Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226755 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2310 on: March 11, 2022, 07:53:53 PM »
Fair point, but while projects like Blackfield and No-Man have specific styles generally speaking, his solo career and Porcupine Tree do not, so it is not as easy for Wilson to say, "Oh, this sounds like PT," since Porcupine Tree is The Sky Moves Sideways, Radioactive Toy, Piano Lessons, Blackest Eyes and Bonnie the Cat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2311 on: March 11, 2022, 07:56:24 PM »
Who cares if he is trying to make up money.   Thank God he needed it. Enjoy the PT or solo ride. Either way, I'm happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #2312 on: March 11, 2022, 08:05:33 PM »
425, I am not sure I agree with your take. Leaving aside the fact that none of those PT albums are metal, I disagree that his recent albums have not gotten traction with the fanbase.  The Future Bites was pretty divisive (which I think said more about his core fanbase than it did about the album itself), but his four albums prior to that were all pretty well-received by the fans, especially The Raven and Hand.Cannot.Erase.   Even if you want to say that To the Bone wasn't well received because some fans flipped out over Permanating, he has still seen great success and much praise for his solo career since disbanding PT when looking at it in totality.

I think a lot of his solo material has gotten traction with his fanbase, but my point is about traction outside his core group of fans. If you could somehow take a poll of the whole world about what Wilson albums are best-known and best-loved, I suspect the top three would be IA, DW and FOABP. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Just looking at the prog world, there's definitely a whole group of people who aren't too interested in his solo albums, but have been wanting a PT reunion because they love that project and especially those albums.

To take a rather unscientific but indicative measure, here are the RateYourMusic stats for those albums, which are the top 5 SW-related albums in number of ratings:

IA: 11,764 ratings, 3.83 average
FOABP: 9,126 ratings, 3.80 average
DW: 8,890 ratings, 3.84 average
TRTRTS: 6,115 ratings, 3.68 average
HCE: 4,237 ratings, 3.65 average

My point is definitely not to say that Wilson has been a failure outside of those albums or to speculate on his motives for reuniting the band, just that those are probably the albums he's most known for. And that it's probably a strange situation to not be especially interested in making music in the style of the work you're best known for, and have people clamoring for you to make more in that vein.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2313 on: March 11, 2022, 08:06:40 PM »
I agree with the general consensus that part of this is due to SW trying to make up for the losses he incurred from the canceled tour he had lined up for his last solo album, and that this is probably going to be PT's last album/tour. But honestly, *why* does it have to be that way? Why can't he treat it the same way he does the other projects/bands he's involved in? Or maybe even do something similar to what MP does with the bands he's in with NM, where they rotate from NMB to FC to TA and back again? Given how prolific he is as a songwriter, as he writes songs, he can recognize where they're best suited: PT, Blackfield, No-Man or solo, and file them away until the appropriate time. 

I think it's a combination of a couple of factors:

1. I think it's safe to say that Porcupine Tree has been SW's most successful band/project out of the half-dozen or so he's been a part of. Blackfield reached a certain level of pop-song realm but never really took off, and I think Steven's diminishing contributions over time kind of feel like he didn't have a lot of faith in Blackfield breaking out the way he thought it might have. There are some songs from his latter solo albums that I feel could have been earmarked for Blackfield albums but he kept them for himself rather than workshopping them with Aviv. His other projects like No-Man, Bass Communion, and IEM are all a bit too niche to gain any mainstream recognition. Porcupine Tree was where Steven made a name for himself and so it makes sense to go back to it after luke-warm reception to his last solo album. I don't think Mike Portnoy goes from one project to the next with the mindset of "My last album didn't do too well, so my next project should be with a super popular group so I can regain _______ (popularity? ego? money?)." Same with Neal Morse, or Roine Stolt, or Arjen Lucassen - all of these super-prolific guys with multiple projects don't really seem to push themselves to be seen in the limelight. I think they all know how niche prog is in general and aren't keen to promote themselves as the next big thing in pop-rock the way I feel like Steven has tried to do since HCE.

2. Porcupine Tree has been on hiatus for over a decade. If he had kept producing PT albums, I wouldn't bat an eye on him coming back to PT after TFB's failure-to-launch. Like the above artists I mentioned with their multiple projects, for the most part, they're all active and have been for most of the past decade. On the other hand, Porcupine Tree hasn't been an active unit since the fall of 2010, with their last live show being October 14th of that year. It's been 11.5 years and all that SW has done with the band name has been re-issues, remasters and remixes, and other super-deluxe cash-grabs (looking at you, In Absentia).

3. As for writing songs he feels are best suited for PT, I think I read that some of the songs on the new album go all the way back to The Incident as song ideas for PT's next album, meaning he's had them for a LONG time. Has it been said that he's written NEW material for the band, or has it been rehashed/updated old material from before the hiatus? If it's all old material that was written back then, I think he's probably done making NEW music for Porcupine Tree, which kind of fuels the fire of "He's only doing this to recoup his losses" because it wouldn't feel like he's putting in present-effort like the way he's done with TTB or TFB, and is just digging through old harddrives to scrounge up bits and pieces of old PT ideas to make a new PT album. But maybe that's just me being cynical?  :lol

Either way, I think the whole situation is a bit odd, especially given how Colin hasn't been mentioned by any of the band members anywhere, and Colin himself (as far as I know) hasn't said anything regarding his absence in the band, or whether or not he wanted to rejoin/was asked to rejoin. It's about as odd as Tomas Bodin not coming back to The Flower Kings. Maybe Colin Edwin, Tomas Bodin, and Mike Portnoy should start a band of ex-bandmates?  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2314 on: March 11, 2022, 08:13:08 PM »
425, I am not sure I agree with your take. Leaving aside the fact that none of those PT albums are metal, I disagree that his recent albums have not gotten traction with the fanbase.  The Future Bites was pretty divisive (which I think said more about his core fanbase than it did about the album itself), but his four albums prior to that were all pretty well-received by the fans, especially The Raven and Hand.Cannot.Erase.   Even if you want to say that To the Bone wasn't well received because some fans flipped out over Permanating, he has still seen great success and much praise for his solo career since disbanding PT when looking at it in totality.

I think a lot of his solo material has gotten traction with his fanbase, but my point is about traction outside his core group of fans. If you could somehow take a poll of the whole world about what Wilson albums are best-known and best-loved, I suspect the top three would be IA, DW and FOABP. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Just looking at the prog world, there's definitely a whole group of people who aren't too interested in his solo albums, but have been wanting a PT reunion because they love that project and especially those albums.

To take a rather unscientific but indicative measure, here are the RateYourMusic stats for those albums, which are the top 5 SW-related albums in number of ratings:

My point is definitely not to say that Wilson has been a failure outside of those albums or to speculate on his motives for reuniting the band, just that those are probably the albums he's most known for. And that it's probably a strange situation to not be especially interested in making music in the style of the work you're best known for, and have people clamoring for you to make more in that vein.

I get what you are saying, but I am not sure Wilson is as far removed from the sound of those three PT albums as we think. His 2nd most recent solo album, To the Bone, had two songs, People Who Eat Darkness and The Same Asylum as Before, that many, myself included, thought would have been right at home on those PT albums from the 00s once Harrison joined the band.  And on his last solo tour, he also played not only those two songs, but The Creator Has a Mastertape (which could be argued is the heaviest song PT ever did) and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (which rocks pretty hard at times), so he is not as far removed from his style of hard rock/prog as it may seem. I think his "the guitar is dead" silliness when promoting The Future Bites was merely a promotional tactic on his part, like his way of trying to make it seem like the electric guitar is dead and buried since there wasn't a lot of it on TFB in the way we usually hear guitar on his albums, if you get my meaning.

Offline 425

« Reply #2315 on: March 11, 2022, 08:20:42 PM »
I get what you are saying, but I am not sure Wilson is as far removed from the sound of those three PT albums as we think. His 2nd most recent solo album, To the Bone, had two songs, People Who Eat Darkness and The Same Asylum as Before, that many, myself included, thought would have been right at home on those PT albums from the 00s once Harrison joined the band.  And on his last solo tour, he also played not only those two songs, but The Creator Has a Mastertape (which could be argued is the heaviest song PT ever did) and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (which rocks pretty hard at times), so he is not as far removed from his style of hard rock/prog as it may seem. I think his "the guitar is dead" silliness when promoting The Future Bites was merely a promotional tactic on his part, like his way of trying to make it seem like the electric guitar is dead and buried since there wasn't a lot of it on TFB in the way we usually hear guitar on his albums, if you get my meaning.

I'll fully grant that you would know more than I would about all of this. I don't really follow his music anymore and haven't heard any of his albums since Hand. Cannot. Erase., so I can't speak to his recent work. I just saw the article elsewhere and had the thought. Didn't mean any disrespect to the guy at all, so I hope it didn't come across that way.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2316 on: March 11, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »

I'll fully grant that you would know more than I would about all of this. I don't really follow his music anymore and haven't heard any of his albums since Hand. Cannot. Erase., so I can't speak to his recent work. I just saw the article elsewhere and had the thought. Didn't mean any disrespect to the guy at all, so I hope it didn't come across that way.

No worries at all. :)

It's always interesting to read different perspectives on this stuff.  :coolio

Offline Kram

« Reply #2317 on: March 12, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »
I agree with the general consensus that part of this is due to SW trying to make up for the losses he incurred from the canceled tour he had lined up for his last solo album, and that this is probably going to be PT's last album/tour. But honestly, *why* does it have to be that way? Why can't he treat it the same way he does the other projects/bands he's involved in? Or maybe even do something similar to what MP does with the bands he's in with NM, where they rotate from NMB to FC to TA and back again? Given how prolific he is as a songwriter, as he writes songs, he can recognize where they're best suited: PT, Blackfield, No-Man or solo, and file them away until the appropriate time. 

It's win-win, unless you're Colin Edwin.  :lol

A Colin Ed win-win  :P
Zing! Well played!  :lol
I agree Scotty.  It's almost like he resents Porcupine Tree's success - which is really odd.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2318 on: March 12, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »
3. As for writing songs he feels are best suited for PT, I think I read that some of the songs on the new album go all the way back to The Incident as song ideas for PT's next album, meaning he's had them for a LONG time. Has it been said that he's written NEW material for the band, or has it been rehashed/updated old material from before the hiatus? If it's all old material that was written back then, I think he's probably done making NEW music for Porcupine Tree, which kind of fuels the fire of "He's only doing this to recoup his losses" because it wouldn't feel like he's putting in present-effort like the way he's done with TTB or TFB, and is just digging through old harddrives to scrounge up bits and pieces of old PT ideas to make a new PT album. But maybe that's just me being cynical?  :lol
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that about half the material was leftovers, like you mentioned, and half were new songs they had written.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2319 on: March 12, 2022, 10:49:26 AM »

Well I personally consider myself a fan of both PT and his solo material.  And in my opinion his two best albums are (and it's not even close for my money) HCE and The Raven.  I think they're both masterpieces.  With that said, wasn't a fan of TFB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2320 on: March 12, 2022, 11:09:48 AM »
The Raven would probably my number 1 SW album from any of his bands/projects if I loved Luminol as much as the other five songs.  I like Luminol; I just don't love it.  As is stands, it is still a top 3 SW album for me along with Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2321 on: March 12, 2022, 12:17:56 PM »
I used to think The Raven was highly overrated aside from the title track as it was his least original album and it just felt like someone out of ideas trying to pull inspiration and sounds from better bands who did it better 40 years earlier. But it has grown on me after HCE, TTB and TFB which I all liked less and less, and looking back at Raven it's almost great in its simplicity. Even though the music itself feels snobby it doesn't have that aura/arrogance (call it what you will) of SW trying to be David Bowie or something.

I would say Luminol, The Watchmaker and the title track are the 3 big pillars that hold the album up but the other 3 aren't bad either. I would like Drive Home a bit more without the over-the-top guitar soloing at the end (controversial I know) but it is good for what it is. Holy Drinker has some cool parts too. Pin Drop is the most bland/forgettable song on there but it's only 5 minutes so it doesn't really overstay its welcome. But I can't say enough great things about the title track. As far as I'm concerned it's maybe his best song of his career. At the very least I'd put it up there with maybe Trains or Dark Matter if you wanna include his other projects.

Overall Raven doesn't beat Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning but I'd put it comfortably as his 3rd best solo album and I'd have a bit of a quality divide down to the next 3.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2322 on: March 12, 2022, 12:25:39 PM »
I used to think The Raven was highly overrated aside from the title track as it was his least original album and it just felt like someone out of ideas trying to pull inspiration and sounds from better bands who did it better 40 years earlier. But it has grown on me

This except I've enjoyed it less and less over the years, to the point where it's now easily in the bottom half of his solo discography. It's by far his most overrated album, IMO.

HCE and TTB are where his solo material finally started to match the quality of his PT work, for me. I have no idea why TTB isn't more highly-regarded aside from the fact that Permanating is on it. I especially love the final leg of that album, from People Who Eat Darkness to Song Of Unborn. Detonation fucking slaps.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2323 on: March 12, 2022, 12:47:10 PM »
For the most part, I can hear stylistic differences between his solo work and PT. But with HCE, I don’t hear a difference at all. I think that easily could’ve been a Porcupine Tree album.

As for his best solo work, I would put HCE as his best, followed closely by Raven. But unlike most, I would pick The Watchmaker as the crown jewel of the album just slightly ahead of the title track.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2324 on: March 12, 2022, 12:57:56 PM »
I used to think The Raven was highly overrated aside from the title track as it was his least original album and it just felt like someone out of ideas trying to pull inspiration and sounds from better bands who did it better 40 years earlier. But it has grown on me

This except I've enjoyed it less and less over the years, to the point where it's now easily in the bottom half of his solo discography. It's by far his most overrated album, IMO.

HCE and TTB are where his solo material finally started to match the quality of his PT work, for me. I have no idea why TTB isn't more highly-regarded aside from the fact that Permanating is on it. I especially love the final leg of that album, from People Who Eat Darkness to Song Of Unborn. Detonation fucking slaps.

My thoughts on the last 3 solo albums fairly summarized:

HCE - This is his most overrated IMO. It's the one that sounds the most like a PT album but aside from maybe Routine it just feels fairly 'average' for him. It's okay but he's made a bunch of other albums in similar sounds that I would much rather listen to.

TTB - I enjoy it but aside from Permanating (which I do like and find catchy) it just lacks those personal favorite standout songs for me.

TFB - Kinda similar to TTB I enjoy it enough when I listen to it but there's not that itch to spin it again. At ~10 spins I don't feel I would miss out on much if I never listened to it again.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2325 on: March 12, 2022, 01:01:51 PM »
I can only speak for the U.K. but, based on his success here, Steven Wilson in no way needed to go back to PT as a cash grab.  He has had much more success as a solo artist than he did with PT.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2326 on: March 12, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
I can only speak for the U.K. but, based on his success here, Steven Wilson in no way needed to go back to PT as a cash grab.  He has had much more success as a solo artist than he did with PT.

Popularity might not be a big issue, but he was probably knee-deep into planning his TFB Tour in 2020 just before the pandemic closed the world. He even postponed the album's release to match a potential tour date range, but that never materialized either, and so he probably lost a LOT of money on creating, postponing, and eventually cancelling the TFB Tour. PT seems like the best bet for recouping costs in terms of making money on a studio album AND a tour. He might've done well with another solo album, but I'm sure PT, worldwide, would help him a bit more financially speaking.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #2327 on: March 12, 2022, 01:55:31 PM »

Not for me.  I think The Raven and HCE are both awesome start to finish.  But I agree, TTB is very underrated.  Love Song of the Unborn, Detonation, Same Asylum, Refuge etc..

Offline Kram

« Reply #2328 on: March 12, 2022, 01:57:14 PM »
I'm sure you're right about the U.K. - I'd say here in the US though, PT is a slightly bigger draw.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2329 on: March 12, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
As good as Hand. Cannot. Erase. is, Grace for Drowning is better.

There it is.  :hat :hat

Offline Kram

« Reply #2330 on: March 12, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »

Raven
HCE

Insurgentes
TTB
Grace for Drowning

TFB

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2331 on: March 12, 2022, 04:17:44 PM »
1. Insurgentes
2. Grace For Drowning
3. The Raven That Refused to Sing
-----
4. To the Bone
5. Hand Cannot Erase
6. The Future Bites

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2332 on: March 12, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »
HCE

To the Bone

and the rest don't do anything for me at all.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2333 on: March 12, 2022, 04:24:41 PM »
1. The Raven That Refused To Sing
2. Insurgentes
3. The Rest

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2334 on: March 12, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
Great: HCE, TTB
Good: GFD
Okay: Insurgentes, TRTRTS
Meh: TFB
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2335 on: March 12, 2022, 05:36:16 PM »
I love Porcupine Tree. I love Blackfield. I like what I've heard of No-Man. I never go into Wilson's solo albums wanting to dislike them. But barring the odd song here and there, none of it has really done anything for me. But I'm going to keep giving each one at least one solid try; I can tell he's clearly putting a lot of passion into the solo stuff.

Just wish I enjoyed it more.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2336 on: March 13, 2022, 01:34:13 AM »
I love Porcupine Tree. I love Blackfield. I like what I've heard of No-Man. I never go into Wilson's solo albums wanting to dislike them. But barring the odd song here and there, none of it has really done anything for me. But I'm going to keep giving each one at least one solid try; I can tell he's clearly putting a lot of passion into the solo stuff.

Just wish I enjoyed it more.  :lol

I personally like PT and Blackfield more than his solo stuff as well so I kinda get you, but I still think there is great stuff in the solo work as well! :P

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2337 on: March 13, 2022, 11:12:06 AM »
I'm not quite sure what to make of Blackfield. I've only listened to their first two albums somewhat recently, and there's certainly some standouts there (Blackfield, Once, End Of The World) but also a lot of pretty forgettable songs. Looking at the song credits on Wikipedia I generally seem to enjoy the ones that Steven Wilson wrote more, which I guess isn't too surprising. I'm also not really a fan of Aviv Geffen's voice.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2338 on: March 13, 2022, 11:31:17 AM »
I'm sure you're right about the U.K. - I'd say here in the US though, PT is a slightly bigger draw.
I'm not sure actual popularity is what determines whether or not he gets rich from a tour. The reunion/finality aspect makes the PT a better draw, and it's the promoters that pay him. The two times SW has been through here he played <1500 seat venues. Now he's in a 4k seat mini-shed, and selling $450 VIP packages.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2339 on: March 13, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »
I'm not quite sure what to make of Blackfield. I've only listened to their first two albums somewhat recently, and there's certainly some standouts there (Blackfield, Once, End Of The World) but also a lot of pretty forgettable songs. Looking at the song credits on Wikipedia I generally seem to enjoy the ones that Steven Wilson wrote more, which I guess isn't too surprising. I'm also not really a fan of Aviv Geffen's voice.

I think the first two Blackfield albums are definitely the best ones (I love both from start to finish), but while the fourth is pretty dodgy, the third and fifth one are mostly good as well.  I say "mostly" especially in regards to the third since Go to Hell is a massive embarrassment.  Fortunately, the rest of it is really good; you just have to avoid that monstrosity.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2340 on: March 13, 2022, 01:10:49 PM »

I think I used to have that opinion but it definitely changed. SW is the weakest part of Blackfield and that's not really a slight on SW, I think what he brings to the table is kinda elevating the whole package but the Aviv songs tend to be my favorites for the most part (with some exceptions).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2341 on: March 13, 2022, 01:16:04 PM »
I don't really listen to Blackfield. But I do enjoy Open Mind and Oxygen.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #2342 on: March 13, 2022, 05:07:02 PM »

I listened to Grace for Drowning today for the first time in a while.  It really is an excellent album.  I actually think all of his solo albums, except The Future Bites, are really quite incredible.  For me my favorites are HCE and Raven, but the others (except TFB) are all excellent as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2343 on: March 13, 2022, 07:01:54 PM »
For me the top 3 go,

TRTRTS
HCE
GFD
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2344 on: March 13, 2022, 07:13:42 PM »
Yeah, I really only got around to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Blackfield albums in the last year and a half and was surprised at how much I liked DNA and BF5 after everything I'd heard about them. BF4 *is* pretty dodgy though.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.