Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 224951 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1855 on: October 30, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »
Arriving Somewhere to me is a good first 5-6 minutes and then the metal part really drags it down and the song just goes on for too long. Mellotron Scratch is easily my favorite from Deadwing too.

I totally agree about Arriving Somewhere. A great song on the whole but the metal riffs are just kind of repetitive and unnecessary. That album felt a bit like they were trying to cater to the general metal audience (maybe to justify being on Roadrunner?)

The metal side of PT worked fairly well on FOABP imo but before that (and after) there were some hit and misses. For songs that worked quite well like Blackest Eyes you also had songs like Arriving Somewhere where, for me at least, the metal element felt really forced into the song and just didn't gel. On FOABP it feels like the blending of those elements worked better.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1856 on: October 30, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
Arriving Somewhere to me is a good first 5-6 minutes and then the metal part really drags it down and the song just goes on for too long. Mellotron Scratch is easily my favorite from Deadwing too.

I totally agree about Arriving Somewhere. A great song on the whole but the metal riffs are just kind of repetitive and unnecessary. That album felt a bit like they were trying to cater to the general metal audience (maybe to justify being on Roadrunner?)

The metal side of PT worked fairly well on FOABP imo but before that (and after) there were some hit and misses. For songs that worked quite well like Blackest Eyes you also had songs like Arriving Somewhere where, for me at least, the metal element felt really forced into the song and just didn't gel. On FOABP it feels like the blending of those elements worked better.

Would agree with that as well. Fear of a Blank Planet felt like a better melding of prog and metal for whatever reason. I did think In Absentia was a case of more artfully employing heaviness in an album that wasn’t really metal.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1857 on: October 30, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #1858 on: October 30, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
I'd nominate Russia on Ice.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1859 on: October 30, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
I'd nominate Russia on Ice.
Yes. Russia on Ice (as well as Feel So Low) are Top 10 Porcupine Tree songs for sure.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1860 on: October 30, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »
My top three would probably be Trains, Hatesong and Russia On Ice. Lightbulb Sun is one of their more inconsistent albums but damn does it have some of their best material.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1861 on: October 30, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
Trains and Dark Matter for me. Probably Hatesong as my final pick for the top3. Anesthetize would be high up too.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1862 on: October 30, 2020, 02:52:41 PM »
The best Porcupine Tree song is clearly the 40 minute uncut version of Moonloop.  :biggrin:

But in all seriousness I would personally give strong consideration to The Sky Moves Sideways Pt.1 as a favorite PT song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1863 on: October 30, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »
The best Porcupine Tree song is clearly the 40 minute uncut version of Moonloop.  :biggrin:

But in all seriousness I would personally give strong consideration to The Sky Moves Sideways Pt.1 as a favorite PT song.

The Sky Moves Sideways is one of those songs (and albums) that seem to fly under the radar but I really like it. I consider TSMS-Signify-SD-LBS to be the peak of PT personally. UtD and IA are both good as well but those 4 albums in a row are really nice.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1864 on: October 30, 2020, 03:52:26 PM »
Dark Matter is #1, without any doubt.

other contenders for high up would be Gravity Eyelids, The Sky Moves Sideways 1, Buying New Soul & The Start of Something Beautiful

I've also always loved The Moon Touches Your Shoulder, Nine Cats and A Smart Kid for some reason.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kram

« Reply #1865 on: October 30, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
I Drive the Hearse, Collapse the Light into Earth, Sentimental and Open Car are some of my favorites that rarely get mentioned

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1866 on: October 30, 2020, 05:41:04 PM »
All the talk about "Arriving Somewhere" had me thinking how folks would rank the 10+ minute length PT songs, so here's a (mostly complete) list of them:
No Reason To Live, No Reason To Die
Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape
Radioactive Toy (just barely, at 10:00)
It Will Rain For A Million Years
Up The Downstair
Burning Sky
Voyage 34 Phase I
Voyage 34 Phase II
Voyage 34 Phase III
Voyage 34 Phase IV
The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 1
The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 2
Moonloop (Improvisation)
Waiting (Phases One & Two)
Mesmer III / Coma Divine
Metanoia I / Intermediate Jesus
Metanoia II
Even Less (Full Version)
Russia On Ice
Buying New Soul
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Anesthetize
Time Flies

Of these, some of my early favorites are "Burning Sky " and both parts of TSMS, but later on, "Russia On Ice" and "Anesthetize" are some of their best.

You know what... that is a completely valid opinion to have. I have a CD-r burned with the full version of "Moonloop" with the alternate version of "The Sky Moves Sideways", and it's 74:49 of great music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1867 on: October 30, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »

You know what... that is a completely valid opinion to have. I have a CD-r burned with the full version of "Moonloop" with the alternate version of "The Sky Moves Sideways", and it's 74:49 of great music.

-Marc.
I do actually like it. I used to put it on to fall asleep to years ago. I don't remember where I got my copy of the Extended version of Moonloop, but there are parts of it that sound........off???
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1868 on: October 31, 2020, 01:46:10 AM »
I've been listening to Lightbulb Sun quite a bit lately. I think I'd rank the songs like this:

1. Russia On Ice
2. Feel So Low
3. Four Chords That Made A Million
4. Lightbulb Sun
5. Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
6. Shesmovedon
7. The Rest Will Flow
8. Hatesong
9. How Is Your Life Today?
10. Where We Would Be

I think all these songs are really good, though WWWB is kind of forgettable to me.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: October 31, 2020, 01:59:17 AM »
I'd like to mention Buying New Soul and So-Called Friend as among my very favourites.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1870 on: October 31, 2020, 02:23:47 AM »
(1. Buying New Soul)
1. Shesmovedon
2. The Rest Will Flow
3. Lightbulb Sun
4. Russia On Ice
5. Feel So Low
6. Four Chords That Made A Million
7. Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
8. Where We Would Be
9. How Is Your Life Today?
10. Hatesong

Bottom 5 I don't care for. I'm not a huge fan of this album. :dunno:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: October 31, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
Trains is PT best song.

Probably gets my vote too.

That seems to be the general consensus, but I've never understood why Trains is better than the other PT songs. I mean, I like it, but there are others that I would rank higher.

Trains is top tier PT but if I had to choose favorites it'd either be Chloroform or Fadeway (the version Gavin on drums).

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1872 on: October 31, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
S Tier
1: Hatesong
2: Russia On Ice

A Tier
3: Lightbulb Sun

B Tier
4: The Rest Will Flow

C Tier
5: Feel So Low
6: Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
7: Where We Would Be
8: Shesmovedon

D Tier
9: How Was Your Life Today?
10: Four Chords That Made A Million

Buying New Soul would be right above Lightbulb Sun if it were included.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1873 on: October 31, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »
Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth should definitely be A-tier imo. In fact I'd bump that one and the title track up to S tier and I would agree fairly well with the rest.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1874 on: October 31, 2020, 04:51:25 PM »
Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth should definitely be A-tier imo.

It's grown on me a bit over the years. I think it's the Heaven's Gate sample that holds the song back for me. It just kinda gets in the way of the lush instrumentation underneath it and I don't feel like there's any good connection between it and the rest of the song.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1875 on: October 31, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
I wanna highlight Half Light, the live version from Tilburg is mesmerizing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1876 on: October 31, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth should definitely be A-tier imo.

It's grown on me a bit over the years. I think it's the Heaven's Gate sample that holds the song back for me. It just kinda gets in the way of the lush instrumentation underneath it and I don't feel like there's any good connection between it and the rest of the song.

I think the Heaven's Gate speech actually works well in context of the song. Well, if you believe this interpretation, I suppose. Basically, the first half is about two young people, possibly in love, spending their summer together, and it somewhat highlights the innocence of that time (it's similar to Trains in that way). Then the second half, where the Heaven's Gate speech happens, is supposed to represent the loss of that innocence, and perhaps it implies that these two young people eventually became a part of the Heaven's Gate cult. And maybe it's symbolic about how some people start their lives innocent and happy, but eventually lose their innocence and start doing insane things like that.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1877 on: October 31, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »
I wanna highlight Half Light, the live version from Tilburg is mesmerizing.
Half Light is an amazing song. :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1878 on: November 05, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »

Damn right. Perfect for a late night drive.  But my favorite is Blackest Eyes.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1879 on: November 20, 2020, 07:22:51 PM »
Anyone get that new Delerium Years box set. Mine arrived today.  Was kind of steep but there were a few of the early albums that I didn’t have so it was enough of an excuse to get the whole set remastered again and with a nice book etc.  Not listened to PT in years and even longer for the early era stuff so it was nice to hear some old familiar tunes that I’ve not played in so long.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1880 on: November 21, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
I don’t think I’ve ever really ranked my favorite PT songs.  I’ve been a fan since The Sky Moves Sideways, but I’ve never really given much thought to it.  PT has always been an album band for me, so pulling out individual tracks is kind of tricky.  I guess it would look something like this (and in no particular order)

Way Out Of Here
Futile
So-Called Friend
Buying New Soul
The Start of Something Beautiful
The Sky Moves Sideways
Fadeaway
Sever
Half Light
Gravity Eyelids

But I could also easily include things like:

A Smart Kid
Lips of Ashes
Where We Would Be
Strip the Soul
Anesthetize
Time Flies
Waiting (I and II)
The Sound of No-One Listening
Don’t Hate Me
Dark Matter
Sleep Together
Tinto Brass
Etc...
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1881 on: February 06, 2021, 08:34:32 AM »
I didn’t know where to put this:

Octane Twisted 4LP Boxset – featuring ‘The Incident’ Live In Chicago - burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree

Available on LP for the first time across 7 sides of vinyl in a 4LP boxset with a new etching from long term designer Carl Glover

Still weird to think that this Live album was the last new release by the band, and that they've only now just made it available on vinyl. Very cool at any rate!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #1882 on: May 10, 2021, 12:05:55 PM »
Porcupine Tree website has a makeover and also an official youtube channel with videos being uploaded in HD and even in 4K, I can't imagine they're doing all this work for nothing?

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kram

« Reply #1883 on: May 10, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
Porcupine Tree website has a makeover and also an official youtube channel with videos being uploaded in HD and even in 4K, I can't imagine they're doing all this work for nothing?

I predict a new album was recorded in secret during the pandemic - and they're getting ready for the surprise release.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1884 on: May 10, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »
I'll Believe it when I Hold it in my hand

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1885 on: May 10, 2021, 03:12:34 PM »
Burning Shed sent out an email today with nothing but PT stuff, including a show from 2003 that is being released.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1887 on: May 10, 2021, 03:44:34 PM »

I predict a new album was recorded in secret during the pandemic - and they're getting ready for the surprise release.

Steven Wilson: Porcupine Tree Could Return When Everyone’s Least Expecting It

https://loudwire.com/steven-wilson-talks-porcupine-tree-comeback/

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1888 on: May 11, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
New flashy website.

Updated YouTube page.

Something will happen shortly.

Least expecting it, my ass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1889 on: May 11, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »
New flashy website.

Updated YouTube page.

Something will happen shortly.

Least expecting it, my ass.

2003 live release from the In Absentia tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC