Author Topic: [Music] RPWL - Beyond Man and Time  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] RPWL - Beyond Man and Time
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
Band: RPWL
Album: Beyond Man and Time
Year: 2012
Genre: Progressive-Rock
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Man-And-Time-RPWL/dp/B006TVC2HS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331604852&sr=8-1

In 2008 I noticed an album called The RPWL Experience getting a bit of buzz, but ended up never checking it out. Now, 4 years later, I’ve come to regret that decision. The band’s newest album, Beyond Man and Time offers a very fascinating listen.

Much of the time I would say the best word to describe the band is enchanting, as lush and gentle sounds are wonderfully presented to captivate the listener. If that’s not enough, tracks like “Unchain the Earth” deliver some fantastic vocal melodies and hooks that help draw the listener back for repeated listens. Although I hate to call the music simple, the delivery on much of the album is far from going over anyone’s head. More often than not songs end up being a great collection of good ideas blended together very well. This is well seen on tracks like “Beyond Man and Time” and “The Shadow” which make great use of available space that allows the tracks to breathe wonderfully. While I don’t think the band sounds too much like Pink Floyd, it’s in this trait that their genesis as a Pink Floyd cover band becomes clear.

“The Fisherman” is the only track on the album to cross the 10 minute mark, and by a healthy margin at nearly 17 minutes. As with their shorter songs one tends to get lost in the atmosphere and not notice exactly how long the song is. While this attempt at the classic prog epic is very good, I wouldn’t say it is the premier piece of the album as many of the shorter tracks tend to get as much done in less time. Examples of this include “The Ugliest Man in the World” and “The Road of Creation”, both of which sum up what is great about this band.

While I would say the album has grown off me slightly over time, there is no denying there was a big pull from them initially, and that was caused by something different in the core of their sound that really grabbed me. If I had to compare them to another act I’d say you’d be looking at times at a German version of Beardfish that maintains a slightly more mainstream sound. At others times your simply hearing a bunch of great neo-prog influences rolled up into a neat and tidy ball of RPWL.

Nick's Rating: 9/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: [Music] RPWL - Beyond Man and Time
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
I have one song from them but never bought anything.  I think I'll try this album out.  Thanks Nick.

Edit.  Just ordered it with the Flying Colors CD.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:00:24 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
I ordered my copy with OSI b/c I ordered Flying Colors the first day of preorder

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
I meant to but for some reason I said I would get it local and then I woke up.  Why should I travel when it can come to me in the mail.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »
Got the version with the accompanying audiobook. Man, the latter is veeery philosophical...! Great effort!!
The recent tour also gets rave reviews. Here's a German one with lots of pics: https://www.musikzirkus-magazin.de/dateien/Pages/Konzerte/rock/rpwl_21.04.2012.htm

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »
After having it for about a month I can state with a high degree of certainty that this is an excellent album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
I saw them live once but never really checked them out after that. I will now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
After having it for about a month I can state with a high degree of certainty that this is an excellent album.

Yeah, I've been playing the crap out of this CD.  Love it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 07:21:42 AM »
"Wasted Lands" by RPWL is a fantastic song. Such an earworm.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."