Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 305217 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
Susanna Hoffs was one of my biggest crushes.  That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHP6f6MQ_sA&feature=related

How is this possible?! This woman is 53!!!
I'd hit that in a New York minute.

rumborak

Good to see she aged incredibly well, so damn cute. :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »
And her legs still look sexy as hell. :censored

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »
Susanna Hoffs was one of my biggest crushes.  That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHP6f6MQ_sA&feature=related

How is this possible?! This woman is 53!!!
I'd hit that in a New York minute.

rumborak

FIFTY THREE? :O

Damn she's still fine!

As for Street of Dreams-I love the hell out of Rainbow, all the way from the Dio days to the far more commercial Joe Lynn Turner era, and Street of Dreams is a classic. The rest of Bent Out Of Shape isn't quite as good-on the whole I consider it a step down from Straight Between The Eyes, which would make my top 20 of 80s rock albums-but that song's amazing. I remember being SO annoyed when I heard Deep Purple was reuniting because I loved Rainbow so much.

But then I heard Perfect Strangers and, well, got over it really quick.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
The Deep Purple reunion made me so happy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2012, 02:02:23 PM »
The Deep Purple reunion made me so happy!

I had 6th row with no ear plugs at the first show at the Centrum.  My ears were ringing for 3 days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
Wow, she's still a babe!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
She's got a Jaclyn Smith thing going on. Scarecrow and Mrs King era.

Schwing! 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
That was Kate Jackson as Mrs. King.  Wrong original Angel.

That's okay, I'd've taken either of those two.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »
Right-o.  Guess I was too busy fapping back then to pay attention to who was who.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »
Rainbow- "Street of Dreams" is an absolutely fantastic melodic masterpiece.  Love it, it's my favorite post Dio Rainbow track.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2012, 11:32:26 PM »
David Bowie - Let's Dance

I remember hearing this song in passing quite a few times and it never really grabbing me, but all of a sudden one day, it was like, "Wow, this song is really awesome." And I have loved it since.  Funny story, too, is that Stevie Ray Vaughan (who plays the bluesy leads at the end of the song) was not pleased when he saw Bowie miming over his guitar parts in the video (in other words, giving the impression that Bowie had played those guitar leads).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2012, 04:08:42 AM »
Rainbow- "Street of Dreams" is an absolutely fantastic melodic masterpiece.  Love it, it's my favorite post Dio Rainbow track.

Not for me. That would be Lost In Hollywood or Eyes Of The World.

Although it was more Rainbow sounding than DP, I always liked the Slaves & Masters album with JLT. Perfect Strangers was an awesome return for DP though. In fact I enjoyed House Of Blue Light too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2012, 04:32:04 AM »

I remember hearing this song in passing quite a few times and it never really grabbing me, but all of a sudden one day, it was like, "Wow, this song is really awesome." And I have loved it since.  Funny story, too, is that Stevie Ray Vaughan (who plays the bluesy leads at the end of the song) was not pleased when he saw Bowie miming over his guitar parts in the video (in other words, giving the impression that Bowie had played those guitar leads).

Fuck I love this song, it's perfect.  We use to cover it and it was one of the most fun songs to play live.  Bowie at his absolute best. 

And yeah, I always assumed it was Bowie doing some cool licks but it is indeed SRV.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »
Def Leppard - Photograph

If you were listening to music almost anywhere in 1983, it was impossible not to hear this song all of the time.  Anyone remember Friday Night Video Fights on MTV?  Yeah, this song dominated, winning like 10 or 11 weeks in a row, which I believe was the record for quite a long time (and maybe forever).  Personally, I like this song, but it was never a favorite, even at the time, and still isn't.  But I do like it.

Wow, yeah, I remember.  And if memory serves, their first win was over Every Breath You Take, which was a big shocker to me.

As funny as it sounds now to say this, Def Leppard was the band that REALLY cemented my love for hard rock.  First album I bought ever was Queen, the Game.  Not too long after, I got Van Halen I.  But the Pyromania album is what REALLY hooked me.  Before I heard Photograph, I had heard about it.  And without ever even hearing Def Leppard, I had written them off as a stupid band with a stupid Led Zepplin rip-off name.  But I had heard about Photograph, and so when I was sitting around watching MTV one night, and Marth Quinn announced that she was going to be showing a Def Lep video shortly, I thought, "Oh, okay.  I can hear that Photograph song and see what that's about."  Nope.  They played Rock Of Ages.  My reaction:  :omg:  Went out and bought the album shortly thereafter.  But once I eventually did hear Photograph, I liked that as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2012, 08:11:56 AM »

I thought it was pretty obvious that that was Stevie Ray on guitar.  He was a hot commodity in the 80's and his sound is pretty distinctive.  David plays guitar, but generally leaves lead work to someone else.  He's had a number of great guitarists in his bands over the years, including SRV, Peter Frampton, Carlos Alomar... when I saw him, he was with Adrian Belew.

Back to the song.  The chorus used to kill me.  "Tremble like a flower!" is so weird, so atonal, that it just didn't register.  It took a while, but I can handle it now, and I like the song.  But some of those chords are freakin' weird.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »

As funny as it sounds now to say this, Def Leppard was the band that REALLY cemented my love for hard rock.  First album I bought ever was Queen, the Game.  Not too long after, I got Van Halen I.  But the Pyromania album is what REALLY hooked me.  Before I heard Photograph, I had heard about it.  And without ever even hearing Def Leppard, I had written them off as a stupid band with a stupid Led Zepplin rip-off name.  But I had heard about Photograph, and so when I was sitting around watching MTV one night, and Marth Quinn announced that she was going to be showing a Def Lep video shortly, I thought, "Oh, okay.  I can hear that Photograph song and see what that's about."  Nope.  They played Rock Of Ages.  My reaction:  :omg:  Went out and bought the album shortly thereafter.  But once I eventually did hear Photograph, I liked that as well.

I knew quite a few people for whom Def Leppard was an early hard rock favorite as well.  Most of them loved that early 80s stuff, but weren't crazy about the wildly popular Hysteria record.

Back to the song.  The chorus used to kill me.  "Tremble like a flower!" is so weird, so atonal, that it just didn't register.  It took a while, but I can handle it now, and I like the song.  But some of those chords are freakin' weird.

:tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Okay, what would an 80s thread be without a song by...

Huey Lewis and the News - If This Is It

Cool song, and a very fun and summery video.  Perfect for a hot day.  Hehe.  Funny sidebar about this song is a few guys I tended bar with about a decade ago, whenever this song came on (which was often), we would always change to the lyrics of the main line to, "Bull fucking shit." :biggrin: :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »

I knew quite a few people for whom Def Leppard was an early hard rock favorite as well.  Most of them loved that early 80s stuff, but weren't crazy about the wildly popular Hysteria record.

Hysteria took a little getting used to, but I pretty much always felt it was a solid album.  Pyromania was a great combination of fun, a bit of a hard edge, and commercial.  Hysteria sacrificed a bit of the hard edge and went a bit more commercial than I would have hoped, but was still a great album.  Adrenalize pushed the band even further in the commercial direction.  And while it sounded a LOT like a Hysteria 2, the songwriting just wasn't as tight, the edge was gone, and it just felt like a band going through the motions. 

Okay, what would an 80s thread be without a song by...

Huey Lewis and the News - If This Is It

Good call.  I used to bang my head against a wall trying to figure out why these guys were so popular.  I mean, yeah, they wrote really catchy songs that would get stuck in your head and kinda make you feel good.  But aside from that, there really isn't anything special about them.  Then one day, it finally occurred to me that perhaps I was overanalyzing things.  Yeah, they wrote really catchy songs that would get stuck in your head and kinda make you feel good.  That pretty much covers it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
Yep, that's it.  Well-written, catchy, feel-good songs.  But no clichés.  Real guitars with good sounds.  Real keys, including Hammond organ.  Real horns.  When you have all that, it doesn't even matter that your singer doesn't have the greatest voice.  He sings in tune and with a lot of feeling.

I finally picked up the album Sports and Holy Crap, it was like every single song was a radio hit.  The first seven tracks were all songs I recognized.  There are only nine songs on the album.  Sure it's 80's music, but it's the kind you can actually listen to and it doesn't sound dated (to me, anyway).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
I can't think of Huey Lewis without also being reminded of American Psycho:

Bateman: You like Huey Lewis and the News?
Paul Allen: They're OK.
Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram.
Bateman: Yes, Allen?
Paul Allen: Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?
Bateman: No, Allen.
Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat?
Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. [rapidly, as if agitated] But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
[he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
I can't think of Huey Lewis without also being reminded of American Psycho:

Bateman: You like Huey Lewis and the News?
Paul Allen: They're OK.
Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram.
Bateman: Yes, Allen?
Paul Allen: Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?
Bateman: No, Allen.
Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat?
Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. [rapidly, as if agitated] But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
[he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!

:lol

You don't get much more 80s rock and roll than Huey Lewis and the News. They managed to bridge a more classic, 60/70s pop style to 80s rock without either side overpowering the other. Great band. If This Is It isn't a favorite of mine, but its memorable and quite catchy. They don't really make bands like this anymore.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
I never bought their music when they were hot in the 80's, (Got the greatest hits later in the 2000's) but damn if I wasn't singing their songs when they were on the Radio.  If This Is It is a good song but there are others like Jacobs Ladder & Do You Believe In Love that are awesome.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Never really cared for Huey Lewis, but their music was right for the time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »
Never really cared for Huey Lewis, but their music was right for the time.

What he said.  Catchy, but catchy = / = enjoyable.  Gonorrhea is catchy too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
Hall & Oates - Family Man

Another 80s fixture, it was tough deciding which songs of theirs to go with first, but I ultimately went with my favorite.  Cool song, and the video increased my appreciation for it thanks to the extended middle section.  If you are not familiar with it, check out the video or get the nearly 6-minute rock mix version of this tune.  You won't be disappointed!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »
Good band.  The second album I ever purchased with my own money was their album, Rock 'n Soul Part 1.  But as far as the song you picked, I couldn't even remember it without going and watching the video.  Good song, but I probably would have picked on of their other chart toppers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »
Yeah, picking one of their more popular hits probably would have been best, but oh well. :P

Talking Heads - Burning Down the House

Great tune by a great band, a band whose music has aged extremely well.  This was one of my favorites at the time when I was 10.  In particular, I found the end of the song and video completely hypnotizing, with that creepy keyboard underneath that awesome drum beat.  This is a great song to listen to loud, and when my brother and I saw David Byrne play it at a solo show a few years back, it brought the house down; it didn't burn it down. :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
Though not a fan, I have always had immense respect for the Talking Heads.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »
Great song.  Great video.  So far, you've hit two of my "5 must-have '80s songs" if I were to make a non-rock essential '80s collection.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
I actually first heard the cover of this song by The Cardigans & Tom Jones before the original. Cool song, although not my favourite TH track (Road To Nowhere).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
Yes, best listened to loud. Great driving song. Though nothing I would go out of my way to listen to. At least you didn't go with 'Once in a Lifetime.'

Cool use of it in 'Revenge of the Nerds.'
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
Once in a Lifetime is great, too!  As is all of Remain in Light. :)

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

Who wouldn't love a video featuring the lovely Christie Brinkley, Joel's main squeeze at the time? 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
Family Man isn't one I'm as familiar with, though I have heard it.  I like Out of Touch.  Can't put my finger on what it is I like, but I do.  I saw them many years ago and it was a great show.

Burning Down The House is excellent.  I want my band to do a harder edged version of it, a la Lukas Rossi, from Rockstar: Supernova.

Perfect use of it in 'Revenge of the Nerds.'

FTFY

Uptown Girl - Christie Brinkley.  'Nuff said.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Missed both David Bowie and Huey Lewis. I need to keep a closer eye on this thread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:41 AM »
I need to keep it more active, too, quite honestly.  I'll do my best.