Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226687 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2520 on: June 23, 2022, 01:34:10 PM »
Really excited to listen to the record tomorrow. I received my notification that it has shipped from Amazon, so hopefully, it'll arrive early. If not, maybe I'll have an autorip available on Amazon.

I am hopeful for C/C. I really disliked The Incident, after really enjoying IA-Deadwing-FOABP. The snippets I've heard so far remind me of that era. Not that I expect SW to just go full-on retro, because I don't. But I am hoping that he realizes PT has a "sound" that must be present, and so far, from the brief snippets I have treated myself to, it's in the ballpark.

Looking forward to the tour. I saw PT do a one-off in San Francisco with Karnivool opening. It was an amazing night. I had never heard of Karnivool and excitedly asked the people in front of me at The Warfield who they were. Ran out the next day to buy Sound Awake and Themata and they have been a staple band for me ever since. And obviously, PT didn't disappoint. Hoping this show at the Masonic in San Fran is even better.

Fingers crossed for everything.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2521 on: June 23, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »
I received my notification that it has shipped from Amazon, so hopefully, it'll arrive early.

Was this for the single CD version?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: June 23, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »
I received my notification that it has shipped from Amazon, so hopefully, it'll arrive early.

Was this for the single CD version?

Yes. I wanted the 2 CD, but the price difference was huge. I don't care about having instrumental tracks, so I couldn't see spending like 30 more bucks for two or three extra songs.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2523 on: June 23, 2022, 02:18:26 PM »
It's not just an extra CD with 3 extra songs, it's a Blu-Ray with surround sound, high resolution mixes and a big art book to look at.
For me it's the complete experience and worth the extra $65AU more than the normal CD version.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2524 on: June 23, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
Yeah the high res Blu-ray audio is what I'm most drawn to. It's also got a Dolby Atmos mix though I don't have the proper equipment to appreciate that mix, the rest will be sweet to hear.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2525 on: June 23, 2022, 03:34:37 PM »
Based on the reviews, those three bonus songs should not have been bonus songs. It is one of the reasons I went for the vinyl slipcase, the only vinyl that has those.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2526 on: June 23, 2022, 03:39:08 PM »
Based on the reviews, those three bonus songs should not have been bonus songs. It is one of the reasons I went for the vinyl slipcase, the only vinyl that has those.

I hope the bonus songs are on the streaming version of the album. It would suck if they don't.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2527 on: June 23, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »

I hope the bonus songs are on the streaming version of the album. It would suck if they don't.
They're on the version I bought on iTunes. It had 10 songs for $9.99. Supposedly the album proper only has 7 songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: June 23, 2022, 03:58:48 PM »
re: the limited edition

Didn't mean to offend anyone who want that version. I just meant for ME, the big set isn't worth the extra money. But obviously, if it is for you, I hope you get it and it arrives quickly.

Kram - thanks. I'll check that out. I'd like all the songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2529 on: June 23, 2022, 06:37:09 PM »
Closure / Continuation is undeniably a Porcupine Tree album.

A couple listens in and I can definitely hear the through-line of PT's evolution from IA-DW-FOABP-TI up to C/C, but I also hear some of Steven's solo work in the writing as well. Nothing has really stood out for me quite yet except the opener "Harridan", which funnily enough opens with a driving baseline that reminds us that Colin isn't here. A bit bold to open the album with a bass riff played by SW, it's quite the statement.

Maybe I'll share more thoughts as I get to know these songs a bit more over the weekend but first impressions are very positive. If they don't do another album ever again, this is a better swan song for PT than The Incident was over 10 years ago.

If this an improvement over The Incident, this new one will be a major winner as the Incident was pretty damn good.  And I recall fan reaction to it was pretty positive overall, but of course once the band started saying years later that they didn't think it was that good, negative nancies came out of the woodwork. ;)  No, it's as great as many of their other records, but it is still really good.  Tons of very good/great songs on that one.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2530 on: June 23, 2022, 10:05:18 PM »
Closure / Continuation is undeniably a Porcupine Tree album.

A couple listens in and I can definitely hear the through-line of PT's evolution from IA-DW-FOABP-TI up to C/C, but I also hear some of Steven's solo work in the writing as well. Nothing has really stood out for me quite yet except the opener "Harridan", which funnily enough opens with a driving baseline that reminds us that Colin isn't here. A bit bold to open the album with a bass riff played by SW, it's quite the statement.

Maybe I'll share more thoughts as I get to know these songs a bit more over the weekend but first impressions are very positive. If they don't do another album ever again, this is a better swan song for PT than The Incident was over 10 years ago.

If this an improvement over The Incident, this new one will be a major winner as the Incident was pretty damn good.  And I recall fan reaction to it was pretty positive overall, but of course once the band started saying years later that they didn't think it was that good, negative nancies came out of the woodwork. ;)  No, it's as great as many of their other records, but it is still really good.  Tons of very good/great songs on that one.
Dunno if I would call myself a "negative nancy" but I know for me personally, TI never hit home like the previous 3 did. And I tried to like it, but after a few spins, I didn't try to force myself to like it. Will have to give it a spin - it's probably been at least a decade since I last heard any of it at all.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2531 on: June 23, 2022, 10:47:37 PM »
I’m with Scotty. I could tell from day one that, while it was still good, it didn’t pack the punch of the previous albums. (But for me, I’d take it back more than 3….more like 6 or 7)

Even Time Flies. I did enjoy it a lot. But it only took a couple of spins for me to think “this is a bit derivative…even for Steven.” He tends to walk the razor of merging  “homage to the greats” and “SW personal originality”.  But Time Flies felt very much less than original. There are still brilliant moments to be had. The title track is worth the price of admission alone and I Drive the Hearse belongs solidly on any top 20. But the rest just sounds like a lot of unfinished ideas without the umph behind it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: June 23, 2022, 10:52:17 PM »
But the rest just sounds like a lot of unfinished ideas without the umph behind it.

And that's more or less what it was, as Steven says in his book.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2533 on: June 24, 2022, 01:48:17 AM »
About to go for my first spin and I wouldn't say I have a negative mindset going in but I don't expect wonders from it. I think at best this will be a top25 album of the year for me but I'm already at 60 or 70 albums and I would say at least 50 of those have been pretty good. For PT to get involved with the AOTY contenders at this point they would almost need to put out one of their best albums, and I don't expect that. But I'm still curious to give this some listens. :)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2534 on: June 24, 2022, 02:45:58 AM »
Played the main album 4/5 times today, bloody brilliant, as good as anything they've done in the past.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2535 on: June 24, 2022, 02:46:50 AM »

They are (10 songs total if everything is included).

re: the limited edition

Didn't mean to offend anyone who want that version. I just meant for ME, the big set isn't worth the extra money. But obviously, if it is for you, I hope you get it and it arrives quickly.

Kram - thanks. I'll check that out. I'd like all the songs.

No worries, I don't think you offended anyone. It is a steep price difference and seems to be mainly based around the 5.1 mix.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2536 on: June 24, 2022, 02:54:10 AM »
Dignity is gorgeous!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2537 on: June 24, 2022, 02:59:41 AM »
Dignity is gorgeous!

Agreed. That guitar main lick could have been by Alex Lifeson in my opinion. Sounds a lot like him.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2538 on: June 24, 2022, 05:35:30 AM »
First impression of the new ablum is generally good. I'm going to need to listen to it many more times before forming a solid opinion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2539 on: June 24, 2022, 05:51:01 AM »

Dunno if I would call myself a "negative nancy" but I know for me personally, TI never hit home like the previous 3 did. And I tried to like it, but after a few spins, I didn't try to force myself to like it. Will have to give it a spin - it's probably been at least a decade since I last heard any of it at all.

Okay, but given how great In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear... all are, I think it is fair to say that an album can be not as great as those three and still be damn good. That is how I view The Incident.  Not every album has to be a home run.  Sometimes, you just hit a double or a triple.

I’m with Scotty. I could tell from day one that, while it was still good, it didn’t pack the punch of the previous albums. (But for me, I’d take it back more than 3….more like 6 or 7)

Even Time Flies. I did enjoy it a lot. But it only took a couple of spins for me to think “this is a bit derivative…even for Steven.” He tends to walk the razor of merging  “homage to the greats” and “SW personal originality”.  But Time Flies felt very much less than original. There are still brilliant moments to be had. The title track is worth the price of admission alone and I Drive the Hearse belongs solidly on any top 20. But the rest just sounds like a lot of unfinished ideas without the umph behind it.

Time Flies is an interesting one for me in that it is clearly derivative of Floyd, yet despite pretty much using the acoustic guitar lead from Dogs and the bass lead from Time leading into the middle section, it really doesn't sound like either of those songs.  I don't quite put the song on the top tier level from that record, as I think the best songs are the title track, I Drive the Hearse and Bonnie the Cat, but it would be in the next grouping. Flicker is also a favorite, although I would agree that hearing that one fleshed out a little more could have made it that much better.   I get it if some feel like ditties like Great Expectations and Kneel and Disconnect are unfinished ideas, but I like them as great little snapshots that come in bite sizes within the flow and context of the suite.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2540 on: June 24, 2022, 07:10:37 AM »
Enjoyed it on first spin, strong album  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2541 on: June 24, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »
Okay, I have to ask:  what is that subtitle, and what does it mean (bearing in mind I am not a Steven Wilson fan, and so know little if anything about Porcupine Tree). 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2542 on: June 24, 2022, 07:27:33 AM »
Okay, I have to ask:  what is that subtitle, and what does it mean (bearing in mind I am not a Steven Wilson fan, and so know little if anything about Porcupine Tree).

Subtitle? Of the thread? "Glarung Is A Lightnulb"?

I assume it's a play on the lyrics "The sun is a lightbulb" grom the Porcupine Tree song "Lightbulb Sun", the title track to their 6th studio album from 2000.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2543 on: June 24, 2022, 07:31:37 AM »

P/T? C/C?

It's the band and name of the album.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2544 on: June 24, 2022, 08:00:37 AM »

Subtitle? Of the thread? "Glarung Is A Lightnulb"?

I assume it's a play on the lyrics "The sun is a lightbulb" grom the Porcupine Tree song "Lightbulb Sun", the title track to their 6th studio album from 2000.

-Marc.

I've been wondering about this too. Yes, it's because of the song Lightbulb Sun, but what does Glarung mean? English is not my first language, so maybe I just don't get it...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: June 24, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »
Well, I'm a native English speaker and I've never got it, either :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2546 on: June 24, 2022, 08:06:18 AM »
Glarung was/is a former user here, IIRC. I like the album, consistently nice, precise, musical (like every Gavin Harrison era PT album), great production, what more could we want.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:18:44 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: June 24, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »
Glarung was/is a former user here, IIRC.

Could be onto something there although the username appears to be 'glaurung'.

Just finished my first listen. Bit underwhelmed but then I was never a big PT fan. Steven solo was much more interesting. Be interesting to see if it grows, though.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2548 on: June 24, 2022, 08:23:56 AM »
Well maybe it's time to change the thread name  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2549 on: June 24, 2022, 08:36:19 AM »
Yeah, looks like glaurung hasn't posted in four years. And maybe Nick just couldn't spell when he made the thread a decade ago?  :lol

But yes, now that there's an actual new album out today, the thread title should be updated.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: June 24, 2022, 08:51:54 AM »
The name stays
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2551 on: June 24, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2553 on: June 24, 2022, 09:07:46 AM »
 :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni