Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313143 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #560 on: June 04, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
I loved Berlin, actually this song wasn't a big one for me, but Metro and No More Words are killer songs, and Terri Nunn, um, yes please.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #561 on: June 04, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »
Not a bad song, but I honestly like "Sex (I'm A...)" better.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #562 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »
I like pretty much everything about the movie Top Gun, but I can't watch it because of that damned song.  Yes, the song pretty much ruins the movie for me.  "Metro" is awesome, though, and so is "Sex (I'm A...)".  Also, yeah, Terri was a real cutie in her time.  Today, not so much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #563 on: June 05, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »
I like pretty much everything about the movie Top Gun, but I can't watch it because of that damned song.  Yes, the song pretty much ruins the movie for me.  "Metro" is awesome, though, and so is "Sex (I'm A...)".  Also, yeah, Terri was a real cutie in her time.  Today, not so much.

Bob are you sure?  I saw a picture of her from a few years ago and she still looks good?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
Wow, a quick Google Images search shows that I'm quite wrong, which is actually good news.

But I know I remember seeing a relatively recent picture of her and being pretty shocked.  It might have been one of those "Then and Now" things, in which case I'm sure they used the worst recent picture of her that they could find.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #565 on: June 05, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
a-ha - Take On Me

An insanely catchy song, featuring a vocal hook AND a keyboard hook, and the video was one of the best ever made.  This is an 80s classic personified.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
a-ha - Take On Me

An insanely catchy song, featuring a vocal hook AND a keyboard hook, and the video was one of the best ever made.  This is an 80s classic personified the 80s personified.

Well that's what I think anyway.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #567 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:14 PM »
a-ha - Take On Me

An insanely catchy song, featuring a vocal hook AND a keyboard hook, and the video was one of the best ever made.  This is an 80s classic personified.

And BINGO was his name, oh! 

you're right on with the comments kev.  One of the most unique videos of the 80s, if not ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #568 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Also, I should mention how I like the ending to the song better in the video rather than regular version.  The regular version is a simple fadeout with the chorus being sang again, while the video version climaxes with that big drum thing, echoed in the video by the guy crashing to the floor, and then the fadeout is simply a soft-sounding keyboard that sounds just lovely.  Minor difference, but enough to make the video version better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #569 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
I never knew until a few years ago that they were still huge in Europe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: June 05, 2012, 01:05:41 PM »
Top Gun had a great soundtrack. My dad had the LP and I cranked that all the time. Includes a great song by Cheap Trick that is in the film for about 1.5 seconds.

Big fan of Take On Me back then, but I honestly wonder if I ever heard it on the radio, or in any other context outside of along with the video.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #571 on: June 05, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
Also, I should mention how I like the ending to the song better in the video rather than regular version.  The regular version is a simple fadeout with the chorus being sang again, while the video version climaxes with that big drum thing, echoed in the video by the guy crashing to the floor, and then the fadeout is simply a soft-sounding keyboard that sounds just lovely.  Minor difference, but enough to make the video version better.

I like the video version of the song more for that exact same reason.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #572 on: June 05, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »
Yeah, same here.  Whenever I hear it on the radio, it's just a little disappointing because most people my age knew the video version first.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
as good as a-ha's "take on me" is, their second single was even better, yet no one ever speaks of it.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ir9HC9vYg
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #574 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
a-ha "Take On Me" is one of the 80s classic pop songs. Cool Song, great video. Normally not my kind of music but I think they had some other good songs. Hunting High And Low is one of my favorites.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #575 on: June 06, 2012, 07:30:33 AM »
a-ha - Take On Me

Totally.  That was an awesome video.  I think the chick in it is the same chick from Ernest Goes to Jail.

Offline bundy

« Reply #576 on: June 07, 2012, 04:40:12 AM »
Great song from a superb album. Hunting High and Low is easily in my top 5 albums of the 80s. The Sun Always Shines on TV is the highlight, but  Living A Boys Adventue Tale and the title track are killer as well. This is one of those albums like Supertamp's Crime of the Century where every single track is top shelf and the production is sublime.  :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #577 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
Bruce Hornsby & The Range - The Way It Is

Cool song, and I always found it amazing how unique and easily identifiable Hornsby's piano sound was.  It was like, when you heard the piano start playing, you knew it was him.  Same applied to when Don Henley's The End of the Innocence tune came out.  The first time I heard that song, I thought, "That has to be Bruce Hornsby playing piano in that song."  And sure enough, it was. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #578 on: June 07, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
Great song, and Bruce Hornsby was a great keyboardist, good enough to travel with the Dead for many years in the early nineties.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #579 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
Bruce Hornsby & The Range - The Way It Is

Cool song, and I always found it amazing how unique and easily identifiable Hornsby's piano sound was.  It was like, when you heard the piano start playing, you knew it was him.  Same applied to when Don Henley's The End of the Innocence tune came out.  The first time I heard that song, I thought, "That has to be Bruce Hornsby playing piano in that song."  And sure enough, it was.

So true.  It's funny - I was only 7-8yrs old when these songs came out, but when i first heard the Way It Is, i thought it was Don Henley.  Little did i know that it was actually Bruce who wrote End of the Innocence for Don.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: June 07, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
One of the few great piano led songs I loved in the 80s.  Mandolin Rain was also pretty hot.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
Great song, and Bruce Hornsby was a great keyboardist, good enough to travel with the Dead for many years in the early nineties.

I'm sure Bruce still is a great keyboardist, considering he isn't dead.  ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: June 07, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
Touche

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #583 on: June 07, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »
:icy:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #584 on: June 07, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
The whole album The Way It Is is awesome.  Was introduced to Bruce by my uncle - good stuff. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #585 on: June 07, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
One of the few great piano led songs I loved in the 80s.  Mandolin Rain was also pretty hot.

Yeah, both of those songs.  Bruce came on the scene and was so different, so cool, with the piano and the laid-back acoustic sound.  Who would've thought he'd become so popular?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #586 on: June 07, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
Mandolin Rain is really good, too, but Every Little Kiss is my favorite of the three big hits from that record.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #587 on: June 07, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
Mandolin Rain is really good, too, but Every Little Kiss is my favorite of the three big hits from that record.

Yeah, I've always thought Every Little Kiss was the best of the three too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #588 on: June 07, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
Aerosmith - Rag Doll

Being someone who wasn't familiar with any of Aerosmith's older stuff when their videos for Permanent Vacation all came out, I thought this song and video were both totally awesome, to use an 80s phrase. :P  Years later, I still dig the song, but wouldn't call it an 80s favorite of mine.  The video is still entertaining as heck, though.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #589 on: June 07, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
Rag Doll is good, but St. John is my favorite song on Permanent Vacation.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #590 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
Aerosmith - Rag Doll

Being someone who wasn't familiar with any of Aerosmith's older stuff when their videos for Permanent Vacation all came out, I thought this song and video were both totally awesome, to use an 80s phrase. :P  Years later, I still dig the song, but wouldn't call it an 80s favorite of mine.  The video is still entertaining as heck, though.

there are no words that can tell you how much I dislike this song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #591 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
I always wondered what longtime Aerosmith fans thought of that late 80s stuff when it first came out.  I mean, it didn't smack of cheesy 80s, and still rocked pretty good (Angel notwithstanding).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
When I was introduced to Aerosmith in the 80s, I was surprised later to hear they were a big act in the 70s. That's how clueless I was.

Rag Doll was another song I loved on MTV, but not sure if I would have stopped turning the dial for if I heard it on the radio (damn, I am old enough to remember actually turning a radio dial...). Probably the type of material I loved back then, but if I heard now, I would think "Man, I used to listen to this stuff??"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #593 on: June 07, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
I always wondered what longtime Aerosmith fans thought of that late 80s stuff when it first came out.  I mean, it didn't smack of cheesy 80s, and still rocked pretty good (Angel notwithstanding).

I thought "Rag Doll" and Permanent Vacation in general did a good job of capturing what made Aerosmith great in the 70's.  They weren't a straight-up Rock 'n' Roll band; they came from R & B, and "Rag Doll" was R & B.

They went through some tough times in the early 80's, and as far as I can tell, none of the stuff they did without Joe Perry was worth a shit, but they came back strong.  My buddies and I, who used to listen to Get Your Wings and Toys in the Attic in junior high, were pretty good with Permanent Vacation.  Aerosmith were back, as far as we were concerned, and I think Pump is actually a little better.  Sure, the guys sound older, and I'm sure the years of living like they do has taken its toll, but it was overall an impressive comeback.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #594 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
When I was introduced to Aerosmith in the 80s, I was surprised later to hear they were a big act in the 70s. That's how clueless I was.

same here.  But by the time Pump came out, i had Toys in the Attic also.

Rag Doll is great fun - i read on wikipedia that it was originally titled "Rag Time," and the music definitely smacks of it.  Amazing that Steven Tyler's style hasn't changed since Permanent Waves.