Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226690 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1365 on: July 27, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
I don't listen much to PT anymore, but FOABP will probably always be my favorite. There's a lot of very solid albums after that too.

Ummm...ya.   Exactly ONE of them.  :angel:  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1366 on: July 27, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1367 on: July 27, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »
Deadwing's one of those albums where I keep forgetting how much I like it because I listen to the other post-Stupid Dream albums so much more. But I revisited it a few weeks back and gained a little mini-obsession with Open Car. It's funny how you can hear a song so many times but once in a while, it will just hit you in a way you wouldn't expect.
Open Car is a fucking awesome song. Sure there's better songs, but it's utterly fantastic. Love the chorus to death.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1368 on: July 27, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »
Out of interest: can you tell me something about the pre-Stupid Dream material? I know what kind of "sound" their later albums and the SD/LBS era have, but what about the early ones? And which one(s) of those do you recommend?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1369 on: July 27, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
A lot of electronic elements.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1370 on: July 27, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
All of them but OTSOL. You don't really NEED to hear that one, but at least listen to Nine Cats and Radioactive Toy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1371 on: July 27, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »
Pink Floyd meets Electornic meets Tape-experiments meets...a crap-ton of things that were influencing SW in the late 80's/early 90's.

I'd say, after you've digested everything from SD-onward, work your way backwards starting with Signify, which was truly their first full-band effort and less of an SW-with-guests under the moniker of Porcupine Tree. Then again, PT's first "album" was mostly SW anyway, but he still counts it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1372 on: July 27, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
Lately I've been giving Stupid Dream more of a chance that I previously had; it's really clicking now. Signify though...I dunno, I don't like his spacey psychedelic phase.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1373 on: July 27, 2013, 10:28:57 PM »
Alright, thanks for the information, I think I'll give In Absentia and The Incident a try before I move on to the early stuff.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1374 on: July 27, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
Deadwing's one of those albums where I keep forgetting how much I like it because I listen to the other post-Stupid Dream albums so much more. But I revisited it a few weeks back and gained a little mini-obsession with Open Car. It's funny how you can hear a song so many times but once in a while, it will just hit you in a way you wouldn't expect.
Open Car is a fucking awesome song. Sure there's better songs, but it's utterly fantastic. Love the chorus to death.

It's the way that "Being(?) with you is Hell" line hits that sealed it for me. Love that.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1375 on: July 27, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
Lately I've been giving Stupid Dream more of a chance that I previously had; it's really clicking now. Signify though...I dunno, I don't like his spacey psychedelic phase.

Their Pre-SD era took me awhile, too, to get used to. I've always enjoyed The Sky Moves Sideways the most out of their first 4 studio albums. I also happen to listen to these albums with their "companion" LPs/EPs as well...
On The Sunday Of Life + Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape
Up The Downstair + Staircase Infinities
Signify + Insignificance + Metanoia

There's just so much material that DIDN'T make the early albums that I usually lump those companion albums with their related studio albums to get the full experience of their earlier (and sometimes later) material.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1376 on: July 27, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
Here we go again (out of the ones I actually have, anyway):

Deadwing
Stupid Dream
In Absentia
Lightbulb Sun
Fear of a Blank Planet
The Incident
The Sky Moves Sideways
Signify

I know I'm missing a LOT.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1377 on: July 27, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »
What exactly is the problem with The Incident that it's so unpopular?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1378 on: July 27, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
The Incident is my first PT album, so I do love it, but from what I gather, most longtime fans were tiring of the "metal" angle that PT had been doing during the last decade, and TI wasn't really doing anything to set itself apart from previous releases. Combine that with Time Flies sounding more like a rip-off of Pink Floyd songs than an homage and it's a so-so album for a lot of people.

Like I said, though, I really do love it. Disc 2 not so much, but yeah...
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1379 on: July 27, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
For me, at least, it had the misfortune of following up Fear OF A Blank Planet, one of my favorite albums.

I've grown to appreciate it a bit more, but it feels just a bit uninspired. I know that's just a matter of opinion, but I think it has some credence, with Steven putting PT on hold following it.

But, that's just my opinion. It's quite a good album, just not really on par with their best works.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1380 on: July 27, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
Deadwing
Fear
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
Signify

Incident

I haven't listened to anything pre - Signify enough to rate
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: July 27, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »
Deadwing
Fear of a Blank Planet
In Absentia
The Incident
Lightbulb Sun
Stupid Dream
Signify
Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
On the Sunday of Life
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1382 on: July 27, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
It will more than likely be universally disagreed with, but On The Sunday of Life is a must-listen if you want to experience what Wilson expanded upon with and how PT gets its truly psychedelic start. Duffy's lyrics are among the most creative and insightful lyrics I've ever had the pleasure of listening to and while the music is highly inconsistent, it's one of the things I love about it. Certainly one of the most diverse albums in existence; I really love most of the tracks. But again, I'm pretty much the only one with that opinion, which is fine; but anyone starting out with PT should really at least give it a shot and/or force yourself to listen to it if only for the experience if the music itself isn't your thing. It's a trip.

I personally thought The Incident was bland, boring, repetitive and highly drawn out. Not only was I tiring of the metal aspect of PT by the point TI was released, but the whole 'song cycle' (or for that matter, 'concept albums') pushed me over the edge. I really cannot stand most of the album and it truly pains me to admit that every time because I haven't disliked a single thing from Wilson and company; but that album is one glaring exception. I've given it many chances and time after time I have to admit that it's simply not for me. Some great moments, but few and far between and the fact that I feel as if I have to listen to the whole damn thing lest each song feel out of place and random is a huge turn-off. That is one of the reasons why I dislike most concept albums. I like to be able to pick and chose a song to listen to at a moments notice, and that's very difficult to do with a concept album, let alone a huge 'song cycle'. I do really love the title track and The Seance though. That's...about it...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1383 on: July 27, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »
I've grown to appreciate it a bit more, but it feels just a bit uninspired. I know that's just a matter of opinion, but I think it has some credence, with Steven putting PT on hold following it.

But, that's just my opinion. It's quite a good album, just not really on par with their best works.

this is pretty much how I feel about The Incident as well.  Uninspired seems to be the best descriptor I can put on it, even though it is quite good in places.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1384 on: July 27, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »
Perfect word to use... It does feel absolutely uninspired.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1385 on: July 28, 2013, 12:16:41 AM »
Yes it does feel uninspired. And it only has maybe 2 great tracks (Time Flies and Remember Me Lover) in the many tracks on it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1386 on: July 28, 2013, 12:33:44 AM »
Hm, your avatar ;D
I took it from this video as a kind of compromise, because this pic looked funnier than the Signify one and someone was using the original In Absentia cover here, so I thought the Photoshopeth'd version might not look different enough when it's so small.

Regarding the early stuff, I haven't heard OTSOL, but Up the Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways are awesome and Signify has a lot of great songs, although some filler tracks make it a bit weaker than the aforementioned two albums.

"Uninspired" is a good adjective to describe The Incident. It doesn't offer anything new and the previous three albums did the same things better. The first disc is also broken down to so many short tracks that don't work when listened to on their own and even as part of the album they are really meh. The Incident is easily the weakest PT album I've heard and it was a smart decision to take a break afterwards, although I think PT could come back now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:47:59 AM by ? »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: July 28, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »
I like pretty much everything on The Incident except Flicker and Black Dahlia.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1388 on: July 28, 2013, 01:33:07 AM »
this video

Some of those I hadn't seen before, amazing stuff :lol :lol

And one of my favourite Opeth songs as well :metal

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1389 on: July 28, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »

Good gawd this.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1390 on: July 28, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »
I highly recommend Signify if we're talking pre-Stupid Dream material. Second best PT-album imo, and has some really brilliant tunes, and their best song. (Dark Matter) Up the Downstair is another really great album, and The Sky Moves Sideways feels very Pink Floyd inspired, and is also really good.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1391 on: July 28, 2013, 05:26:22 AM »
The Incident is my first PT album, so I do love it, but from what I gather, most longtime fans were tiring of the "metal" angle that PT had been doing during the last decade, and TI wasn't really doing anything to set itself apart from previous releases. Combine that with Time Flies sounding more like a rip-off of Pink Floyd songs than an homage and it's a so-so album for a lot of people.

Like I said, though, I really do love it. Disc 2 not so much, but yeah...

Actually Time Flies is the only track I like off that album, apart from Kneel and Disconnect. I just found it was OK but there was nothing standout about it. Thinking back, I did grade it too harshly; it should at least be above FoaBP.

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #1392 on: July 28, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »

Good gawd this.

This, but I love Black Dahlia; it's probably one of my favourites from the album. Not a huge fan of Flicker.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1393 on: July 28, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »
Thinking back, I did grade it too harshly; it should at least be above FoaBP.

What's not to like about FOABP?

Couldn't wait till next week so I've started listening to Deadwing on Spotify. Sounds excellent so far (NP: Mellotron Scratch).

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1394 on: July 28, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »

Couldn't wait till next week so I've started listening to Deadwing on Spotify. Sounds excellent so far (NP: Mellotron Scratch).

It's a very boring album. Some nice melodies here and there, but nothing that sticks. The first half of Anesthetize is the only thing I can stand to listen to anymore.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1395 on: July 28, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
This is the correct opinion.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1396 on: July 28, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »

It's a very boring album. Some nice melodies here and there, but nothing that sticks. The first half of Anesthetize is the only thing I can stand to listen to anymore.

That's really interesting. Apart from some parts in Sleep Together, I think it's exceptional.
Of course I can't really compare it to other PT albums (yet).

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1397 on: July 28, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
Oh snap forgot In Absentia in my rating... it goes up just under Fear...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1398 on: July 28, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
I see nothing wrong with FOABP. It's pretty much a flawless album in my eyes.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1399 on: July 28, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »
The Incident > Fear of a Blank Planet.

That's right.  Both are great, but The Incident is just a little bit better.