Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308202 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2240 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Valerie

Sometime in the 80's, the band self-destructed and I moved back home with my parents.  It turned out that during my time away, Valerie, the little girl next door who I used to babysit, had grown up.  Very nicely, in fact.  It was summer, and she used to spend every afternoon on their deck, tanning.  My bedroom was in the back corner of our house, basically overlooking their deck.  It seemed like she had a new bikini every week.  One time, she was adjusting the straps, trying to figure out how to do the thing where you untie it but set the strings so that they don't leave tan marks, and she realized that she'd introduced a half-twist somewhere in there and there was no way.  In frustration, she just took it off, straightened everything out, and lay it upon her.  Summertime, middle of the day on a weekday, nobody's home, right?

Valerie

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2241 on: January 16, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2242 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
Valerie

Sometime in the 80's, the band self-destructed and I moved back home with my parents.  It turned out that during my time away, Valerie, the little girl next door who I used to babysit, had grown up.  Very nicely, in fact.  It was summer, and she used to spend every afternoon on their deck, tanning.  My bedroom was in the back corner of our house, basically overlooking their deck.  It seemed like she had a new bikini every week.  One time, she was adjusting the straps, trying to figure out how to do the thing where you untie it but set the strings so that they don't leave tan marks, and she realized that she'd introduced a half-twist somewhere in there and there was no way.  In frustration, she just took it off, straightened everything out, and lay it upon her.  Summertime, middle of the day on a weekday, nobody's home, right?

Valerie

Hey, epic stories about the songs in this thread is MY GIMMICK!  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2243 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »
Sorry man, I've only ever met one girl in my life named Valerie, and if you mention that name and the 80's, this is the first thing I think of.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2244 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »
Way to go Hamilton.  Awesome, totally awesome!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2245 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
An amazingly solid album, but this one's an average filler track imo. Not bad, and it's a song I will listen to in the grand scheme of the album, but not a song that interests me on its own.

I've never seen the video. I'm guessing the video isn't worth watching?

I love Vital Sign, my favourite "straight" AOR album. This is a good song from it.
Richard Marx was good too.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2246 on: January 16, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
Sorry man, I've only ever met one girl in my life named Valerie, and if you mention that name and the 80's, this is the first thing I think of.

Not a problem, it is a worthy epic tale for this thread.  :biggrin:
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2247 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
Pet Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield

Easily one of the most played videos of 1983; it was seemingly on every hour.  And I loved it.  Neat little video that told a rather interesting story about a young girl running away from home to be on her own, and the song is damn good, too.  I recently saw the video again and thought, "Okay, where do I know that actor who played her dad from??"  Sure enough, I looked it up, and he was in Raising Arizona (the rich guy whose babies they kidnap) and Bull Durham (the Bulls manager). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2248 on: January 16, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »
Okay, now we're talking.  Good song.  The only other two songs I can recall from her are Shadows Of The Night and Hit Me With Your Best Shot.  Didn't like any of them enough to buy any of her stuff, but they were all fair enough tunes to bob one's head to for 3 minutes or so.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2249 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »
This song was the exact point at which the vast majority of Pat Benatar's audience, who had loved her as that rarest of hard rock women, ran screaming in the other direction because she had gone totally new wave. It gained her a new audience because this song was right huge, but I was pretty well over her at this point. And to this date, the big dance number just cracks me the hell up.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2250 on: January 16, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
This song was the exact point at which the vast majority of Pat Benatar's audience, who had loved her as that rarest of hard rock women, ran screaming in the other direction because she had gone totally new wave. It gained her a new audience because this song was right huge, but I was pretty well over her at this point. And to this date, the big dance number just cracks me the hell up.

Yeah, this 100%.

Also... is it bad that I had to YT Valerie to remember it? :facepalm: :loser:

Offline emtee

« Reply #2251 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
I still remember seeing Pat, Journey and Eddie Money during the summer of 1980 in Flint at Atwood Staduim.

Very powerful voice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2252 on: January 17, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round

Oddly, I remember the song really well, but don't remember the video at all.  Even checking it now, it doesn't look the least bit familiar.  Weird.  But anyway, this is one of those songs that is easy to identify as classic 80s, helped of course by its placement in the opening credits of The Wedding Singer, a 90s movie set in the mid 80s.  It's a fun song.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round

Oddly, I remember the song really well, but don't remember the video at all.  Even checking it now, it doesn't look the least bit familiar.  Weird.  But anyway, this is one of those songs that is easy to identify as classic 80s, helped of course by its placement in the opening credits of The Wedding Singer, a 90s movie set in the mid 80s.  It's a fun song.

Plus it gave us meat spin?
 :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2254 on: January 17, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Everytime that video came on MTV I reached for the clicker.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
Great song, hokey video. A song where the dance remixes are better than the original, and there are several of them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2256 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
Always liked this song.

And what Chris said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2257 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
I recognize that this song is kinda crap, and the video as well, but I love them both.

To this day, I rarely speak of turning around or going around, it's always "right round baby, right round".  Like a record, baby!   :yarr

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2258 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
Everytime that video came on MTV I reached for the clicker.

Radio dial for me, but ayup.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2259 on: January 17, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
My library contains the 8:03 extended mix.

:kvlt:

I know this was made for another song in mind, but it could apply to this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o0Vv8lr41w
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2260 on: January 17, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »
My ex used to sing this song's chorus until it got stuck in my head.

Of course I hate the fucking thing now.  :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2262 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Damn!

I was pretty meh on Pete Burns before, being a straight guy and all, but I don't care which way you swing, he's just plain ugly now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
Why does everyone who goes through plastic surgery eventually look like Janice the Muppet?

My library contains the 8:03 extended mix.

Checked my dance remix folder and mine is 7:59 so presumably the same. I have had it so long I don’t know where I got it. I have a couple shorter ones too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2264 on: January 17, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
I used to have a version on my iPod, I don't even remember where but probably downloaded peer-to-peer back in the Napster days.  It was somewhat longer than the video version, maybe some kind of medium dance mix.  Since I didn't have the album or anything, it just lived in my "Mondo Mix" playlist, but I had to remove it eventually because it was so much louder than anything else I had.

WATCH OUT HERE I COME - COME - COME - COME!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2265 on: January 17, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2266 on: January 17, 2013, 09:10:30 PM »
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2267 on: January 18, 2013, 12:40:55 AM »
Talking Heads - Wild Wild Life

Damn good tune, and as usual with this band, a wholly entertaining video.  They just had a knack for making videos that you just couldn't take your eyes off of.  Always writing great tunes sure helped a lot, too.  :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: January 18, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »
Honestly can't stand Talking Heads, just never did anything for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2269 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:27 AM »
The Heads had some catchy songs, and a lot of them were just weird.  For me, this one was a little of each, and not quite enough of either to be interesting.  David Byrne is a strange guy, and a lot of the time I watch or listen to Talking Heads and just think "David Bryne is a strange guy".  It rarely gets beyond that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2270 on: January 18, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
Byrne is a strange guy, but that strangeness helped make their videos so neat.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: January 18, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
Love this track.  We (wife and I) saw Byrne and St. Vincent a couple months back here in town.. what a great show. He's still very 'stiff' on stage, even outside of the Talking Heads "robotic" persona.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2272 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
My brother and I saw Byrne back in late '08 when he was touring on the Everything That Happens Will Happen Today record he did with Brian Eno and it was a fantastic show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2273 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
I always thought they were a cool band, but never liked them quite enough to buy any of their albums.  And the only songs that I really have strong memory of nowadays are the already-discussed Burning Down The House and Once In A Lifetime.  After YouTube'ing this one, I definitely remember it.  Catchy song, but not as good as the two I just mentioned.  As usual, quirky video that is also quite funny.

To go briefly off topic, I just had an '80s flashback with a friend of mine with a band I am going to assume will NOT be discussed in this thread, so I posted in the Occasional Cozmo Recommendation thread, if anyone is interested.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2274 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
Rick Springfield - Rock of Life

Jesse's Girl was his biggest hit of the 80s, but I always thought this hit from 1988 was much, much better.  I was a big fan of this song when it was out, and I still like it.  In fact, I had the Rock of Life cassette, and I remember all of Side 1 being really solid, although it's probably been over 20 years since I've heard any of the songs besides Rock of Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkXMrjrX-ic