Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226856 times)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #875 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
Personally, I agree that OTSOL is really good. I do like it about the same amount as I like TSMS (because I really like both) but no, I think OTSOL is brilliant. It feels a lot shorter than it actually is.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #876 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
I watched Anesthetize yesterday and I have to say it's a pretty cool guy. Video quality is stunning and I think all performances are pretty amazing. The only negative point (that also applies to Arriving Somewhere) is that I hate how they turn all guitar solos into improvised dissonant noises, I'd prefer if both Wilson and Wesley stayed closer to the originals.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #877 on: August 07, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
I really don't like what they did with Dark Matter live. Some of it is cool, but the part after the chorus where it's keyboard-heavy on the album are guitar-heavy on the live version, and it just doesn't sound as good.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #878 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
:tup :tup Beautiful insanity!

Now watch in wonder as people attempt to wrap their minds around that statement and understand how it is that you could possibly like such an odd, unrecognizable album better than anything other than a steaming pile of shit (that sings. whOOOOa). It's cute. It's like, "Aw! Try and give less of a shit."
I mean, OTSOL is garbage. But it's Steven Wilson's garbage, and that makes it special.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #879 on: August 07, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »

Now watch in wonder as people attempt to wrap their minds around that statement and understand how it is that you could possibly like such an odd, unrecognizable album better than anything other than a steaming pile of shit (that sings. whOOOOa). It's cute. It's like, "Aw! Try and give less of a shit."
I mean, OTSOL is garbage. But it's Steven Wilson's garbage, and that makes it special.

What's that make TI?

...Garbage's diarrhea?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #880 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »

Half of OTSOL is garbage, but at least it's interesting garbage.  :biggrin:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #881 on: August 08, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
Bosk, if you like the riffier style, you should try out Strip the Soul, Wedding Nails, The Creator Has a Mastertape, Open Car, and Shallow. You might enjoy them a bit more.

Perhaps, but unless they are instrumentals that do not transition into the spacey, atmospheric style, I will likely be turned off by the vocals and/or the atmospheric stuff.  But don't worry--I have plenty of music that I DO enjoy.  :)
Well, yeah, if you don't like the atmospheric stuff, you probably won't get very far. Wedding Nails is instrumental, though it does have a fairly extensive noodly section.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ħ

« Reply #882 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
I think PT has a core sound which is the melodramatic, moody, spacey sound that people either like or dislike. There's variety that's built around that, but PT almost always keeps that foundation.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #883 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
Do I risk getting hanged by people if I say that Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is probably my favourite PT song?  ::)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #884 on: August 13, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »
Do I risk getting hanged by people if I say that Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is probably my favourite PT song?  ::)

Only if those people are under the impression that their own opinions are facts. :P

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #885 on: August 13, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »

Only if those people are under the impression that their own opinions are facts. :P

Which, let's be honest, *rarely* happens on the Internet

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #886 on: August 13, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
Why do people shit all over The Incident? After going through their albums again, it's probably my 3rd favorite, behind Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun.

It's so dark, and moody. I love it.. and it has some of their best songs on it.  :heart

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #887 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »
Why do people shit all over The Incident? After going through their albums again, it's probably my 3rd favorite, behind Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun.

It's so dark, and moody. I love it.. and it has some of their best songs on it.  :heart

I never really got it. It's probably me, though... I'm more a supporter of the old PT way...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #888 on: August 13, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
I don't really care much for The Incident either. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album from start to listen, but few of the songs stand out as being better than just great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #889 on: August 13, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »

Not at all.  It's a damn good song. :tup :tup

I don't really care much for The Incident either. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album from start to listen, but few of the songs stand out as being better than just great.

The two things I bolded completely contradict each other.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »

which version? that's a favourite of the early PT days for me too, along with "No Reason to Live, No Reason to Die," "Rainy Taxi," "And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun" and "Cloud Zero." pretty much all of the Staircase Infinities EP is brilliant!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »

How? It's completely possible to believe something is great without really caring for it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #892 on: August 14, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »

How? It's completely possible to believe something is great without really caring for it.

Yeah this pretty much. Back when The Incident came out I didn't really know much music, I had a core of ~10 bands perhaps that I listened to, and it was quite easy to listen to The Incident a lot. But now when that core of bands has expanded to over 100, I just don't care enough for an album I would rank 3.5 out of 5 (or something) when I can listen to something I enjoy more.

So in conclusion, I don't think it's a bad album, and I wouldn't turn it off if someone played it for me, but on the other hand it's certainly not an album I would just put on, not even in PT's discography.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #893 on: August 14, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »

Yeah this pretty much. Back when The Incident came out I didn't really know much music, I had a core of ~10 bands perhaps that I listened to, and it was quite easy to listen to The Incident a lot. But now when that core of bands has expanded to over 100, I just don't care enough for an album I would rank 3.5 out of 5 (or something) when I can listen to something I enjoy more.

So in conclusion, I don't think it's a bad album, and I wouldn't turn it off if someone played it for me, but on the other hand it's certainly not an album I would just put on, not even in PT's discography.

Maybe not, although I play it often enough. Holds sentimental value for me, I guess.

Anyway, I originally came here to post that Stupid Dream is awesome, but you all probably knew that. I burned it to CD this morning after years of tossing it around on my iPod, so now I can listen to it in the car. :metal
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #894 on: August 14, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
You listen to CD and mp3s? ROFL

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #895 on: August 14, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
You listen to CD and mp3s? ROFL

What's "rofl" about that? Most people listen to mp3, and CD is still the most available physical format. Or are you one of those "anything that isn't flac or vinyl sucks"-kind of people? :P

Offline Ħ

« Reply #896 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
CDs are the destruction of art, dude. Don't you own the Steven Wilson manual?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #897 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Steven Wilson has actually said himself that he owns loads of CD's.  :biggrin:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #898 on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
LISTENING TO MP3S IS LIKE LOOKING AT A PHOTOGRAPH OF A PAINTING HURR DURR
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #899 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »
Not sure if something is art? Follow this easy-to-use logic tree, courtesy of Steven Wilson!

1. Is it an mp3?
yes -> then it's not art
no -> proceed to step 2

2. Is it a CD?
yes -> proceed to step 3
no -> proceed to step 4

3. Is it enclosed in a digibook?
yes -> then it's not art
no -> proceed to step 4

4. Has it gone platinum?
yes -> proceed to step 5
no -> proceed to step 6

5. Is it by Pink Floyd??
yes -> Then it's art!
no -> Sorry, not art.

6. Is it one of the following genres: hip hop, R&B, modern pop, techno, prog (excluding Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd)?
yes -> Sorry, not art.
no -> Then it's art!

Offline TL

« Reply #900 on: September 10, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »
Just found out that Gavin Harrison is doing a drum clinic here in Halifax in a couple weeks! For once, Halifax actually gets something interesting music related.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #901 on: September 10, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
Stop Swimming :heart
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #902 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
6. Is it one of the following genres: hip hop, R&B, modern pop, techno, prog (excluding Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd)?
yes -> Sorry, not art.
no -> Then it's art!

How do you figure? He's routinely cited earlier prog bands as influences (and fucking demolished Akerfeldt in that prog quiz on youtube), as well as liking various hip hop and such (i.e. Fear of a Black Planet) - I mean, Dalek even did a remix of Get All You Deserve for the NSRGNTS RMXS disc.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #903 on: September 11, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
yes -> Sorry, not art.
no -> Then it's art!

How do you figure?
By not thinking things through when it doesn't matter.

Offline TL

« Reply #904 on: September 24, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Just got back from the clinic Gavin held here in Halifax. Needless to say, it was amazing! Informative and extremely entertaining. The guy is ridiculously charming in person.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #905 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/4174/ <--preorder for the new live-album.

So the speculation was at least true to a certain point, 3 of the songs on it will be from the Royal Albert Hall concert. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think. I'd love one of the special gigs as a live album, but I don't like the idea of having a live album with songs mixed from different concerts. It gives it a less cohesive feel since it was recorded over several nights. (I know in some cases they do like 2 nights in a row and pick the best versions, but this isn't the same, this wasn't even on the same tour)

But I'll be buying it never the less.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #906 on: September 28, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
The fuck. Let me first say that Arriving Somewhere is my favorite Porcupine Tree song, but there is no reason for that to get on this release when an AMAZING version is already released. There was so many cool old songs brought out that people want to hear what they sound like today and they end it with AS... just no sense in my mind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #907 on: September 28, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »
Yeah that's pretty weird. But most PT songs have gotten pretty fair representation so far, so I'm glad the entire Incident album (minus a few of disc 2, I guess) is there.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #908 on: September 28, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
Also, it's really disappointing that you can only get the DVD if you purchase the CDs, and more importantly if you buy the version available through K-Scope.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #909 on: September 28, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
Also, it's really disappointing that you can only get the DVD if you purchase the CDs, and more importantly if you buy the version available through K-Scope.

Either way, I'm still gonna pre-order it. Looks like BurningShed is going to get $70.40 from me after I get paid on October 3rd - between this set and the pre-orders for the Genesis Revisited sets by Steve Hackett, they're getting a sizable amount of my paycheck...maybe.  If anything, I am at least getting this set. It looks pretty good and I am a sucker for Special/Limited Editions, especially of PT/SW-related stuff!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!