Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226698 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #840 on: August 03, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
I actually talked to one of the guys about that, I think it was Colin, and he basically said that they thought the video quality wasn't that great and that's why there was basically a lot of effects on it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #841 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
True. It does seem a little grainy. Though, the shitty video effects make the normal picture look better, so mission accomplished I suppose. :p
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jammindude

« Reply #842 on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
LOVE the effects on AS...It's one of the things (along with a superior setlist) that make it so much more interesting (and better) than Anesthetize.

It gave it more of a "concert film" quality...like something you'd see in a theater. I would put it on par with The Song Remains the Same and Rattle and Hum...in great part due to the breathtaking effects.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #843 on: August 04, 2012, 03:53:37 AM »
I'd say Anesthetize has a much better setlist than Arriving Somewhere. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but Anesthetize has Fear in it's entirety, Dark Matter, Sever and Sleep of No Dreaming from Signify, HALF-LIGHT, DROWN WITH ME, and the Nil Recurring songs.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #844 on: August 04, 2012, 04:10:03 AM »
I'd say Anesthetize has a much better setlist than Arriving Somewhere. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but Anesthetize has Fear in it's entirety, Dark Matter, Sever and Sleep of No Dreaming from Signify, HALF-LIGHT, DROWN WITH ME, and the Nil Recurring songs.
Yeah agreed. Though besides the FOABP and Signify songs it could be improved IMO.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #845 on: August 04, 2012, 04:13:04 AM »
Yeah agreed. Though besides the FOABP and Signify songs it could be improved IMO.

It's hard for me to say. Those I mentioned are awesome and I couldn't think about switching them. But I would be willing to swap Prodigal, Wedding Nails, Strip the Soul/.3 and Halo for A Smart Kid, Gravity Eyelids, Trains and Deadwing. Or something.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #846 on: August 04, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »
Yeah those songs could all be replaced.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #847 on: August 04, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »
I've had Anesthetize for months now and I still haven't watched it all the way through. As a matter of fact, there are songs on it that I haven't even heard. But I've seen most of it and I love it, so I'm looking forward to the new one as well.

Speaking of Anesthetize, I'm always stunned at how many teenage kids are in the crowd and how strong they resonate with the lyrics. Seems like Steven really hit the nail on the head with the lyrics on Fear of a blank planet, they apparently work as a soundtrack to these kids' lives for the most part.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #848 on: August 04, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
The FOABP songs are much better in a live setting....but combining them with the Nil Recurring songs in the same set gave the whole concert a bit of a repetitive feel.   And I never really cared for the Nil Recurring songs very much, although WHN is excellent.   It was awesome to have Sever.   

The Anesthetize setlist is very good...but the AS setlist is darn near perfect.   SCF, M&CD, HAiaL, ASBNH, TSoM, Hatesong, DHM, BNS, TSOSB....not to mention the definitive live version of Trains.   Such a great moment when SW breaks a string and has a little laugh with the crowd....and his response to the "FREEBIRD" at the beginning.   It was just an amazing show.   

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #849 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't call it the "definitive" live-version of Trains, while the fact that the strings breaks is charming, the song kinda looses momentum because of it. There are versions where the song is allowed to flow and be performed from start to finish without interruptions, and I think those are better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #850 on: August 04, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

The Anesthetize setlist is very good...but the AS setlist is darn near perfect.   

This.  Totally, this. 

Plus, even though I like all of those songs, the Anesthetize set kind of runs out of gas by not having any of their totally awesome songs in the latter 1/3 of the set.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #851 on: August 04, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »
Anesthetize and Coma Divine are almost tied as my favorite live release by PT. I think the first has a better setlist, but the second has a bit more of a live-feel (despite having some vocals re-recorded) and some of the songs sound differently live, something I wish they would do more.
Arriving Somewhere has a pretty good setlist. The only two negative things I could say would be that a few more older songs would be cool, doesn't have to be from the very first albums, but another one or two from Stupid Dream/LBS, and possibly that the album doesn't feel that LIVE. Apart from Open Car being slightly altered, most of the songs are played just like on the album, and if it hadn't been for the audience or other minor details it might as well have been the studio version.

The AS-version of Hatesong owns though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: August 04, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Watching Arriving Somewhere again. What a fantastic performance, marred by too many video effects. I'm glad Lasse learned from that mistake.

To me Arriving Somewhere is the Live Scenes from PT's catalog, however Arriving Somewhere at least isn't as cheesy.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: August 04, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
DROWN WITH ME

DWM is one of my favorite PT songs but I was kinda let down by the live version. They can't really do those multi-layer harmonies.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #854 on: August 04, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
DROWN WITH ME

DWM is one of my favorite PT songs but I was kinda let down by the live version. They can't really do those multi-layer harmonies.

Agreed.  The live version isn't bad by any means, but just doesn't kick total ass like the studio version does.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: August 04, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Kinda understandable since Drown With Me has like 15 layers of vocals.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #856 on: August 04, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
Just bought the Anesthetize Blu Ray, hopefully I'll be able to watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #857 on: August 04, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

The AS-version of Hatesong owns though.

We are in *COMPLETE* agreement on this point...   It might be no big deal to a drummer, but when I saw Gavin lick his thumb to get that sound effect, I was all like  :hefdaddy .  I had never seen that done before, so to me it was really like...OMG GAVIN RULZ!!!  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #858 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
I used to say I just flat out disliked everything about Porcupine Tree, so as a result, I don't really participate in PT discussions since I have nothing constructive to add.  However, as I was listening ot some tunes on the computer this morning, I had an accidental revelation.  I was listening to some Floyd, and after the Floyd album I was listening to finished up, it went into In Absentia (why I haven't deleted that is a mystery, since I never listen to it).  My amazing discovery is that actually, the first 52 seconds of Blackest Eyes is pretty cool.  Of course, soon after that, I experienced the all-too-familiar feeling of being bored to tears.  But at least I can say I like 52 seconds of PT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #860 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
Honestly, if the rest their discography (or even a significant portion of it) sounded like that, I would definitely change my stance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: August 06, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
Porcupine Tree can seem that way (boring, uneventful, derivative, etc), so I'm glad I got into them when I did. These days, I rarely ever give new bands I don't immediately like  the same prolonged period of patience (while trying to figure out what the buzz is all about) that I gave PT.

PT don't really play much music in that heavy Tool-sounding style that opens In Absentia, Bosk. Previously to IA, they don't play it at all. Since IA, they've started adding those heavier "metal" elements here and there, but those still only amount to a small fraction of the overall PT sound. Your best bet is probably Deadwing or Fear of a Blank Planet but I'm not sure those would change your mind.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:45:09 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #862 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
Porcupine Tree can seem that way (boring, uneventful, derivative, etc), so I'm glad I got into them when I did. These days, I rarely ever give new bands I don't immediately like  the same prolonged period of patience (while trying to figure out what the buzz is all about) that I gave PT.

PT don't really play much music in that heavy Tool-sounding style that opens In Absentia, Bosk. Previously to IA, they don't play it at all. Since IA, they've started adding those heavier "metal" elements here and there, but those still only amount to a small fraction of the overall PT sound. Your best bet is probably Deadwing or Fear of a Blank Planet but I'm not sure those would change your mind.

They wouldn't.  I've heard them. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it's thoughtful, well constructed music.  I just don't like it.  And sometimes, I almost feel like I'm an anomaly among DT fans, since I pretty much uniformly dislike PT, Opeth, Devin Townsend, and POS. 

But, anyway, I don't mean to derail the discussion.  Just more or less wanted to post that I liked that section of Darkest Eyes. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #863 on: August 06, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
BLACKEST Eyes... :angry:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #864 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
BLACKEST Eyes... :angry:

Bosk got it right in the previous post...whoops :facepalm:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #865 on: August 06, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »

They wouldn't.  I've heard them. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it's thoughtful, well constructed music.  I just don't like it.  And sometimes, I almost feel like I'm an anomaly among DT fans, since I pretty much uniformly dislike PT, Opeth, Devin Townsend, and POS. 

But, anyway, I don't mean to derail the discussion.  Just more or less wanted to post that I liked that section of Darkest Eyes. 
Is it the music itself, or is it the lyrical content?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #866 on: August 06, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
Mostly the music.  I haven't really gotten past that far enough to pay attention to the lyrical content, other than maybe with POS.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #867 on: August 06, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Actually I'm kind of surprised by that. I could easily see how the lyrics could be a turn-off (depressing, uninspiring, cynical, anti-religion/christianity, etc.) but for me it's hard to see how the music is bad. Oh well, to each his own.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #868 on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
Bosk, if you like the riffier style, you should try out Strip the Soul, Wedding Nails, The Creator Has a Mastertape, Open Car, and Shallow. You might enjoy them a bit more.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #869 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
Bosk, if you like the riffier style, you should try out Strip the Soul, Wedding Nails, The Creator Has a Mastertape, Open Car, and Shallow. You might enjoy them a bit more.

Perhaps, but unless they are instrumentals that do not transition into the spacey, atmospheric style, I will likely be turned off by the vocals and/or the atmospheric stuff.  But don't worry--I have plenty of music that I DO enjoy.  :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: August 06, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »
Actually I'm kind of surprised by that. I could easily see how the lyrics could be a turn-off (depressing, uninspiring, cynical, anti-religion/christianity, etc.) but for me it's hard to see how the music is bad. Oh well, to each his own.

While that's true, I don't think you can separate the music from the lyrics. Dream Theater have a good number of songs that deal with depression and other negative emotions (like "War Inside My Head" and "Honor Thy Father") but they also have a number of uplifting songs. Sometimes, their songs take you through a range of emotions, like how "The Glass Prison"  begins with the lyrics expressing hopelessness but concludes by giving the listener a sense of a fresh-start; or how "Learning to Live" takes the listener on a journey from self-doubt to renewed confidence and comfort with the world.  With those bands you mentioned (the ones Bosk doesn't like), that almost never happens.

For example, compare "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" with Fear of a Blank Planet. Both are about the sort-of "first world problems" people go through in modern society. While I like both, FoaBP is pretty negative and cynical from beginning to end. There's never really a moment of respite from all the negativity; just varying degrees of "life sucks". With SDOIT, there's also a lot of that, but there's an equal amount of, "you know, we all have to deal with these kinds of problems, but sometimes it isn't so bad and most of us have people who love us helping us along the way".  I think that is ultimately why I like DT better than PT or Opeth or Pain of Salvation. DT, from the beginning, have always been about taking the listener on a journey through a range of emotions. Those other bands get way too mired in melancholia sometimes. If Dream Theater are the Charles Dickens of the progressive world than Opeth and PT are like Franz Kafka and Fyodor Dostoyevsky; good, but you can't read shit like that all the time.

/literature snob

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking Bosk should do a song roulette.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:47:41 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #871 on: August 06, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
Yeah, there is no point in trying to make yourself like something.  Not all of us have to love PT, peeps! ;)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #872 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I opened up a mix CD for a friend with Blackest Eyes and he almost shut it off because of the first 52 seconds. It was too heavy for his 60 year old tastes  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ħ

« Reply #873 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
I was listening to OTSOL the other day, and I actually really liked it! It's original and very interesting. It's not even music, for the most part. Just weird arrangements of sounds. Much better, I think, than some of their other early albums - The Sky Moves Sideways, for example, which comes across as a wannabe album that isn't really true to PT's identity (or SW's identity as it was by that point).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #874 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
 :tup :tup Beautiful insanity!

Now watch in wonder as people attempt to wrap their minds around that statement and understand how it is that you could possibly like such an odd, unrecognizable album better than anything other than a steaming pile of shit (that sings. whOOOOa). It's cute. It's like, "Aw! Try and give less of a shit."

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.