Author Topic: Dream Theater played at the award ceremony of e-sports tournament  (Read 2211 times)

Offline TheMadgician

https://youtu.be/WGvtNAntJM0

Starting at about 3:10, played The Count of Tuscany throughout the award ceremony. I thought it was pretty cool to be playing something like that. A lot of people on forums and Reddit have been interested in what the song was, so always good to get some publicity.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater played at the award ceremony of e-sports tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
When I read the thread title, I thought it meant DT played live at some award show and got confused. :lol

I always like hearing about DT getting some more public airplay like this. Warms my cold little heart right up.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
That would have been so cool, but alas no.

IT was a pretty weird choice, for an award ceremony, but oddly fitting. They play the passage with the synth coming in for the winners, Moscow 5, and it's kind of awesome. A little bit of nerd chills. If only I didn't hate M5.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:21 PM »
That's really cool. I'm glad some more people are being exposed to a tiny bit of Dream Theater!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »
I know, and considering the stream had over 250,000 viewers, along with the venue being filled to capacity, that's quite a few people who have just found some fantastic new music.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
I was waiting forever for JPs guitar melody, itīs like sex without climax! Aaahhhhhh!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »

IT was a pretty weird choice, for an award ceremony, but oddly fitting. They play the passage with the synth coming in for the winners, Moscow 5, and it's kind of awesome. A little bit of nerd chills. If only I didn't hate M5.
Why do you hate M5? It's one of my favorite teams (the other is CLG.eu) and I thought they played really well this tournament, especially during the finals.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
DT during Intel Extreme Masters is nothing new. Pretty much every IEM event has DT music in it - I already heard As I Am, These Walls and JP's Jaws of Life.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
Why repeat the intro over and over? -_-
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »

Why do you hate M5? It's one of my favorite teams (the other is CLG.eu) and I thought they played really well this tournament, especially during the finals.

I've found them to be really arrogant and kind of condescending. I'll admit they're fantastic players. They played amazingly. But I don't like them. The term glorious bastard applies. I'd say my favorite is TSM. I haven't watched much Dig or CLG, but I was really really impressed by them at Hannover. Voyboys Lee Sin and HotshotGG holding off a whole team as Udyr so his team could split push. So impressed.

DT during Intel Extreme Masters is nothing new. Pretty much every IEM event has DT music in it - I already heard As I Am, These Walls and JP's Jaws of Life.

Really? I haven't watched it previous years and I missed IEM NY and the award ceremony at Kiev.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »

I've found them to be really arrogant and kind of condescending. I'll admit they're fantastic players. They played amazingly. But I don't like them. The term glorious bastard applies. I'd say my favorite is TSM. I haven't watched much Dig or CLG, but I was really really impressed by them at Hannover. Voyboys Lee Sin and HotshotGG holding off a whole team as Udyr so his team could split push. So impressed.

Really? I haven't watched it previous years and I missed IEM NY and the award ceremony at Kiev.

I think it might have been the first time they were played during the award ceremony - but the short pieces of music between matches / during interviews were quite often DT.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFDza830p3I Quake Live final from last year, "As I Am" played around 6 minute mark :)

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
Besides the DT music, this video is full of awkward.

Sunlight...? People...? Shaking hands...? Talking in person...? Whaaaaa...?  :omg:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
Nerdsports are still full of awesome. :)

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »
Be happy you didn't see the little fan contests between games. Those were so painfully awkward. This was only really bad for the MVP award when they made a really bad joke.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
Be happy you didn't see the little fan contests between games. Those were so painfully awkward. This was only really bad for the MVP award when they made a really bad joke.
Agreed lol. Those were so incredibly stupid.