Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308424 times)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1225 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13:45 AM »
Well thanks to this thread I'm listening to Vital Signs, When Seconds Count and Premonition albums by Survivor today while doing production paperwork.

.... and i just picked up Mr. Mister's welcome to the Real World.  Gonna spin it on my 45 min commute...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1226 on: August 31, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
A fantastic album dbrooks22.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1227 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
kings, I am not sure if I should be proud or apologize to you. ;) :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1228 on: August 31, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »
Billy Idol - White Wedding

This is another one of those handful of videos that I remember seeing on MTV non-stop when we first got cable TV.  Very good little tune, and the video was pretty neat, too, with the gothic wedding and all.  This is a very nostalgic song for me. :coolio

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1229 on: August 31, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »
I'm not a huge Billy Idol fan, but this was one of his cooler, catchier songs.  Also, Billy's work is where I first heard Steve Stevens.  I always thought Billy was kinda hit or miss, but his guitarist could scream.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: August 31, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
kings, I am not sure if I should be proud or apologize to you. ;) :lol

Hey if I like it it's ok! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1231 on: August 31, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
I'm not a huge Billy Idol fan, but this was one of his cooler, catchier songs.  Also, Billy's work is where I first heard Steve Stevens.  I always thought Billy was kinda hit or miss, but his guitarist could scream.

Sums up my feelings about Billy Idol right there. The only reason I owned Rebel Yell was because of Steve Stevens' guitar work, I used to think he was what the 21st century was going to sound like.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1232 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Well, Steve's still around, doing some pretty cool stuff, so you're not that far off with your prediction.

On the other hand:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1233 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
 :rollin  :rollin  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1234 on: August 31, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »
I know, that's not really fair.  I'm sure a lot of singers enjoy doing a Christmas album, a chance to put their personal stamp on classic tunes they grew up with.  And actually, when I was growing up, there were a number of Christmas albums that my parents played on their old stereo that were by popular artists (of the time).  Now, however, I can't help but think of a holiday album as something you do when your career is in something of a downturn.

But man, we were Christmas shopping a couple years ago and I saw that, and just busted out laughing.  The tree, the wreath, and the whiplash smile.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1235 on: August 31, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Well, Steve's still around, doing some pretty cool stuff, so you're not that far off with your prediction.

On the other hand:

holy crap
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1236 on: August 31, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
Apparently it was pretty popular, since he did a follow-up:

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1237 on: September 01, 2012, 02:34:21 AM »

Completely agreed - Steve is criminally underrated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1238 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
Level 42 - Something About You

I can't name any other song this band did, but this song was a winner, and is symbolic of the type of music that was popular in 1985.  I don't really remember the video, but every time this song comes on, it just screams "mid 80s!" to me. :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: September 02, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »
My brother (who is a bass player) got me into this band.  Excellent song and Kev, they have a few more cool songs like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGxHCCUWGtY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1240 on: September 02, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »
Not a bad little tune there; I had never heard it before.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1241 on: September 02, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
Level 42 - Something About You

I can't name any other song this band did, but this song was a winner, and is symbolic of the type of music that was popular in 1985.  I don't really remember the video, but every time this song comes on, it just screams "mid 80s!" to me. :coolio

:heart
(That is all. :) )

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1242 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »
Always loved the combination of Billy Idol/Steve Stevens, they were really rocking. Saw them live some years ago and they still brought it on (plus they had Derek Sherinian on Keyboards). Then I heard about this christmas thing and I thought wtf?

Something about you is a great song. Level 42 were really popular in europe in the mid and late 80s. I think their biggest hit was Lessons in Love. During their career they turned from a funky/jazzy band to a major pop act. While I still like some of the later songs I am to this day an avid admirer of their earlier work up to World Machine (from where Something about you is taken).
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1243 on: September 03, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Genesis - Invisible Touch

Ah yes, the song that makes old school Genesis fans heave on a regular basis. :lol  But when this came out, I loved it, and the video was great, too, featuring Phil Collins hamming it up like crazy; very fun and comical video.  I can definitely see why fans who grew up on 70s Genesis absolutely hated it, but I still enjoy it every once in a while, for nostalgic reasons, of course.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1244 on: September 03, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
Well, the song is catchy.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: September 03, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1246 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1247 on: September 03, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
Genesis is my favorite of the classic prog bands and one of my favorite bands ever, so logically I should hate this song, right?

Well...

I don't!

The thing about Genesis was, whether or not they were crafting 23 minute epics about the end of the world or four minute pop ditties about cute girls, they were songwriters. Whatever they set their minds to do, they did it and they did it well. Yes, Invisible Touch is a poppy song that isn't a thing like the band was in 1971. It's also a brilliant, fantastic pop song, written by three brilliant songwriters who had the technical ability to do just about whatever they set their mind to. I don't have the hang up some prog fans have over well written pop songs, especially when the band in question is Genesis.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1248 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »
This was my favorite song when i was 8 yrs old, and my first cassette tape. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1249 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
I quite like this song, as mentioned it is catchy and a good written pop song.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #1250 on: September 04, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
Talking of Level 42,  a great little secret amongst British guitarists is a guy called Alan Murphy. sadly he died of Aids but was a mix between Larry Carlton and Allan Holdsworth (who incidentally replaced him after his death on Level 42s album Guaranteed).
Here's the closest thing Level 42 have done to prog, live.
Incidentally for all you Steven Wilson fans, the drummer, Gary Husband, was supposed to play piano on his most recent tour but dropped out due to injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzugTJ3l8Ds&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:54:31 AM by Bill Carson »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »
Gah! More Genesis  :\
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1252 on: September 04, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
The Pretenders - Back on the Chain Gang

This is another video I remember being played quite frequently during my earlier MTV viewing days.  It's a good little song, but was one that was more along the lines of one I heard a lot rather than one I wanted to hear a lot.  I don't listen to it that often when going through my 80s stuff, but I do think it is a good song still.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1253 on: September 04, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
If memory serves, wasn't this their first single after two members of the band died in quick succession? While the Pretenders were fairly successful, I always wondered what would have been if the band hadn't suffered so much loss at once. Early Pretenders was some great, hard rocking stuff with a good pop feel, but after the guitarist and bassist died, they lost a bit.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1254 on: September 04, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
If memory serves, wasn't this their first single after two members of the band died in quick succession? While the Pretenders were fairly successful, I always wondered what would have been if the band hadn't suffered so much loss at once. Early Pretenders was some great, hard rocking stuff with a good pop feel, but after the guitarist and bassist died, they lost a bit.

Well said, and I completely agree.

Decent song, but IMO the earlier the songs are the better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1255 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
Madonna - Papa Don't Preach

This has always been one of my favorite Madonna songs.  It is a great combination of a nice melody, a great dance beat and fairly interesting lyrics, especially given the times.  One of her better 80s videos, too, IMO.  Madonna always had a knack for making interesting and visually striking videos, and Papa Don't Preach was certainly no exception.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1256 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:49 AM »
Nah, Lucky Star and Angel were my favorites of Madge's.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1257 on: September 05, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »
At the time, this was my favorite Madonna song. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1258 on: September 05, 2012, 07:33:24 AM »
Songs with a blatant political or social message always start off on the wrong foot with me.  I understand that artists create for many different reasons, and the core of that is to express what they feel, and if they feel strongly about some politcal or social issue, then by all means, they should express that in their work.  But I don't like being preached to, and the title "Papa Don't Preach" actually made me laugh because it's a very preachy song.  It has all the clichés and excuses that young lovers have when the girl somehow ends up pregnant and the song literally is crafted to make a point.

It's the age-old dichotomy.  I don't like being manipulated, I don't like feeling like someone's trying to convince me of something; I just want to listen to some music.  But at the same time, it's hard not to credit someone who can craft a catchy song with a social message and do it well.  And it is a catchy song, and she may even have given a number of young girls some hope or a few lines to use in conversations with their fathers or mothers, so good for her.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: September 05, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »
I've never been that big on Madonna, but she had a couple of great songs in the 80s. This is one of them, but my very favourite is La Isla Bonita.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.