Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226879 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #945 on: October 01, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
Whether or not you like those four songs, they do not fit with the album at all. They are like Nil Recurring to FOABP. But even less related. (yes i c wut i did thar.) I am happy he released those songs, because they are all right, but the means by which he just slapped them on to an already completely album is facepalm worthy.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: October 01, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
Who says those songs don't have something to do with the songs on Disc 1?  I know they aren't a part of the "song cycle" per se, but there are various lyrical connections, especially in Bonnie the Cat and Black Dahlia.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #947 on: October 01, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
Still a dumb idea to include it on the album in the first place.

Error....Error...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #948 on: October 01, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
Whether or not you like those four songs, they do not fit with the album at all. They are like Nil Recurring to FOABP. But even less related. (yes i c wut i did thar.) I am happy he released those songs, because they are all right, but the means by which he just slapped them on to an already completely album is facepalm worthy.

Actually, the tracks on Nil Recurring are more directly connected and related to the tracks on FOABP than the ones on The Incident are between its two discs.

And while The Incident was released as two discs, it could have all easily fit onto ONE CD, so the separation of the main song-cycle was only done to further emphasize it as being a single piece, apart from the other four songs, which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't related to the song-cycle - it's just that they're on a separate disc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »

The issue of length aside, how is this any different from something like DT's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence? The songs on the first disc don't have anything to do with tracks on the second. Why shouldn't they have been scrapped?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #950 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »

The issue of length aside, how is this any different from something like DT's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence? The songs on the first disc don't have anything to do with tracks on the second. Why shouldn't they have been scrapped?
There were six songs. I thought that tied the album together. Plus each disc on its own (especially disc 1) is too short to be an album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #951 on: October 01, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
Is it really? Disc 1 is 54 minutes, Disc 2 is 42 minutes. If you look at I&W it's 57 minutes, so if 6DOIT had only been the first disc for example, it wouldn't have been that much shorter. 42 minutes is kinda short for a Progressive album, but I still think it would have worked. If anything, DT has shown us with several albums that making a 75 minute-album isn't really the key to success, there's often filler-songs that could have been cut.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #952 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »
Huh. Well, I guess they are long enough to be standalone albums. I still think that the two discs of SDOIT are much more connected than the two discs of The Incident.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #953 on: October 01, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
Huh. Well, I guess they are long enough to be standalone albums. I still think that the two discs of SDOIT are much more connected than the two discs of The Incident.

I think, in the case of SDOIT, the album was only one 2 discs because the medium upon which the music was put onto only allowed for a maximum of 75-79 minutes of music per single disc. Had the album been released during the apex of audio cassette technology, you can bet the band would have made the album fit onto one single cassette tape.

And because the title track of SDOIT was always listed as "Track 6", there was never any doubt that the two discs should have been seen as separate, but just a continuation because of the way the medium allowed the music to be listened. If there were CDs that could hold 100 minutes of music, the album would have been a single disc. Some albums, over two discs, are sometimes not meant to be viewed as 2 entities of the album, such as the case with SDOIT, but in the case of The Incident, the separation was done on purpose. So obviously, SDOIT's discs are meant to be a cohesive whole, while with PT's album, it's a bit more blurred.

Sure there might be some lyrical or musical connections, but it doesn't mean they are meant to be part of the album's main song-cycle, but they are still part of the same album, whether or not you like the tracks. In fact, the DVD-A version of The Incident features ALL 18 tracks, run in the same order as the two CDs have them. Heck, with a DVD-A, you could fit all of SDOIT onto one disc - then there wouldn't be these stupid debates about "SDOIT - Disc 1 VS Disc 2".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #954 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »

I think, in the case of SDOIT, the album was only one 2 discs because the medium upon which the music was put onto only allowed for a maximum of 75-79 minutes of music per single disc. Had the album been released during the apex of audio cassette technology, you can bet the band would have made the album fit onto one single cassette tape.

The total running time of all the tracks on The Incident is 75:56.    It does all fit on a single disc if you do it yourself.   It was put on separate disc on purpose in order to keep the unrelated ideas completely separate from one another.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #955 on: October 02, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »

The total running time of all the tracks on The Incident is 75:56.    It does all fit on a single disc if you do it yourself.   It was put on separate disc on purpose in order to keep the unrelated ideas completely separate from one another.

Some albums, over two discs, are sometimes not meant to be viewed as 2 entities of the album, such as the case with SDOIT, but in the case of The Incident, the separation was done on purpose.

And while The Incident was released as two discs, it could have all easily fit onto ONE CD, so the separation of the main song-cycle was only done to further emphasize it as being a single piece, apart from the other four songs, which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't related to the song-cycle - it's just that they're on a separate disc.

Oh I know  :tup

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #956 on: October 02, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
I really like The Incident, except for the second disc. I wish they hadn't released it as a part of the album, it should have just been a bonus disc or a separate EP. This way, it's a part of the album that includes four more songs that have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of the first disc. And they aren't too great neither.

Uhh, that's why it's on a separate disc in the first place.
Yeah, but it's labeled as a part of the album rather than a bonus disc. You can't get the edition of the album without the second disc, can you?

If those four songs are connected to the story told on the disc one, than damn, I should have paid attention.  ;D

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
I really like The Incident, except for the second disc. I wish they hadn't released it as a part of the album, it should have just been a bonus disc or a separate EP. This way, it's a part of the album that includes four more songs that have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of the first disc. And they aren't too great neither.

Yeah, but it's labeled as a part of the album rather than a bonus disc. You can't get the edition of the album without the second disc, can you?

If those four songs are connected to the story told on the disc one, than damn, I should have paid attention.  ;D

That's exactly the point I was making. I bolded the part I was talking about.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #958 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

That's exactly the point I was making. I bolded the part I was talking about.
I bolded the part I was talking about. I think it's pretty much that the inclusion of these songs to the album makes sense to you for whatever reason, while I thought those songs didn't really have a point being included on the album, as they don't have anything to do with the concept, or at least I failed to see the connection. I don't care that they're on the second disc, they're still part of the album, and NOT a bonus disc - it nowhere says so.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #959 on: October 02, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
There's no question that those four Disc 2 songs are part of The Incident album. The issue is whether or not they should have been released like that. I think they should have been released as an EP (even as an EP that comes with the album)because it makes more sense when looking at the concept.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #960 on: October 02, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
Deadwing = sex.

Just putting that out there.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #961 on: October 02, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
Who says those songs don't have something to do with the songs on Disc 1?  I know they aren't a part of the "song cycle" per se, but there are various lyrical connections, especially in Bonnie the Cat and Black Dahlia.

I am quoting myself for emphasis.

Saying the four songs on Disc 2, "have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of the first disc," is simply not correct.  I think Wilson didn't include them as a part of it because the musical flow wouldn't have worked, but the lyrical connections are more than obvious, IMO.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #962 on: October 02, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
This shit again? Meh.

I've been spinning Lightbulb Sun a lot recently (and will be more and more as we ease into the Fall) and it's bringing back some really awesomely depressing, yet somehow comforting memories. Opeth and PT will do that in the Fall. OooOOo Heritage is gonna be spinning soon enough too; that album is so great for Fall/Winter. Okay back on topic: I like hookahs.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #963 on: October 02, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
There's no question that those four Disc 2 songs are part of The Incident album. The issue is whether or not they should have been released like that. I think they should have been released as an EP (even as an EP that comes with the album)because it makes more sense when looking at the concept.

This is sort of how Neal Morse released Testimony 2 - there is no single-disc version of the album that is just the Testimony-parts. The album was released as 2-CDs and includes the 3 other tracks on Disc 2. Had there been a single-disc version of the album, one could surmise that "Absolute Beginner", "Supernatural" and "Seeds Of Gold" were meant to be *bonus* tracks, and therefore not part of the album. However, since this was NOT the case, those 3 tracks are part of Testimony 2, just not part of the main narrative on Disc 1.

-Marc.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

I am quoting myself for emphasis.

Saying the four songs on Disc 2, "have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of the first disc," is simply not correct.  I think Wilson didn't include them as a part of it because the musical flow wouldn't have worked, but the lyrical connections are more than obvious, IMO.

SW stated the reason for splitting the extra 4 onto a second disc was because they were band compositions made at the same time, while the song cycle is primarily SW-written.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: October 02, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
Deadwing = sex.

Deadwing is just one of those PT albums that has some amazing songs (Mellotron Scratch, Glass Arm Shattering) and some really forgettable ones (Halo, Lazarus)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #966 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
Deadwing = sex.

Deadwing is just one of those PT albums where every song blows your mind  :heart  :)

fix'd.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #967 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
Ah fuck it, they're all amazing.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
Deadwing = sex.

Deadwing is just one of those PT albums that has some amazing songs (Mellotron Scratch, Glass Arm Shattering) and some really forgettable ones (Halo, Lazarus)

i'd actually switch those and put the super-soupy "Mellotron" and "Glass Arm" in the forgettable category (despite how "Mellotron" gets such love here) along with "Shallow" (because it's boring and goes on too long). i'm not a fan of "Halo" at all but at least the goddamn song has real dynamics and significantly differing parts to keep interest. and "Lazarus" is a beautifully written pop tune, imo.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #969 on: October 03, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »
Mellotron Scratch is easily one of the best songs on Deadwing IMO. If I had to pick out the worst songs on the album, I'd say - Shallow and Open Car, both are decent straight up rockers, and Glass Arm Shattering. While none of these songs are bad, they aren't IMO good enough to claim the album being a 5 out of 5.
While I love most of the title-track, I feel like it could have been cut down a few minutes. I don't particularly care for the heavy part. Halo is a song I'm a bit divided on, I think it's one of their best from Deadwing if we're talking live versions, because there it really becomes much better, but the studio version is not as good. Lazarus is a great ballad-song, but doesn't quite live up to previous songs like Trains or Drown With Me, two songs that are also a bit acoustic/ballady.

I'd probably say Mellotron Scratch, The Start of Something Beautiful and the title-track are the 3 best songs on the album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #970 on: October 03, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
The title track is actually my least favorite on the album. Shallow is pretty cool but still not as awesome as the rest of the album. In fact, the album gets better as it goes, and it finishes with the two songs I like the most.  :metal

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #971 on: October 03, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
Open Car is probably my least favourite PT song. Shallow and Halo are forgettable. Mellotron Scratch, Arriving Somewhere, and The Start Of Something Beautiful are each amongst their best songs though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #972 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
Nahhhh, Shallow and Halo are awesome. I especially love the riff near the end of Halo, with the ascending piano notes.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #973 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
I'm not a fan of Steven's vocal style in the chorus of Halo, which probably is what limits my enjoyment a bit. The bass riff is awesome though.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #974 on: October 03, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »
I really enjoy Open Car :dunno:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: October 03, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
Open Car is pretty good, especially live.  Way better than Shallow for sure.  Halo's good too, though it was a weird choice to close out shows on the FOABP tour.  I was like "wait, that's it?  Really?  That song?"  This is after both Dark Matter and Shesmovedon, which would have been great closers. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #976 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
Deadwing is goddamned perfect you plebeians.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #977 on: October 03, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #978 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
I don't prefer Shallow or Halo, other than Deadwing is great
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #979 on: October 03, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »

The song or the album? Your lack of italics or quotations really makes it ambiguous...although it doesn't matter, both the song AND the album are great!

-Marc.