Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226775 times)

Offline Kocak

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #3010 on: November 06, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »
I haven't watched the video clip yet but I'm excited for a new live release. I really hope there is more focus on other band members other than SW. My biggest complaint with Arriving Somewhere is that you'd often hear Gavin, or Colin, or Richard doing something cool and the camera was fixed on Steven.

I watched the live video before reading your post. The camera isn't fixed on SW but the two live members are almost excluded from the video. When the camera is on them, the angles are really odd. Actually, watching it again now, I find all the camera angles to be odd.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3011 on: November 06, 2023, 02:30:04 PM »
The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pavnAi7lNk

That looked and sounded great. I really wished artists would start selling the physical 4k discs. The youtube video is already available in 4k, why not just reprint that too?

Same.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3012 on: November 06, 2023, 05:11:33 PM »
The grainy effect makes watching Arriving Somewhere... a little irksome, although it is still really good.

I dig the look of the Harridan clip they released, so this could be their best one yet; this looks to be the best stage production they have ever had.  It won't bother me if the non-members of the band aren't shown very much; a Porcupine Tree live video is naturally going to show the members of Porcupine Tree the most.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3013 on: November 06, 2023, 09:41:11 PM »
I always thought that the grainy effect made it feel a lot more like a concert film. Like the ones that they used to release in theaters for midnight showings.  I know that it was an idea born out of bad lighting at the show, but I think it ended up being a brilliant artistic idea.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3014 on: November 07, 2023, 02:03:02 AM »
I think the clip looks and sounds great. Stage production was good. At Ziggo Dome itself I did wish they had extra screens on the sides, the size of the venue is in that range. But on this release that doesn't really matter.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3015 on: November 07, 2023, 04:37:33 AM »
It puzzles me that DT are being criticized for doing shows with a click track, but SW has been doing it for years and no one complains  ???

Anyway this video looks and sounds awesome, so I'll probably order the 4LP set and the bluray. This will be expensive again, but ah well.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3016 on: November 07, 2023, 05:52:10 AM »
It puzzles me that DT are being criticized for doing shows with a click track, but SW has been doing it for years and no one complains  ???

I'm generally against a click, but it's all about how you react to it.

On one end of the spectrum is a band I love dearly, Haken, but are a perfect example of how not to use a click track. They present amazing music live, and it sounds great, but visually it can too often look like, Ross aside, they've gone from practicing at home to the click to practicing at their one spot on stage to the click. On the other end you have something like Ayreon that needs a click for a lot of reasons, but everyone is so engaging (speaking just of the band, not necessarily all the singers) you don't notice or care.

IMO the reason DT gets rightfully criticized for the click is because they lost a key live member, moved to the click, and their show as a result slid too far to the Haken end of that spectrum.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3017 on: November 07, 2023, 09:47:35 AM »

I'm generally against a click, but it's all about how you react to it.

On one end of the spectrum is a band I love dearly, Haken, but are a perfect example of how not to use a click track. They present amazing music live, and it sounds great, but visually it can too often look like, Ross aside, they've gone from practicing at home to the click to practicing at their one spot on stage to the click. On the other end you have something like Ayreon that needs a click for a lot of reasons, but everyone is so engaging (speaking just of the band, not necessarily all the singers) you don't notice or care.

IMO the reason DT gets rightfully criticized for the click is because they lost a key live member, moved to the click, and their show as a result slid too far to the Haken end of that spectrum.

+1 to all of this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3018 on: November 13, 2023, 01:10:06 PM »
Anyone have an idea when preorders for this might show up on LaserCD? Hoping to save on shipping by ordering from them, but seeing some versions sell out makes me not want to wait too long and possibly miss out

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3019 on: November 13, 2023, 01:25:07 PM »
Anyone have an idea when preorders for this might show up on LaserCD? Hoping to save on shipping by ordering from them, but seeing some versions sell out makes me not want to wait too long and possibly miss out

At this rate, I'm not sure they'll even carry it. I've looked and looked but it's been over a week and no sign of C/C Live on there. The deluxe CD/BD set is sold out on Burning Shed so I'm glad I got my order in on day one because if no NA distributors carry it, it'll probably be overpriced on the secondary market for a long time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3020 on: November 13, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »
Really weird how I'm only seeing the sets on Burning Shed and PT's site. It was the same with Steven Wilson's new release.

Do they not want more people to buy this?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3021 on: November 13, 2023, 01:34:49 PM »
Really weird how I'm only seeing the sets on Burning Shed and PT's site. It was the same with Steven Wilson's new release.

Do they not want more people to buy this?

Exclusivity clauses, perhaps? Are they self-published and released on smaller labels? Or maybe it's an artificial scarcity tactic to drive up sales by selling them in limited numbers? If they sell out and there's demand for more, maybe more will be printed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3022 on: November 13, 2023, 01:39:25 PM »
I don't think I've chimed in here before, so here goes. Just wanted to share my love for this incredible band. Fear of a Blank Planet and Lightbulb Sun are hands down my favorite albums – I can never get enough of them. That said I enjoy almost all their stuff (On the Sunday of Life is a bit too out there though).

Caught them on their last tour, and wow, what an experience! The energy, the great setlist, the nostalgia – mind-blowing. So, when I heard they're dropping a live album from that tour, needless to say, I'm psyched! Can't wait to relive those epic moments.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3023 on: November 13, 2023, 01:39:55 PM »
Not sure about exclusivity, I mean some of the sets for Harmony Codex are still listed as sold out/out of stock and don't seem to be anywhere else. I think it was at some book signing that SW signed one of the sets for Codex and told the guy, good that you grabbed one of these as that is it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3024 on: November 20, 2023, 08:55:42 PM »
Ken over at Laser updated on this. He said it is direct to consumer and the best he will be able to do is hopefully get the BD/DVD set by release day. Everything else is exclusive to either Burning Shed or PT's store. I want the CD/BD set but that is pricey and already sold out at Burning Shed.

Odd sales strategy here.

Yeah, $95 with shipping for the CD/BD set from PT. Don't think so.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online faizoff

« Reply #3025 on: November 20, 2023, 08:59:42 PM »
Truly weird decision. I'm guessing they get to keep more of the margins this way? Not sure why it's limited to the blu-ray sets.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3026 on: November 21, 2023, 01:15:52 AM »
$160AU for the BR/CD set, a little on the steep side for me.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #3027 on: December 01, 2023, 10:53:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxDED9oB0Rc

Fear of a Blank Planet live.

I criticised the Harridan live video for the crap edit, they had acted like there were 3 people on that stage with really weird angles. The edit on this track seems a lot better than the Harridan video. Amazing performance as always.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3028 on: December 08, 2023, 01:05:03 PM »
Do I see this right? You can't get audio only cds but you can stream it on spotify for free?

Dear Steven, if you don't want my money, just say so.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3029 on: December 08, 2023, 01:12:49 PM »
i'm listening to it, it sounds great
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3030 on: December 08, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
I didn't even realize that there are no CD only options. There must be some metrics into how they decide what combos to make available. The availability of some of these combos being restricted to only one or two sites are head scratching.

My boxset just landed in NY probably getting it sometime next week.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3031 on: December 08, 2023, 01:31:43 PM »
Tell me about it. I simply forgot about it. I would have made a run at the big set but with the shipping it's just a non-starter. They lost a sale, unless something changes.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #3032 on: December 08, 2023, 04:56:24 PM »
Absolutely perverse. This is one of those occasions where you think, ‘f*** it. F*** Wilson’. It’s not like you could ever own all of his stuff, and it’s not like there aren’t a lot of other things to spend yer money on at this time of year. This would have been an automatic purchase, but fg5* it, I’ll spend the money on a Zappa box.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3033 on: December 08, 2023, 05:00:07 PM »
Eh, it was probably a wise decision.  Releasing a physical copy for the 19 people left in the world who will still buy a live CD is probably not cost effective.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: December 08, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »
Eh, it was probably a wise decision.  Releasing a physical copy for the 19 people left in the world who will still buy a live CD is probably not cost effective.

I agree, I think selling a vinyl (haven't checked if they are selling one) makes a lot more sense.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3035 on: December 08, 2023, 05:58:24 PM »
It sucks, but ultimately it is consumer behaviour that causes this. CD sales aren't good in most areas of the world, which is why regular releases are disappearing. Same goes for videogames and films, some major releases don't get a physical version anymore. If it was making them tons of money, any company would still release it that way.

That said, vinyls absolutely sell (though I wonder at what point there is market saturation) but also seems exclusive to their store.

Live album is great btw!

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #3036 on: December 09, 2023, 03:10:32 AM »

Well, they did release cd copies, albeit part of a set that became unavailable weeks before its release date. That speaks of plenty of demand to me

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3037 on: December 09, 2023, 03:37:57 AM »

Well, they did release cd copies, albeit part of a set that became unavailable weeks before its release date. That speaks of plenty of demand to me

As far as I am aware that set can still be ordered though?

I do think it sucks for CD collectors. And offcourse the set should have gotten some form of international release, as shipping these days is just ridiculously expensive (even moreso from the UK since Brexit went into effect).

I also think CDs should be added to vinyl releases. That used to be somewhat common for a brief period of time (2010-2015 I'd say).

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #3038 on: December 09, 2023, 03:55:34 AM »

As far as I am aware that set can still be ordered though?

I do think it sucks for CD collectors. And offcourse the set should have gotten some form of international release, as shipping these days is just ridiculously expensive (even moreso from the UK since Brexit went into effect).

I also think CDs should be added to vinyl releases. That used to be somewhat common for a brief period of time (2010-2015 I'd say).

Unavailable in Burning Shed, the go-to for PT stuff.
If anyone has links to other places with copies available, I’d be grateful!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3039 on: December 09, 2023, 04:44:11 AM »
The official website has a blue ray/cd bundle for 58 euros. And if that is not expensive enough, shipping to Germany would be another 29 euros. So no, not gonna spend that amount of money where I would view the blue ray maybe once.

It's just strange that someone like SW, who condems streaming in every second sentence, doesn't offer a viable alternative.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3040 on: December 09, 2023, 04:54:36 AM »
The official website has a blue ray/cd bundle for 58 euros. And if that is not expensive enough, shipping to Germany would be another 29 euros. So no, not gonna spend that amount of money where I would view the blue ray maybe once.

It's just strange that someone like SW, who condems streaming in every second sentence, doesn't offer a viable alternative.

I stopped ordering from Burning Shed a while ago because even though you get quality, it is really expensive and with shipping it gets even crazier. It shouldn't be cheaper to order from half across the world compared to within Europe but sadly it is sometimes. As much as I'm a fan of SW (and his projects) I kinda had to take a step back as a collector and just get the essentials and don't pressure myself to own everything. He just releases too much and also puts out a box set for everything these days. If SW is your own musical god and you want everything - that's great. If you also have a jungle of other bands you love as much (or more) then it gets increasingly expensive to be a fan these days.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3041 on: December 10, 2023, 10:11:58 AM »
I think it’s appropriate they call themselves Burning Shed because ordering from them is like lighting your money on fire.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3042 on: December 10, 2023, 05:10:30 PM »
This is honestly the case for almost all UK stores except for amazon. Pre-Brexit I ordered from the UK a lot, these days only Amazon is still affordable.

But while the UK is typically the worst, shipping these days has become extremely expensive. I think the stores that were cheaper had or have contracts with a set rate for a certain period of time. More and more companies are getting expensive. I have three examples of similar shipping costs in EU countries: CD Projekt merch from Poland, Square Enix store from France, and Larian in Belgium (?). All 20 euros or higher to the Netherlands. UK unfortunately has VAT on top of it due to Brexit (which is 21% where I live).

(all of this from EU perspective offcourse).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: December 10, 2023, 11:54:04 PM »
Can confirm Burning Shed's shipping is horribly expensive even if you live IN the UK.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3044 on: December 11, 2023, 02:52:39 AM »
IMO BS prices are very reasonable and for living in AU, I don't pay any VAT at all, so prices are less 20%.
Shipping is okay, I have no idea if it's really that expensive.
An example is THC deluxe boxset from BS shipping 21.50UKP, the PT CD/BR deluxe is 31.50UKP from official PT store.