Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226792 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2065 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:31 AM »
That track was fantastic. Waiting 8 months for the 7 track album is going to be painful.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2066 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:39 AM »
Cool track. Sounds about on par with The Incident (it's giving me disc 2 vibes). Not a big fan of the glam-style vocal delay/verb, reminds me of The Future Bites. Other than that, it's business as usual, which is good. Loving the eastern scales in the middle part. Nice and heavy, eerie. Really the FoaBP/Incident era PT here.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:40 AM »
Interesting. They look like long songs. 10 songs 8 minutes each would be 1 CD with no space left on it.

That super catchy chorus reminds me of SOMETHING and I dont know what. U2 ? That kind of vibe.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2068 on: November 01, 2021, 05:08:00 AM »
I think the regular album is 7 tracks with the deluxe edition having 3 bonus tracks. Apple music might have included all 10 of them as part of the release.

The 10 songs 8 minutes quip from Apple music isn't talking about each song length. It's what has been released so far.

Some info from NME

Porcupine Tree have made their comeback today (November 1) with new single ‘Harridan’ and news of their 11th album, ‘CLOSURE/CONTINUATION’.

The band last released an album in 2009 (‘The Incident’). They released ten albums between 1992’s ‘On The Sunday of Life’ and 2009’s ‘The Incident’ before entering a hiatus after their biggest live show to date at the Royal Albert Hall in October 2010.

Now, the band comprising Steven Wilson, Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison are back with a frenetic new single, which you can listen to below. Their new album ‘CLOSURE/CONTINUATION’ is due for release on June 24, 2022 via Music For Nations/Sony.

Porcupine Tree said in a statement: “‘Harridan’ and a few of the other new songs have been in play since shortly after the release of ‘The Incident’. They initially lived on a hard drive in a slowly growing computer file marked PT2012, later renamed PT2015, PT2018, and so on. There were times when we even forgot they were there, and times when they nagged us to finish them to see where they would take us.

“Listening to the finished pieces, it was clear that this wasn’t like any of our work outside of the band – the combined DNA of the people behind the music meant these tracks were forming what was undeniably, unmistakably, obviously a Porcupine Tree record. You’ll hear all of that DNA flowing right through ‘Harridan.'”

‘CLOSURE/CONTINUATION’ will be available as a seven-track album on standard CD/double vinyl/coloured vinyl or limited cassette. The deluxe LP version comes on audiophile approved crystal clear vinyl as a 3xLP 45rpm boxset with two bonus tracks.

Meanwhile, the deluxe CD and Bluray boxset comes with three bonus tracks, instrumental versions, and high resolution 96/24 stereo, and 5.1 and Dolby Atmos versions of the album all housed in an exclusive art book. Pre-order here.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: November 01, 2021, 05:08:31 AM »
That track was fantastic. Waiting 8 months for the 7 track album is going to be painful.

10 tracks

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/1592522261?ign-itscg=30440&ign-itsct=catchall_p5

I think the regular album is 7 tracks with the deluxe edition having 3 bonus tracks. Apple music might have included all 10 of them as part of the release.

Yeah could be. I can definitely see SEVEN on that CD pic there.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2070 on: November 01, 2021, 05:09:51 AM »

We've already waited 12 years....  :biggrin:

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2071 on: November 01, 2021, 05:12:39 AM »

You're right  :tup

A limited, and audiophile approved, deluxe CD & Blu-Ray boxset. The three discs come housed in a 12” slipcase box, and features a CD disc with standard tracklisting, a second CD disc of three bonus tracks and instrumentals and a Blu-Ray disc that features high resolution 96/24 stereo, 5.1/ Dolby Atmos versions of the album. The boxset also comes complete with an extensive, and exclusive album artwork booklet.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2072 on: November 01, 2021, 05:32:50 AM »

So looking at that back cover of the CD the titles appear to be listed as

H.
O/T/N/D.
R/R.
D.
H/C.
W/T/P.
C/W.

H. we know is 'Harridan'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: November 01, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »
I'm guessing 6 tracks around 7 minutes and one a lot longer at 10 mins.

Total time 50 minutes or so.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2074 on: November 01, 2021, 06:27:15 AM »
Excellent song!!! Interesting that it’s less riff driven compared to the previous albums.
Kotow, in the picture that you posted, there’s track lenghts for 5 songs, including the single.
On Spotify says that the song was composed by Wilson/Harrison. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTA

« Reply #2075 on: November 01, 2021, 06:39:46 AM »

So looking at that back cover of the CD the titles appear to be listed as

H.
O/T/N/D.
R/R.
D.
H/C.
W/T/P.
C/W.

H. we know is 'Harridan'

Marillion did something very similar with their most recent album campaign. I bet they're going to have some sort of contest to guess the song titles based purely on the abbreviations. New song is cool, reminds me of In Absentia and Hand/Cannot/Erase mixed together.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2076 on: November 01, 2021, 06:41:58 AM »
New song is absolutely brilliant. Mostly stoked for the Americas tour part of the announcement, seems I'll finally be able to cross PT of the bucket list.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: November 01, 2021, 07:01:03 AM »
I'm not sure if I liked the song for what it is or because it's a new song by PT and I'm super hyped. I will come back to it later today or tomorrow and see if I get the same feeling.
Regarding the tour, hopefully my wife gets the transfer to Barcelona she has been looking for and I get to see them during the European leg.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2078 on: November 01, 2021, 07:11:13 AM »
They should've called this new track "Harrison," because Gavin is an absolute monster on this!!  :hefdaddy

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2079 on: November 01, 2021, 07:13:33 AM »
I got into the band just in time for them to stop making albums, so I'm happy to see this.  :lol And yeah, that album cover DOES give off some major The Next Day vibes.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2080 on: November 01, 2021, 07:13:51 AM »
They should've called this new track "Harrison," because Gavin is an absolute monster on this!!  :hefdaddy
as he always is (and he is one of my heroes as a drummer, which I'm unapologetic about, as with all of my heroes)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online faizoff

« Reply #2081 on: November 01, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »

Also can anyone read the text on the CD?

Somehow missed this picture before.

From what I can make out for the track timings

Harridan.  8:09
O/T/N/D.  4:42?
R/R.     
D.
H/C.       7:02
W/T/P.    4:26
C/W.       9:40

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: November 01, 2021, 07:25:18 AM »
Also - sorry RUSH fans but Gavin > Peart.

Just my £0.02.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: November 01, 2021, 07:28:14 AM »
I'm excited for the new material.  But it seems like it's the last PT album since it's called "Closure/Continuation" and it's mostly songs that had been floating around for nearly a decade in some cases and the band (or perhaps just Steven) wasn't particular inspired to complete them.  Almost gives me the feel that Steven is simply "cleaning out the closet" as he puts a bow on PT's career.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: November 01, 2021, 07:29:40 AM »
Why not ? One last album and tour for the fans. Then that's it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2085 on: November 01, 2021, 07:29:48 AM »

O/T/N/D.  4:43
R/R. 5:40   
D. 8:22

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2086 on: November 01, 2021, 07:45:06 AM »
I'm excited for the new material.  But it seems like it's the last PT album since it's called "Closure/Continuation" and it's mostly songs that had been floating around for nearly a decade in some cases and the band (or perhaps just Steven) wasn't particular inspired to complete them.  Almost gives me the feel that Steven is simply "cleaning out the closet" as he puts a bow on PT's career.

I'm hoping that the closure is just a reference for the previously composed songs and the continuation is for the newer and future songs! Anyway I believe, optimistically, that PT will continue, but more like a SW's side project.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2087 on: November 01, 2021, 07:46:31 AM »
Here are MM’s original comments on the gold record thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/progrockmusic/comments/547wfa/marco_minnemannsteven_wilson_drama/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Then he had some more comments here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/marco_minnemann_says_he_does_not_get_along_with_steven_wilson_would_gladly_join_band_with_geddy_lee__alex_lifeson.html

What makes Steve Wilson a genius?

"I don't know, you tell me. [Laughs] I don't want to say anything about that, I'm not getting along with Steven Wilson. I didn't know his music before I was in the band, and I don't have to listen to it after. I guess that says enough."

So basically, he admits that he was a hired hand...so what was he so upset about? Good grief.
Hired hand, likely. But it sounds like he was much more involved than simply being "the drummer" according to this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/marco_minnemann_reveals_what_rushs_alex_lifeson_told_him_about_retirement_answers_if_steven_wilson_is_demanding_to_work_with.html
In the past, you also worked with Steven Wilson, and I got the chance to speak to Dave Kilminster, the guitar player, and Guthrie Govan as well last year. Both of them mentioned an interesting detail about his work - is Steven demanding as a musician and an artist?

"No, no, not at all. Not with me - actually, when we worked it was a great vibe, to be very honest, we actually were the ones starting the songs first - he would send me ideas, and he would pretty much accept everything I did; I had completely free hands. So, that was all cool.

"I know sometimes with guitar players maybe not so much, you know, he gets very picky with those things, but that's I think every artist's right if you play in an artist's band. It's the same with my solo albums - if I have people playing something, then I want them obviously to play the way I want.

"Actually, to be very honest, I let people kind of have the free-hand a lot of the times too. It also comes to the choice of musicians I guess, and how you kind of conduct them.

"But personally speaking, the albums that we did went very quickly. [2013's] 'The Raven That Refused to Sing', and then this album after, [2015's] 'Hand. Cannot. Erase', those were done in four or five days in the studio. It was really quick. That was a good way of working, I have to say."
So it sounds like he was fairly involved in the writing of the songs, altho all songs are credited just to SW. And it appears that they got along well in the studio.

As for the new song, I'm liking it! Much heavier than I was expecting. Will be curious to see how the rest of the album sounds when it eventually comes out. But regarding the artwork, yeah, it could be better. I get having that generic style for SW's last album given the overall theme, but to follow the same style for PT seems odd.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2088 on: November 01, 2021, 07:47:14 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2089 on: November 01, 2021, 07:52:28 AM »

Great sleuthing folks! If my mental arithmetic is right, the main album is 48:02 long, which is about right for a SW/PT album. In the latter PT days, he was really on about making albums that were 50-60 minutes long so this doesn't surprise me, and it also doesnt surprise me that there were also bonus tracks.

Woke up about 40 minutes ago and saw the email from Burning Shed about the album and was heartbroken to see the 2CD/1BD artbook had sold out there but luckily the band's main store for the new album still had it available so I promptly ordered! The shipping cost a third of the artbook itself so that was $100.50 put down for an album that won't be out for another 215 days, but I can wait. Wild that we get the first single out so far ahead of the release date but I wonder if SW learned from TFB's release? He definitely wants to tour on this since the TFB Tour didn't happen, so by waiting til June he's got time to see if a PT tour can happen next summer. I suspect tour dates will be announced by Springtime.

As for the song itself, it definitely has PT DNA but I also definitely hear solo SW influences in there as well.i may listen to it a couple times but I don't want to burn myself out on the single so far ahead of the album's release.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 08:00:35 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2090 on: November 01, 2021, 07:59:11 AM »

I take the title to mean either or. Either the album will be Closure for the band, or it will be a continuation.

Whatever comes from this is where PTs future will go.

I find it neat that these songs were already there to go, just no time for everyone to actually get together with the band and make these songs, PT.

Could also be Colin was one of the main guys not interested in wanting to make these songs, while the other three were already working on them.

This could be a reason why nothing happened and Steven Wilson really wanted to release these PT songs. Hence Colin having to relinquish his role in PT so no legalities can arise once this album is released. Meaning, he can't claim he is a part of these songs, since they are made from older PT demos that were hanging around.

I'd still go see them live regardless without Colin. As long as they get a groovy bass player it'll work. Nick Beggs is groovy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2091 on: November 01, 2021, 08:00:54 AM »
June is so far away :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

Still, I'm just happy we're getting a new album. Fingers crossed for a USA tour. I never got to see them live.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online faizoff

« Reply #2092 on: November 01, 2021, 08:02:33 AM »

Harridan. 8:09
O/T/N/D. 4:43
R/R.        5:40   
D.           8:22
H/C.        7:02
W/T/P.     4:26
C/W.        9:40

Awesome find, I didn't even think to look at the tape!

@The Letter M, I ordered it from PT's store directly and yeah the shipping cost is insane.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2093 on: November 01, 2021, 08:03:32 AM »
Cool groove! :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2094 on: November 01, 2021, 08:04:40 AM »

Harridan. 8:09
O/T/N/D. 4:43
R/R.        5:40   
D.           8:22
H/C.        7:02
W/T/P.     4:26
C/W.        9:40

Awesome find, I didn't even think to look at the tape!

@The Letter M, I ordered it from PT's store directly and yeah the shipping cost is insane.

Even if I did catch it on Burning Shed, I don't think their shipping would've been any cheaper TBH. I just didn't want to miss out on ordering the artbook this time around. I really love SW's deluxe editions (I have Anesthetize and Hand. Cannot. Erase., both gorgeous artbooks), and this comeback album was one I wasn't gonna wait on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2095 on: November 01, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »

Still, I'm just happy we're getting a new album. Fingers crossed for a USA tour. I never got to see them live.

They said Americas and Canadian tour dates to be announced early next year on their FB page. We're getting it.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2096 on: November 01, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »

They said Americas and Canadian tour dates to be announced early next year on their FB page. We're getting it.

:metal If they skip Massachusetts I might have to take a drive for that one. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: November 01, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
I'm guessing 6 tracks around 7 minutes and one a lot longer at 10 mins.

Total time 50 minutes or so.

Not far off :)

Online HOF

« Reply #2098 on: November 01, 2021, 08:47:17 AM »
It’s interesting that the bass is so prominent on the track, but there’s no indication so far as to who plays on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2099 on: November 01, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
If I didn't know any better, I would swear that was Geddy Lee playing the bass on that song.  The style and the tone are very similar to what he was doing in the 21st century.  The groove of it reminded me a bit of the title track from My Favorite Headache.

Anyway, great to get the official word!!