Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313003 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #770 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:05 PM »
Uh... yeah.  Never liked it, never really liked GNR.  I will say that the redeeming quality of the original GNR (not what Axl is parading as GNR these days) was the band itself - Axl, IMO, has always been the weakest link.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Major kickass rocker

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #772 on: July 05, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
Time to throw one more out there today before I head out for the evening....

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

A song I am sure most of us have heard 1,000 times by now, this is one of the very few songs by them, IMO, that is actually worthy of the attention it has gotten.  It is a kickass rocker, and it has aged very well.  This was the first song most of us heard by the band, and it could easily be argued that everything else that came after it failed to top this.

As much as I loved this tune I never bought the record.  Shocker.  I know!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #773 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:32 PM »
An iconic song that kicks off the greatest rock album of all time. :tup From that very first guitar note, you know exactly what song it is.
The video is kind of average though, and doesn't really give an accurate impression of the band compared to later videos.

As much as I loved this tune I never bought the record.  Shocker.  I know!

:o Get on it! NOW!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #774 on: July 06, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
An excellent song.  Pretty sure I saw a stripper dance to it once.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: July 06, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »
An excellent song.  Pretty sure I saw a stripper dance to it once.

Interesting.  I think Paradise City is the more common stripper anthem.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #776 on: July 06, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
Kiss -- Take It Off is better. :zydar:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #777 on: July 06, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
The Traveling Wilburys - Handle with Care

You wouldn't have thought that a song by a supergroup of mostly aging rockers would have done well, especially on MTV, smack dab in the middle of the hair metal era, but it did.  This song and video were both incredibly popular, which is not hard to understand since it is a very solid tune. 

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #778 on: July 06, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »

You wouldn't have thought that a song by a supergroup of mostly aging rockers would have done well, especially on MTV, smack dab in the middle of the hair metal era, but it did.  This song and video were both incredibly popular, which is not hard to understand since it is a very solid tune.

Love Harrison, love Petty, love Dyan, love Lynn...love this.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #779 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
I worked at a Musicland, which eventually became the Sam Goodys chain before, I think, FYE finally devoured them whole a few years back, as a seasonal employee the year that the first Traveling Wilburys album came out, and the manager at the store played it in a rotation of three albums to attempt to get certain demographics to come into the store. The other two were something by Anita Baker and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel. Hearing Handle With Care come out of the speakers caused me to breathe a sigh of relief, because while all three albums were worn out for me after a while, it was the one of the three that I actually liked. Classic tune.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #780 on: July 06, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
Interesting.  I think Paradise City is the more common stripper anthem.

Maybe that was it.  Sweet Child of Mine is pretty common as well.

Love Harrison, love Petty, love Dyan, love Lynn...love this.

And I love Roy Orbison.  Great song.

Musicland...Sam Goodys

Wow, I haven't heard those names in forever.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #781 on: July 06, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »

Great song, great album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: July 08, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
Squeeze - Tempted

Am I the only who has always disliked this song a lot?  It just annoys the crap out of me.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #783 on: July 08, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
Even if I liked the song-and I didn't-it being one of the ten or so songs MTV played every two or so hours the first few months MTV was on the air would've killed it for me.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #784 on: July 08, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
It was catchy, but as a song it wasn't more than "okay".  I always thought it was ironic and a bit sad that the girl in the video wasn't really "tempting" at all.  I thought she was pretty blah myself.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #785 on: July 08, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »
Not their best, but not bad either IMO.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #786 on: July 08, 2012, 09:40:35 PM »
ugh - worked in a department store in college and this was one of the songs that was on the rotation.  Hated it then, hate it now.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #787 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »
Eurythmics - Here Comes the Rain Again

One of my favorite songs on 1983, the lyrics match the music perfectly, and the video was very fitting as well.  This is just a great rainy day song.  Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) was the bigger hit, but this was by far the better song, IMO. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #788 on: July 09, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
This song, and the album, are awesome. Her voice is utterly amazing, and I had a huge crush on her at the time too. Good stuff here. :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: July 09, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
ugh - worked in a department store in college and this was one of the songs that was on the rotation.  Hated it then, hate it now.

I was trying to think of a good way to describe this song, and the fact that it would be in the rotation at a department store seems to sum up that song nicely.

Here Comes the Rain is an ok song. My fave of theirs is probably Would I Lie to You.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

« Reply #790 on: July 09, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
By the time the Eurythmics hit, I was solidly and foresquare in my METAL RARRRH phase, which ran from about 1983 to mid-85, when I went prog mad. So they were part of a long list of bands that younger me simply sneered at as "new wave crap" and never really gave much time to. Looking back, they made pretty immaculate pop songs, and Annie Lennox was a PERFECT frontwoman for an 80s band with that androgynous look she had going for her-it was just made for music video back then. It's no wonder they broke big.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #791 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
By the time the Eurythmics hit, I was solidly and foresquare in my METAL RARRRH phase, which ran from about 1983 to mid-85, when I went prog mad. So they were part of a long list of bands that younger me simply sneered at as "new wave crap" and never really gave much time to. Looking back, they made pretty immaculate pop songs, and Annie Lennox was a PERFECT frontwoman for an 80s band with that androgynous look she had going for her-it was just made for music video back then. It's no wonder they broke big.

I agree with this post - describes me to a T.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #792 on: July 10, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
The Police - Every Breath You Take

What a monster hit this was, spending eight weeks (!) at number 1 on the billboard pop charts.  Very few songs in the 80s spent more weeks at number 1 than this song did - Physical, I think Bette Davis Eyes, and I am pretty sure there was another one in the later 80s.  But anyway, great song from a great, great album.  Not my favorite song from Synchronicity, or even my favorite hit from it, but it is not hard to see why this song was so huge. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #793 on: July 10, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Okay, looking it up, the only other song that spent more weeks at number 1 in the 80s besides Physical (10 weeks) and Bette Davis Eyes (9 weeks, albeit non-consecutive) was Endless Love by Kenny Rogers and Diana Ross, which spent 9 weeks at number 1 in 1981.  Many of us probably know that song from when it was featured in Happy Gilmore. "Friends listen to Endless Love in the dark." :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #794 on: July 10, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
What's always been funny about this song to me is how many people have utterly missed the point of it. This is the soundtrack to a stalker's obsession, not a touching love song.  :lol The video is one of the top ones in my head when I think of 80s music videos as an art form, surpassed only, IMO, by the video for Don Henley's The Boys of Summer.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #795 on: July 10, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
What's always been funny about this song to me is how many people have utterly missed the point of it. This is the soundtrack to a stalker's obsession, not a touching love song.  :lol

Bingo! :lol

That said, the video is - like Jaq said - a perfect example of a music video as art.  I wouldn't have said Boys of Summer, though - I'd have said Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #796 on: July 10, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
I always thought Sledgehammer was kind of cheesy myself, but I can see where it works as a good music video. Guess I prefer the brooding black and white videos myself :D

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #797 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »
also the basis for Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You".  I was on a college trip to Atlanta in May of '97 and woke up one morning to "I'll Be Missing You" playing on the alarm/radio.  Couldn't figure out what in the world was going on because the song sounded familiar but so, so different.
Winger would be better!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #798 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:17 PM »
also the basis for Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You".  I was on a college trip to Atlanta in May of '97 and woke up one morning to "I'll Be Missing You" playing on the alarm/radio.  Couldn't figure out what in the world was going on because the song sounded familiar but so, so different.

Oh, don't remind me of that. If there's one thing that started in the 90s that utterly annoys me, it was when songs like this, which cannibalized the main melodies of existing songs, kept the choruses intact (and in this case PERFORMED by the actual singer of the song) and threw a bunch of rap at the verses. I used to maintain that Puff Diddy or whatever he calls himself these days had blackmail worthy pictures of both Sting and Jimmy Page to get them to take part in such horseshit.  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #799 on: July 10, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »
oh, I know.  Almost ruined "Every Breath You Take" for me
Winger would be better!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #800 on: July 10, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
I always thought Sledgehammer was kind of cheesy myself, but I can see where it works as a good music video. Guess I prefer the brooding black and white videos myself :D

The song IS a little cheesy, I admit, but the video is just amazing.

oh, I know.  Almost ruined "Every Breath You Take" for me

WORD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #801 on: July 11, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Don Henley - The Boys of Summer

Hands down, not only one of my favorite 80s songs, but one of my favorite songs of all-time.  Everything about this song is nothing short of perfect, and the video was magnificent as well.  We all have songs that we never turn off if we happen upon them on the radio or whatever, and this is one of the songs for me.  If I stumble across The Boys of Summer, the volume is going up and I am not going anywhere until it is over.  I honestly believe this is the best song anyone from the Eagles has ever done, with the Eagles, on their own or with another band.  Yes, I think it is is better than Hotel California.  I love this song that much. :tup :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #802 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
great, great song about aging and losing your youth.

Also the title of an even better book by Roger Kahn.  In part 1 he details growing up in a Brooklyn family, his life as a young sportswriter following the Brooklyn Dodgers for two years (both ending in bitter World Series losses to the hated Yankess) and the loss of his father.  Then in the second section he goes back later in life to find those same Dodgers, the heroes of his youth, and details how they have transitioned into "normal" life and the struggles they have faced.

I'm getting a bit misty thinking about the book right now.  If you haven't read it, you need to.
Winger would be better!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #803 on: July 11, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
The Police - Every Breath You Take

What a monster hit this was, spending eight weeks (!) at number 1 on the billboard pop charts.  Very few songs in the 80s spent more weeks at number 1 than this song did - Physical, I think Bette Davis Eyes, and I am pretty sure there was another one in the later 80s.  But anyway, great song from a great, great album.  Not my favorite song from Synchronicity, or even my favorite hit from it, but it is not hard to see why this song was so huge. 

Trivia question:  What video defeated this one on MTV's Friday Night Video Fights?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I forgot that this was already answered earlier in the thread.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #804 on: July 11, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Since I said a few posts back that I saw this video as being the best music video of the 80s and arguably ever, I think my opinion on the video's pretty clear. It doesn't hurt that the SONG itself is pretty amazing to boot. It isn't the best thing any of the Eagles have ever done, because I throw that honor straight at The Last Resort off Hotel California, but it is one of the best pop songs of the 80s, off one of the best albums of the 80s.