Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226712 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1470 on: August 02, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
Deadwing
FOABP

Lightbulb Sun / Stupid Dream (only listened to them once yet).

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1471 on: August 02, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
I've always liked the eclectic nature of Stupid Dream. There's also something not as serious in those earlier albums that make them more of a lighthearted listen and that's not trying to be a slight at the later albums at all.
Agreed.

One thing that I love about Stupid Dream is Theo Travis' guest appearances. Even though he only played on three songs, his contributions were perfect for them.
Yeah, dat atmospheric section of Don't Hate Me. :hefdaddy

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1472 on: August 04, 2013, 03:17:22 AM »
OMG ranking time?! It's been so long!  :laugh:

Signify
Up The Downstair
Deadwing
(The Raven that Refused to Sing)
Lightbulb Sun
Fear of a Blank Planet
In Absentia / (Insurgentes)
Stupid Dream
The Sky Moves Sideways
On the Sunday of Life
(Grace For Drowning)
The Incident
Good god. You can't possibly be serious.  :facepalm:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1473 on: August 04, 2013, 03:40:03 AM »
Eh, The Incident would be pretty far down on my list as well. I've never actually tried to give them a serious ranking, though.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1474 on: August 04, 2013, 05:35:22 AM »
Fear of a Blank Planet
Signify
Stupid Dream
--
In Absentia
Deadwing
Lightbulb Sun
--
Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
--
The Incident
--
On the Sunday of Life

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1475 on: August 04, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
Deadwing
Signify
The Sky Moves Sideways
(The Raven That Refused To Sing)
--
Stupid Dream
Fear Of A Blank Planet
(Grace For Drowning)
In Absentia
Lightbulb Sun
(Insurgentes)
--
Up The Downstair
On The Sunday Of Life
--
The Incident

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1476 on: August 04, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »
It would be so amazing if one day the news of a new PT record would come. I agree that The Incident isn't all that though. However, seeimg them live doing the whole record was quite the experienxe.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1477 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:06 AM »
It would be so amazing if one day the news of a new PT record would come. I agree that The Incident isn't all that though. However, seeimg them live doing the whole record was quite the experienxe.

I'm sure SW is happy with his solo projects right now, but I think there's still a small chance that there will be a PT "comeback" sometime in the future. Which would be amazing, as you said.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1478 on: August 04, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »

I'm sure SW is happy with his solo projects right now, but I think there's still a small chance that there will be a PT "comeback" sometime in the future. Which would be amazing, as you said.

Oh hell yeah, and he's rightfully happy with that. I love his solo work and the live shows. Yesterday I listened to The Raven record while being on Ibiza, watching the sunset. It's still my favorite record of the year. I love it to death man.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »
Ranking time for me!

-In Absentia
- Stupid Dream
- (The Raven that Refused to Sing)
- (Insurgentes)
- The Incident
- Fear of a Blank Planet
- Lightbulb Sun
- Deadwing
- Signify
- Up The Downstair
- (Grace For Drowning)
- The Sky Moves Sideways
- On the Sunday of Life

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1480 on: August 04, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »
If we put in albums from other projects, my ranking would look something like this:

(Grace For Drowning)
Fear of a Blank Planet
(Insurgentes)
(Blackfield)
Signify
Stupid Dream
--
In Absentia
Deadwing
(Blackfield II)
Lightbulb Sun
(The Raven That Refused to Sing)
--
(Welcome to my DNA)
Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
--
The Incident
--
On the Sunday of Life

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: August 04, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
Eh, The Incident would be pretty far down on my list as well. I've never actually tried to give them a serious ranking, though.
My issue is that some people are putting it below On the Sunday of Life, which is absolutely ridiculous.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1482 on: August 04, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »
I dunno. On the Sunday of Life has a couple of great songs. Nostalgia Factory, Radioactive Toy, It Will Rain For a Million Years, Nine Cats. I don't really think The Incident has any super-standout songs, but as a whole it's marginally better for me. Not by much though.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »
Blind House? Great Expectations? The Incident? Time Flies? Octane Twisted? I Drive the Hearse? Remember Me Lover?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1484 on: August 04, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
I can slightly agree on Time Flies and I Drive the Hearse maybe. I dunno, most of The Incident is very average for me. Not necessarily bad, but a song-cycle in 50 minutes where the time kinda just flies by and nothing really sticks out either positively or negatively. It's listenable I guess, where some songs on OTSOL might not be as friendly to the ears.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1485 on: August 04, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »
I can slightly agree on Time Flies and I Drive the Hearse maybe. I dunno, most of The Incident is very average for me. Not necessarily bad, but a song-cycle in 50 minutes where the time kinda just flies by and nothing really sticks out either positively or negatively. It's listenable I guess, where some songs on OTSOL might not be as friendly to the ears.

Surely this was intentional.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1486 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
I think it's ridiculous that you think it's ridiculous, Ulti. Why do you give a shit? I mean, I'm only saying this because I'm probably the only person who genuinely puts OTSOL above not only TI, which is smack dab in the shitter for me, but also above a couple other albums, given my mood (a few occasions I've been addicted enough to the album to put it first, which still rings true from time to time...then again I don't do rankings anymore because they change every fucking day). I think the album is superb and much more enjoyable than TI. I'd ask why that's so hard to wrap your mind around, but then again I want to murder innocent christian children whenever I hear sappy country songs so...

Opinions and assholes. :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1487 on: August 04, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
(The Raven That Refused to Sing)
Stupid Dream
The Sky Moves Sideways
(Grace For Drowning)
Signify
Fear of a Blank Planet (Used to be my second least favourite. Funny how things change.)
In Absentia
Deadwing
Up the Downstair (And used to be my second favourite. Another big change.)
(Insurgentes)
Lightbulb Sun
On the Sunday of Life
The Incident

Don't feel like doing other projects. Would be too hard.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:12 AM »
I think it's ridiculous that you think it's ridiculous, Ulti. Why do you give a shit? I mean, I'm only saying this because I'm probably the only person who genuinely puts OTSOL above not only TI, which is smack dab in the shitter for me, but also above a couple other albums, given my mood (a few occasions I've been addicted enough to the album to put it first, which still rings true from time to time...then again I don't do rankings anymore because they change every fucking day). I think the album is superb and much more enjoyable than TI. I'd ask why that's so hard to wrap your mind around, but then again I want to murder innocent christian children whenever I hear sappy country songs so...

I mean, sure, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I just find it completely unbelievable that someone could honestly place an album of derivative psychedelic musical drivel made by some loopy British nutter in his basement over a fully-realized album with coherent flow and ideas.

I'm not denying your right to an opinion, I'm just saying you're wrong.  :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1489 on: August 05, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
Because OtSoL is at least fun to listen to in it's own way. The Incident is mostly boring save for a few songs and moments. :P That and OtSoL has a few songs I actually love (The Nostalgia Factory, Radioactive Toy, Nine Cats being really great).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1490 on: August 05, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
The Incident has a lot of flaws, but the big one was that it felt pretty uninspired. If you look at the band's career, and how everything was leading up to The Incident, it's a bit of a shame. The previous albums had something special, but The Incident was a rehash of old ideas, and the most generic heaviness in terms of PT trying to be Djent or sounding like Meshuggah. In the end the album had some enjoyable stuff, it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't what everyone hoped for.

The bigger the ambition, the harder you will fall. And I think there are several reasons as for why people felt a bit lukewarm towards The Incident. First off you had the song-cycle concept which felt very epic, and one of those things "either they pull it off, or they won't". Then you have the information about the album before it came out, "its going to have sounds from all PT-albums, even the first" which gave people a lot of hope, because taking the best from all eras of PT sounded really interesting.

In the end it was just a decent album. In recent interviews, even Steven himself has given a vibe that he isn't completely happy with how it turned out, and maybe, just maybe that's the small reason of why PT might return. I don't think they will personally, because PT feels completely dead, but if there is anything that might be a reason for a PT-return, it would be so that they don't let The Incident be the final chapter of a great band. Again, it's not a horrible album, but it's still the last memory people will have of them.

And I probably agree that OTSOL is a more "fun" album to listen to, even though Incident has higher lows. On the other hand, those two albums shouldn't even need to be compared in the first place, given the fact that OTSOL was shit SW recorded at home and just goofing around. The fact that people even compare them says a lot about the general opinion on The Incident.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1491 on: August 05, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
OMG ranking time?! It's been so long!  :laugh:

Signify
Up The Downstair
Deadwing
(The Raven that Refused to Sing)
Lightbulb Sun
Fear of a Blank Planet
In Absentia / (Insurgentes)
Stupid Dream
The Sky Moves Sideways
On the Sunday of Life
(Grace For Drowning)
The Incident
Good god. You can't possibly be serious.  :facepalm:
Yes I can.

I've listened to The Incident way too much to try and get into it and I just can't.  Even it's best songs are nothing more than mid tier PT. I would argue that "The Incident" is the only legitimately great song on the album in that it feels new and a bit unique.

I will never argue that OTSoL is a great album, but it's fun and interesting and never boring. Plus it has "Radioactive Toy" which is better than all of The Incident just by itself.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1492 on: August 05, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »

I mean, sure, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I just find it completely unbelievable that someone could honestly place an album of derivative psychedelic musical drivel made by some loopy British nutter in his basement over a fully-realized album with coherent flow and ideas.

I'm not denying your right to an opinion, I'm just saying you're wrong.  :P

:angel:

But srs again, I actually find the fact that it was created by a young adult who, for all intents and purposes, was simply fucking around and I actually get something out of it; not only on a musical level, but lyrical as well (And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun is perhaps my favorite PT song...again...this changes daily...but today it is). Granted, I know, most of it is indeed drivel and is pointless. But to me, the pointlessness is more intriguing than any of the 'deep' points in The Incident.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1493 on: August 05, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »
So, anyway, I have recently revisited this band after having briefly been sort of obsessed with them for a while and then losing interest.

So, last week I pulled out "Deadwing" and gave it a couple of full spins for the first time since around when it came out.

I was pretty blown away by it!   :eek

So, today I bought "Fear of a Blank Planet" for the hell of it.   

Seems like most people here rank "The Incident" pretty low?  Should I bother with that one?

How about Steven Wilson's solo stuff?  "Grace For Drowning" seems to get a lot of positive reviews on Amazon.com

What does the forum think of that one?

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1494 on: August 05, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
GfD is very good, and very moody, so if you're a King Crimson fan, you'll probably love it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

« Reply #1495 on: August 05, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
I would wait on GfD personally, unless you're big King Crimson fan and even that might not guarantee that you'll enjoy it. I'd pick up The Raven That Refused To Sing instead. It's a great album.

The Incident might actually be logical next step and coming to it fresh, without the luggage of their back catalog might give you a fresher take on it than some of us. But, I'd say hold off and get In Absentia next instead. It's generally much more highly regarded than The Incident and it's in the same 'era' as Deadwing.

PT's other releases have much different sounds and styles than Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1496 on: August 05, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
Grace For Drowning is tremendous. Buy it immediately.

Also, In Absentia is really good, if you don't already have it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1497 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
Personally I think GFD is the best album Wilson made. It is heavily influenced by 70's prog rock like King Crimson though, so take that into consideration if you want to buy it or not.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1498 on: August 05, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
Barry, given what I know about you and your tastes, I think you'd dig The Raven That Refused to Sing way more than Grace for Drowning since, the former is not only more rocking, but the latter has a bunch of shorter songs I know you'd love to call filler. :lol  Personally, I love 'em, but I know you won't. 

I think you'd like a lot of The Incident since it really rocks hard at times, too.  I think The Blind House and Bonnie the Cat would be right up your alley. :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
The Incident has a lot of flaws, but the big one was that it felt pretty uninspired. If you look at the band's career . . . .

I for the most part agree with you but there were some incredible songs on TI. Blind House was amazing as was Kneel And Disconnect (I wish so much this song was longer), Flicker is easily in my top 5 PT songs as well but most of the others are largely forgettable.

Alright guys, top 5 PT songs, lets seem them:

1. Fadeaway
2. Buying New Soul
3. Mellotron Scratch
4. Prodigal
5. Flicker
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:52:50 AM by ReaperKK »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1500 on: August 05, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
Mine changed a bit from my top 50:

1. Dark Matter
2. The Sky Moves Sideways
3. Mellotron Scratch
4. Sleep Together
5. Don't Hate Me

EDIT: Scratch that, my #5 is actually Heartattack in a Layby. Don't Hate Me is 6th.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1501 on: August 05, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
Off the top of my head in no particular order

Shesmovedon
Heartattack in a Layby
Anesthetize
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
The Start of Something Beautiful
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #1502 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Radioactive Toy
Russia On Ice
Sleep Together
Normal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1503 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
Not sure I could do albums....but I'll try top 5 songs.

1. Heartattack in a Layby
2. Start of Something Beautiful
3. Trains
4. Fear of a Blank Planet
5. Hatesong

Tomorrow, I could probably list 5 completely different songs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1504 on: August 05, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »

Tomorrow, I could probably list 5 completely different songs.

Lol same here. Or at least 3 of them would be different
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"