Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226693 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1540 on: August 08, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »
In Absentia
Deadwing
FOABP
(Nil Recurring)

The Incident
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1541 on: August 08, 2013, 07:53:53 AM »
Fear
Absentia
(Nil Recurring)

Deadwing

The Incident

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1542 on: August 08, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »
Fear
Absentia
(Nil Recurring)

Deadwing

The Incident

This is a good ranking. (i.e., the same as mine. :P)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1543 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:58 AM »
Fear
Nil Recurring
The Incident
In Absentia
Deadwing
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1544 on: August 08, 2013, 08:10:04 AM »
Deadwing
FOABP

Don't have the other two (yet).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1545 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
I had a chance to listen to "The Incident" and I think it's actually quite good.  I've only been through it one time, but the impression I get from it is that it's an album that really needs to be listened to as a whole.

Also, took a chance on Steven Wilson's latest disc "The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)" and I'm really digging that one too.   :tup

Hard to rank them right now.  I'll have to dust of In Absentia and some of the others I have. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1546 on: August 09, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Awesome. :tup :tup

Some of those short songs on The Incident (like Great Expectations and Kneel and Disconnect) are not ones you are gonna enjoy a lot if you have songs on random or shuffle, but in the context of the album, they are great.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: August 09, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty obvious after one spin.  It's definitely meant to be consumed as a whole.  But I can see where a few of the longer pieces would be cool on their own.

I'm putting In Absentia and Steven Wilson's new Raven blah blah blah album on my iPod now

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1548 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
I'm putting In Absentia and Steven Wilson's new Raven blah blah blah album on my iPod now

As long as you don't let him know :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1549 on: August 09, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1550 on: August 09, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
It'll be fine as long as you take a mellotron on a train. He'd like that.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1551 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
So at this point, if you guys had to make a one disc compilation of Steven's solo material, what would you have on it?

I'd definitely have Abandoner, Veneno Para Las Hadas, Deform to Form a Star, Postcard, Remainder the Black Dog, Index (Live), The Watchmaker, and The Raven That Refused to Sing.

Probably forgetting some...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1552 on: August 11, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
God dammit. Every time this thread gets bumped I have hope that something new is happening with the band, and it never is...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Nothing more to say...
« Reply #1553 on: August 11, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
:sad:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1554 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:57 AM »
The day SW stops enjoying making music that other bands made 40 years ago, there might very well be a new PT-album, but I believe his next project is another solo album again?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1555 on: August 12, 2013, 03:10:54 AM »
I really don't think Raven comes anywhere near like classic prog. GfD however sounded very King Crimson. And if it counts, Storm Corrosion sounds kind of like a less insane Comus (which would make sense since Akerfeldt has named two things after lines in Comus songs).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1556 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:26 AM »
Raven isn't THAT different to Grace (apart from having less of a jazz-influence and being more prog), but a song like Luminol has a strong Yes-vibe imo. I think the classic prog vibe is there in a few other songs as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: August 12, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
God dammit. Every time this thread gets bumped I have hope that something new is happening with the band, and it never is...

That's how I used to feel, now I'm just ready for album rankings lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1558 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:27 AM »
So at this point, if you guys had to make a one disc compilation of Steven's solo material, what would you have on it?
I'd leave that discussion to this thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23768.0

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1559 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:05 AM »
I'd leave that discussion to this thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23768.0
Thanks!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1560 on: August 12, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
Raven isn't THAT different to Grace (apart from having less of a jazz-influence and being more prog), but a song like Luminol has a strong Yes-vibe imo. I think the classic prog vibe is there in a few other songs as well.
I don't know. I guess I don't get the same vibe, heh. Feels quite modern to me. I do get the Yes vibe on the opening vocals to Luminol though.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: August 12, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »

As long as you don't let him know :lol

I know he's pretty negative on the digital music scene.  Truth is, though, I wouldn't have purchased The Raven album if it were not available as a $7.99 download from Amazon.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1562 on: August 12, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »
I don't think he's as much down on the digital music scene as he is sad that the idea of listening to an album from start to finish seems to be a lost art and oblivious to the younger generation.  I think he rails against iPods because he's against the whole idea of listening to music on a constant shuffle, him being an artist who really takes the time and effort to craft an album, especially in regards to flow and running order.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1563 on: August 12, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
I used to agree with SW in his rants, but in the last 3-4 years, the rants have stayed pretty much the same, and it just feels old by now. I mean sure, a lot of people listen to individual songs, but just because you listen on an mp3-player or an ipod, doesn't mean you CAN'T listen to the album in full.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1564 on: August 12, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
Okay, but does he still do those rants?  It seemed like he went through that phase when he was on about it - around the time of Fear of a Blank Planet - but I can't remember the last time I saw an interview where he ranted about it.  And besides, they never seemed like rants, but more like sadness that the younger generation is all about having a constant shuffle of tunes on their iPod instead of enjoying albums as wholes.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1565 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:33 PM »
Okay, but does he still do those rants?  It seemed like he went through that phase when he was on about it - around the time of Fear of a Blank Planet - but I can't remember the last time I saw an interview where he ranted about it.  And besides, they never seemed like rants, but more like sadness that the younger generation is all about having a constant shuffle of tunes on their iPod instead of enjoying albums as wholes.
I also haven't seen too many rants in recent interviews.

Also, he always got asked by interviewers about his iPod stance/how he felt about the "album listening experience" and didn't really seem to bring it up on his own too often (except for the Insurgentes documentary, of course).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: August 12, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
I don't think he's as much down on the digital music scene as he is sad that the idea of listening to an album from start to finish seems to be a lost art and oblivious to the younger generation.  I think he rails against iPods because he's against the whole idea of listening to music on a constant shuffle, him being an artist who really takes the time and effort to craft an album, especially in regards to flow and running order.

While I agree that there are many albums out there that deserve to be listened from start to finish, there are also many that just have a few great songs. I like the option of choosing to buy those songs versus an album of filler.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1567 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
I've seen less and less interviews with him since he disbanded PT or whatever, but he does still get questions on the topic from time to time, and the view is pretty much the same. I mean, you can sit around and complain about it, or do something instead. If you want people to listen to your album all the way through today, just make sure to make albums that are good enough to be played that way. I mean, that's all you can do really. And again, I think SW puts his energy into making "album"-albums, and I think it pays off. He might have a couple of shallow fans who only listens to a few select songs on their iPod, but if anything, he has a really devoted fanbase who really gives his music the time and attention that he wants himself.

There are big music fans and there are shallow music fans who might scrape the surface but don't care to go deeper. Either way you listen to music, there is no right or wrong. But he has a lot of big music fans, so why even care about the people who listen to songs, and won't most likely pay for the music anyway? :P If that makes any sense.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1568 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:32 PM »
I absorb and listen to music in a completely different way than how Wilson seems to. I have a very visual mind so a lot of songs are like individual scenes to me. Sometimes I can group some together by different bands to create a storyline for a movie idea or TV show idea and that excites my brain. I still listen to albums in full for those experiences but I get much more pleasure out of expanding my own creativity through what could seem like a random collection of songs during a short period of time. I have lists of partial and fully fleshed out visual scenes and ideas that came to my head by just listening to certain individual songs by random chance and at the right time.

Offline convrge

« Reply #1569 on: August 27, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
50% of my music listening is on my iPhone and I've been playing full albums from start to finish. It's not like you can't do that...

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1570 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:36 AM »
50% of my music listening is on my iPhone and I've been playing full albums from start to finish. It's not like you can't do that...

Pretty much this. Although it's more like 70% CDs, 30% phone for me.

EDIT: New rankings (going to check out The Incident next week, I think):

Deadwing / FOABP (can't decide)
Lightbulb Sun

Stupid Dream (the first two songs are great, some others are pretty good, but overall I don't really like it that much)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:50:08 AM by aprilethereal »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1571 on: August 28, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »
Stupid Dream was a big time "grower" for me.   That album got pulled out once every couple of months for a year before I suddenly fell in love with it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Millais

« Reply #1572 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:08 AM »
Never really gave Nil Recurring much of a chance when I was listening to PT as I always put their other albums ahead in the order.

Slowly becoming one of my favourite PT releases. So impressive.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1573 on: October 16, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
What Happens Now  :heart :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1574 on: October 22, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
Feel So Low has become a lol song for me. I can't remember the context, but I remember Alex or someone ranting about it here in full force, especially the part at the end when Steven Wilson just says, "Thanks." Now whenever I hear that line I can't help but lol. THANKS ALEX

Oh right, I forgot he was banned. Oh well.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: