Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 224945 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2730 on: July 03, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »
So, as not to keep up too much PT talk in the Maiden thread, I am bringing it here.  With the PT countdown likely to be the next one, getting a master song list together will be the challenge.  The new album will not be included, and I will leave off all of the super short transitional tracks (those likely wouldn't get hardly any votes anyway and it will make the spreadsheet a little less clogged on my end), and then there is the matter of The Sky Moves Sideways.  Since the original album had them listed as two tracks, I think including them as two separate songs is the way to go, and likewise with Waiting, and then The Incident song cycle will see all of the tracks listed individually as well (with the short ones on that removed as well).  That is what I am thinking so far, but starting that is still a few weeks away, so we have time.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2731 on: July 03, 2022, 08:34:45 PM »
I'm in (again!).
Agreed, especially about The Incident tracks, because... well, I would like to rank them separately. I know it's one big song, but it does sound more like an conceptual album (only the first CD, of course) or at least 4 songs songs placed in sequence (Occam's Razor to The Yellow Windows...; Time Flies; Degree Zero of Liberty to Circle of Manias; and I Drive the Hearse).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2732 on: July 03, 2022, 09:53:04 PM »
Good. The Incident is even less of a single song than Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is.

:neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2733 on: July 03, 2022, 10:00:06 PM »
I'm pretty certain SW prefaced that the bulk of The Incident, the conceptual disc, was a song cycle and not a singular song. It can be a piece of music, but shouldn't be thought of as one song, per se.

There are parts that definitely sound like they were all written together or had other parts in mind, but you could also pluck most of those parts out and perform them as a stand-alone song in a set and not feel like you're missing much (which you probably couldn't say for most of the parts in, say, Transatlantic's The Whirlwind, also released in 2009).

It'll be interesting to see if any songs from TI get played on the upcoming tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2734 on: July 03, 2022, 10:21:16 PM »
I have The Incident / Your Unpleasant Family and Octane Twisted / The Seance / Circle Of Manias grouped together as single tracks for my library.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2735 on: July 04, 2022, 02:08:51 AM »
That climax at the end of Dignity is pretty special, and is a great example of Richard Barbieri coming up with just the right tone and notes to make it sound awesome despite it not being some technical wonderland.

For sure! That tone reminded me of his lead at the end of 'Even Less'. Those fat-sounding distorted, slow-moving textural notes are really a defining PT trait and Dignity's ending literally made the hair on my arms stand up on first listen.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2736 on: July 04, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »
So, as not to keep up too much PT talk in the Maiden thread, I am bringing it here.  With the PT countdown likely to be the next one, getting a master song list together will be the challenge.  The new album will not be included, and I will leave off all of the super short transitional tracks (those likely wouldn't get hardly any votes anyway and it will make the spreadsheet a little less clogged on my end), and then there is the matter of The Sky Moves Sideways.  Since the original album had them listed as two tracks, I think including them as two separate songs is the way to go, and likewise with Waiting, and then The Incident song cycle will see all of the tracks listed individually as well (with the short ones on that removed as well).  That is what I am thinking so far, but starting that is still a few weeks away, so we have time.

I can help you out a little; he has so much stuff on EPs / B-Sides etc. and while a lot of it probably wouldn't get a lot of votes, some of that stuff is actually really, really good.

There's some difficulties, with indeed The Sky Moves Sideways having multiple versions. What about live versions of songs (for example Coma Divine has a version of Moonloop that's not the same as any studio version, as well as Is..NOT, which is part of TSMS Part 2 - and there's other examples on other live releases :lol ) Are you adding stuff like Nil Recurring, Metanoia, Staircase Infinities, Insignificance, Recordings etc.? What do 'we' do with Voyage 34?

Sorry to make this difficult immediately. I could help out a little, I have all of those I just mentioned, but I don't think my PT collection is complete.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2737 on: July 04, 2022, 01:30:47 PM »
If "Sky moves sideways" and "Hand cannot erase" are my favourite SW releases by far, should I invest time in the new PT album?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2738 on: July 04, 2022, 02:51:43 PM »
If "Sky moves sideways" and "Hand cannot erase" are my favourite SW releases by far, should I invest time in the new PT album?

It’s less than 50 minutes, my dude. :lol

Steven Wilson hasn’t really sounded like TSMS since Signify though so I wouldn’t say it’s very comparable to that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2739 on: July 04, 2022, 03:17:10 PM »

You say that as if one only listens to an album once before passing judgement on it, deciding whether or not it was worth their time.

I'm not sure how often people only listen to albums once and do that, especially an album by PT/SW.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2740 on: July 04, 2022, 03:24:49 PM »

You say that as if one only listens to an album once before passing judgement on it, deciding whether or not it was worth their time.

I'm not sure how often people only listen to albums once and do that, especially an album by PT/SW.

-Marc.

Yes, but one would think after listening to an album once you would be able to answer the question yourself of whether to give it more time or not.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2741 on: July 04, 2022, 03:33:08 PM »
I sometimes need several spins with complex albums before I know how I feel about them. Sometimes my initial impression is from from what I end up thinking after 10 spins.

That said, I indeed wanted to stir up some controversy and get unusual opinions on this album and PT in general. I tried to get into this band several times over the years and the two aformentioned albums are the only ones that got under my skin.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2742 on: July 04, 2022, 04:37:12 PM »
I preordered the deluxe edition from Amazon months ago and I'm still waiting for that thing to ship.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2743 on: July 04, 2022, 04:52:11 PM »
I emailed LaserCD about the delivery of C/C and this is the response I got (less than 5 minutes after sending):

Sony is still waiting for inventory. They moved street date here to 8/12.
They really screwed up this release

Guess I'll be waiting another 5-6 weeks for my physical copy.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:14:38 PM by The Letter M »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2744 on: July 04, 2022, 06:08:39 PM »
I wonder if Sony underestimated the demand for C/C?
But surely with pre-orders they had enough of each version pressed to satisfy the demand?
Either way I am glad I went local and got my deluxe CD/BR in person.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2745 on: July 04, 2022, 08:21:59 PM »
I emailed LaserCD about the delivery of C/C and this is the response I got (less than 5 minutes after sending):

-Marc.

Oh dang, thanks for the heads up. I guess I can wait, I mean I originally did order from burning shed but that would have added like $35 for just shipping. so I guess I can wait for now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2746 on: July 04, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »

-Marc.

Oh dang, thanks for the heads up. I guess I can wait, I mean I originally did order from burning shed but that would have added like $35 for just shipping. so I guess I can wait for now.

Good to know and glad I grabbed that $6.99 digital deluxe deal from Townsend. I thought about emailing Ken but figured it will get here eventually.

I have one listen in and the biggest thing I noticed is SW's voice has dropped quite a bit. Nowhere as high as it used to be.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2747 on: July 05, 2022, 02:16:48 AM »
Trying to spin the album a bit and sounds good. It has the same issue as always for me with PT, which is basically that the material sounds sameish and there's a certain fatigue that quickly becomes apparent. Not sure if it's the production or just Steven Wilson pretty narrow singing range that somehow makes the songs flow together. It's of course also that the material requires a bit of listening, so I expect that to open up a bit over time.

FOTBP was unusual in that it actually had more "vibrancy" and each song stood out quickly for me. I guess I wish they would experiment a bit more with Steven's voice like they do on Harridan and make the keyboard sounds a bit more vibrant. The keyboard sounds are kind of back there behind the other stuff and usually gets a bit blurry for me. And a song like Never Have I feel that the piano sound lacks something. Maybe it's dynamic range or maybe it's just the lack of timbre, not sure.

With that said there's already some great moments here that does stand out. The album sounds consistent with no apparently bad moments. Harridan is easily the best starting track of their albums with it's stand out groove and Herd Culling sounds like PT making a PT influenced song, in a good way 🤔

The rest sounds cool but my brain still can't separate them from each other at this point.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 02:24:48 AM by Pettor »

Offline Kram

« Reply #2748 on: July 05, 2022, 01:33:00 PM »
I'll answer you.  YES

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2749 on: July 06, 2022, 08:15:46 AM »
I'm enjoying the fuck out of this album even when I know it's not their best material and there is a lot of recycled riffs or odes to other songs. I'm surprised to see all the positive reactions towards Dignity. That is the only track I don't like and can barely listen to it.

Favorites so far are Never Have, Love in the Past Tense, Rats Return, Harridan and Of The New Day.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2751 on: July 09, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
I'm enjoying the fuck out of this album even when I know it's not their best material and there is a lot of recycled riffs or odes to other songs. I'm surprised to see all the positive reactions towards Dignity. That is the only track I don't like and can barely listen to it.

Favorites so far are Never Have, Love in the Past Tense, Rats Return, Harridan and Of The New Day.

I’m going to go a step further and make a presumably controversial statement: this new album is, at least to me, their best work.

Now, don’t worry, I’ll show my work.

I am by no means a Steven Wilson acolyte — I’ve checked out every SW-adjacent release over the years, and some of it blows my mind (like the Raven title track), and some of it kinda goes over my head or simply makes me shrug (like most of Grace For Drowning).

Like many, I prefer the ‘metal’ years for PT, and hold In Absentia in particularly high esteem. That said, thus far, the band (or, more specifically, Wilson) has yet to produce what I consider a flawless, ‘love every single second’ album. That is, until now.

C/C is the perfect combination of familiar and foreign, and when taking into account the 3 bonus tracks, it is easily my favorite release of the year. I realize this may be the band’s last hurrah, but after a dozen or so listens, I certainly hope not. After all this time, I’m pretty impressed that Wilson has released something that has so captured my interest. Hats off indeed.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2752 on: July 09, 2022, 02:46:00 PM »

I’m going to go a step further and make a presumably controversial statement: this new album is, at least to me, their best work.

Now, don’t worry, I’ll show my work.

I am by no means a Steven Wilson acolyte — I’ve checked out every SW-adjacent release over the years, and some of it blows my mind (like the Raven title track), and some of it kinda goes over my head or simply makes me shrug (like most of Grace For Drowning).

Like many, I prefer the ‘metal’ years for PT, and hold In Absentia in particularly high esteem. That said, thus far, the band (or, more specifically, Wilson) has yet to produce what I consider a flawless, ‘love every single second’ album. That is, until now.

C/C is the perfect combination of familiar and foreign, and when taking into account the 3 bonus tracks, it is easily my favorite release of the year. I realize this may be the band’s last hurrah, but after a dozen or so listens, I certainly hope not. After all this time, I’m pretty impressed that Wilson has released something that has so captured my interest. Hats off indeed.
I'm not prepared to say it's theirs, or his best work - but it is an excellent excellent album IMO, and certainly in the running for my AOTY.  Bravo to all 3 of them for this outstanding release!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2753 on: July 09, 2022, 03:08:56 PM »
I don't think it's their best one but it feels like a nice summary of 30 years of music from them (and SW solo) and it also adds some new colors to the mix as well. For me it's a significant step up from The Incident (which I don't hate but I rate it as their second weakest studio album) and it feels like it adds something to their discography.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2754 on: July 10, 2022, 07:50:04 PM »

To follow up on this one, I will likely start the thread in a week or so, with the submission period lasting a few weeks.

I will get with Puppies_On_Acid to lock down the master song list.  :coolio :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2755 on: July 10, 2022, 09:01:48 PM »
On my way home earlier, during a very orange sunset, I had my CD-r of Deadwing on in my car and it was on the last track, "Half-Light", and I haven't heard it in awhile and my God I forgot how gorgeous this song is. The sunset really helped set the mood for it as well, and it was a great feeling. What a lovely song and probably one of my favorite non-album PT songs!

-Marc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2756 on: July 10, 2022, 09:14:27 PM »

To follow up on this one, I will likely start the thread in a week or so, with the submission period lasting a few weeks.

I will get with Puppies_On_Acid to lock down the master song list.  :coolio :coolio
Ah, yes. Let me tweak my list I started and I will send it over to you and then we can fine tune it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2757 on: July 10, 2022, 09:16:01 PM »
On my way home earlier, during a very orange sunset, I had my CD-r of Deadwing on in my car and it was on the last track, "Half-Light", and I haven't heard it in awhile and my God I forgot how gorgeous this song is. The sunset really helped set the mood for it as well, and it was a great feeling. What a lovely song and probably one of my favorite non-album PT songs!

-Marc.

That version on Anesthetize is one of my favorite things they've done. Absolutely beautiful.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2758 on: July 13, 2022, 03:46:07 PM »
Some songs on this album are among their best work. Maybe not quite as strong from beginning to end as Deadwing but the highs are very high. Gavin is in a class with the elites. Simply amazing performance.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2759 on: July 18, 2022, 11:01:30 AM »
Listened to the very first PT album today after a very long gap probably 15 years or so. It was surprisingly a lot better than I remembered. I was reading the liner notes on discogs.com and SW mentioned that this album really was meant as a collection of ideas of what the band's direction could go in. There are some interesting tracks in there that probably made some of the basis for some tracks in the next 3 albums. I hear some styles of Signify in there and maybe even some Lightbulb sun. Overall it's not as bad as I originally thought. There are two or three tracks are kinda jokey almost but underneath them it has some solid foundation. Radioactive toy is my most listened to track of this album, though the last track has some Sky moves sideways vibes.

I might give this album another listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2760 on: July 18, 2022, 11:11:56 AM »
I can never be too harsh on OTSOL because considering how it was created and in the time it was made, it's almost a miracle that it came out as decent as it did. For me the 2 biggest issues are somewhat easily fixable - the first is the length and I think you could honestly trim close to 30 minutes from this and get rid of the obvious filler stuff and just have the best stuff left. Secondly the helium vocals where if you just change the pitch to a more natural state, or try a different approach (like blending the vocals into the music more) I think you get rid of that instant "Oh dear lord what is this?" reaction when you listen to Jupiter Island or Linton Samuel Dawson for example.

But I won't go to great lengths to defend it or something - it's still the weakest PT album. But I don't think it's complete garbage like some others might do. Nostalgia Factory, Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats in particular stand out. Maybe it's the musician in me who sees something in this, I do stuff by myself like SW did on this album but it was a lot harder to pull off almost 35 years ago compared to today.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2761 on: July 18, 2022, 11:19:09 AM »
I feel like I’m almost forced to include it as part of their discography when in actuality, it doesn’t feel like it should be. None of this was actually written for an album. It’s more like a collection of demos that were previously done already and being re-packaged into an album.

I put Sunday in the same pile as Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape in my mind, and then UTD as the first proper album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2762 on: July 18, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
I feel like I’m almost forced to include it as part of their discography when in actuality, it doesn’t feel like it should be. None of this was actually written for an album. It’s more like a collection of demos that were previously done already and being re-packaged into an album.

I put Sunday in the same pile as Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape in my mind, and then UTD as the first proper album.

Pretty much what I've been doing, treating Up the Downstairs as the first real album.

Sunday pretty much is a collection of the two cassette tapes that were made along with Yellow Hedgerow around the same period. So honestly it all belongs in the same pile.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2763 on: July 18, 2022, 12:17:45 PM »
If we exclude OTSOL as a studio album then The Incident is their weakest for me. Still not a bad album but I guess that speaks to the overall consistency of their discography. I don't think they have a 5/5 album to me because even with the best ones I can find some weakness but I would say their discography has albums in the 3.5/5 to the 4.5/5 range and that's pretty great for a band with 11 (or 10) studio albums. :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2764 on: July 18, 2022, 12:22:43 PM »
Oh yeah, the band's just got a ridiculously consistent output, even their weakest records have some gems.