Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226047 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1820 on: July 11, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »
Drown With Me is the best track (not) on In Absentia :corn
FTFM

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1821 on: July 11, 2020, 07:05:03 PM »
I did a PT top 50 countdown maybe 5-6 years ago (IIRC) and cannot remember what was where, but if I did one, In Absentia would be one of those albums that might not have a song in the top 10, but would probably have anywhere from 4 to 6 in the 11-30 range.  Collapse the Light into Earth might squeeze into the top 10.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1822 on: July 11, 2020, 07:09:02 PM »
Heartattack in a Layby is definitely the best song on the album. I kinda agree with SW that Gravity Eyelids in the weakest, too. I like it well enough, but it's never one I'd put on unless I'm listening through the whole album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1823 on: July 11, 2020, 07:10:47 PM »
Heartattack in a Layby is definitely the best song on the album. I kinda agree with SW that Gravity Eyelids in the weakest, too. I like it well enough, but it's never one I'd put on unless I'm listening through the whole album.

SW thought Prodigal was the least best, not Gravity Eyelids, just FYI. :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
not really :p
« Reply #1824 on: July 11, 2020, 09:04:11 PM »
Oh, well fuck him then.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1825 on: August 15, 2020, 11:21:32 PM »
I didn't feel like listening to an entire album tonight, but I've kept hearing about how great the song Dark Matter was, so I gave it a listen just now... and it is really great. Not sure where I'd rank it among all the Porcupine Tree albums I know. But chances are, it'll end up pretty high in my rankings, because that guitar solo is perfection.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1826 on: August 16, 2020, 02:09:50 AM »
Signify is one of the three albums I don't know very well (the other ones being the first two). I have heard it a couple of times, but that was a few years ago. How would you rank this album in the PT discography?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #1827 on: August 16, 2020, 06:41:27 AM »
Signify is my favorite PT album. It’s got the perfect blend of the spacy instrumental side of early PT and the song-based stuff they’d come into on the albums after. In Absentia cones very close but there’s something about the vibe of the Signify era that I love. I’m usually in the minority though as I think their “metal” albums are the weakest (DW and FoaBP) and greatly prefer the overall sound of UTD, V34, and TSMS.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1828 on: August 16, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
At the time when I got into PT i did not mind the metal aspect and FOABP was my favorite for the longest time. Now in retrospect 10 years later with all the music I have discovered since, the change in perspective as a result of that (and growing older) I definitely feel like the metal aspect of their sound has aged the most poorly. I still enjoy that stuff but I feel like the 'middle years' is peak PT. I would say Signify-Stupid Dream-Lightbulb Sun are their best albums because you get elements of earlier PT mixed with the more melodic elements of later PT. IA, DW and FOABP are all great too but I definitely don't regard them as highly as I once did.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1829 on: August 16, 2020, 07:49:08 AM »
Signify has 2 of my favorite PT songs: Sleep of no dreaming and Dark matter

Besides that, I don't like it very much

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1830 on: August 16, 2020, 08:31:46 AM »
Signify is my favourite Porcupine Tree album :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1831 on: August 16, 2020, 09:58:49 AM »
Signify is kind of a weird album. Because so many of the tracks are not really standalone songs. They either belong as intros of other songs, extensions of other songs, or interludes between songs. The album really has to be listen to is a complete piece. It is one of those “album experiences“.

Idiot prayer is probably my all-time favorite porcupine tree instrumental EDIT - but of course, there are always 2-3 vying for this position
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:14:36 AM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1832 on: August 16, 2020, 10:00:53 AM »
Signify is definitely the peak of their psychedelic era before they moved onto more song-oriented albums with Stupid Dream. Dark Matter is great but both parts of Waiting deserve more appreciation. Part 1 is a lovely self-contained song and Part 2 is an excellent atmospheric instrumental with a super satisfying conclusion.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1833 on: August 16, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »
I'm worried about potentially overrating songs these days, but I think at least four songs on Deadwing (Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Mellotron Scratch, The Start of Something Beautiful, Glass Arm Shattering) are all worth a perfect 10/10.

(To clarify, what I mean by "overrating" is, for example, giving a song a 10 when later on I might realize that while I still love the song as much as I did, I feel it's more of a 9.5 or something.)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1834 on: October 06, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandcamp.com/album/indigo2-2008

A few days after filming the concert in The Netherlands that would later be released as Anesthetize, Porcupine Tree wound up a nine date mini tour (and the Fear of a Blank Planet album cycle), with this hometown show. At least two of the band are sick and there are some rough edges, but perhaps with the knowledge that the film is in the can, this spirited performance has a looser and more relaxed feel to other shows with similar repertoire from this period.

This is the complete 2 hour concert in high resolution 96k/24 bit audio.
credits
released October 6, 2020

Recorded at the IndigO2, London on 19th Oct 2008 under the supervision of Ian Bond.

Mixed September 2020.
Audio resolution - 96K / 24 bit

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: October 07, 2020, 07:42:30 AM »
Love the setlist, I'm going to pick this up.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1836 on: October 07, 2020, 07:49:26 AM »
SNAPPER MUSIC ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE A NEW DEAL WITH PORCUPINE TREE TO REPRESENT THEIR TRANSMISSION LABEL WORLDWIDE

Snapper Music have held a close relationship with Porcupine Tree since the release of the 1999 album ‘Stupid Dream’ on their Kscope imprint. The label acquired the band's early work on the Delerium label in 2006 and later the Warner 'Lava' years material in 2017.

The first Transmission release on the new deal in November will be a deluxe 13 CD box set chronicling the evolution of Porcupine Tree, bringing together all of the band's recordings issued by the Delerium label between 1992-97. A deluxe multi-disc edition of the band's 2005 acclaimed album 'Deadwing' will follow in 2021.

Snapper Music MD Frederick Jude comments "20 years on we greatly appreciate the successful working relationship we have maintained with the band"

Porcupine Tree founder and frontman, Steven Wilson comments… “Myself and the band are very happy to have all our work united on our transmission imprint through Snapper Music, a label we’ve had a long and extremely positive relationship with. We are discussing many exciting possibilities for the catalogue going forward, plans that will take in definitive special editions of existing albums, but also open the vaults to archive material.”

Glad to see there will be a Deadwing box set following the In Absentia one (which I still need to get).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1837 on: October 07, 2020, 08:10:26 AM »
A Deadwing box set sounds nice! It'll probably be too expensive for me, though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: October 16, 2020, 06:23:21 AM »
Just a had a listen to Pure Narcotic the new release of an acoustic recording from 2012, great little ep. I really do miss PT.

https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandcamp.com/album/pure-narcotic-acoustic-session-2012

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1839 on: October 26, 2020, 11:18:40 PM »
Finally gave in a picked up the Deluxe In Absentia. It arrived today and, I have to say, it is really a nice set. Much bigger than I expected. I bought it new from Amazon via a third-party seller with Amazon shipping. The thing was still completely sealed and was packaged in super protective packaging. Even better, the seller had slipped the replacement Blu-ray disc into the shipping box. I did not expect that at all and was super surprised and appreciative.

I still think $83 is a bit steep for this, but I can't deny the quality.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

« Reply #1840 on: October 29, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »
Trains is PT best song.

Probably gets my vote too.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1841 on: October 30, 2020, 12:37:19 AM »
Trains is PT best song.

Trains has grown on me, and I do think it's very good, but it's far from even my favorite PT song on In Absentia. Blackest Eyes, The Sound of Muzak, Wedding Nails, .3, The Creator Has A Mastertape, Heartattack in a Layby, and Collapse the Light Into Earth are all songs I could easily say are better than Trains.

As for my favorite PT song overall, it's a tie between The Start of Something Beautiful and Anesthetize.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: October 30, 2020, 01:14:15 AM »
Trains is PT best song.

That seems to be the general consensus, but I've never understood why Trains is better than the other PT songs. I mean, I like it, but there are others that I would rank higher.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1843 on: October 30, 2020, 02:58:57 AM »
Yeah, even on In Absentia I can name at least five songs I'd rank higher than Trains on personal preference. Sound of Muzak, Gravity Eyelids, Blackest Eyes, Prodigal, .3. And my favourite IA song is not even on the main album, namely Drown With Me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1844 on: October 30, 2020, 06:13:39 AM »
I don't know if its my favorite, but Trains is up there for sure. And whenever I want to share PT with someone I typically play them Trains.

Online HOF

« Reply #1845 on: October 30, 2020, 07:04:41 AM »
I’m not necessarily a huge PT fan, but Trains was one of their first songs I heard and it really blew me away at the time. One of those songs that just feels like a great song. Sound of Muzak would also be up there, I guess, maybe Lightbulb Sun or Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled. She’s moved on is good. But I’d probably stick with Trains.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1846 on: October 30, 2020, 07:22:18 AM »
I love so many of their songs but I think The Start Of Something Beautiful is slightly above the rest.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: October 30, 2020, 07:23:08 AM »
I have a soft spot for Lazarus, it was the first PT song I fell in love with as a new listener.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1848 on: October 30, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
Deadwing in it's entirety is my first PT experience and it remains my favorite of theirs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1849 on: October 30, 2020, 07:39:05 AM »
I consider Arriving Somewhere But Not Here their best song.

My favorite all time Porcupine Tree song is The Start of Something Beautiful. So happy I got to see it live, when they toured with Coheed and Cambria. Good thing I went too...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online HOF

« Reply #1850 on: October 30, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
If I had to pick a favorite from Deadwing, I’d go with Mellotron Scratch, because it mentions mellotrons. :-) Arriving Somewhere is good too, but as a whole that album kind of turned me off from PT.

Online HOF

« Reply #1851 on: October 30, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
If I had to pick a favorite from Deadwing, I’d go with Mellotron Scratch, because it mentions mellotrons. :-) Arriving Somewhere is good too, but as a whole that album kind of turned me off from PT.

Listening to Deadwing now for the first time in a long time, and its not just the name. Mellotron Scratch really is the standout track here.

Online HOF

« Reply #1852 on: October 30, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
Listening to Fear of a Blank Planet now (this was actually the last PT album I bought). Not sure why I rarely listen to this, but it’s a much more exciting listen than Deadwing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1853 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
Arriving Somewhere to me is a good first 5-6 minutes and then the metal part really drags it down and the song just goes on for too long. Mellotron Scratch is easily my favorite from Deadwing too.

Online HOF

« Reply #1854 on: October 30, 2020, 11:19:04 AM »
Arriving Somewhere to me is a good first 5-6 minutes and then the metal part really drags it down and the song just goes on for too long. Mellotron Scratch is easily my favorite from Deadwing too.

I totally agree about Arriving Somewhere. A great song on the whole but the metal riffs are just kind of repetitive and unnecessary. That album felt a bit like they were trying to cater to the general metal audience (maybe to justify being on Roadrunner?)