Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226816 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2380 on: April 04, 2022, 08:55:22 PM »
New PT is Gavin's drum fest 
The whole album is brilliant.
A truly great comeback from the band.

Oooooh, very nice! What an early lead on the release date! Hopefully it doesn't get too old for you by the time the rest of us can get to it!

Very happy to hear about Gavin's drumming - he is certainly an inspiration for all drummers, so I'm glad it sounds like he's letting loose on C/C. A shame that this will probably be their last album together, but if it's a good and proper swansong for the band, I'll gladly accept that.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2381 on: April 15, 2022, 06:26:02 AM »
PT did a fun Q&A, it's about 15 mins long. I like how one of the person asking a question was named Colin and Steven Wilson kinda did a double take it looked like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leuhgq8logQ&ab_channel=PorcupineTree

No question about Colin's involvement on it though.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2382 on: April 16, 2022, 11:51:27 AM »
PT did a fun Q&A, it's about 15 mins long. I like how one of the person asking a question was named Colin and Steven Wilson kinda did a double take it looked like.

Well, it was not live and put together and released, so I suspect if there were any questions about Colin Edwin, they skipped over them and that part didn't make what we saw.

The whole thing was kind of a boring watch.  Not surprised to hear them say that Anesthetize will get played on the tour, but Barbieri mentioned something about also playing a song for the first time, and it will be interesting to see which one.  I cannot recall which songs from Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream never got played live, but would be cool if it were from one of those.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2383 on: April 16, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »
Not surprised to hear them say that Anesthetize will get played on the tour

Normally I get annoyed by bands revealing bits of the setlist ahead of time on social media (e.g. Dream Theater with TCOT earlier this year) but I am okay with this :metal

(but seriously if y'all post setlist spoilers on here I will get a bit rowdy)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DTA

« Reply #2384 on: April 16, 2022, 12:44:09 PM »

Well, it was not live and put together and released, so I suspect if there were any questions about Colin Edwin, they skipped over them and that part didn't make what we saw.

The whole thing was kind of a boring watch.  Not surprised to hear them say that Anesthetize will get played on the tour, but Barbieri mentioned something about also playing a song for the first time, and it will be interesting to see which one.  I cannot recall which songs from Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream never got played live, but would be cool if it were from one of those.

The Rest Will Flow and How Is Your Life Today? are the only unplayed ones I believe, but I don’t think the former is well liked by the band. Lips of Ashes or Collapse the Light maybe? Or maybe even Synesthesia if they’re feeling wild

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2385 on: April 16, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
It is interesting that this reunion happened shortly after Steven started regularly playing PT songs as part of his live shows. Assuming he's going to continue doing that going forward (which maybe he isn't considering the stylistic shift of TFB, who knows) I imagine they'd want to prioritize more complex songs that would benefit more from having the full band (minus Collin) perform them, rather than simpler songs like Lazarus or Heartattack In A Layby for example.

I think Arriving Somewhere... is a given.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2386 on: April 16, 2022, 07:35:41 PM »
It is interesting that this reunion happened shortly after Steven started regularly playing PT songs as part of his live shows. Assuming he's going to continue doing that going forward (which maybe he isn't considering the stylistic shift of TFB, who knows) I imagine they'd want to prioritize more complex songs that would benefit more from having the full band (minus Collin) perform them, rather than simpler songs like Lazarus or Heartattack In A Layby for example.

Maybe, but Barbieri is by no means a complex player.  He is not really even a player (by his own admission), but more of a sounds and textures guy. And he does an amazing job of it.  When you think about it, is a weird dichotomy to have both Barbieri and Harrison in the band considering the former is a very non-technical player while the latter seems to come from the Mike Mangini school of technique first, everything else second.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2387 on: April 17, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »

Maybe, but Barbieri is by no means a complex player.  He is not really even a player (by his own admission), but more of a sounds and textures guy. And he does an amazing job of it.  When you think about it, is a weird dichotomy to have both Barbieri and Harrison in the band considering the former is a very non-technical player while the latter seems to come from the Mike Mangini school of technique first, everything else second.
I had the privilege of talking to him after a drum clinic I attended (that he had done) and he told me his approach actually is musicality first, *then* all the rest (although he is very technical, don't be fooled, but he makes everything work so well), same as Simon Phillips btw as another example. (can't remember when that drum clinic was though, sorry) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6bDkP37wA as he elaborates on here as well)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:53:13 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2388 on: April 17, 2022, 11:41:11 AM »
I don’t think Arriving Somewhere is a given. I mean I have no idea…but since the 18 minute Anesthetize is already included, I would actually be skeptical that they would include 2 major epics in the same show. That would literally be over a half hour of the set dedicated to just 2 songs. That might be another day at the office for DT, but I don’t think SW is of that mindset. I’m betting he gives AS a rest.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2389 on: April 17, 2022, 11:59:22 AM »
I don’t think Arriving Somewhere is a given. I mean I have no idea…but since the 18 minute Anesthetize is already included, I would actually be skeptical that they would include 2 major epics in the same show. That would literally be over a half hour of the set dedicated to just 2 songs. That might be another day at the office for DT, but I don’t think SW is of that mindset. I’m betting he gives AS a rest.

Yeah that would be very surprising if they did. You would guess all the new songs are a guarantee, then with Anesthetize that's almost 70 minutes of the concert. You'll probably get a fair mix of songs from their albums (like on The Incident tour when the second set was just that). If I had to place my bets on what songs they are the most likely to play from Deadwing, I would definitely say Lazarus, Halo or The Start of Something Beautiful feel more 'likely' than Arriving Somewhere - at least if they are playing Anesthetize. If Anesthetize wasn't for every show they could always rotate the two.

I've made my thoughts on Arriving Somewhere fairly clear before though, IMO it's a good (but not great) song that peaks after 6-7 minutes and has a pretty lackluster conclusion IMO. Not a bad song by any means but it definitely pales in the shadow of Anesthetize IMO.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2390 on: April 17, 2022, 12:12:18 PM »
Keep in mind that Steven Wilson actually played Arriving Somewhere on the To The Bone tour, so that’s quite recent.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2391 on: April 17, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »
Also consider that live versions of ASBNH exist on both the Arriving Somewhere and Octane Twisted live albums. So if they are thinking of a live release of the new tour, that would be another reason not to include it.

I loved the song when it was new, but Zantera brings up a point. It hasn’t really held up over time the way Anesthetize has. And dare I say it’s almost overplayed at this point?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2392 on: April 17, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »
Eh, I don't see how Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is overplayed.  It was only regularly played on one PT tour (Deadwing tour) and only played on one SW tour.  That means it has been played regularly on two tours since its release 16 years ago.  If that is overplayed, yikes.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Besides, I won't be surprised if Anesthetize is not played in full, and they end up doing just the middle section, like they did on the last PT tour.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2393 on: April 17, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
Besides, I won't be surprised if Anesthetize is not played in full, and they end up doing just the middle section, like they did on the last PT tour.

That'd be fucking shitty after they publicly announced they're going to play the song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2394 on: April 17, 2022, 02:57:26 PM »
Even setting aside my personal bias for Anesthetize over Arriving Somewhere, it just feels like Anesthetize is the ultimate pick because it really showcases the strengths of them the best IMO. Gavin's drumming in that song is some of his best and some of his most classic with the band, and Richard's fingerprints with haunting atmospheric keyboards are all over that song. I also think the 3 different segments to the song are all strong and unique and the song really warrants its length IMO. Arriving Somewhere (while still good) definitely feels more like a song SW could play on a solo show or something and it doesn't really feel as 'iconic' (for lack of a better word).

I do find it a bit weird that they would announce a song they 100% are gonna play on the tour in advance though. Even if Anesthetize is probably a top3/top5 PT song for many fans, the fact it is 17 minutes almost makes it awkward to be guaranteed.  :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #2395 on: April 17, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
Keep in mind that Steven Wilson actually played Arriving Somewhere on the To The Bone tour, so that’s quite recent.
I agree with this that it probably will not be played since SW recently played it.  Instead I think we'll get Lazarus AND Open Car from Deadwing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2396 on: April 17, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »

That'd be fucking shitty after they publicly announced they're going to play the song.

But if it will give fans someone fresh to complain about, meaning the absence of Colin Edwin will fall by the wayside in the complaint department. :P

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2397 on: April 18, 2022, 07:03:05 AM »
I agree with this that it probably will not be played since SW recently played it.  Instead I think we'll get Lazarus AND Open Car from Deadwing.

Live version of Open Car kicks some serious ass with that double bass part added in the middle of the song.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2398 on: April 18, 2022, 07:16:17 AM »

I dunno. I've seen a lot of interviews with Gavin, and even the Q&A recently he talks about following intuition at all times and sometimes doesn't even know what time signature or whatever he's doing unless he has to go back and figure it out. He's technical, but seems just naturally that way, as opposed to MM who is constantly doing math in his head and approaches it from that perspective.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2399 on: April 19, 2022, 05:18:27 AM »
Even with Anesthetize in the set, I would bet there'll be some other lengthy cuts.

I was at this concert (one of their last shows) and there's The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One), Time Flies and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2400 on: April 19, 2022, 06:08:27 AM »
Even with Anesthetize in the set, I would bet there'll be some other lengthy cuts.

I was at this concert (one of their last shows) and there's The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One), Time Flies and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.

Those songs are a bit spread out in their discography though so you can sort of cover more ground between those 3, whereas Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are both on back-to-back albums. I'm not expecting much of pre-Stupid Dream stuff on their tour (maybe a Dark Matter if we're lucky) but The Sky Moves Sideways is pretty damn great IMO and would be a pleasant surprise.

It's probably controversial but I still think Coma Divine is the best live album they put out. And I think Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize both arguably have better setlists (and I really like Anesthetize) but something about the performance and playing on Coma Divine just sets it apart for me. Only negative for me are the few songs that could have been on it that weren't - Dark Matter being maybe the most glaring one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2401 on: April 19, 2022, 06:22:58 AM »
I agree about Coma Divine.  I am not a live album guy, but on the rare occasions I am in the mood for live PT, that is the one I reach for. I think Gavin's knack for overplaying live makes the ones from the later era slightly less enticing, for me anyway.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: May 05, 2022, 04:13:48 PM »
PT will tour US in 2023 and will headline a resurrected festival.

More info soon.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2403 on: May 05, 2022, 04:21:51 PM »
It's probably controversial but I still think Coma Divine is the best live album they put out.

Oh no, not controversial to me, I agree with you :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: May 06, 2022, 05:26:16 AM »
PT has announced that Randy McStine and Nate Navarro have joined their touring line-up.

https://www.facebook.com/PorcupineTreeOfficial/posts/552724156215199
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2405 on: May 06, 2022, 07:27:10 AM »
Randy is AWESOME!!  Plus I just checked out that bass player.  Holy smokes!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2406 on: May 06, 2022, 07:28:37 AM »
yeah, Randy is a big Kevin Gilbert fan and actually played in a tribute.

Randy McStine  :tup

Online HOF

« Reply #2407 on: May 06, 2022, 07:38:00 AM »
Just saw the news about Randy elsewhere. He’s amazing. Talent level in PT raised considerably.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2408 on: May 06, 2022, 08:08:47 AM »
Nathan Navarro's great too (he played with Devin Townsend on his Empath tours).

Offline Kram

« Reply #2409 on: May 06, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »
Just saw the news about Randy elsewhere. He’s amazing. Talent level in PT raised considerably.
Yep, both Randy and Nate are great players.  Add them in with Gavin and look out..

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2410 on: May 10, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of the whole Steve Wilson thing but I picked up his book because I feel like he'd be someone who communicates really candidly unlike most musician bios.  The first thing he does is talk about how The Incident was kind of a lousy album and their Royal Albert Hall show was just going through the motions.  Guess I was right about candidness  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2411 on: May 10, 2022, 10:48:46 AM »
I think “lousy” is a strong word…but it was easy to tell right away that there was definitely a creative “spark” from previous albums that was mostly absent on TI.

It does speak to his talent that even when he’s not “feeling it” he can still produce something that is better that most corporate garbage.  And it’s not like there aren’t a few gems. I still love the title track and I Drive the Hearse. Time Flies is nice too, but maybe a bit derivative…even for him.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2412 on: May 10, 2022, 12:16:41 PM »
I think that's just Steven as a person, I don't think he looks at things like "great" or "good" i think he either views things as something good or something not-so-good. I even remember some interview where he took it even further and said something like 'every other album we made seemed to turn out great and the other one not so much' which would mean not only was he lukewarm on Incident but Deadwing and possibly Lightbulb Sun as well.

And he also strikes me as the type of musician who might be hung up on very minor details - so for example we might listen to Deadwing and think "thats a great album" and he might listen to it and hear all the minor things he would have changed or it brings him back to being in the studio and maybe something was bugging him.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2413 on: May 10, 2022, 01:16:30 PM »
A little bit of PT history here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ6AvMYRIVQ

It popped up in my YT feed.

I totally remember watching this when it aired, in 1997  :) It was so random...just to give you some context, this was a daily TV show, airing in the early afternoon. The host wasn't the best thing, but you had to give him credit - he did try, at the time, to talk about music that wasn't just 100% mainstream and, importantly, had live performances on the show, which wasn't so obvious on Italian afternoon TV  ;D The whole show had a bit of a DIY approach, which made it somewhat charming...

Had no clue who Porcupine Tree was, so this literally was my introduction to them. Looking at the date, I believe they had just played their shows in Rome that ended up being recorded for the Coma Divine live record. As it turns out, they had quite a following there before they became generally more known.

Anyway, this is pretty vintage Porcupine Tree and their performance here definitely intrigued the 20-year old me. Especially songs like Signify and Dislocated Day, with their cool drumming and such. Kinda funny to see a young Steven Wilson in this setting...

Some kind soul put time-stamps for the songs in the comments, so it's easier to enjoy this without going through the whole broadcast.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 03:01:26 PM by nick_z »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2414 on: May 10, 2022, 03:27:15 PM »
Just watched a couple of videos of that Nate Navarro chap, and it seems like PT is going to be kind of boring for him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson