Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 227191 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1225 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
Fear of a Blank Planet
The Sky Moves Sideways
In Absentia
Stupid Dream
Up the Downstair
Signify
Deadwing
Lightbulb Sun
The Incident

I would definitely participate in a PT survivor, so if anyone wants to do it, go for it!

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1226 on: January 06, 2013, 12:41:46 AM »
Ranking PT albums is so difficult because it's always changing depending on the last one I've heard, but I think I have their grouping pretty clear now and I doubt that's going to change much:

Fear of a Blank Planet
----
Signify
Deadwing
Stupid Dream
In Absentia
----
Lightbulb Sun
The Sky Moves Sideways
----
The Incident
Up the Downstair
----
On The Sunday of Life

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1227 on: January 06, 2013, 02:19:42 AM »
Fear of a Blank Planet
Signify
Deadwing
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
In Absentia
The Incident
On the Sunday of Life

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1228 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »
5 & 6 are essentially tied.

1. In Absentia
2. Lightbulb Sun
3. Deadwing
4. Stupid Dream
5. Signify
6. Fear of a Blank Planet
7. The Incident
8. The Sky Moves Sideways
9. Up The Downstairs

Still need to get the debut and Voyage 34.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #1229 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
I'm trying to get into PT. I really like Lazarus. I haven't really listened to anything else. Any ideas?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »
you've only listened to the song "Lazarus"?  Or have you listened to the album Deadwing and that was the only song you really like?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1231 on: January 28, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
If you have only listened to Lazarus, then the whole Deadwing album should be your next stop.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1232 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Absolutely.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #1233 on: January 28, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
Alright, thanks, I'll check out the rest of Deadwing.  :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »
Try In Absentia after that - it's basically the quintessential PT album (although I prefer Fear of a Blank Planet and The Sky Moves Sideways).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1235 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
I found it interesting in a recent interview with SW that he wasn't that happy with neither Lightbulb Sun or Deadwing in retrospect, considering how popular they are among most fans.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1236 on: January 28, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
Link? That sounds interesting... He's unhappy with them because they are so popular among the fans?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
Those 2 are among my least favorites so it's good to know that Steven shares my opinion :biggrin: Both suffer from including too much filler (How is Your Life Today?, The Rest Will Flow, Shallow, Glass Arm Shattering, etc. - the list goes on) and kind of falling in between 2 masterpieces (SD and IA for LBS, IA and Fear in DW's case). Kind of funny actually, my favorite PT albums are all odd-numbered: FOABP (9), TSMS (3), IA (7), SD (5).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1238 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
Oh no, he was more disappointed with them because he found them a bit "patchy".

"I remember thinking that ‘Stupid Dream’ was really good when we did it. I think that I’ve always felt that every other one was good. ‘Stupid Dream’ was great, ‘Lightbulb Sun’ wasn’t; ‘In Absentia’ was great, ‘Deadwing’ was patchy; ‘Fear of a Blank Planet’ was great, ‘The Incident’ wasn’t. It’s like every other album was a step forward."

https://www.examiner.com/article/steven-wilson-reflects-on-his-incredible-career

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1239 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:14 AM »
That's a very interesting interview. I was particularly thrilled by his hate-tolerate approach to his own songs and records.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1240 on: January 28, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
I was surprised by that as well, being that Deadwing and Lightbulb sun are my favorite Porcupine tree albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1241 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:08 AM »
Great interview.  His view towards his own music is fascinating; you can tell he is not one of those artists who listens to his own music for enjoyment, which explains why he has a hard time remembering some of it and whatnot. 

I think his comments about Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun somewhat stem from there being specific tracks from each that he has panned before.  I know he viewed Shallow as an attempt to write a "big, dumb American rock song," and I remember all of the band not liking The Rest Will Flow, but it making LBS because the record company thought it had hit potential.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: January 28, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
I'm a bit sad that he failed to mention TSMS there. I was curious to know his stance on my second-or-favourite PT album.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
I'm a bit sad that he failed to mention TSMS there. I was curious to know his stance on my second-or-favourite PT album.
https://www.dprp.net/proghistory/index.php?i=1999_01
Quote from: Steven Wilson
It's true that during the period of 'The Sky Moves Sideways', I had done a little too much of it in the sense of satisfying, in a way, the fans of Pink Floyd who were listening to us because that group doesn't make albums any more. Moreover, I regret it.
Too bad he thinks that way, because I don't think the similarities to PF are THAT notable, and it's an awesome album.

EDIT: A newer quote from https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/steven_wilson_porcupine_tree_was_gonna_be_a_one-off_thing.html
The Sky Moves Sideways was like a transitional record. It’s not my favorite record. It’s the one where I think I came closest to kind of sounding like too much like the music that I was drawing on from the past. And by that time I think I was more committed to the idea of trying to do something more genuinely progressive in the true sense of the word.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1244 on: January 28, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
Nice article. I do agree, though, with his ranking of FOABP, IA, and SD above LS, Deadwing, and TI.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1245 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
It doesn't bother me if TSMS might sound a bit Pink Floyd-ish, but it does bother me slightly more on Voyage 34. I mean the song is not bad or anything, but as soon as it starts (the main guitar) I can't think about anything else but "Run Like Hell".  :lol

Also, there doesn't really seem to be any big news regarding PT. I know they have always talked about getting together again, but it seems like SW doesn't really know where to go with PT, and he has all these ideas for his solo project, so I think unless he comes up with something really interesting, that he's very passionate about for a new PT, we might not get a new PT album in the nearest future.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1246 on: January 28, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
I'm just happy knowing that Wilson knows that TI sucks. I mean, I hope he was just being easy on himself in saying it 'wasn't great'. Yeah. Definitely not great. At all. In any way.

This same topic comes up every few pages and it's always a carbon copy... There is definitely no PT coming for the foreseeable future. No talks. No get-togethers. Not even a hint of information. But it will come; it's just going to be a while. He definitely does not know (or didn't by the time Raven was being written) where they're headed with PT. Maybe another couple years even. I wouldn't be surprised if after this next tour, Wilson takes a break from all things music. He deserves it (although right now he seems to be enjoying it as much as a vacation). He's leaving time for something new; fresh; inspired; great. With his new solo material, I've all but forgotten current-gen PT. Hopefully he can resurrect it after his solo bonanza. Even so, if 'PT' just became 'Wilson', I can't say I'd be all that disappointed with great exception to the fact that the other extremely talented members wouldn't be in on it; they're worth coming back for. I have a nudging feeling though that with all the guys doing their own thing that when they do inevitably sit down to either talk about their future or just write/play, something incredible will happen. Whether it's incredibly good or incredibly bad remains to be seen...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:35:55 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1247 on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
Interesting that he was outvoted on the release of Octane Twisted.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1248 on: January 28, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
Personally I don't think it was that great. I mean I can totally see his view, soundwise it's miles away from Anesthetize or Arriving Somewhere for example, those two sound much better. The setlist is what makes it fairly cool I guess. I'm not the biggest Incident-fan, but having the whole thing live is kinda cool, and some of the CD2-songs are nice as well. It's a solid album but not breathtaking like previous live albums have been.

Regarding a new PT, I hope it comes together. I would be alright with more SW stuff since I think his solo albums are his best work, but PT does have a lot of magic to them, and a new album would make me happy. Personally I feel like SW shares my opinion on the Incident, in the sense that it was the first PT album that didn't really drive the sound forward. It had bits and pieces we recognized from previous PT-albums, but not really "fresh" in the same way.

I would love a more melodic and catchy album. SW has really showed us that many of his best songs are the calmer ones, like "The Raven That Refused to Sing" or "Deform to Form a Star", and as much as I love what he's doing, more songs in that spirit would be amazing. Focus on melodies and a catchy chorus, I wouldn't mind PT doing something more electronic but with acoustic guitars, something vibrant and airy. Maybe they will just announce one day that they're working on a new album, who knows?  :hat

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1249 on: January 28, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
Two thoughts that this page has left me with:

1) We always judge albums as though they were created 100% as the author had envisioned them in his head, with no obstacles and out of 100% burning desire to do it, and honest interviews just prove maybe half of all music is made that way, and that still doesn't guarantee it will be good.

2) Honestly, if I were a real PT fan (a really casual one at the moment), I wouldn't be mad at Wilson for blazing his own trail. He obviously doesn't have any ideas for PT now so would you rather have him make his own music or no music at all? That, and I really hate it when bands turn into artist solo projects. It's like Pain Of Salvation, music is being made under the Pain Of Salvation name but we know it's Daniel-music. It barely has what made them unique, and people declaring they are PoS fans usually follow with a long discourse of their level of like and dislike for the "new" stuff because such dichotomy alienates fans. I like the Road Salts but I would feel much more comfortable with them if they were DG's solo project and if PoS still existed, even if disbanded, as a band entity that once made their own stuff. Not as Daniel and a bunch of dudes whose names and playing styles I barely get to learn before they're replaced with other dudes.

And, you know, PT still does exist so in some years SW might return to them, unlike PoS, where Johan and Kristoffer before all them and Fredrik weren't motivated to stay in the band anymore because it's barely a real band. That's a paradoxal situation - a band which isn't putting out any more albums exists as an entity, and an active band doesn't, but that's how I see it in my head.

tl;dr an artist should always make the music they feel like making, with no constraints, and if they can't find a place for it within the band, they should take it out of the band. That, and there is just so much in a name...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:53:43 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: January 28, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
"I regret the decisions made on TSMS because it sounded too much like old Floyd/psychadelic albums."
*goes on to make a solo album that sounds too much like old prog he grew up with*

:P

I mean they also don't think of LBS as one of their better albums, they can think whatever they want of it.  Long as they take out a few of those songs out for the tour.  ;)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1251 on: January 28, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
 :\

RIP DTP.

Offline TL

« Reply #1252 on: January 30, 2013, 05:23:43 PM »
Eh, I like The Incident.
"Not as good as some of their other albums" doesn't have to automatically equal "terrible". I know this may be shocking, but there is a middle ground.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1253 on: January 30, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »
Obviously there is a middle ground, but I think that as a musician, if you consider one album to not be on par with previous albums, you would consider it a disappointment.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1254 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »
Awesome interview, although I only skimmed the end. Will read the rest later.

I tend to agree with Steven that Stupid Dream > Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia > Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet > The Incident. I would put SD, IA, and FOABP on my Mount Rushmore of Porcupine Tree albums along with probably Lightbulb Sun.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1255 on: January 30, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
Deadwing should be locked away in a military grade bomb shelter for future generations to discover and reflect upon its greatness. Just sayin'.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1256 on: January 30, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »
Deadwing should be locked away in a military grade bomb shelter for future generations to discover and reflect upon its greatness. Just sayin'.

GENIUS! Beautiful idea.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1257 on: January 31, 2013, 01:15:51 AM »
:yarr

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: January 31, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »

I don't think I'll ever get the appeal of Deadwing, however it does have two of my favorite PT songs "Melltron" and "Glass Arm".

Mellotron Scratch was actually the first PT song I ever heard, so fucking good.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: January 31, 2013, 06:51:40 AM »
I tend to like Deadwing a little bit more than In Absentia (and way less than FOABP), but I don't really like either of the two. They both have very cool songs, but they never managed to blow me away, on any listen.
- Marco