Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 305524 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2100 on: December 19, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
Don't hurt yourself, big spender. :P :jets:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2101 on: December 20, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

I had no idea that there were two versions of this song until literally yesterday.  I only ever knew what was apparently the 2nd version, the one re-recorded for the Pretty in Pink soundtrack.  Maybe it's because I am often partial to the first version I hear of a song, but the 2nd version is much better, if you ask me.  I like the saxophone playing the lead, even if it does up the cheese factor. :biggrin: Anyway, good song, and it's hard not to think of the movie when I hear it cause it was another of those videos with plenty of movie clips included.  Not that the movie is that great (it is an enjoyable 80s flick, but not much else), but it is hard to hear the song without thinking of it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2102 on: December 20, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
An inoffensive enough song.  I wasn't aware that there were two versions, either.  The singer from The Furs had a cool voice, the kind of "smooth Euro" voices I associate with the 80's, but in a good way, I guess.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2103 on: December 20, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
The Psychedelic Furs had better tunes, but Pretty In Pink wasn't too bad.

Their singer was/is Richard Butler, btw.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2104 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »
Time for some holiday spirit...

Billy Squier - Christmas Is the Time to Say "I Love You"

Anyone who grew up watching MTV in its earliest years should love the video of him performing this in the MTV studios with the help of the MTV crew, including early VJ's like Martha Quinn, Mark Goodman, J.J. Jackson, etc.  This is another song I had totally forgotten about until I saw it last week, but seeing the video again was a total reminder of how awesome and fun the 80s were.  Call it cheesy, call it corny, call it whatever you want, but it sure was fun back then. :coolio

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekHPlFNMIc

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2105 on: December 20, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
MTV playing this was shocking simply because, at the time, Metallica had been a band that had resolutely sworn to NEVER make a music video. I remember the night it debuted on Headbanger's Ball, and at the top of the hour they announced videos by assorted bands that were going to be played, and when the announcer said "Metallica" I turned to my best friend and asked "Did they say METALLICA?" To our shock, they HAD, and it was equally shocking that it was the full length version of the song. After it took off, there was a single version of One, which was still around five minutes long or so, but when it debuted it was the full song. The song itself is the standard Metallica thrashy ballad, and honestly, they never did that better than Fade To Black, but back then, seeing a seven minute plus Metallica video on MTV was like seeing the metal underground march out into the light.

Good post dude.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2106 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
Billy Squier - Christmas Is the Time to Say "I Love You"

[Monty Python and the Holy Grail] RUN AWAY!  RUN AWAY!!! [/Monty Python and the Holy Grail]

But seriously... NO.  Hell no.  Never liked that song.  I'd much rather hear a loop of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" than... THAT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2107 on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
Haha, the song itself is obviously not very good, but the video is so much fun, and seeing all of those old MTV VJs was cool.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2108 on: December 20, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
I'll give you that. :jets:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2109 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
I heard that Billy Squier song on a local classic rock station a few years back, and my head-which does strange things to songs sometimes-instantly re-purposed it as a cry from Billy Squier to get people to buy his music now. "CHRISTMAS IS A TIME TO SAY I LOVE YOU, AND BUY DON'T SAY NO FOR ALL YOUR FRIENDS THIS YEAR."  :rollin

What can I say, the weirdness in my head wasn't just from my drinking days.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2110 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
 :jets:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2111 on: December 21, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?

I don't care what anyone says, I think this is a good song and one I still enjoy a lot during the holiday season.  Noteworthy is the drum fill Phil Collins does following Bono's, "Well tonight, thank God it's them instead of you!" line; I still love that little fill there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: December 21, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
You should do a battle of the bands

Band Aid vs Hear n Aid

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2113 on: December 22, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?

I don't care what anyone says, I think this is a good song and one I still enjoy a lot during the holiday season.

Completely agreed.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: December 22, 2012, 04:53:41 AM »
Yeah I enjoy this too. It's in my regular rotation of Christmas songs every year.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2115 on: December 22, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
Run-D.M.C. - Christmas in Hollis

Despite never being much of a fan of rap, I gotta big kick out of this song and video when it was big in late '88, but it didn't age well for me at all.  I don't think it sucks or anything, but the novelty, or whatever you want to call it, of it simply wore off quickly and it became forgettable.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2116 on: December 22, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
Yeah! This was one of the first rap songs that I actually liked. The music video is classic as well.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2117 on: December 22, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
Back to Band Aid.  Great song, and great initiative by Geldof.  Might be my patriotism showing, but of the three songs to come out of that idea (this, We Are The World, and Tears Are Not Enough), I was always partial to Canada's effort.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2118 on: December 22, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
I like the 3 Christmas songs but never really play them even at Christmas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2119 on: December 22, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »

Despite never being much of a fan of rap, I gotta big kick out of this song and video when it was big in late '88, but it didn't age well for me at all.  I don't think it sucks or anything, but the novelty, or whatever you want to call it, of it simply wore off quickly and it became forgettable.

Enduring memory of this song:

"This IS Christmas music!" in Die Hard.  :biggrin:
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2120 on: December 24, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
UB40 - Red Red Wine

There are no words to describe how much I hate this song.  I guess the music ain't bad, but the vocals are so damn annoying.  It didn't help that a friend loved this song at the time it was out and played the shit out of it. :facepalm:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2121 on: December 24, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »
I've never been a fan of UB40's modern reggae pop sound.  The music just doesn't seem to do anything, and as you said, the vocals are annoying, too.   That doesn't leave a lot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: December 24, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
I feel the same Bob.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2123 on: December 24, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
Oh god, I loathe Red Red Wine. About the time the one guy starts ad libbing shit-RED RED WINE MAKE YOU FEEL SO FINE, I'MMA GONNA CHOKE ON SOAP ON A ROPE or whatever it is-I want to collectively punch the band in the dick.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2124 on: December 25, 2012, 06:24:36 AM »
Red Red Wine = _floyd's puking emote

Christmas in Hollis :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2125 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
Europe - Superstitious

This was not only my favorite Europe song back in the day, but it was one of my favorite songs of 1988 at the time.  Easily the best chorus the band ever wrote, the rest of the song around it is rock solid as well.  I defy an 80s fan to listen to this song and then have that chorus not get stuck in their head. :lol :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2126 on: December 29, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »
I have no memory of this song at all.  :lol Is this off the same album as Open Your Heart, which I actually DO remember?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2127 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Yes, although I think Open Your Heart was redone.  The redone version was the popular one with the video, and that is the one from the same album as Superstitious, Out of This World (which is actually good from start to finish).

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2128 on: December 29, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Yeah, Open Your Heart was a redone version of an older Europe song. I actually bought that song off itunes a few years back. Always liked the switch from acoustic verses to that big riff driven chorus. Need to try the rest of that album someday.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: December 29, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
Europe - Superstitious

This was not only my favorite Europe song back in the day, but it was one of my favorite songs of 1988 at the time.  Easily the best chorus the band ever wrote, the rest of the song around it is rock solid as well.  I defy an 80s fan to listen to this song and then have that chorus not get stuck in their head. :lol :biggrin:

This is one of those songs you look at youtube like I did and go, "Oh yeah!"  I forgot about this tune.  Not bad but they do have better tunes than this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: December 29, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
Europe gets a bad rap, but they're a very solid band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2131 on: January 02, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »

I LOVE this song!  And while I recognize that it's really not a very good song, I still love it nonetheless. 

UB40 - Red Red Wine

There are no words to describe how much I hate this song.  I guess the music ain't bad, but the vocals are so damn annoying.  It didn't help that a friend loved this song at the time it was out and played the shit out of it. :facepalm:

I don't hate it like some others do, but never really liked it much either.  My step-mom is Jamaican, born and raised, so I grew up with authentic reggae on the stereo morning, noon and night, which made UB40's brand of pop-reggae seem weak in comparison.  Still, they had some good, catchy tunes.  Funny that this song was their biggest hit, since I remember there being much stronger songs on the same album (although I would be hard pressed now to remember what they are).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2132 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is a Place on Earth

A catchy enough song to where its popularity was no surprise, but while it wasn't a song I hated, it wasn't one I really liked at all.  It was just kind of there.  And I was totally oblivious to the similarity its chorus had to Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name until I read about it online a few years ago, and then I was like, "Duh." :facepalm: :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2133 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
...damn those two songs DO have a similar chorus.  :lol

One of the things I seem to recall about Belinda Carisle's solo career at the time this song came out was how big a deal it was that OMG BELINDA CARISLE IS SKINNY NOW. As if she was ever, ya know, what you'd call grossly overweight. Some things never change.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2134 on: January 02, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »
Yeah, she wasn't fat, but the Go-Go's obviously partied hard, so she had a little bit of fat (but still looked good).  I guess she had toned down the partying and drinking by 1986 when her first solo album came out.