Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226716 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2450 on: June 09, 2022, 01:13:36 PM »
I really couldn't care less about the Colin situation, or how it's been handled.
He's not part of the band anymore, yes he is a great bass player, but the core of PT is on the album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2451 on: June 09, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »
About Colin's situation, I think there really was a fallout between him and Steve Wilson or the rest of the band. I think the official explanation isn't really a bad way to handle it, it's just them being classy, not exposing personal issues within the band to everyone.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 05:35:58 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2452 on: June 09, 2022, 05:22:48 PM »
I think it goes without saying that this reunion wouldn't have happen if not for the pandemic. Wait, check that, Wilson basically did say that. ;) :lol

I have it said it before and I will say it again: Edwin not being a part of this does take a bit of the sheen off the reunion, but I suspect that will all fade away if the album comes out and is really good or even great.
The fact that Edwin isn't apart of the reunion itself is not what bothers me. It's how they've handled the situation that doesn't sit right with me.

I think their PR out of it could certainly have been better, as it feels like it would have been better to address it directly rather than mostly ignore (Barbieri's comments in that one interview aside), but I agree with devieira73 in that there is probably more to it than is probably best left unsaid to the general public.

I really couldn't care less about the Colin situation, or how it's been handled.
He's not part of the band anymore, yes he is a great bass player, but the core of PT is on the album.

Not sure I agree.  Not to split hairs, but once PT mushroomed into a full time band, as opposed to just Wilson's pet project, the core was Wilson, Barbieri and Edwin.  They were the core and the three constants from 1993-2011.  As great as Gavin Harrison is, to me, he is the most replaceable of the four. We already know that PT can be consistently great with Edwin and without Harrison (see: The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, etc.).  It remains to be seen if PT can be consistently great without Edwin. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #2453 on: June 10, 2022, 02:40:18 PM »
I think it goes without saying that this reunion wouldn't have happen if not for the pandemic. Wait, check that, Wilson basically did say that. ;) :lol

I have it said it before and I will say it again: Edwin not being a part of this does take a bit of the sheen off the reunion, but I suspect that will all fade away if the album comes out and is really good or even great.
The fact that Edwin isn't apart of the reunion itself is not what bothers me. It's how they've handled the situation that doesn't sit right with me.

I think their PR out of it could certainly have been better, as it feels like it would have been better to address it directly rather than mostly ignore (Barbieri's comments in that one interview aside), but I agree with devieira73 in that there is probably more to it than is probably best left unsaid to the general public.
I agree with both of you, but all they had to say was we had some creative differences and decided it was best to part company at this time, or something like that.  That would be better than basically pretending he never existed - that's all I'm saying.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2454 on: June 10, 2022, 05:44:54 PM »

I agree with both of you, but all they had to say was we had some creative differences and decided it was best to part company at this time, or something like that.  That would be better than basically pretending he never existed - that's all I'm saying.

I think the issue is the long gap between the announcement of the reunion and the release of the actual album in two weeks.  With a lot of time in between the two, fans have to talk about something, but I am sure they are counting on most fans forgetting about it once the album is out and the tour begins, and honestly, they are probably right.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2455 on: June 10, 2022, 05:55:22 PM »
Only two weeks to go until the album is released.
https://youtu.be/fEfyq7l3pHs

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2456 on: June 11, 2022, 06:44:51 AM »

Not surprised that they chose In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet as the albums from the back catalogue to heavily feature on the upcoming tour.

Interesting that they did say that one song from one of those albums will be one they have never played before.  We know that all of Fear has been played, so it has to be one of the unplayed In Absentia songs like Collapse the Light into Earth or Lips of Ashes.  Not sure if Prodigal was ever played back in the day, but that would be awesome for them to bust that one out.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2457 on: June 11, 2022, 06:48:36 AM »

Not surprised that they chose In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet as the albums from the back catalogue to heavily feature on the upcoming tour.

Interesting that they did say that one song from one of those albums will be one they have never played before.  We know that all of Fear has been played, so it has to be one of the unplayed In Absentia songs like Collapse the Light into Earth or Lips of Ashes.  Not sure if Prodigal was ever played back in the day, but that would be awesome for them to bust that one out.

Prodigal is played on the Anesthetize live DVD/set so it's probably not that :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2458 on: June 11, 2022, 06:52:28 AM »

Prodigal is played on the Anesthetize live DVD/set so it's probably not that :P

:facepalm: :facepalm:  I totally forgot that (and I haven't watched any of the PT concerts in forever).

I think Collapse... is the likely choice, then.  Wilson played it as part of that Future Bites studio thing, so it felt like he had rediscovered it or something.

Offline pfillion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2460 on: June 15, 2022, 03:13:06 PM »
The three songs released thus far sound good to me, especially the latest two. I ordered the slipcase vinyl thing with the bonus tracks.

I would like to see them live, but I am still a bit hesitant to buying tickets for a show near the end of the year due to covid.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2461 on: June 15, 2022, 07:05:35 PM »
Yeah I heard em once, that's enough pre album, didn't want to OD on them.
I've got the Earbook and Japan Blu-spec CD2 on order, can't wait.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2462 on: June 15, 2022, 07:06:42 PM »
I plan on listening to Voyage 34 on an endless loop all week leading up to the release of the new record.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2463 on: June 16, 2022, 10:11:47 AM »
devieria posted this in the Steven Wilson thread, but this is a great and lengthy interview with him touching on many topics:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/steven-wilson-on-the-return-of-porcupine-tree/?fbclid=IwAR3NdjWKI5PwFrngquyD359fqud2anzLho0LWo4xgfGT9-ZPqRhWI7z0sNk&fs=e&s=cl

He does address Colin's absence as well.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2464 on: June 16, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks, I forgot to also post here.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2465 on: June 16, 2022, 11:01:13 AM »
I feel like blaming it on Colin is a bit of a cheap shot because with people drifting apart it's always a two way street. He might not have kept in touch but by the sound of it they didn't really either. Saying "he never wrote to ask about new music" is all fine but it doesn't really sound like SW made an effort to reach out and ask him how he's doing or anything either. People do drift apart and I know from personal experiences there's people you consider friends and next thing you know there's been years since you talked to them, it just happens.

Ultimately Colin not being on the album itself is not a big deal but it feels like the way they have talked about it has sort of blown it out of proportion. A simple reaching out to him and either he accepts or declines but if it's the latter you can at least say "We got in touch with him but he's in a different place now than back then and we couldn't make it work". Even if SW plays a lot for the album they would still need a bass player for the shows. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2466 on: June 16, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
I feel like blaming it on Colin is a bit of a cheap shot because with people drifting apart it's always a two way street. He might not have kept in touch but by the sound of it they didn't really either. Saying "he never wrote to ask about new music" is all fine but it doesn't really sound like SW made an effort to reach out and ask him how he's doing or anything either. People do drift apart and I know from personal experiences there's people you consider friends and next thing you know there's been years since you talked to them, it just happens.

Ultimately Colin not being on the album itself is not a big deal but it feels like the way they have talked about it has sort of blown it out of proportion. A simple reaching out to him and either he accepts or declines but if it's the latter you can at least say "We got in touch with him but he's in a different place now than back then and we couldn't make it work". Even if SW plays a lot for the album they would still need a bass player for the shows. :P

I would say that the fans and media are the ones blowing it out of proportion.  If they say "no comment" how will everybody react?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2467 on: June 16, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »

I would say that the fans and media are the ones blowing it out of proportion.  If they say "no comment" how will everybody react?

Yeah that's fair. No matter what it will be the elephant in the room, the fact they were 4 and now 3 of them are back together and the 4th one is just gone.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: June 16, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »
Yup yup! :lol

I am interested in seeing them with this new bassist and Randy McStine as the second guitarist.  I love his music and have followed him for a decade now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2469 on: June 16, 2022, 01:48:14 PM »
I plan on listening to Voyage 34 on an endless loop all week leading up to the release of the new record.
I love Voyage 34, but that seems excessive lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2470 on: June 16, 2022, 02:30:39 PM »

Especially if it's the COMPLETE Voyage with all four phases.  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2471 on: June 16, 2022, 02:35:13 PM »

Especially if it's the COMPLETE Voyage with all four phases.  :lol

-Marc.
That's the only version I listen to.  I hit it maybe once a year, maybe 18 months.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2472 on: June 16, 2022, 06:25:31 PM »

While that is true, I don't think it helped that they announced the comeback album and tour and talked about the band like Colin never existed as a part of it.   Had they gotten ahead of it and said right away what they are saying now, the questions wouldn't have persisted. Even in that posted interview today, Wilson talks about how he, Gavin and Richard were always the creative core of the band, which is a neat trick considering Harrison hasn't always been a part of the band.  Wilson is often brutally honest to a fault and a bit too direct with his words, but I think the "We will miss Colin, who was always a key part of the band, but this is who we are now" sentiment would have been a better way to go than "eh, he was never part of the creative core anyway."

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2473 on: June 17, 2022, 02:54:19 AM »
Last song to be released before the album drops in a week, Rats Return
https://youtu.be/_8yjtkTitsA

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2474 on: June 17, 2022, 06:30:02 AM »
and it's great IMHO, this damn well will be one of their best I'm sure
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

« Reply #2475 on: June 17, 2022, 06:30:38 AM »
Gavin sounds fantastic on that. What a cool groove.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2476 on: June 17, 2022, 07:15:35 AM »
Didn't listen to the last song and I'll skip this one as well so enough of the album is fresh to me when it's released.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2477 on: June 17, 2022, 08:08:53 AM »
Really liked the new song, maybe better than the other releases.  This album should be hella good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2478 on: June 17, 2022, 09:22:44 AM »

While that is true, I don't think it helped that they announced the comeback album and tour and talked about the band like Colin never existed as a part of it.   Had they gotten ahead of it and said right away what they are saying now, the questions wouldn't have persisted. Even in that posted interview today, Wilson talks about how he, Gavin and Richard were always the creative core of the band, which is a neat trick considering Harrison hasn't always been a part of the band.  Wilson is often brutally honest to a fault and a bit too direct with his words, but I think the "We will miss Colin, who was always a key part of the band, but this is who we are now" sentiment would have been a better way to go than "eh, he was never part of the creative core anyway."

I don't think anyone should be shocked at a response from Steven Wilson.  :lol  He's that type of person that says what's on his mind, even though maybe he shouldn't.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: June 17, 2022, 09:54:57 AM »
I only listened to Harridan once and that was on the day it was released, and haven't listened to a second of any of the other tracks. Really looking forward to the album given the positive comments here.

I've also got tickets to see them at Wembley Arena later this year although I've since split up with my gig-going partner in crime so not sure if I'll go or not. Be really weird seeing a Steven Wilson related show without her.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2480 on: June 17, 2022, 07:22:49 PM »

I don't think anyone should be shocked at a response from Steven Wilson.  :lol  He's that type of person that says what's on his mind, even though maybe he shouldn't.

True that.  I just wish one interviewer would ask him the hot take he gave during The Future Bites promo about (slight paraphrasing) how the electric guitar was dead as a musical force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: June 17, 2022, 07:27:17 PM »
He'd have to answer. He can't help himself. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2482 on: June 17, 2022, 07:50:34 PM »
True, and to be honest, his bluntness is why I always enjoy his interviews, plus he is a fascinating guy to listen to talk about music, but there is no doubt that he talks out of both sides of his mouth at times.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2483 on: June 18, 2022, 12:19:13 AM »
He is amusing to listen to for those reasons, that he is very blunt and 'honest' but also he kinda flip flops a lot with how he feels about things. I remember him shitting on bands like Flower Kings for being "the death of prog rock" and "not offering anything new to the genre" and then just a year or two later he made The Raven That Refused to Sing - which, whether you like or dislike, was clearly a 70s homage and wasn't trying to do anything new as much as it was just honoring that time period of prog rock. He's talked similarly about PT in interviews saying the band was dead and wouldn't come back yet here we are.

I think he's also realized by now that him saying slightly controversial things will help with gathering attention for his current project.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2484 on: June 18, 2022, 01:45:27 AM »
Trying to rationalize leaving Colin out as just something that naturally came out of the first jams, while giving the real reason at the same time, is shitty no matter how much you care about the guy. Steven Wilson isn't Porcupine Tree, it is - or it should be - a band, and being in Porcupine Tree shouldn't be determined by whether you reached out first to keep in touch with Steven Wilson when he went off to have a solo career and said a bunch of things about how he didn't need that kind of band anymore. Such situations pretty much demand a courtesy text, and if the guy is that cut off he might have said no anyway. If I were the others I wouldn't passively go along with it but what do I know :yeahright It's probably easier to split the money in three and just pay a guy to play the tour.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:54:56 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise