Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226689 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1330 on: June 05, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »
I'm finally getting into PT big time. I've always known some songs and appreciated them for what they were, but over the last week, In Absentia has clicked with me in a way that it never did before. Blackest Eyes, Lips of Ashes, Heartattack in a Layby, The Creator Has a Mastertape, Strip the Soul, Collapse the Light into Earth = :hefdaddy.

I guess this means revisiting the albums that I've previously known (Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet) and branching out into their older stuff. Feels good!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1331 on: June 05, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
Great to hear man, enjoy the ride!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1332 on: June 06, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1333 on: June 06, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »
I'm finally getting into PT big time. I've always known some songs and appreciated them for what they were, but over the last week, In Absentia has clicked with me in a way that it never did before. Blackest Eyes, Lips of Ashes, Heartattack in a Layby, The Creator Has a Mastertape, Strip the Soul, Collapse the Light into Earth = :hefdaddy.

I guess this means revisiting the albums that I've previously known (Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet) and branching out into their older stuff. Feels good!

Well, since you're in the latter-end of the band's career, you should check out The Incident while you're there, then work your way backwards.

Definitely listen to Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream, two of my favorite albums of theirs. After that, anything before then is up to you, but from SD onward, it's all essential listening, although I would say most of The Sky Moves Sideways and half of Signify is good, too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #1334 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »

Well, since you're in the latter-end of the band's career, you should check out The Incident while you're there, then work your way backwards.

Definitely listen to Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream, two of my favorite albums of theirs. After that, anything before then is up to you, but from SD onward, it's all essential listening, although I would say most of The Sky Moves Sideways and half of Signify is good, too.

-Marc.

Yeah, make sure you get The Sky Moves Sideways. Up the Downstair is also fantastic, IMO. If you get the newest version of UtD, then you get the Staircase Infinities EP along with it on disc 2, which is also great.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1335 on: June 11, 2013, 05:37:38 AM »
I think Voyage 34 gets overlooked way too often.    It's instrumental...but it really kicks some major booty.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: June 11, 2013, 05:49:25 AM »
I think Voyage 34 gets overlooked way too often.    It's instrumental...but it really kicks some major booty.

Yes sire, it sure does  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: June 11, 2013, 06:10:15 AM »

I like voyage 34 but rarely listen to it, I just can't get that PF riff out of my head.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: June 11, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
Yeah, make sure you get The Sky Moves Sideways. Up the Downstair is also fantastic, IMO. If you get the newest version of UtD, then you get the Staircase Infinities EP along with it on disc 2, which is also great.
Love for TSMS and UTD? :hifive:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1339 on: July 11, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
Just finished my second listen to Fear Of A Blank Planet. It's my first PT album, but I'm seriously impressed :tup

Standout tracks so far for me are the title track, Anesthetize and Way Out Of Here.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: July 11, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
It was my first PT album as well and got me hooked on them :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1341 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »
Just finished my second listen to Fear Of A Blank Planet. It's my first PT album, but I'm seriously impressed :tup

Standout tracks so far for me are the title track, Anesthetize and Way Out Of Here.

I never bought the album, just the live bluray. Those were my standout tracks as well. Way Out Of Here is just great, I like the chorus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1342 on: July 11, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
Fear Of A Blank Planet is my favorite PT album, and Way Out Of Here is my favorite from it, but I don't really like the version on the Anesthetize DVD. The chorus sounds so much better when SW sings it.

Understand, I have nothing against John Wesley. I like him a lot, and have two of his albums, but that chorus was meant to be sung by Steven Wilson, in my opinion, anyway.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1343 on: July 27, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »
I just ordered Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. Can't wait for them to arrive :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1344 on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
It was my first PT album as well and got me hooked on them :metal
My first PT album was a really bad choice. Like REALLY bad choice. My first album was On The Sunday Of Life.  :rollin

BUT FOABP was my second one since that was the newest at the time. And I really liked it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1345 on: July 27, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
Mine was In Absentia. Not my favorite anymore, but definitely a solid beginning.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1346 on: July 27, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »
Mine was In Absentia. Not my favorite anymore, but definitely a solid beginning.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1347 on: July 27, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
Blackest Eyes must have been badass for a beginner.  :metal

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1348 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
I decided to change my order and added Deadwing to it. The awesomeness of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here forced me to do so.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: July 27, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »

can't say it was for me, but "Trains" -> "Lips of Ashes" and "Heartattack" -> "Strip the Soul," that's what sold me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1350 on: July 27, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
I decided to change my order and added Deadwing to it. The awesomeness of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here forced me to do so.

You have chosen wisely.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1351 on: July 27, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
I hope so. What do you guys think about the other two albums I ordered (Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun)?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1352 on: July 27, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »
I actually haven't heard either, so I can't comment.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1353 on: July 27, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »

can't say it was for me, but "Trains" -> "Lips of Ashes" and "Heartattack" -> "Strip the Soul," that's what sold me.

As a whole, Strip the Soul drags that whole album experience down for me.   (well...and maybe the last minute of Wedding Nails)   I love the first half of Strip the Soul...but I *hate* the second half.    My favorite version of the song is the one from Anesthetize...where it blends into .3 at the halfway point.    BLISS!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1354 on: July 27, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
I hope so. What do you guys think about the other two albums I ordered (Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun)?

Two of a perfect pair, IMO. These two are sibling albums in my eyes, and if you love them, definitely get their little sibling release of Recordings, a compilation that is almost album-length of songs left over from the sessions of those two studio albums.

Between all 3, there is some of the best works by PT and they should not be missed by any PT fan, new or old.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1355 on: July 27, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »
They're two of my favorites. Lightbulb Sun was my first Porcupine Tree album and my initial reaction wasn't too good. I liked some of it, but found other parts boring. It really clicked after three listens or so. Russia on Ice is one of my favorites and the whole album is incredible strong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1356 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »

Two of a perfect pair, IMO. These two are sibling albums in my eyes, and if you love them, definitely get their little sibling release of Recordings, a compilation that is almost album-length of songs left over from the sessions of those two studio albums.

Between all 3, there is some of the best works by PT and they should not be missed by any PT fan, new or old.

-Marc.

Agreed 110%.  I usually listen to them both as one album. And Recordings is fantabulous... (I love the long version of Even Less :heart )
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1357 on: July 27, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
:caffeine:

Excited. Although I'm looking forward to Deadwing even more.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: July 27, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »
I don't care too much about LBS and Deadwing, but Stupid Dream is incredible and one of my favorite PT albums.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1359 on: July 27, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
Hm, your avatar ;D

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1360 on: July 27, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing are my favorites.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1361 on: July 27, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
Lightbulb Sun is probably my least favorite PT album (not counting OTSOL).   It's still really fantastic...but it contains 2 or 3 of my least favorite PT songs.    Don't really care for Four Chords....or Where We Would Be....or the first half of Russia On Ice.

OTOH, it does contain several all time PT favorites.   Hatesong steals the show for the entire album....that's an all time top 10 PT song, Last Chance and the title track are amazing as well.   And Feel So Low is my all time #1 favorite PT closer. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1362 on: July 27, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
I don't listen much to PT anymore, but FOABP will probably always be my favorite. There's a lot of very solid albums after that too.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: July 27, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
Mellotron is the first song I heard (which I fell in love with and it's in my top 5 PT songs) but IA was the first album I listened to. Still my favorite PT release. I fall in love with other albums but IA is very consistent.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1364 on: July 27, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
Deadwing's one of those albums where I keep forgetting how much I like it because I listen to the other post-Stupid Dream albums so much more. But I revisited it a few weeks back and gained a little mini-obsession with Open Car. It's funny how you can hear a song so many times but once in a while, it will just hit you in a way you wouldn't expect.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.