stadiums for The Wall.  I'm guessing it did since they made a profit unlike The Wall.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1411 on: October 07, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
I got Momentary Lapse of Reason for my birthday the year it came out, after I listened to a local radio station play it and was flat out stunned at how good it was. I was a fan of David Gilmour's solo album About Face, but this was a quantum leap up in quality for him as a band leader. Learning to Fly's a genuine classic and one of my favorite songs ever.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1412 on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »

GREAT song and album, but AMLoR was the best of the Waters-less PF for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1413 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »
Great song.  But I have no recollection whatsoever of ever having seen the video.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1414 on: October 08, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »
Stevie Nicks - Stand Back

This is a bit of an odd song for me in that I like it and it definitely takes me back to my early days of MTV watching, but is not one I ever have the urge to listen to, even when in an 80s mood.  But I think it's a good song, and that synth lead that carries the song is extremely effective.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1415 on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
If memory serves, Prince played keyboards on this song, and MTV made a bigger deal of that than the actual song itself.  :lol It was always jarring when the rock acts of the 70s not really known for synthesizers started using them in their music-Tom Petty's You Got Lucky being one of the best examples of the "what the hell is this?" moments in terms of the sound of an act changing. Ahh, 80s synths, how dated you sound now. Even worse than 70s Moogs, for some reason.

Oh, the song itself? Never much liked it, really.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1416 on: October 08, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
Liked the song and the album muchly.  Stevie was probably my favorite non-metal artist at the time. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1417 on: October 08, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
We were just listening to some 70's Fleetwood Mac last night, and Stevie had such a beautiful, sweet voice... which she totally blew out on the Bella Donna tour and never got back.  I thought "Edge of Seventeen" was okay the first couple of listens, it was kinda cool hearing her do something with some grit, but it's too repetitive and ultimately just annoying.  Then "Stand Back" came out and it's basically the same song but with synths instead of guitars.  Driving, catchy, but repetitive and pretty pointless, and her voice sounds even worse.  It's been 30 years now, so I guess I should accept the fact that this is what she sounds like now, but damn, after growing up with her original voice, it's just tragic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: October 08, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
Stevie had the same impact as Phil Collins.  Love their band work but I am not enamored with their solo work.  Not a bad song but just never caught my attention.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1419 on: October 08, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »
Okay song, but I like the duets she did with Don Henley (Leather and Lace I think?) and Tom Petty (Stop Draggin' My Heart Around) a fair bit better than the totality of her solo stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1420 on: October 08, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
Def Leppard - Love Bites

This song was massive - it had to have been the 2nd most popular song off of Hysteria - but I was never much of a fan.  I mean, by 80s ballad standards, it was okay, and I definitely get why it was so popular, but it just never clicked with me.  The chorus shows off their love for Queen in a big way, with those layered harmonies. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: October 09, 2012, 01:40:48 AM »
Cool ballad

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1422 on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »
Not much of a fan of this one. The other singles/hits off the album are much better imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1423 on: October 09, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
Not much of a fan of this one. The other singles/hits off the album are much better imo.

This exactly.  Love Bites did NOT age well for me, even though I liked it at the time it was a single.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: October 09, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
Funny, it was the opposite for me.  I was tired of the DL Massive crowd chants.  (HEY, HEY!!!) <---  Those kind of harmonies from the likes of Rock Of Ages and Pour Some Sugar on Me so this song was very refressing for me.  Still holds up well.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1425 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »
Probably my most hated of all power ballads.  This one is an absolute stinker in my books.  Worst song on an otherwise flawless album (by 80s glam standards).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1426 on: October 09, 2012, 06:38:03 AM »
What a horribly disappointing album, especially after such a long wait.
Remember collecting the 45's to make the puzzle out of the covers? The b sides were so much better (heavier) than anything on the album!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1427 on: October 09, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »
I was a HUGE Def Lep fan at the time, but this song took awhile to click.  I liked Hysteria when it first came out, but didn't immediately love it.  I just wanted it to rock more than it did.  So having a couple of ballads didn't thrill me.  But this song, like the album as a whole, really grew on me over time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1428 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »
  But this song, like the album as a whole, really grew on me over time.
Yeah,like a rash!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1429 on: October 09, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
:TAC:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »

Agreed. I listened to this album to death (indicated earlier it was my 1st or 2nd ever CD). I liked it on the album and wouldn't normally skip, but when it was released as a single and hit MTV, I grew weary of it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1431 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:33 AM »
I remember hearing "Love Bites" was supposed to be a country song and Wiki tells me I'm right....

"One song, "Love Bites," was already mostly written in the vein of a country ballad by Mutt Lange when he brought it to the band's attention."
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1432 on: October 09, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »
Never had much problem with Love Bites myself. A pretty harmless example of an 80s power ballad, and not really shocking that it did so well. Catchy as hell bridge and chorus, well put together production wise-yeah, it wasn't Bringing On The Heartbreak, but they weren't that band anymore. For better or worse  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1433 on: October 09, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
I remember hearing "Love Bites" was supposed to be a country song and Wiki tells me I'm right....

"One song, "Love Bites," was already mostly written in the vein of a country ballad by Mutt Lange when he brought it to the band's attention."

Oh gawd, really?  Bleeeeeeeh...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1434 on: October 09, 2012, 11:59:59 PM »
Greg Kihn Band - Jeopardy

I think this might have been the first video I ever saw that I thought was really great.  Even at the age of 8, I was intrigued by the fact that the video told a story, rather than just being a bunch of randomness or fairly static.  I still get a kick out of the video, but the song itself is not I reach for a lot, even though I often think, "This is still a pretty good song," every time I see the video, which admittedly isn't often.