Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313920 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
Kev.  Mess them all up and pick Frozen Ghost -- Should I See   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
Forget that, let's see some Alda Nova!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »

Saw him open for BOC.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #248 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

Saw him open for BOC.

Saw a stripper in Sacramento dance to Fantasy,getting handcuffed to a chain link fence halfway through the song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »

Edit:  Thanks Kev.  I just watched Electric Blue also.  It's been 20 years since I heard that song.

Yeah, that one's okay. 

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al

Good song from a very good album, and hands down one of the best videos ever.  For those of you who have never seen it, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #250 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »
Oh Jesus.

I remember Icehouse. But I don't remember THAT song. I remember their early 80s videos directed by Russell Mulcahy. Back when MTV would play just about ANYTHING to fill the time, and man, they played early Icehouse a lot. Thanks for the nostalgia bomb!

As for Paul Simon, yes, that's one of the best videos of the 80s. Kind of funny that a decade noted for excess in music videos had one of its best be something that simple. Catchy as hell song too.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
I love the Paul Simon video.  Chevy Chase is great in it, and overall it's just really well done.  Simple but very clever.  Lots of little stuff in there you might not notice the first time (such as Chevy setting things on the "table" only to have them fall through to the floor).

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2012, 06:49:02 AM »
Wow.  Remember when real music had a place in pop culture?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »

Edit:  Thanks Kev.  I just watched Electric Blue also.  It's been 20 years since I heard that song.

Yeah, that one's okay. 

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al

Good song from a very good album, and hands down one of the best videos ever.  For those of you who have never seen it, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI

:2metal:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
Man I couldn't stand that song.  Came out at a time when I was just getting in to heavier music, so that's probably why I just found it annoying.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
Is that song on the album where Paul Simon had those African singers? I remember he had them on TV constantly. They were incredible!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Genesis - Land of Confusion

This video was huge when it came out, in large part due to the comical nature of it, featuring the puppets of many famous people, ranging from the President Ronald Reagan to Hulk Hogan to Mick Jagger to Johnny Carson to the band themselves.  Great, innovative video, and a helluva fun pop rock tune.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
The last two songs for me were pretty much overshadowed by their videos. I would stop whatever I was doing whenever they came on MTV, but if I ever passed one of them on the radio dial, I would feel like something was missing, and probably keep scrolling.

Good examples of wondering how I would feel about a song if I heard it a few times before ever seeing the video.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
awesome song, love it!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
Genesis - Land of Confusion

This video was huge when it came out, in large part due to the comical nature of it, featuring the puppets of many famous people, ranging from the President Ronald Reagan to Hulk Hogan to Mick Jagger to Johnny Carson to the band themselves.  Great, innovative video, and a helluva fun pop rock tune.

Yes.

The last two songs for me were pretty much overshadowed by their videos. I would stop whatever I was doing whenever they came on MTV, but if I ever passed one of them on the radio dial, I would feel like something was missing, and probably keep scrolling.

Good examples of wondering how I would feel about a song if I heard it a few times before ever seeing the video.

And yes again.

To me, it's kinda like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  I thought it was cool at the time, but didn't have the maturity and perspective at the time to appreciate how poignant and well-constructed a lot of the humor really was.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #260 on: April 07, 2012, 07:50:55 AM »
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen

One of the biggest one-hit wonders of the 80s, this is a song that seems to get mocked a lot, as if it is a symbol of how retched the 80s allegedly were, but I think this song, cheesy as it is, is good fun.  And isn't that what music is supposed to be a lot of time...fun? :biggrin:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #261 on: April 07, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »
This is a great song. However, I'm not convince that the vocalist is actually saying words in this song's verses, or maybe he's singing them with a mouth full of molasses or something.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
Come On Eileen is a catchy tune but I never wanted to own it. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
When I went to University in the mid 90s, you couldn't go to a bar any night of the week without this coming on.  Not sure why it ended up being such a party song at that time (in my neck of the woods), but I certainly got my fill of it then.  I like the tune, but don't go seeking it out to listen to. 

I had the 45 as a kid, and I recalled that the band was labeled Dexy's Midnight Runners and the Emerald Express.  Everyone I ever said that to looked at me like I had 7 heads.  Proof is in the pudding.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »
Nice.  I think I had that on a 45 as well, but I don't think it said that.  It is probably still buried somewhere at my parents' house with all of their records.  If I think about it, I'll have to look later today when I go over for Easter.  In the meantime...

The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another

This always struck me as a song I should have liked a lot, but never really did.  I never disliked it, and still don't, but it was just never a favorite at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2012, 04:42:46 AM »
A huge Fixx fan.  Saw them in the 80's.  The guitarist  Jamie West-Oram is one of a kind guitarist.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2012, 05:30:05 AM »

The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another

This always struck me as a song I should have liked a lot, but never really did.  I never disliked it, and still don't, but it was just never a favorite at all.

Right with ya there buddy.  Took me a little time just to recall the song/melody.  Never did much for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »
Chad, how about Red Skies or Are We Ourselves or Saved By Zero?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2012, 07:10:49 AM »
I like "One Thing Leads to Another".  That weird synth sound is cool and I love the percussive sound of the guitar.  It's catchy, and if anything, it's too short.  It didn't have to go on forever like a prog song or anything, but the verses are quick, the break is only eight bars, another quick verse, and out.  There's probably a 10-minute extended dance version somewhere that goes too far the other direction, but this song could've used a little fleshing out overall.

I thought "Red Skies at Night" was also catchy, and "Saved By Zero" as well.  I don't remember "Are We Ourselves?" but overall The Fixx is one of those bands who had a cool sound and were definitely an 80's staple for a while.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »

Honestly, I don't remember The Fixx at all other than this track.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »

Honestly, I don't remember The Fixx at all other than this track.

Try the songs I suggested on Youtube.  I'd love to hear what you think about them.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »
Ah, finally some videos I remember.  I've always liked that Paul Simon and Genesis video.  It's amazing that even when Chevy isn't trying to be funny he was.  And as a kid you can't go wrong with crazy puppets.

I don't remember the video, but I remember that The Fixx song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #272 on: April 08, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
Saved by Zero was definitely my favorite of the hits by The Fixx.  Great tune.

Bryan Adams - Run to You

Very cool song, and the video, with the snow, sums the song up well, as it is a cool song to listen to on a cold, snowy day. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2012, 07:03:16 AM »
Cool straight forward rock from Adams.  He puts on a no nonsense rockin live show and run to you goes over well live.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2012, 09:18:21 AM »
Was a big Bryan Adams fan back in the day. He always had cool videos without going over the top with the cheese.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
I always had mixed feelings about "Run to You".  The lyrics bug me, both for their content and their crappy grammar, but I still like the song.  I remember watching the video and thinking how clichι it all is, but I still think it's really good.  Pop music confuses me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »
Styx - Mr. Roboto

As a kid, I loved this song.  When I got into Styx when I was 17 or so, I grew to really dislike it.  Now, I sort of like it.  The music in it is really good, but the robot thing is sooooo bad.  Although I did enjoy it when DeYoung played it at a solo show of his my brother and I saw about 10 years ago.  I barely remember the video.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2012, 06:16:32 PM »
I don't remember the video at all, and I suspect it will be much easier to retain my enjoyment of the song if I keep it that way.  :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
since it's baseball season, how about some Outfield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMineG1w3U&ob=av2e
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2012, 09:18:19 AM »
Loved Mr. Roboto as a kid but figured out later the damage this album and tour did to the band.  The video is camp city but not as campy as Heavy Metal Poisoning. :lol