Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226784 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1435 on: July 30, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
Even Arriving Somewhere But Not Here?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1436 on: July 30, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
I always thought Deadwing was a very forgettable album. It has a couple of my favorite songs on there (Glass Arm Shattering, Mellotron Scratch) but the rest of the album is a very big meh.

Now, this is a controversial opinion.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1437 on: July 30, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
Yeah I never though Deadwing was THAT great. It's okay but there are better albums.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1438 on: July 30, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »
I used to think the world of Porcupine Tree, but as I left Progressive music behind me a bit more to dive into other genres, that feeling of PT being one of the most special bands in the world has really vanished. They still have a lot of good stuff, but I used to think albums like Deadwing, In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun were amazing, but now it's pretty much just "good" albums. I still think FOABP holds up really well, but most of their other albums has some pretty average songs (not bad, but not amazing), even though there's still a lot of amazing stuff as well.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1439 on: July 30, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
Same, though if stuff like Phase I/II or Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape comes on shuffle I almost always need to listen to it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1440 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
I used to think the world of Porcupine Tree, but as I left Progressive music behind me a bit more to dive into other genres, that feeling of PT being one of the most special bands in the world has really vanished. They still have a lot of good stuff, but I used to think albums like Deadwing, In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun were amazing, but now it's pretty much just "good" albums. I still think FOABP holds up really well, but most of their other albums has some pretty average songs (not bad, but not amazing), even though there's still a lot of amazing stuff as well.
Same, I think FOABP is the only truly amazing thing they've done, and I'm using that word with reservation. It's funny, though, how we can think a band is incredibly at one point and later think of them as just OK.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1441 on: July 30, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »
It's interesting but probably not uncommon if you tend to listen to a lot of different music styles.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1442 on: July 30, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
The above opinion is pretty much how I feel about DT today, but my love for PT has not really faded at all  :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1443 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Yeah I'm moving away from the prog world a bit but my love for PT hasn't faded even a bit.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: July 30, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
Yeah I'm moving away from the prog world a bit but my love for PT hasn't faded even a bit.

I've moved far away from the prog world a long time ago but PT is still the only, more recent prog band I listen to. Hard to explain why I like them so much but I think it's because the music is, for lack of a better term, more relatable than say DT's music. PT's songs come off as a completely thought, whereas I feel like a lot of other prog songs (at least in my collection) are pieced together.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1445 on: July 30, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
Yeah I never though Deadwing was THAT great. It's okay but there are better albums.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1446 on: July 31, 2013, 01:47:21 AM »
Finished my second listen about 30 mintutes ago, I love it :P :lol

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #1447 on: August 01, 2013, 05:44:31 AM »
I still have fond memories of PT but can't stand Steven Wilson as a person since he lost interest in PT, and his distancing himself from PT and his output post PT hasn't interested me in the slightest, particularly what I perceive to be his subtle antagonism towards anything PT nowadays. At this stage I would actually prefer more PT than anything SW does on his own. In my opinion the other members of PT were just as vital as SW to the overall chemistry and output of the band, and I am really turned off by the image, style, content and musicians SW is now moving forwards with.
I recognize that this opinion of mine is definitely in the minority on these forums, and that to post anything other than praise for SW's latest solo releases is ignored.
I will say that Drive Home is a song that I very much enjoyed :)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1448 on: August 01, 2013, 05:55:37 AM »
I haven't noticed Steven express any kind of antagonism towards PT; if anything, he seemed really proud of Stupid Dream, In Absentia and FOABP in some interview where he was looking back on his career.

I'd love to get a new PT album, but Steven does what he wants and I hope he won't force himself to make new PT music if he isn't in the right state of mind. TRTRTS is a good album and a huge improvement over Grace for Drowning, which I find a bit boring, so I'm not concerned about the future of his career.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1449 on: August 01, 2013, 06:08:04 AM »
^^ this. Except I haven't heard GFD.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1450 on: August 01, 2013, 06:31:26 AM »
Raven was a bit more "meh", but GFD and Insurgentes are possibly the two best albums he made. (GFD being the best without a doubt)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1451 on: August 01, 2013, 07:25:23 AM »
Heh, for me Raven absolutely demolishes GFD and Insurgentes and is possibly better than the whole PT discog.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1452 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:11 AM »
I'd put Raven up there at the top. Probably not THE top but it's up there. GFD would be somewhere near the bottom and Insurgentes is sitting smack in the middle.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1453 on: August 01, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
I haven't heard The Raven, but Grace For Drowning is freaking incredible.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1454 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »

you need to remedy this
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1455 on: August 01, 2013, 11:09:57 AM »
I may not think PT is the best thing since sliced bread anymore, but hey, Deadwing is a solid album. It passes the 35th listen test for me.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1456 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »

Grace for Drowning is one of my top 10 albums of all time, Raven didn't quite make it that high but it's still an amazing album. Marco Minnemann's drumming is other-wordly.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1457 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
Just a little post to say I just "got" the title of this thread. :D

As you were...

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1458 on: August 01, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

im pretty sure zantera does this with all of zantera's "favorite" bands. wont be long before the likes of amplifier and anathema will be outside zantera's top 20 "favorite" bands. little more than a year ago, the smashing pumpkins catapulted to zantera's top 3 or some isht, and i wouldnt be surprised if theyre a distant memory within another year or so.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1459 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »

im pretty sure zantera does this with all of zantera's "favorite" bands. wont be long before the likes of amplifier and anathema will be outside zantera's top 20 "favorite" bands. little more than a year ago, the smashing pumpkins catapulted to zantera's top 3 or some isht, and i wouldnt be surprised if theyre a distant memory within another year or so.

Hahaha, okay, so it's not just me who noticed that.  :lol :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1460 on: August 01, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »

The Smashing Pumpkins are still in my top3! :) It happens with a few bands that I kinda loose interest or after discovering more music, I change perspective or something, but many bands stay high for me as well. Anathema has something that makes them pretty unique, at least the earlier albums like Judgement where the mood is very special. I really loved the latest Amplifier (would say it's my favorite album by them), so no real change there either.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1461 on: August 01, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
Just a little post to say I just "got" the title of this thread. :D

As you were...

And his username is still misspelled, even after I'm pretty sure he was banned.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1462 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
Lightbulb Sun
The Incident
Deadwing
The Sky Moves Sideways
Signify
Fear of a Blank Planet
Up the Downstair
In Absentia
Stupid Dream
On the Sunday of Life...

Controversial, I know. Stupid Dream and In Absentia are low, while the Incident is way high. I'll never understand the hate for The Incident. I love it to death. Keep in mind, all these (excluding OTSOL...) are amazing. It's really hard to rank Porcupine Tree albums, as they have such a consistent discography.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1463 on: August 01, 2013, 08:00:43 PM »
Going to attempt to do this:

In Absentia
Lightbulb Sun
Stupid Dream
Signify
Deadwing
Fear of a Blank Planet
The Incident
The Sky Moves Sideways
Up The Downstair
On the Sunday of Life

Signify and Deadwing are pretty much interchangeable, though I think I'm leaning more towards Signify.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1464 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
Up The Downstair

the rest

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1465 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
I admittedly have never been able to get into Stupid Dream. Don't know what it is, I think it had some songs I enjoyed but I can't remember them for the life of me. Kind of like how I am with Deadwing, but I at least remember those tracks.

Recordings too, for that matter.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1466 on: August 01, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »
I only have three PT albums, In Absentia, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and The Incident. Of those, my ranking would be this:

FOAPB
IA
TI

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1467 on: August 01, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
I've always liked the eclectic nature of Stupid Dream. There's also something not as serious in those earlier albums that make them more of a lighthearted listen and that's not trying to be a slight at the later albums at all.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1468 on: August 01, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
I've always liked the eclectic nature of Stupid Dream. There's also something not as serious in those earlier albums that make them more of a lighthearted listen and that's not trying to be a slight at the later albums at all.
Agreed.

One thing that I love about Stupid Dream is Theo Travis' guest appearances. Even though he only played on three songs, his contributions were perfect for them.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1469 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
OMG ranking time?! It's been so long!  :laugh:

Signify
Up The Downstair
Deadwing
(The Raven that Refused to Sing)
Lightbulb Sun
Fear of a Blank Planet