Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226888 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1610 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
It's got some good songs like Always Never, Burning Sky and Fadeaway, but out of all the PT albums I've listened to (which is all of them except for the first one), it's definitely my least favorite.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1611 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
I don't know why, but I find Up The Downstair to be easily the most listenable Porcupine Tree album. It's not too long of an album and so it's easy just to put it on and chill. There's nothing else quite like it in Porcupine Tree's discography and while it may not be my favorite album by them, I find myself listening to it a helluva lot more than the rest of their material.

That's all I've been listening to the past few days. Some shit went down and it really chilled me out, which it exceeds at doing. And I've got the version with the bonus disk Staircase Infinities, which I absolutely love.

I also find myself listening to it more than any other PT record. Very trippy and dream-like.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1612 on: January 15, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
UTD is by far my favorite Porcupine Tree album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1613 on: January 23, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »
Does anyone know if Steven has ever mentioned being a fan of Tom Waits? I was listening to Rain Dogs a few days ago, and caught this lyric, "Over the side to anyone who'll listen, And I've seen it all through the yellow windows of the evening train."

Just wondering if it was an intentional nod on Steven's part, or just a coincidence.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1614 on: January 23, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a nod. He makes a lot of random nods in his song titles.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1615 on: January 23, 2014, 09:49:17 PM »
It contained the word "train" so he had to use it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1616 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
:lol

Actually, Tom Waits writes a lot about trains too.... CONSPIRACY?!?!11!?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1617 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
Are they the same person? :omg:
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1618 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »

:omg:

Steven Wilson's next project, a collaboration with Tom Waits. The project name will be "Trains".

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1619 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »
And the cover will be this:

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1620 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »
UTD is by far my favorite Porcupine Tree album.

have you already posted thoughts about the re-mix with Gavin playing drums? i'm interested on your perspective, i guess mostly because i am also a huge fan of UTD and thought the new drums took more away than they added. it worked out really well when they redid The Sky Moves Sideways, but not for UTD, imo.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1622 on: January 24, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
How new is the remix?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1623 on: January 24, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
How new is the remix?

Not new at all.   2005
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1624 on: January 24, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »
Yeah, I have said since its release that the Up the Downstair remaster is a travesty.  Taking away the fake drums took away part of the charm of the album (as well as some great fills that Harrison did not play the same way), and Wilson re-recording some guitar parts was a huge mistake.  He sucked all of the life out of Burning Sky by redoing that big guitar riff.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1625 on: January 24, 2014, 10:27:46 PM »
I guess I've only heard that version then and I love it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1626 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
I'm glad I've heard both.   I will admit that some of the rest of the re-recording is not quite as nice as the original....but at the end of the day, I always despised that drum machine.   I thought Gavin's re-record was a phenomenal improvement.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1627 on: January 25, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »
I've only heard the reissue in full, but I've listened to a few songs in their original form and none of them (except maybe Synesthesia) sound as good without real drums IMO.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1628 on: January 25, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »
I don't think I've ever heard anything but the 2005 remix. Maybe Steven should've offered the original version on a bonus disc with the remix or something. Seems like a fair compromise.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1629 on: January 25, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
I have both the 2005 remix and the original mix. I like both versions, but I usually listen to the 2005 remix more.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: January 26, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »
Yeah, I have said since its release that the Up the Downstair remaster is a travesty.  Taking away the fake drums took away part of the charm of the album (as well as some great fills that Harrison did not play the same way), and Wilson re-recording some guitar parts was a huge mistake.  He sucked all of the life out of Burning Sky by redoing that big guitar riff.

looks like we're in the minority, unfortunately (at least on DTF). totally agreed about "Burning Sky" getting wrecked. i think what bugs me most about Gavin's drums is actually the mix — if it had a proper amount of reverb to fit with the rest of the mix, they wouldn't stick out so horribly compared to the original programming. i would like to think the reason SW didn't get him to play real drums for "The Sky Moves Sideways" title track is because nothing would fit better than the original ones (rather than a technical limitation of the old tapes), so it bugs me that he didn't recognize the same for UTD.

i also prefer the extended "Synesthesia" from Stars Die: The Delerium Years to the original and real drums versions. it needs the relaxing repetition and creepy intro.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: January 26, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
I used to hate the original mix of UTD especially since I listed to the remix UtD first. Over the years I hold the remix on par with the original, some songs like Fadeaway seemed to get an entirely new feel IMO however both versions are great. I love Gavin's little fills.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1632 on: January 26, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
I'm obviously in that minority as well, considering that OTSOL is still probably my favorite PT release. I don't mind technical and so-called 'fake' instruments. It is what it is meant to be. I really couldn't give a shit less that certain products of the album are of...a digital body faking to be real. The original release, to me, is superior in every way. REAL DRUMS! I don't give a shit...you like what you like. I don't fault anyone for liking the remaster more because quite frankly that's what it was created for; the people that care more about actual instruments than the sound itself and/or liking that sound more. I myself like the sound of the machine and I really couldn't give a fuck less what anyone else's opinion is of it.

It means fuck all to me that someone can play the exact same track that a machine does, but the fact that the sound itself has changed is the big difference to me. I heard the original first, and I will logically identify with that sound more than the remaster. Those that heard the remaster first will more than likely think it sounds 'better' or 'superior' to the original. Fucking great. It's still a useless little opinion; meaningful only to yourself. There's no better or worse in any case, especially in this one. It's so amazing that people will still debate over something SO fucking introverted. It's just sound...what sounds better to you might sound like shit to another. It's no different than anything else but because it's AN ACTUAL INSTRUMENT...for some reason that makes a difference to most.

Either way...they're both great, but I prefer the original, as I said, because I identify with it more, because I heard that one first and while I've heard the remaster, I still think that that original sounds better, to my own ear vaginas. Fuck anyone else's opinion that argues that point. Wooty. Fucking. Patooty. God damn humans... always arguing...always debating... over the most useless shit possible. Instead of simply accepting. Accept that another person thinks that one sound is better to THEMSELVES. Not that I'm arguing this point with anyone in particular HERE... but for the most part...the human populace...popupolice.... :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1633 on: January 26, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
TioJorge, tell us about your love for The Incident ;D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1634 on: January 26, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
 :censored :censored :censored :censored
 :P :-*

I actually really, really love I Drive The Hearse...but that's it.

RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1635 on: January 26, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
I thought The Incident was really good at first...but time has not really been kind to it.

I'm not as down on the "meh" stuff from it as TJ is...but I do agree that I Drive the Hearse is the greatest moment on the album.     I also love the title track...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1636 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
I'd probably say The Incident is my 4th favorite PT album.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1637 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
I also need to reiterate my love for Chloroform.

Chloroform, this is a song that I love very much.

There. It's reiterated.

I'm still drunk....urrrrrgh tomorrow is gonna SUUUUUUUUCK.

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1638 on: January 27, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
Colourflow In Mind is also a forgotten favorite...oh man, so dreamy. I really love this song. PT's back catalog and unreleased and/or b-sides are so awesomely awesome.

:heart :heart :heart :hefdaddy :hat :coolio

RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
I also need to reiterate my love for Chloroform.

Chloroform, this is a song that I love very much.

There. It's reiterated.

I'm still drunk....urrrrrgh tomorrow is gonna SUUUUUUUUCK.

I love Chloroform! One of my favorite PT songs. The drums remind me of Reflection by Tool.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1640 on: January 27, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
Most definitely! Also my favorite Tool song by far...well, the duo of Disposition/Reflection.

But yeah it's just as, if not more relaxing and entrancing.

RIP DTP.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: January 28, 2014, 05:38:46 AM »
I'm joining the Chloroform party, such a beautiful song.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1642 on: March 01, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
I never noticed how amazing Russia On Ice was until now.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1643 on: March 01, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
I'm obviously in that minority as well, considering that OTSOL is still probably my favorite PT release. I don't mind technical and so-called 'fake' instruments. It is what it is meant to be. I really couldn't give a shit less that certain products of the album are of...a digital body faking to be real. The original release, to me, is superior in every way. REAL DRUMS! I don't give a shit...you like what you like. I don't fault anyone for liking the remaster more because quite frankly that's what it was created for; the people that care more about actual instruments than the sound itself and/or liking that sound more. I myself like the sound of the machine and I really couldn't give a fuck less what anyone else's opinion is of it.

It means fuck all to me that someone can play the exact same track that a machine does, but the fact that the sound itself has changed is the big difference to me. I heard the original first, and I will logically identify with that sound more than the remaster. Those that heard the remaster first will more than likely think it sounds 'better' or 'superior' to the original. Fucking great. It's still a useless little opinion; meaningful only to yourself. There's no better or worse in any case, especially in this one. It's so amazing that people will still debate over something SO fucking introverted. It's just sound...what sounds better to you might sound like shit to another. It's no different than anything else but because it's AN ACTUAL INSTRUMENT...for some reason that makes a difference to most.

Either way...they're both great, but I prefer the original, as I said, because I identify with it more, because I heard that one first and while I've heard the remaster, I still think that that original sounds better, to my own ear vaginas. Fuck anyone else's opinion that argues that point. Wooty. Fucking. Patooty. God damn humans... always arguing...always debating... over the most useless shit possible. Instead of simply accepting. Accept that another person thinks that one sound is better to THEMSELVES. Not that I'm arguing this point with anyone in particular HERE... but for the most part...the human populace...popupolice.... :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

What you're missing is, real instruments, fake instruments, new version, old version, the debut sucks compared to the rest of PT's material. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1644 on: April 20, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
Most of you know that I'm not the biggest PT fan, but I'm listening to Signify right now, and it's perfect. Sadly, no other PT album comes close, but Signify is completely amazing, start to finish. Dark Matter :hefdaddy
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!