Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308451 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1260 on: September 05, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »
This is one of them, but my very favourite is La Isla Bonita.

THAT is a sexy song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1261 on: September 05, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
   But I don't like being preached to, and the title "Papa Don't Preach" actually made me laugh because it's a very preachy song.   

I actually meant to mention this irony in my post, and forget to do so.  But you got me covered! :biggrin: :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1262 on: September 05, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »
:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1263 on: September 05, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
The Alan Parsons Project - Don't Answer Me

This is one of those forgotten 80s songs and videos, but both are actually pretty awesome, IMO.  The song is a melodic wonderland, and the animated video tells a fantastic, albeit fairly sappy, story.  It was one of those videos that you couldn't help but get sucked into every time it was on, and MTV did play it a ton back in the day.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALC7kt6iUHY

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1264 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
The Alan Parsons Project - Don't Answer Me

This is one of those forgotten 80s songs and videos, but both are actually pretty awesome, IMO.  The song is a melodic wonderland, and the animated video tells a fantastic, albeit fairly sappy, story.  It was one of those videos that you couldn't help but get sucked into every time it was on, and MTV did play it a ton back in the day.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALC7kt6iUHY

splendid choice. APP was one of my favorites as I began forging my musical tastes in the 80's.  The video was top notch. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1265 on: September 05, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
Great song. I love the story of about how Eric Woolfson wanted Don't Answer Me to have the big Phil Spector wall of sound thing, but Alan Parsons hated that sound. Finally after a lot of nagging, Parsons went "oh, you mean like this?" and hit a couple of buttons and suddenly the song was drenched in glorious reverb. I always got the sense Parsons was saying there "sure I can do it, but it's too fucking EASY."  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1266 on: September 07, 2012, 08:19:28 AM »
Roger Hodgson - Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy)

You wouldn't have thought an 8 1/2 minute song by a 70s artist, the former lead singer of Supertramp, would have had a song and video played on MTV a lot in 1984, but it happened.  IIRC, the song was slightly edited down, but still pretty long by "single" standards.  In fact, checking it out on youtube right now as I type this, it looks like it was a little over 6 minutes.  The video itself looks a little familiar, but aside from the guy running naked :lol, I don't remember much of the video.  But the song is one I remember very well, because it was a major winner.  This has long been a favorite of mine from 1984, and still is.  Great tune.  :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1267 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
Man I've loved the last 2 songs.  Great video for Don't Answer Me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1268 on: September 07, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
Don't really remember the Hodgson video all that well, but it was a great song off a great album. My brother in law owned this album and I'll admit I flat out stole it from him, I borrowed it and played it so much. But then he was a douchebag, so fuck him  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1269 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »
I remember being at work one time and "Had a Dream" came on the radio.  One of my co-workers said "Tell me, does this sound like Supertramp to you?  Because this guy I was talking to said it's Roger Somebodyorother.  I told him he's fucking crazy, it's gotta be Supertramp, listen to the voice.  Nobody else sounds like that."

:facepalm:

I gotta admit, it sounds like Supertramp.  I'm pretty sure that that's because Roger Hodgson sang a lot of their hits before leaving the band, but he's not exactly a household name, so it shouldn't surprise me that people didn't know that he'd even left the band.  That would be like someone hearing a Jon Anderson song and saying "It's Yes, you can tell by the voice" and refusing to believe that it's not Yes, but a song by some guy named Jon.

(cool story bro)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1270 on: September 07, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
I remember being at work one time and "Had a Dream" came on the radio.  One of my co-workers said "Tell me, does this sound like Supertramp to you?  Because this guy I was talking to said it's Roger Somebodyorother.  I told him he's fucking crazy, it's gotta be Supertramp, listen to the voice.  Nobody else sounds like that."

Planet Moron strikes again. :lol

As to the song?  Good for its time, but it didn't age too well for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1271 on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
Quarterflash - Harden My Heart

This video was on Totally 80s the other day, and I have to admit, I didn't remember it at all.  Pretty good song, though, featuring a very nice sax lead. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1272 on: September 10, 2012, 01:32:24 PM »
Quarterflash had a much better song out there called "Find Another Fool".  We had a female singer for a while, and I played the saxophone, so naturally we exploited that.  "Find Another Fool" was uptempo and rocked out at the end.  The guitar and I traded fours, and even busted into harmony.  It was a crowd-pleaser.

"Harden My Heart" by contrast had that slow shuffle beat, and try though we might, we could not get it to groove.  It just ended up sounding really boring.  We finally decided that it was because the song itself was so boring.  And of course we were right. :p  We never did play the song live.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1273 on: September 10, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Quarterflash actually rocked a bit harder live than they did in the studio-certainly hard enough to survive the fact that their first headlining tour had Sammy Hagar of all people as the opening act! There was a live video for the song Orbert is talking about where they did a similar guitar/saxophone trade off (on album it was saxophone and violin.) Harden My Heart was pretty much the ballad-esque, obvious single for the album, and like a lot of rock bands of the late 70s and early 80s, it pretty much locked the band into a more middle of the road style. The first album had the lead guitarist actually sing on occasion, but by the time the second album came out, the band was all about the other singer/saxophonist Rindy Ross, and dreadfully boring to boot.

The fact that I remember the name of Quarterflash's singer but can't tell you with any certainty where my wallet is right now says a lot about me.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1274 on: September 10, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
I'm sure they had better songs (never delved too deep tbh) but Harden My Heart bores me to tears and didn't age well, even back then! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1275 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
The Outfield - Your Love

I was never much of a fan of any of this band's hits.  I believe this was their first one, and I always found the way the song starts off fairly annoying, so I think my inability to ever really get past that always skewed my thoughts of any of their subsequent songs. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1276 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »
Never liked this song.  I couldn't believe that anyone thought singing the line "I just want to use your love tonight" was a good idea, something that a girl would want to hear.  I mean, really?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1277 on: September 12, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Oh dammit, I had forgotten how that song started until you made this post, and now it's STUCK IN MY HEAD. Curse you Kev!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1278 on: September 12, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
Yeah, it's an annoying song anyway.  That guy's voice begs from a good smack in the face.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1279 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
Annoying song is annoying.  Always has been.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1280 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
Okay, since we all agree :D, on to something better..and bigger:

Michael Jackson - Thriller

You really have to have been around to understand just how huge this video was back when it came out.  I mean, a nearly 14-minute video get regular play on MTV??  That was unheard of, yet there it was.  It was one of those videos that every time it was on, you just had to watch the whole thing; you couldn't help but.  The song itself is quite good, too, albeit not as great as the two biggest hits from Thriller, but still highly enjoyable.  And the video made it that much more enjoyable. 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1281 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:17 PM »
Thriller didn't just get played on MTV, it got played on MTV a lot. Like every two hours a lot. It's not necessarily the best video ever made, but it's kind of the quintessential music video, the apex of the form, and the height of Michael Jackson's fame on MTV. By that point Michael Jackson had flown past superstardom into another level entirely.

In typical Jaq form, a slightly related story: a few years later in a magazine Playboy put out-like Girls of Lingerie or some shit like that-there were some RIGHT NICE pictures of the girl from this video. Yowza!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1282 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »
I remember seeing the pictorial Playboy did of her back in the day - right nice indeed.

Anyhoo, I remember posting earlier in this thread that Thriller was just so monstrous in its time.  The title track is no different, and has a Vincent Price cameo to boot!  The video shot the popularity of this song into the stratosphere, but that was the case with pretty much everything on the album.

For its time?  GREAT video.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1283 on: September 12, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »
Love the song, but I hate the edit of the song in the music video. It's all verses lumped together, then an extended zombie break, then the chorus stuck at the end with weaker backup harmonies. Bleh.
The music video itself is an iconic classic though. How many other music videos have dance moves that memorable and instantly recognizable?
:billiejean: (closest the forum has, sorry)

Great song, and the start of a killer 3 song run on the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1284 on: September 12, 2012, 11:28:24 PM »
I'd have to agree on the way they edited the song for the video.  But that's really my only complaint about it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: September 13, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »
The Outfield - Your Love

I was never much of a fan of any of this band's hits.  I believe this was their first one, and I always found the way the song starts off fairly annoying, so I think my inability to ever really get past that always skewed my thoughts of any of their subsequent songs.

I guess I better not show you folks my I-Pod.  I've always loved the Outfield and have all their CD's.  even the ones in the 2000's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1286 on: September 13, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
FYI, Ola Ray was the June 1980 Playmate of the Month.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1287 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:19 AM »
The Outfield - Your Love

I guess I better not show you folks my I-Pod.  I've always loved the Outfield and have all their CD's.  even the ones in the 2000's.

Oh god, they're still around?  :lol

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1288 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
The Outfield - Your Love

I also like this song.  Lyrics aren't wonderful, but overall it's got a great feel to it. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1289 on: September 13, 2012, 08:45:14 AM »
Thriller

So I was 5 years old when this was released - I remember my older brother (16 at the time) playing the vinyl for me.  The creepy sound effects and Vincent Price parts scared the crap out of me!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:20 AM »
The Outfield - Your Love

Had no idea what this song was till I found it online. Of course once I did, I knew it instantly. And turned it off. Blech.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1291 on: September 13, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
I thought the "Thriller" video was fine, and something like prog, only for video.  Extending the song into a real cinematic event.  It was even presented as a short film by John Landis, not just a music video.

I love Vincent Price's voiceover on the album.  I grew up with his scary movies and he was the man to do the voiceover on the album.  Then I heard that he was bummed about never getting any royalties from the "Thriller" film/video.  I don't know how it works if you do voiceover on a song and the song ends up in a video, but there are definite rules about how your performance is used in film, and they were presenting it as a film, therefore Vincent was due some royalties.  He never got paid.  For that matter, John Landis never got paid for making the film/video, either.  Ola Ray got some money early on, then those payments stopped.  MJ either had some good lawyers, or total slimebag lawyers, or probably both.

Fun Interview with Landis about Vincent Price

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: September 13, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
The Outfield - Your Love

Oh god, they're still around?  :lol

Why yes they are!  Thing is that, the original 3 got back together and the guitarist's cancer came back so he's fighting for his life.  This is his second bout.  I hope he makes it.

BTW did any of you know that the Outfield was a Police cover band before getting a record contract.  You can here it in the vocals no doubt.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1293 on: September 13, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
I thought the "Thriller" video was fine, and something like prog, only for video.  Extending the song into a real cinematic event.  It was even presented as a short film by John Landis, not just a music video.

I love Vincent Price's voiceover on the album.  I grew up with his scary movies and he was the man to do the voiceover on the album.  Then I heard that he was bummed about never getting any royalties from the "Thriller" film/video.  I don't know how it works if you do voiceover on a song and the song ends up in a video, but there are definite rules about how your performance is used in film, and they were presenting it as a film, therefore Vincent was due some royalties.  He never got paid.  For that matter, John Landis never got paid for making the film/video, either.  Ola Ray got some money early on, then those payments stopped.  MJ either had some good lawyers, or total slimebag lawyers, or probably both.

Fun Interview with Landis about Vincent Price

Well, according to the interview you linked... MJ was always... a smooth criminal... :lhk:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1294 on: September 13, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
Cyndi Lauper - She Bop

This was probably my favorite of her three hits from She's So Unusual, although is still wasn't a huge favorite of mine or anything. But I like it. I remember the video being fairly entertaining, but not much else about it; I haven't seen it in probably almost 30 years.  As for the lyrical content of this tune, I had no idea what it supposedly was about till like 10 years ago, and by then, it was so far off of my radar that the revelation was nothing more than a passing thought, but I guess for those who knew it at the time, it had to be quite a shock, considering the time period.