Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 227542 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1645 on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:09 PM »
I never really like Signify. Don't get me wrong, there are some great tracks on there but it's bottom tier IMO.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1646 on: April 20, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
I never really like Signify. Don't get me wrong, there are some great tracks on there but it's bottom tier IMO.

Its my least favorite PT album, but its got Sleep of no Dreaming and Dark matter, which are 2 of my favorite PT tracks. Oh the irony.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1647 on: April 20, 2014, 08:35:45 PM »
Most of you know that I'm not the biggest PT fan, but I'm listening to Signify right now, and it's perfect. Sadly, no other PT album comes close, but Signify is completely amazing, start to finish. Dark Matter :hefdaddy

This and Lightbulb Sun are my favorites. It's strange. 6 months ago I never would have considered Signify to be my favorite, but it clicked one day. It is incredible. Probably the best album you could listen to while drifting to sleep.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1648 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
I'll speak up for Signify.   

It was a big time grower for me.  But it really clicked for me when I just listened to the whole album from start to finish without focusing on the tracks.    It can really throw you off on a subconscious level when you see a CD with 12 tracks, and then find out there are really only 7 proper songs.   The mind begins to tell you that you're being ripped off.     But if you just listen to the entire album as a hour long journey (similar to Dark Side of the Moon) and stop focusing on tracks and their titles, it is really an eye-opener. 

This is absolutely one of my favorite PT albums.   At one time I had it listed as #1, but I'm not sure now.    I do think that Signify is the perfect blend of the style that came before, and the style that would follow after.   Stupid Dream might be a tad better.    Lightbulb Sun is like Stupid Dream Part 2, but not quite with the same magic.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1649 on: April 20, 2014, 08:42:42 PM »
Stupid Dream is actually my 2nd least favorite PT album. Which is very weird, because it's amazing, but I can't bring myself to put it higher. I have a feeling it will just click one day.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1650 on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Signify would probably be in my top five. It's pretty much the bridge between the early, psychedelic albums and the Stupid Dream and onwards song-based albums, and thus contains the best of both worlds.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1651 on: April 20, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
Dark matter flowing out on to a tape
Is only as loud as the silence it breaks

:heart
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1652 on: April 20, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
I'll just leave this here.

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1653 on: April 20, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
That's fuckin' awesome.  :lol :metal :millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1654 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:24 AM »
Stupid me, thinking that we finally had some PT news. Should have known better.  :facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1655 on: April 21, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »
I watched the Anesthetize DVD over the weekend. A freaking masterpiece  :metal

Everything about it is just perfect. I think I prefer the live performance of the FOABP album than the studio one!

Thoughts?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1656 on: April 21, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
Yeah, Anesthetize remains their best live album.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1657 on: April 21, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
There's very few songs from any artist that I like their live versions more than the originals, but PT has a few; Anesthetize being a semi-exception because there's just a few songs I like better than the studio album. I think Coma Divine is the best live album I've ever heard, suffice it to say that I like all the songs better than the originals; beautiful concert and it's still by far and away my favorite.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1658 on: April 21, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
Anesthetize is good....I personally think Arriving Somewhere is not only VASTLY superior, but may in fact be the greatest concert film I have ever seen PERIOD. 

My favorite part is the visual effects...it just gives the whole think a very old fashioned "concert film" feel...like what you used to see in the theaters in the 70's and 80's.     Add to that, the setlist is much much better...   Arriving Somewhere is the only concert film in my collection that I watch over and over again and never get tired of.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1659 on: April 21, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
Anesthetizes setlist is pretty good for playing the whole album plus b-sides.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1660 on: April 21, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
I don't care for Arriving Somewhere that much. Apart from a few songs, the setlist is pretty predictable, and most of the songs are played exactly like they sound on album. Personally I kinda prefer it when songs are altered slightly live.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1661 on: April 21, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
Thank God (SW) for Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize. Two of the best concert films ever.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1662 on: April 21, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
I don't care for Arriving Somewhere that much. Apart from a few songs, the setlist is pretty predictable, and most of the songs are played exactly like they sound on album. Personally I kinda prefer it when songs are altered slightly live.

Really?  I mean, maybe some of them....but I think Heartattack and Trains are *very* different, and the highlights of the show....and possibly *the* definitive versions in my mind. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1663 on: April 21, 2014, 05:36:43 PM »
I kinda hate the version of Trains on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. The mood of the studio version is perfect, and speeding it up like they did (I think it might be in a different key, too) just ruins it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1664 on: April 21, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »
I kinda hate the version of Trains on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. The mood of the studio version is perfect, and speeding it up like they did (I think it might be in a different key, too) just ruins it.

I don't think he can sing it live at the key they do it in the studio...so he's been doing it differently for a long time.   I think both versions have their charm...but it's the broken string part, and his LOL moment with the audience that (for me) really gives that version a special charm.   It's such an organic experience for me.   I'm thrilled he left it in, and I use that version in ALL my PT mix CD's.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1665 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
I first heard of PT in the last two months.  So much material to go thru.  My favorite CD is Deadwing followed by Lightbulb Sun.

I used to be a classic rock guy, but a couple of years ago first heard DT and things changed.  My wife likes some of DT, but so far the only song she likes from PT is Lazarus.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1666 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »

I don't think he can sing it live at the key they do it in the studio...so he's been doing it differently for a long time.   I think both versions have their charm...but it's the broken string part, and his LOL moment with the audience that (for me) really gives that version a special charm.   It's such an organic experience for me.   I'm thrilled he left it in, and I use that version in ALL my PT mix CD's.
And this performance is the reason why they've played Trains in a lower key ever since. You can tell it's a struggle for him to hit those high notes live...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peu81Z0opRg

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1667 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
Trains sounds WAY better in a lower key.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1668 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »
I never really noticed how high some of the notes in that song are until you guys mentioned it, so I guess tuning it down live makes sense.

But I still think the live versions sound terrible compared to the studio one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1669 on: April 23, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
While I think PT is/was a good live band, almost all of their songs sound way better in the studio.  Given what a perfectionist Wilson is, and his ability to make his recordings always sound pristine, that is no surprise.  When I do my PT mp3 CDs for my car, I almost never consider putting any of the live versions over studio versions, a few from Coma Divine being the exceptions.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1670 on: April 23, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
Yeah I would probably agree there. There's a few really awesome live versions on Coma Divine, but nothing since then really. I do like some of the live versions on the XM-transmission albums. The live version of Last Chance... is quite cool.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1671 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »
Anesthetize is good....I personally think Arriving Somewhere is not only VASTLY superior, but may in fact be the greatest concert film I have ever seen PERIOD. 

My favorite part is the visual effects...it just gives the whole think a very old fashioned "concert film" feel...like what you used to see in the theaters in the 70's and 80's.     Add to that, the setlist is much much better...   Arriving Somewhere is the only concert film in my collection that I watch over and over again and never get tired of.
Don't know about best ever DVD, but Arriving Somewhere is bloody good. I had Anesthetize on the other day and just couldn't get through it. Fear of a Blank Planet has highlights but isn't one of PT's best, and I'm not too hot on Nil Recurring, either - the setlist doesn't work for me, and the performance is a little more sterile. Arriving Somewhere on the other hand is great songs wall to wall, with killer performances of each one, lots of atmosphere, nice small stage. Top dollar.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1672 on: April 23, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »
Arriving Somewhere has a freaking amazing Hatesong performance going for it. And Trains, which I've always preferred live over studio. Overall though I like Anesthetize more.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1673 on: April 23, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »

Believe me, as a film aficionado, I think Arriving Somewhere... thanks to Lasse Hoile's signature visual style seen in his visuals is what gives it its charm. It's looks a bit more experimental, and IMO a bit dreamy like; something you'd see in a David Lynch movie. I might even call it an arthouse concert film. I agree that the visual effects are awesome even though there's a minority who've openly criticized it.

Anesthetize as well as the other two concert DVDs Lasse Hoile directed, SW's Get All You Deserve and Anathema's Universal I would say were more in the "traditional/professional" way of how concert videos are shot and visually represented on screen. For what it is, in terms of capturing the band and the performance, I think they're superior IMO.

As far as the bonus DVD on the limited edition of Octane Twisted, due to way less cameras during filming and the lack of input from SW (from what I read in interviews, Gavin appeared to be more involved with it than SW was, he only caved in and gave his seal of approval despite admitting that he initially disagreed about releasing it) it wasn't the best visual representation of the band, and seemed rushed IMO. But from a historical standpoint, it's great that the last PT tour (as of now) was archived in some way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1674 on: April 23, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »

Don't know about best ever DVD, but Arriving Somewhere is bloody good. I had Anesthetize on the other day and just couldn't get through it. Fear of a Blank Planet has highlights but isn't one of PT's best, and I'm not too hot on Nil Recurring, either - the setlist doesn't work for me, and the performance is a little more sterile. Arriving Somewhere on the other hand is great songs wall to wall, with killer performances of each one, lots of atmosphere, nice small stage. Top dollar.

Maybe that's my problem with Anesthetize.   I'm not as down on FOABP as you are....I think it's one of PT's best, and the live versions of a few songs are even better than the studio versions (My Ashes and Way Out of Here leap immediately to mind).    But I was never a fan of Nil Recurring...which sounds *exactly* like what it is...discarded ideas from FOABP.    There are bits that are awesome (that drumwork on What Happens Now is unbelievably good) but on the whole, the songs just don't really work for me, and the material from NR is most likely the reason I don't come back to Anesthetize as much.    Although I will say that Sever, Dark Matter and the Strip the Soul/.3 medley are GREAT high points.  :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1675 on: April 23, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
I just wanna say that their live versions of Half Light and Way Out Of Here on Anesthetize watched in blu-ray quality is a divine experience if you ask me. A live concert performance can not get much better then that, again if you ask me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1676 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »
Half-Light is amazing, but I really prefer the studio version of Way Out Of Here.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1677 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
While I think PT is/was a good live band, almost all of their songs sound way better in the studio.  Given what a perfectionist Wilson is, and his ability to make his recordings always sound pristine, that is no surprise.  When I do my PT mp3 CDs for my car, I almost never consider putting any of the live versions over studio versions, a few from Coma Divine being the exceptions.
I mostly agree (although I like all PT live releases and especially Anesthetize), but I think Trains and the extended Open Car from Arriving Somewhere beat their studio versions. Coma Divine has some great performances though.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1678 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
I like the guitar lick for the intro to The Moon Touches Your Shoulders on Coma Divine than the acoustic guitar intro in its studio version. I love the extended improvisations of the songs off of Coma Divine especially.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: April 24, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »
you really can't go wrong with Coma Divine. i wish SW had put as much effort into the subsequent live releases (including corrections and re-singing, controversial as it is) because they really don't measure up, imo.

i suppose Anesthetize comes quite close, though, which is part of why i like it so much.

rrrank!
Coma Divine
Anesthetize
(XM I & II)
Warszawa
Atlanta / Ilosaarirock
Arriving Somewhere
Octane Twisted
Rockpalast
Spiral Circus