Author Topic: Things you were told/believed as a child  (Read 12077 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things you were told/believed as a child
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »
Ok, I have to say...that is some serious mind bending shit. When I was like 4, I would always say that I should "tell my mommy she's beautiful, even if she looks like a truck."

No joke...that's weird.

It's probably a line from some TV show or movie.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
I was convinced that if I played the piano well enough I could control people's feelings.

I'm still not convinced otherwise.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Keep at it, woman!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
Keep at it, woman!

It's true, I swear it's true. :rina:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
It is true.  I've seen people moved to tears listening to someone play the piano.  I've done it myself.  I'd call that controlling someone's feelings.  I'm sure you could do it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »
It is true.  I've seen people moved to tears listening to someone play the piano.  I've done it myself.  I'd call that controlling someone's feelings.  I'm sure you could do it.

I was about to post something like this except add that sugar and spice and everything nice. Very true, funny that you thought that, Rina... it's totally possible! You have the powahhhh!!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »
ha just remembered this:

When I first heard DT Falling into Infinity, I thought that John Petrucci was playing guitar and singing, and I thought all the keyboard solos were just guitar solos with a cool effect.

I definitely used to believe that when all bands recorded albums, they just recorded live in one big room and hit the record button and do each song in one single take. Even in my early teens, I had no idea of the concept of overdubbing so when I could clearly hear two different guitar parts overlapping knowing that the band had only one guitar player, I figured they were somehow so talented that they figured out how to play two completely different riffs at the same time.

:rollin Fucking awesome!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
I was once afraid of butterflies landing on me, because they'd obviously suck my blood.

I also used to believe that pee could come in all sorts of colours like blue and red.

I thought that China and Japan were just like the U.S., while Europe, except England was definitely a magic medieval realm. 

I thought the moon was probably sentient but only when you couldn't see it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
There were little workmen inside your gut that used their hammers and pickaxes to get poop out of your butt.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »

I thought the moon was probably sentient but only when you couldn't see it.

That's just cool as fuck.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »
There's the standard stuff like Santa, Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

I also believed Neverland was real.

I thought actors in nude scenes were wearing some fake body parts or something (Who would go nude in public?!!?)
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
This one may be TMI, uncomfortable to read, and you may think I'm making this up, but I swear I actually believed this.

I thought black people's semen was black.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
I didn't know vaginae were actual openings into the body. I thought they were just big hairy entanglements. Pee dripped out of the hair at the very end (the hair was like coiled up yarn, so there was only one thread).

I guess my mom's vagina is just really gross.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
Are you trying to out-do me or something? :|

Offline Ħ

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
Well, I'm not trying to out-do you.   :eyebrows:

:)

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2012, 05:48:50 AM »

I was about to post something like this except add that sugar and spice and everything nice. Very true, funny that you thought that, Rina... it's totally possible! You have the powahhhh!!
:metal

Nahbutseriously, totally thought stuff like that had magical abilities.

:facepalm:

Also, totally thought it was pronounced "lightling", not "lightning", no one corrected me until I was older than I'm proud of.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »
In college, I wrote a few chapters of a really bad story where musicians who were sufficiently gifted could produce music with actual kinetic power.  Slamming a power chord could crush cinder blocks and cause traffic accidents and that kind of thing.  It was actually done by channelling telekinetic energy through the music, and of course people had discovered the destructive powers of it first.  So it was up to me and my bandmates to defeat them in an epic concert/battle wherein we were the "good" guys and they were the "bad".  We would eventually show the world the positive power of music, as music was becoming associated with a lot of bad things because of what the idiots were doing.  The writing was pretty horrible, but I liked the concept.  Like I said, this was college; I'm sure there were chemicals involved.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »
I didn't know vaginae were actual openings into the body. I thought they were just big hairy entanglements. Pee dripped out of the hair at the very end (the hair was like coiled up yarn, so there was only one thread).

I guess my mom's vagina is just really gross.

Um, yeah.  In all honesty though, I'm pretty sure every kid thinks his mom's vagina is gross.  It's his friends mom's vagina that gets him, something about that strange.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
ha just remembered this:

When I first heard DT Falling into Infinity, I thought that John Petrucci was playing guitar and singing, and I thought all the keyboard solos were just guitar solos with a cool effect.

I definitely used to believe that when all bands recorded albums, they just recorded live in one big room and hit the record button and do each song in one single take. Even in my early teens, I had no idea of the concept of overdubbing so when I could clearly hear two different guitar parts overlapping knowing that the band had only one guitar player, I figured they were somehow so talented that they figured out how to play two completely different riffs at the same time.

So to expands upon this further--

When I was about 3 or 4 I thought that the musicians playing either on the radio or a record had been shrunk and were inside the speakers. :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
That I could be an astronaut. Do you know what it takes to become one? That shit is absolutely insane.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.