Author Topic: What do you think about GMO Food?  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: What do you think about GMO Food?
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »
Hell, all corn on Earth is genetically modified.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »
Hell, all corn on Earth is genetically modified.
Most of that corn you're referring to is from seed lines that existed before the genetic modification processes existed at all, yet alone when they were introduced to producing crops.

Hint: Genetic modification specifically refers to inserting genes into the organism's genome or deleting ones that are in it. That's different from other existing processes such as hybridization.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
Well so much for trying to be cheeky in P/R.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
I've known plenty of people who made that statement and weren't being cheeky, so I thought you might be one more of them...

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
Hey I actually have a paper about this due tomorrow that I've yet to write!  I think they should label it.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »
From a food safety standpoint, I have no issue with GMO foods.  That said, there are other aspects that concern. 

One, these modified organism are being introduced into the ecosystem, and may throw the delicate balance out of whack, either by outcompeting similar species, or because pests will evolve to defeat the protections that are being engineered in, and we have no idea how the modified pests will affect the ecosystem in unforseen ways.  In a way, it's like having a homebrew invasive species.

Two, some of the companies that commercialize these technologies are real assholes.  I'm convinced that Monsanto is more evil the oil companies and tobacco companies combined...they would be exhibit A if I ever wanted to make an argument that big business and capitalism is evil.  Their approach to farmers over the last 15 years says it all.
https://bestmeal.info/monsanto/company-history.shtml

Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
Hmm, I was considering how platns might evolve, but I completely overlooked the pests who prey on those plants. And pests can be pretty broud, to bacteria and viruses.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »
No judgments, nothing, just a label that explains what a product is. If you tell me that knowing what a product is, is bad for everyone....then I have no idea how to respond to that.
I think the issue here is that when people see this label on their foods they will buy other foods. The reason for this is that because people are generally ill-informed and/or ignorant, what goes on their mind is the following: I see this cheaper food with a label that says GENETICALLY MODIFIED and a little more costly food that doesn't say that... So genetically modified foods are probably a bad thing. I'll get the other foods.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
I think the issue here is that when people see this label on their foods they will buy other foods.
Isn't that how things are supposed to work? You tell me what your product is and what it contains then I determine if I want to buy it or not.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »
Yes but the point is that labels are no use if the consumer is ill-informed (or not informed at all) about what they mean. Like I said, 90% (I just made this number up) of consumers will buy the other food thinking it is somehow better when it is only more expensive.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »
Yes but the point is that labels are no use if the consumer is ill-informed (or not informed at all) about what they mean. Like I said, 90% (I just made this number up) of consumers will buy the other food thinking it is somehow better when it is only more expensive.
That's their choice. I would prefer to err on the side of giving too much information rather than not enough.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
If you honestly believe that anywhere near 90% of people can afford that stuff, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
I think GMO-Products should be labeled, if not for anything more than customer awareness. People should know what they are buying. With that being said, I don't have a problem with GMO's in general.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
NO ONE in this thread believes GMOs are bad for you? Allow me to point you in the right direction:

https://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11361.cfm

Livestock all around the world have died from consuming GMO crops. People who are forced to farm these things get horrible allergies. The livers of mice fed GMO potatoes atrophied. That tells you all you need to know. You wanna know what pisses me off? Penn & Teller did a show supposedly debunking the dangers of GMO crops and their argument boiled down to "they're safe because the government says so." WTF guys? I thought you were government hating libertarians? Seems like far too many "skeptics" are atheists who just replace "religion" with "science" and "the government."

And yes, Monsanto is probably the most evil corporation in the world. Right up there with BP. Anyone who trusts GMO foods should watch the "The World According To Monsanto."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
Says the Monday Morning Lunatic. Now come on... is that really a credible source of information?

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Absolutely. It cites everything meticulously. You can read the studies and articles for yourself.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
I was talking about you, as the source providing the information. It was more targeted on your username. Kind of a bad joke... Anyways, I tend to agree with the possibilities of adverse health affects related to GMO's.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
I'm in the same boat and try to eat foods produced naturally as much as possible.

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
I was talking about you, as the source providing the information. It was more targeted on your username. Kind of a bad joke... Anyways, I tend to agree with the possibilities of adverse health affects related to GMO's.

Haha, well I don't blame you. I am an eccentric person anyways and I chose the username specifically for that reason.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

Also, why should you lot like information being available? I have no problem with labels.
Because it's being pushed by people who think GMO=bad. There's little evidence for that, and the best route seems to be a cautious move forward with the technology, as you suggested. The labeling stirs up controversy where there shouldn't be any. What's the average shopper going to make of a "this product has been genetically altered" label when he buys tomatoes at the grocery store?

Ask why it's genetically altered.  And then, one of two things will happen:

"Why is this product genetically altered?"
"Just a few hormones to make it grow faster, make the flavor a little richer, and make the tomato more resistant to weeds and pests.  This has been tested relentlessly by the FDA and has shown, at least so far, to have no meaningful environmental impact."
"Oh, okay.  I'm glad science exists."

Or:

"Why is this product genetically altered?"
"Well.... you see....  We made it so the plant never produces seeds, ever."
"But doesn't this mean that farmers won't be able to ever plant a tomato again?  Only you would have the power to make tomato seeds?"
"That's not the point.  It means it will be seedless for you, the general public."
"We already have seedless fruits and vegetables without doing this.  The only reason this is a GMO is to screw over farmers.  I'm buying organic."

When you're afraid of people asking questions, it's usually because you know you can't answer truthfully.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 06:24:26 PM »
BTW, hormone injection isn't a genetic alteration.