Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226605 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2800 on: August 23, 2022, 06:15:33 PM »
My opinion is similar to what it was a month or so ago in that I am a big fan of C/C, but I doubt it will break my PT top 5.  That says more about how highly I think of most of their studio albums than it does about any alleged flaws about the new record, which is pretty fantastic overall.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2801 on: August 23, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
My opinion is similar to what it was a month or so ago in that I am a big fan of C/C, but I doubt it will break my PT top 5.  That says more about how highly I think of most of their studio albums than it does about any alleged flaws about the new record, which is pretty fantastic overall.

I think I feel the same way. My Top 5 PT albums have been TSMS, SD, IA, DW, and FOABP, in some varying orders. I really like C/C so far, but I'm not sure it'll top either of those, but it comes VERY close. Maybe it might become 5b and tie with fifth place. On the upside, it's been in my car CD player for about 2 or 3 weeks straight!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2802 on: August 23, 2022, 06:25:01 PM »
I would put the new album below the IA -> FoaBP run, but comfortably above The Incident, and it may beat out Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream for me as well.

I rank it nearly the same as you but just below The Incident. I think the new one is more consistently better, but I enjoyed some higher highs with The Incident. This could just be the difference between where my tastes are now than back in 2009.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2803 on: August 23, 2022, 07:09:24 PM »

Same here. Gave it a listen today after taking a break from it for a couple weeks. My opinion hasn’t changed. It just a solid record all around but my top 5 remains the same.

My top 5 is:

1. FOABP
2. In Absentia
3. Lightbulb Sun
4. Deadwing
5. Signify

C/C sits comfortably at #6 and I don’t see that changing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2804 on: August 24, 2022, 08:18:46 AM »
My worthless .02:

I enjoy C/C and it is better than The Incident, for which I am thankful. But I prefer the IA>FOABP run more.

Really looking forward to the show next month. I have seen PT once, on The Incident tour in San Francisco. If I remember right, it was a show in SF, then LA, as warm ups, and then it was off across the Pacific for them. Karnivool was opening. What a bill.

I had tickets to see both the tours prior, but was sick both times.  ::) So annoyed I missed those gigs, but glad I got to see them in 2012. And now, 10 years later.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2805 on: August 24, 2022, 10:48:13 AM »
It's a pretty good album to me, yet I'd put it in the mid of their discography. That's just how crazy good their other albums are.

Online HOF

« Reply #2806 on: August 24, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
I should probably give this a listen at some point just to see what I think of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2807 on: September 10, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »
Tour finally starts tonight.  :metal :metal

Can't wait to see the set list to see what they are playing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2808 on: September 10, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »
Seeing them Wednesday Kev!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2809 on: September 10, 2022, 05:50:26 PM »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2810 on: September 10, 2022, 05:56:30 PM »
Tour finally starts tonight.  :metal :metal

Can't wait to see the set list to see what they are playing.

My predictions - The set will be heavy on In Absentia, Deadwing, FOABP, and C/C of course, and they'll throw in two pre-IA songs. My guesses will be "Even Less" and "Dislocated Day".

I'm curious as to how much of C/C will be played, and if they'll include any of the three bonus tracks in the set as well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2811 on: September 10, 2022, 05:58:50 PM »
They did say that SW and Richard will do an older PT song on stage with just the two of them (I think both on keys). I could see that being How Is Your Life Today?

A lot of IA, Fear (era) and the new album is a given, and while I don't think they will hit Deadwing as hard, I won't be surprised to see a few tunes (Lazarus, Open Car, Halo being the most obvious guesses).  I suspect they will ignore The Incident altogether.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2812 on: September 10, 2022, 06:03:20 PM »
They did say that SW and Richard will do an older PT song on stage with just the two of them (I think both on keys). I could see that being How Is Your Life Today?

A lot of IA, Fear (era) and the new album is a given, and while I don't think they will hit Deadwing as hard, I won't be surprised to see a few tunes (Lazarus, Open Car, Halo being the most obvious guesses).  I suspect they will ignore The Incident altogether.

If they do ANYTHING from The Incident album, it'll probably be from the second disc and not anything from the song cycle itself. "How Is Your Life Today?" would be a nice one! As a fan of Deadwing, I'm hoping they'll play a couple songs from it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they largely ignored it considering how heavy it was featured in many of the band's latter live albums and tours before 2011.

-Marc.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2813 on: September 10, 2022, 06:33:25 PM »
No setlist spoilers!

Seeing them on Wednesday, can't wait.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: September 10, 2022, 06:35:08 PM »
They’re playing DC next Sunday. Debating on going. I missed them last time they came to town, right before the hiatus. The Anthem is a beautiful venue, I saw King Crimson there a year ago tomorrow.
But DC traffic  :mehlin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2815 on: September 10, 2022, 06:42:00 PM »
No setlist spoilers!

Me too!  Can't wait to check out the new theater!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2816 on: September 10, 2022, 07:24:34 PM »
No setlist spoilers!

Me too!  Can't wait to check out the new theater!!

Since this randomly happened to me and TAC the last Dream Theater show, you wouldn't happen to be right next to Section 203 Row 6 would you? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: September 10, 2022, 07:45:34 PM »
 :lol

Mezzle row B seats 5 & 6.

Going out to dinner with an old DTF friend Rumborak.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2818 on: September 10, 2022, 09:12:10 PM »
I won't list the set list or any spoilers, but if what is on setlist.fm is correct, I need to plan a road trip ASAP. :lol :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2819 on: September 10, 2022, 09:18:15 PM »
Assuming the show is done and the set is accurate, that set list is NUTS!

I seriously considered going to the DC show just now but after doing the mental math for the trip, I'd be dropped over $250 and that's if I get nosebleed seat.  :'(

-Marc.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: September 10, 2022, 09:34:45 PM »
Oh my god that setlist. :eek

Yeah a DC trip just isn’t in the cards for me either this time. But here’s hoping they release a Blu-Ray from the tour.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: September 10, 2022, 09:36:50 PM »
Wednesday brothers. My nipples are rock hard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2822 on: September 10, 2022, 09:38:17 PM »
Just knowing John Wesley won't be there to ruin songs with his awful solos just makes them that much harder.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2823 on: September 10, 2022, 10:12:24 PM »
:lol

Mezzle row B seats 5 & 6.

Going out to dinner with an old DTF friend Rumborak.

He better be in Rumborka mode by the time you guys get to the venue.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2824 on: September 11, 2022, 03:31:19 AM »
Setlist looks good but I can't call it great because I think a few albums just lack representation to make it really pop.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2825 on: September 11, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
Setlist looks good but I can't call it great because I think a few albums just lack representation to make it really pop.
Considering this could be the last PT tour ever, would have been nice to have a more diverse setlist. Maybe pull out some more stuff they never played live.

I also don't know why Steve feels the need to play Halo on every tour. That song is just so.....meh...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #2826 on: September 11, 2022, 06:43:11 PM »
Do yourself a favor and don't read the set list if you can/if you haven't. So many good surprises last night in TO. Incredible show.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2827 on: September 12, 2022, 02:13:55 PM »
Very nice setlist indeed.  I may need to drive up to LA and see them.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: September 12, 2022, 03:05:58 PM »
Just knowing John Wesley won't be there to ruin songs with his awful solos just makes them that much harder.

This will make the show that much better!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: September 12, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
I took a peek at the setlist. It looks great. I could do with a couple more songs from Deadwing, but no real complaints here. Looks like an amazing night of music. Looking forward to San Francisco!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2830 on: September 14, 2022, 11:38:22 PM »
According to my Facebook memories, I came home from Best Buy with Muse's The Resistance and Porcupine Tree's The Incident on this day 13 years ago. Both albums released on September 14th.

Happy 13th Birthday to TI - I am giving it a spin before bed tonight. How has everyone's thoughts on the album changed over the last 13 years, especially now that the band have returned. Do you like it more, or less? Or perhaps you haven't even heard it since 2009?

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2831 on: September 15, 2022, 06:30:03 AM »
The Incident is still pretty great, to my ears. I love the sound and vibe of it, and some of my favorite PT songs ever are from this record, most notably I Drive the Hearse and Bonnie the Cat.  Despite the obvious nods to Floyd, Time Flies is also damn good, and I am really high on Flicker and The Incident (track 6) as well.  Really, the only songs on the album I am not really high on are the interlude tracks in the suite like Occam's Razor and Degree Zero of Liberty, and Remember Me Lover (solid, but not that memorable).

Offline krands85

« Reply #2832 on: September 15, 2022, 07:30:09 AM »
I had a PT binge a few weeks ago, which was the first time I'd listened to The Incident in years. I was pretty disappointed with it when it came out and felt it was a big step down from most of what came before it. But listening again, I enjoyed it more than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise. Though it's still a fair way down my rankings. Speaking of which...

Fear of a Blank Planet
In Absentia

Deadwing
Closure/Continuation
Stupid Dream

Signify
The Incident
Lightbulb Sun
The Sky Moves Sideways

Something like that. I haven't listened to the first 2 albums again yet, but I rarely played them in the past either.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2833 on: October 21, 2022, 09:33:14 AM »
If you haven't started collecting PT's albums yet, take a look at this MASSIVE 13-disc boxset featuring pretty much everything they recorded during their Delirium Years.

Unfortunately I already own most of this material on disc, and the only thing that entices me is having the 40-minute unedited "Moonloop" on disc. Otherwise, I've got pretty much all of it already. If I didn't, it would totally be worth the $107 price tag.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:23:41 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: October 21, 2022, 10:05:57 AM »
If you haven't started collecting PT's albums yet, take a look at MASSIVE 13-disc boxset featuring pretty much everything they recorded during their Delirium Years

Unfortunately I already own most of this material on disc, and the only thing that entices me is having the 40-minute unedited "Moonloop" on disc. Otherwise, I've got pretty much all of it already. If I didn't, it would totally be worth the $107 price tag.

-Marc.

WOW. That's a great deal for someone starting their PT collection. I'm not a huge fan of that era of the band, but for those who are, who want the physical stuff from that era, that is perfect. And a steal at that price point if you don't have any of it.