Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226782 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2100 on: November 01, 2021, 09:25:43 AM »
Cool sounding track.    :tup
Looks like another artsy fartsy album cover. The tree is cool but that big white box with the band and album abbreviations is way over the top generic.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online HOF

« Reply #2101 on: November 01, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
If I didn't know any better, I would swear that was Geddy Lee playing the bass on that song.  The style and the tone are very similar to what he was doing in the 21st century.  The groove of it reminded me a bit of the title track from My Favorite Headache.

Anyway, great to get the official word!!

You know, I could totally see Geddy doing a spot like that, even if it were just for one track. That would be fun.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2102 on: November 01, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »
it could easily be the name of the song the clip is from, or the album title perhaps.

go figure.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: November 01, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
Sir Nicholas Beggs just tweeted thus:

As Steven Wilson is in possession of photographs of myself the vicar and a donkey I do not feel at liberty to comment on my involvement with P3. But thanx for your interest.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2104 on: November 01, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »

As Steven Wilson is in possession of photographs of myself the vicar and a donkey I do not feel at liberty to comment on my involvement with P3. But thanx for your interest.

How do you tell people you played bass on the new PT record without telling people you played bass on the new PT record.   :biggrin:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2105 on: November 01, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »
I am not sure what it is, but don't really like how the vocals are mixed/produced. But overall a solid track, looking forward to the whole album.

And that album cover is super ugly.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2106 on: November 01, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »

And that album cover is super ugly.
  ×2  :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2107 on: November 01, 2021, 10:41:53 AM »
I guess it's just the style SW has now - new PT feels very similar to The Future Bites in terms of artwork style and the track titles/using abbreviations etc, but I still feel it's a shame how SW/PT covers from 10-15-20 years ago look a lot better than the new stuff. I could see someone want to frame Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia or Grace For Drowning to put on a wall for example but I doubt anyone would do that with this.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2108 on: November 01, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
Oh Fear of a Blank Planet is back on Spotify! This is def my favorite PT album and well, Steven Wilson involvement!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2109 on: November 01, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
I guess it's just the style SW has now - new PT feels very similar to The Future Bites in terms of artwork style and the track titles/using abbreviations etc, but I still feel it's a shame how SW/PT covers from 10-15-20 years ago look a lot better than the new stuff. I could see someone want to frame Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia or Grace For Drowning to put on a wall for example but I doubt anyone would do that with this.
Yeah, Deadwing and FOABP are pretty dull covers too.  Lightbulb Sun is cool, and Up the Downstair is cool with the burning piano falling out of the sky.
SW is just kind of a strange dude... lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2110 on: November 01, 2021, 12:08:27 PM »
Wow, love the new song!

Seems really weird to drop a single on November 1st for an album not coming out until the following June.  WTF is up with that?  Oh right, it's Steven Wilson.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2111 on: November 01, 2021, 12:21:00 PM »
Wow, love the new song!

Seems really weird to drop a single on November 1st for an album not coming out until the following June.  WTF is up with that?  Oh right, it's Steven Wilson.

They seem to be tying album pre-orders and tour ticket pre-sales together (pretty genius, honestly) so that's probably why they're announcing it this early.

As for why the album's not getting released sooner, I imagine they're not taking any chances with how many albums have been delayed recently due to production backups.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kram

« Reply #2112 on: November 01, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »
Love the new song.  I really hope they do tour the US.  I'm guessing it's Beggs on the bass, based on what he said (or didn't say).

Online HOF

« Reply #2113 on: November 01, 2021, 12:31:43 PM »
Wow, love the new song!

They seem to be tying album pre-orders and tour ticket pre-sales together (pretty genius, honestly) so that's probably why they're announcing it this early.

As for why the album's not getting released sooner, I imagine they're not taking any chances with how many albums have been delayed recently due to production backups.

Yeah, everyone is having supply issues with album production. Vinyl reportedly had a six month turnaround time to produce a little while back, and it could be getting worse. I imagine once the album was completed and sent off for manufacturing, they didn’t want to risk something leaking before they could make their own announcement, and they might as well release a song to go with it to build anticipation.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2114 on: November 01, 2021, 12:32:47 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the chorus, but the rest of the song is fire :metal

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2115 on: November 01, 2021, 12:46:34 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the chorus, but the rest of the song is fire :metal

Basically my thoughts as well. Barbieri also isn't too noticeable here but he's always stood out more on the quieter songs.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2116 on: November 01, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2117 on: November 01, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »
Nick Beggs update on Twitter ;)

https://twitter.com/NickBeggs/status/1455206238904541185?s=20

I thought it was a newer tweet than the one that was shared here three hours ago.  :-\

But yeah, I'm more or less convinced he's on the album, and if not, he'll definitely be on the tour.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind hearing a couple of different bassists on the album as a sort of rotating guest-spot, and maybe have Steven play bass on a couple of songs. Granted, there are only seven songs, so maybe he just got one bassist to do the whole album, especially since it's less than 50 minutes long anyway.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2118 on: November 01, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
Laser CD has the Artbook for $73 plus $3.95 shipping. Just ordered from them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2119 on: November 01, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »

Oh damn, that's much cheaper shipping! I hope I can cancel my order with Townsend Music then.

EDIT - Just canceled my order with Townsend Music and placed an order with Laser CD. Thanks for the heads up! That saved me like $21! And given the track record Laser CD has shown me over the last year (with the TA box set, LTE 3 Artbook, and most recently the DT AVFTTOTW box set), I totally trust them and their shipping speed as I've gotten all my releases before or on release day.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:26:18 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2120 on: November 01, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »

I have no idea why I didn't think of doing that. Thanks for the heads up! I will try and cancel my other order.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2121 on: November 01, 2021, 02:09:52 PM »

I have no idea why I didn't think of doing that. Thanks for the heads up! I will try and cancel my other order.

I ordered from Laser CD as well. Can't wait to hear the whole record!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2122 on: November 01, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
The song excites me!

It was also educational as I didn’t know what “harridan” meant, so I had to look it up.  :D
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2123 on: November 01, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »
Just saw this on another forum:

"The album is done and mastered, but the seven month delay is down to "worldwide manufacturing problems.

Wilson is the bassist on the album.

This has been confirmed by Prog magazine editor Jerry Ewing on the magazine FB group. Jerry has heard the album, and described it as excellent.

And the reason he got a sneak peak, is because he's writing an official biography - not sure if it's PT or SW related, as he didn't say.

But I know and respect Jerry's judgement on albums and if he's openly praising it, then I'd imagine a lot of fans will enjoy it."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2124 on: November 01, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »
With the inevitable press tour begins, it will be interesting to see how Wilson answers the Colin Edwin questions that are bound to get asked.  He is usually pretty direct, but I have a feeling he will be a little less direct about this.  He probably learned from the EVH thing to not always be so direct, so I foresee some side-stepping coming soon to an interview near you. ;)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2125 on: November 01, 2021, 07:40:09 PM »
Just saw this on another forum:

"The album is done and mastered, but the seven month delay is down to "worldwide manufacturing problems.

Wilson is the bassist on the album.

This has been confirmed by Prog magazine editor Jerry Ewing on the magazine FB group. Jerry has heard the album, and described it as excellent.

And the reason he got a sneak peak, is because he's writing an official biography - not sure if it's PT or SW related, as he didn't say.

But I know and respect Jerry's judgement on albums and if he's openly praising it, then I'd imagine a lot of fans will enjoy it."

From what I remember, the songs that he played bass in HCE, he did really well. Someone already said here, but I thought his style a bit in the vein of Chris Squire/Geddy Lee. And the bass in the new song is really good.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2126 on: November 02, 2021, 01:22:27 AM »
What is there to answer? Edwin's not in the band anymore, let's move on.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2127 on: November 02, 2021, 01:35:02 AM »
https://porcupinetree.com/?fbclid=IwAR1pm0jk5I4Jv52SlJInWvxPqaMtfErVZgcNcEZ21HKTwi6twjkPtECsiFs

Towards the bottom of this site, you can find this:

Closure / Continuation
Produced and performed by
Porcupine Tree
Richard Barbieri
Steven Wilson
Gavin Harrison
( completed Sept. 2021 )

So my guess is Steven played bass on the studio album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2128 on: November 02, 2021, 02:36:18 AM »
Love the buildup and vibe at 4:20 and onwards with the guitar vocals and drums and percussion in the background.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2129 on: November 02, 2021, 03:29:40 AM »
Wasn't there a conflict between Barbieri and Edwin though? I wanna say Barbieri was known for hating jazz and more improvisational stuff and that was a direction Edwin apparently felt interested in exploring. Could be one of those situations where band members dig their heads down and work together but after a decade of not working together it's a bit of a "I don't wanna jump back into that". I think also as much as I love Colin Edwin's bass playing with PT, if you are SW and you are faced with bringing either of the 2 back, you go with Richard.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2130 on: November 02, 2021, 03:34:41 AM »
Wasn't there a conflict between Barbieri and Edwin though? I wanna say Barbieri was known for hating jazz and more improvisational stuff and that was a direction Edwin apparently felt interested in exploring. Could be one of those situations where band members dig their heads down and work together but after a decade of not working together it's a bit of a "I don't wanna jump back into that". I think also as much as I love Colin Edwin's bass playing with PT, if you are SW and you are faced with bringing either of the 2 back, you go with Richard.

I had the same thought and I feel bad for even thinking it. Colin's bass playing is groovy, relaxed and awesome. But Barbieri's soundscapes are more important for the band's sound I think.

Also, I read somewhere that Colin is/was a Brexit supporter. I wonder if this had anything to do with it. But I didn't read that in any official source, so take this info with a grain of salt! Don't wanna spread untrue things.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2131 on: November 02, 2021, 03:59:10 AM »
Wasn't there a conflict between Barbieri and Edwin though? I wanna say Barbieri was known for hating jazz and more improvisational stuff and that was a direction Edwin apparently felt interested in exploring.

I thought that was between Barbieri and Wilson.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2132 on: November 02, 2021, 05:11:12 AM »
I wanna say Barbieri was known for hating jazz and more improvisational stuff and that was a direction Edwin apparently felt interested in exploring.
That sounded so specific I had to google it and yes he admits himself having a reputation for hating jazz.  :lol

“I’ve always worked with jazz musicians, funnily enough, I have this reputation for hating jazz. There are lots of jazz things I really don’t like, and I started being more experimental with my musical voices. Not worrying so much about the structure, and particular tunings, just going with what kind of felt right. It seemed to work well working with these jazz musicians as I can use them in the context that I want, and I thought it just takes the music to somewhere else.”

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2133 on: November 02, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »

Your normal antagonistic style of posting aside, why is he not in the band anymore?  Many will want to know, so it only makes sense to ask the current band members that question, and it would be negligent of interviewers to not ask that question.  A longtime band member leaving a band and/or not being a part of a reunion, like it or not, is a story. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #2134 on: November 02, 2021, 06:18:42 AM »

Your normal antagonistic style of posting aside, why is he not in the band anymore?  Many will want to know, so it only makes sense to ask the current band members that question, and it would be negligent of interviewers to not ask that question.  A longtime band member leaving a band and/or not being a part of a reunion, like it or not, is a story. 

"We're onto Seattle"  ;D
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan