Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226810 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1015 on: November 21, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
To be sure, I'm just glad it isn't happening more. That seemed to be at a time when PT was getting an unusual amount of publicity (I also remember a PT song, I can't remember which one, being in a movie around that time...I think it was 4 Brothers? Actually...it might have been Shallow..maybe Halo...?), so it's understandable that the company pushed to have more 'singles'. But it's pretty clear which songs were aimed to be more radio-friendly and appeal to the masses; and coincidentally those songs are the ones that are usually a little further down the list. It's bound to happen when a band that has as much talent as PT starts to get recognized, despite the band starting as a completely zany, standalone project. The evolution of this band is an interesting one... I'd forgotten that with all the recent solo activity.

Which brings me to one last thought: I really, really hope that Wilson finds that excitement and inspiration he once had with the band, because the other members are so amazingly talented and it'd be a true shame to just kind of let that fade away because Wilson is so wrapped up in his solo career. Which will not last for the rest of his musical career; I mean I suppose it could but he is just too 'hit-the-ground-running' and moving at a break-neck pace to keep this up for years to come. So, on one hand I really would not like to see PT return if it's going to be an uninspired effort that produces more of the same and on the other, if there's even a glimmer of hope, it'd be so wonderful to get a return-to-glory album that proves they've still got some creative bones in 'em. I just really hope we don't get another Incident or anything like it. Conflicted, is what this band is and my feelings for them.  :huh: :azn:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1016 on: November 21, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
I like Shallow.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1017 on: November 21, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1018 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
YOU TWO ARE THE MASSES!

:P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1021 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
I like Shallow as well, but if I had to pick a list favorite song from Deadwing, that would probably be the one. I'm not a huge fan of the title track neither, but the rest of the album is magnificent.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: November 21, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
That was a very good interview. I've always loved Richard, both for his contribution to the songs and he just seems like a cool guy.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1023 on: November 21, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
Got a nice little surprise in the mail today!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1024 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Got a nice little surprise in the mail today!! :metal

Colin Edwin?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1025 on: November 21, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
Check out this great interview with with PT keyboardist Richard Barbieri where he discusses every PT album!

https://www.rocksquare.com/community/featuredartists/1548

first off, he (the interviewer) keeps referencing "black metal" when talking about Opeth

then Barbieri drops this:

"I only just started listening to Rush about a year ago. I’d never heard Rush before."

He has a lot of catching up to do!!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1026 on: November 22, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
So, has anyone heard the new live album? For those who don't know, Octane Twisted was released somewhere last week.

LINK
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1027 on: November 22, 2012, 08:13:37 AM »
I've heard it. I think it's good, but not on the same level as Anesthetize, Coma Divine or even Arriving Somewhere. The setlist is not bad, but sound-wise it doesn't sound as good as the other releases.
I can pretty much sum my opinions up like this:

+The Incident live - Cool to have the album captured in full, it does sound better live
+Even Less full - Awesome to have a live version of the 14 minute version
+Setlist - While I don't think it's as good as the other albums I mentioned, still some songs unique to this release which you wont find on other live albums by the band

-The sound - Not bad, but far from "crystal-clear"
-The mix from different concerts - I was kinda against this from the start, by the time you get to the Anniversary gig-songs, it does feel kinda disjointed
-Was it really a necessary release? - As cool as it is to have The Incident on a live album, Anesthetize (and Atlanta) recently came out and I think it's a bit over the top to put out a new live album with every album. Arriving Somewhere.. came after Deadwing, Anesthetize after FOABP and now this one after The Incident. Personally I think it's a bit too much. And I don't really see myself spinning this album that much in the future, at least not compared to the other live albums. Maybe if I want The Incident live.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1028 on: November 22, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »
-Was it really a necessary release? - As cool as it is to have The Incident on a live album, Anesthetize (and Atlanta) recently came out and I think it's a bit over the top to put out a new live album with every album. Arriving Somewhere.. came after Deadwing, Anesthetize after FOABP and now this one after The Incident. Personally I think it's a bit too much. And I don't really see myself spinning this album that much in the future, at least not compared to the other live albums. Maybe if I want The Incident live.

They must be huge fans of Rush :lol

(Well, Alex Lifeson DID appear on FOABP, sooo...)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
I've heard it. I think it's good, but not on the same level as Anesthetize, Coma Divine or even Arriving Somewhere. The setlist is not bad, but sound-wise it doesn't sound as good as the other releases.
I can pretty much sum my opinions up like this:

+The Incident live - Cool to have the album captured in full, it does sound better live
+Even Less full - Awesome to have a live version of the 14 minute version
+Setlist - While I don't think it's as good as the other albums I mentioned, still some songs unique to this release which you wont find on other live albums by the band

-The sound - Not bad, but far from "crystal-clear"
-The mix from different concerts - I was kinda against this from the start, by the time you get to the Anniversary gig-songs, it does feel kinda disjointed

pretty much agreed with all of this — and the DVD sucks. big time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1030 on: November 22, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
I haven't even watched the DVD yet, but seeing as it was released as an extra if you ordered the album early, it doesn't come off as being something really awesome visually, like Anesthetize or Arriving Somewhere.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1031 on: November 22, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
I actually really like the album. Of course, as it's live I won't listen huge amounts, but I like it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1032 on: November 22, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »
Check out this great interview with with PT keyboardist Richard Barbieri where he discusses every PT album!

https://www.rocksquare.com/community/featuredartists/1548

first off, he (the interviewer) keeps referencing "black metal" when talking about Opeth

then Barbieri drops this:

"I only just started listening to Rush about a year ago. I’d never heard Rush before."

He has a lot of catching up to do!!

The guy should know his stuff a bit better. I'm not as fanboy as I was when I was younger, and even I know that the spoken word part from "Last Chance..." is NOT a clip from a 50's sci-fi movie.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1033 on: November 22, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
Octane Twisted is good. I wasn't too excited about it but I got the regular CD version at Best Buy on Tuesday. The Incident sounds way better live, and the second disc is very good too. Not much to say other than its a good live release.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: November 23, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
Richard Barbieri likes Stupid Dream more than Lightbulb Sun?  And here I thought he was a real Porcupine Tree fan.  :tdwn

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1035 on: November 23, 2012, 07:11:50 AM »
Well, while Lightbulb Sun may have higher highs, it also has lower lows.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »
You're just saying that because FOABP is his favorite too!  :angry:

iMad

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1037 on: November 23, 2012, 07:28:27 AM »
I've always kinda been mixed towards LBS. I really like it, the songs I love would include: Russia on Ice, Hatesong, title-track and Last Chance..
Then there's songs I like quite a bit like Shesmovedon and How is Your Life Today.
The rest is kinda meh. I don't dislike the other songs, but they aren't wtf-awesome 5 out of 5-songs for me. :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1038 on: November 23, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
LBS is pretty uneven indeed. Russia on Ice, Hatesong and the title-track are great, but there are also many tracks that are just meh, like HIYLT?, The Rest Will Flow and Where We Would Be. I think Stupid Dream is a much stronger album overall.

As for the live release, I'm not sure whether I'll get it. The Incident is my least favorite PT album out of the ones I've heard (OTSOL being the only one I've yet to hear) and having the DVD as bonus material only (and including just the TI portion of the set on it) isn't a great idea IMO.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1039 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
LBS is incredible. The only two sub-par songs are How is your life today and Four chords that made a million, and even the latter can be fun.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1040 on: November 23, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
I prefer Stupid Dream between the two, although both are great albums.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1041 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Both are amazingly consistent and great. Fact.  :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1042 on: November 23, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
LS has some nice tracks, but a lot of boring ones. Stupid Dream, easily. It's probably the best album ever, anyway.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1043 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
Agreed.   Stupid Dream is amazing and consistent throughout.   LS is a similar sounding album, but rather uneven.  I believe even SW has stated in no uncertain terms that he made some compromises on that album that he wasn't really happy with.

SD is a top 5 PT album and LS is a mid-to-low tier PT album.   But there is no such thing as a bad PT album, so....

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1044 on: November 23, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
I just wanted to say that I got In Absentia and Deadwing recently. It was my first exposure to these guys and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST Steven Wilson is a genius! Sorry, just had to get it out there, carry on ;D
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1045 on: November 23, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
I just wanted to say that I got In Absentia and Deadwing recently. It was my first exposure to these guys and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST Steven Wilson is a genius! Sorry, just had to get it out there, carry on ;D

Sometimes I wish I could just put that feeling in a bottle...   

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1046 on: November 23, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »

Nice!  Enjoy delving in beyond IA and Deadwing - there's a lot there.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1047 on: November 23, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

Nice!  Enjoy delving in beyond IA and Deadwing - there's a lot there.

Yes! Especially once you get all of the B-Sides and listen to them with the albums they belong to! There's 5 for IA and 5 for DW!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1048 on: November 23, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
That interview inspired me to listen to Up the Downstair again last night. It was way better than I remembered, particularly the title track.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1049 on: November 23, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
Up The Downstair is great, but I enjoy that type of psychedelic music. It's easily one of my top 5 PT albums.

Lightbulb Sun is a great album.  It's definitely less consistent than Stupid Dream, but there aren't any tracks on Stupid Dream that reach the same highs as the best on LBS.  And those highs are pretty damn high.