Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226793 times)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1190 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:39 AM »
Yeah, the first few times I heard Veneno, I did keep wanting to sing TSMS
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1191 on: December 13, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
Yeah, every time I hear Veneno Para las Hadas I can't help but thinking about The Sky Moves Sideways.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1192 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
Damn, I just realized that.
Can never unhear.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1193 on: December 13, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
 :xbones
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1194 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
I heard both The Blind House and Last Chance back to back at a bar last night. I have no idea who put it on but I was surprised even the jukebox had it.
Last Chance seems like a really strange bar song. One of my favourites by them though, so I'd love that. :D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1195 on: December 14, 2012, 04:46:41 AM »
I've noticed the Veneno-TSMS similarity as well. But ironically TSMS is my second favorite PT song (after Anesthetize) and VPLH is one of the less interesting songs on Insurgentes IMO.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1196 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »
I really like Veneno, it has such a Staircase Infinities vibe to it for me.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1197 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
Veneno is nothing special IMO. I like the song, but it's not one of my favorites from the album.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1198 on: December 14, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
Collecting Space and The 78 are easily my favourites (alongside the title track). The 78 is just incredible. It has such a meaning attached to it due to events going on when I got into it. And the lyrics are so beautifully pessimistic and defeatist <3
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:14:11 AM by nightmare_cinema »
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1199 on: January 04, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
I never see anyone talk about Black Dahlia. I love this song, it's short and sweet. The last minute is incredibly beautiful.

Why does it get no praise?  :(

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1200 on: January 04, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
It's one of my least favorite on that album (actually, probably in general too)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1201 on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Black Dahlia is great. It's a better closer than Remember Me Lover, imo.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1202 on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
Black Dahlia is the classic example of a great song that kind of gets lost in the mix because it's on album with so many other great songs (many of which are better and more loved). 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1203 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »
I actually just think it's one of their weakest songs. It's never done it for me at all...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1204 on: January 04, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
That last sentence applies to the entirety of TI for me, but I actually think the bonus disc is alright. That said, I still think Black Dahlia is one of their weakest songs. But it's just so hard to judge anything on that album cause I dislike the whole vibe and concept so much. I want to say 'hate', but even the worst of PT songs are better than most of the shit I hear.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1205 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »
Black Dahlia (and Flicker) don't do anything for me. I might have received them better if they were on an EP (which I feel should have been done with the second disc to start with).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1206 on: January 05, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
Most of The Incident is pretty meh or just alright, and Black Dahlia is no exception. I love the title-track, The Blind House and the last 4 tracks on disc 1, and Bonnie the Cat is pretty cool too, although The Grand Conjuration influence in the interlude is quite clear. Unfortunately the rest of the album doesn't do much to me. Maybe it's a good thing in a way that I didn't become a PT fan until this year - The Incident would've been a MASSIVE disappointment after Fear..., which is their best album IMO.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1207 on: January 05, 2013, 01:43:35 AM »
Bought dead wing and absolutely love it

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1208 on: January 05, 2013, 01:48:21 AM »
Deadwing is absolutely amazing IMO - I find it to be much better than In Absentia, but as always... your mileage may vary.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1209 on: January 05, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
Most of The Incident is pretty meh or just alright, and Black Dahlia is no exception. I love the title-track, The Blind House and the last 4 tracks on disc 1, and Bonnie the Cat is pretty cool too, although The Grand Conjuration influence in the interlude is quite clear. Unfortunately the rest of the album doesn't do much to me. Maybe it's a good thing in a way that I didn't become a PT fan until this year - The Incident would've been a MASSIVE disappointment after Fear..., which is their best album IMO.
TI would've been a massive disappointment after anything honestly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1210 on: January 05, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »

I love Fear of a Blank Planet....but The Incident is just a little bit better. :biggrin:

Deadwing is absolutely amazing IMO - I find it to be much better than In Absentia, but as always... your mileage may vary.

I also prefer Deadwing to In Absentia, but both are so damn good, I can't fault anyone for preferring one over the other.  :tup :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1211 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »
Overall I'd say The Incident is their weakest in a long time. It's not bad, but the previous 7 or 8 albums are all better IMO.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1212 on: January 05, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
Disc 1 is pretty good. If they had just released that, it would have been better received, I think.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1213 on: January 05, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
Disc 1 is pretty good. If they had just released that, it would have been better received, I think.

Ironic you say that because that's what SW's train of thought was that he wanted to release the 2nd disc together, unlike the separate releases that FOABP and NR had.

I don't think the album would've done any better or worse had the 2nd disc been later released as an EP, a la Nil Recurring.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1214 on: January 05, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Perhaps.

Anyway...

FOABP>TI
Deadwing>IA

Might as well just start this again:

Stupid Dream
Fear Of A Blank Planet
Deadwing
Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
The Incident
the rest...

« Reply #1215 on: January 05, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »

Ironic you say that because that's what SW's train of thought was that he wanted to release the 2nd disc together, unlike the separate releases that FOABP and NR had.

I don't think the album would've done any better or worse had the 2nd disc been later released as an EP, a la Nil Recurring.

-Marc.
The presence of the second disc doesn't bring down the quality of the whole, rather the quality of the songs does.  SW was wise to separate the Incident suite (song-cycle, whatever) from the extra tracks and I really don't see why there's a problem with that.  DT did the same thing with SDoIT.

EDIT: Not really responding or arguing with you Letter M, just kinda jumping off from your post a bit. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1216 on: January 05, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »
Yeah I really don't see how it makes a difference with Disc 2 being the same album as Disc 1. It's another disc so it's not like the songs have been randomly placed after the songcycle, fucking it all up.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1217 on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

-Marc.
The presence of the second disc doesn't bring down the quality of the whole, rather the quality of the songs does.  SW was wise to separate the Incident suite (song-cycle, whatever) from the extra tracks and I really don't see why there's a problem with that.  DT did the same thing with SDoIT.

EDIT: Not really responding or arguing with you Letter M, just kinda jumping off from your post a bit. :)

Ahh okay, well I don't think DT did that with SDOIT on purpose. Besides, the title track isn't the MAIN part of the album, the WHOLE album is the main part of the album, and the way you worded it makes it sound like Disc 1 is full of "bonus tracks", which they're certainly not :lol

I think DT's SDOIT was only 2 discs because of the limitations of the music medium at the time. If CDs could hold 100 minutes, it would have likely been one CD. And if CDs could hold 100 minutes, SW still would've released TI as two discs anyway.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #1218 on: January 05, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
Can we really say that with any authority though?  DT was pretty adamant about doing a 'double album' and when they finally got the chance, they did it.

And no I don't consider any part of The Incident (or SDoIT) release to be bonus or extra tracks, it was just the wordage I used because... words are hard. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1219 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
Can we really say that with any authority though?  DT was pretty adamant about doing a 'double album' and when they finally got the chance, they did it.

And no I don't consider any part of The Incident (or SDoIT) release to be bonus or extra tracks, it was just the wordage I used because... words are hard.

True, but the difference between the two (TI and SDOIT), is that DT don't consider the first disc to be separate from the "main part" of the album, even though the second disc is the title track. I think SW was pretty vocal about his decision to put the "main part" of TI on the first disc, while the second disc were unrelated tracks recorded at the same time, similar but not entirely the same as Neal Morse's 2011 release Testimony 2, which came with a second disc of 3 more tracks unrelated to the main album. With DT's SDOIT, there's an album flow that requires all 6 tracks, while with The Incident or Testimony 2, the 2nd disc really feels more like "bonus tracks" than anything since they are meant to be separate from the first disc.

-Marc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1220 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
I don't see how the second disc of TI makes it any better or worse either; it is what it is. Clearly it was done for a reason and while I think TI as a whole, including the second disc, is completely boring and sub-par music entirely, I'd say I enjoy the second disc more than the first. That's taking it as a whole though, there's songs on the first disc that I like more than the second, but there's no way I'm ever sitting through the entirety of that album ever again; and as was meant to be enjoyed to the fullest by listening to it as a song cycle, I don't get the full enjoyment out of choosing one single song and listening to it and it alone. It'll always feel awkward and end prematurely. I can actually pick and choose with the second disc if I feel the desire to; that said...I don't feel the desire to. Ever. It's a mess.

I am so ready for PT to move in a different direction...and given what Jackie and I spoke about a few pages ago, (weird to word that in regards to a frame of time...) I have hopes that it'll at the very least kick the shit out of TI. But just to get something fresh, inspired and different is awesome as it is.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1221 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »

Deadwing
Lightbulb Sun
Fear of a Blank Planet
The Incident
In Absentia
Signify
Stupid Dream
Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
On the Sunday of Life...

Really, the Top 9 are all amazing. I still love TSMS

I seem to be one of the few that adore The Incident  :heart

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1222 on: January 05, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
Any chance someone could get the PT survivor running again? It has been over a year since the last one  :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1223 on: January 05, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »
Is there a waiting list for survivors or do people just start them whenever they want?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1224 on: January 05, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
Well, from what I remember, you usually had to ask in advance but it seems to be more laid back now.