Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226859 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #735 on: June 30, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
It's worse that most of the preceding albums but it's still a frikkin good album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #736 on: June 30, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
:omg:
Aw shit man, I've been way off track; my opinion was all "Shit sucks, brohan" and I'm all "DOOD EYE NOSE THAT". I appreciate you letting me know!

:angel: It (mostly) sucks. This coming from a man who'd suck off Steven Wilson just to say I did. I wouldn't even want a pat on the head or anything. TI was a boring, uninspired, dull, overly drawn-out experience. Every other album is glorious in its own right but for as many times as I've tried to get into TI, there's just as many times that I've said to myself that it just isn't for me (except for in extremely depressing circumstances in regards to I Drive The Hearse and the 2nd disc, though even then...kinda meh).

Agree to disagree. Or we can power up and do some Kamehamehas.

...and start again, with our lives

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #737 on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
KAMEHAMEHA IT IS. UUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGRAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHH
AHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHH

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUGH

kamehameha.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: June 30, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
 :tup

What is the voice saying at the beginning of The Incident?

I always think he is looking at a huge yard of grass that needs to be cut and he is saying, "Get to mow, this shit"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #739 on: June 30, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
I always hear "you get demolished" or something.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #740 on: June 30, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »
That makes much more sense.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #741 on: June 30, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
I always think he is looking at a huge yard of grass that needs to be cut and he is saying, "Get to mow, this shit"
Exactly what I thought at first, but later it became apparent it was "you get demolished". :lol

As for the album, sometimes I can't stand to listen to it, other times I think it's pretty enjoyable. All about my mood I guess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #742 on: June 30, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »
"You get(-a) more disheveled."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #743 on: June 30, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
This must be rectified without delay.

Let me rectify this statement and say that it should not be rectified. Ever.

So confused. :huh: :lol   I liked the stuff not related to "The Incident" (the song) a fair bit better, but I may need to give it more spins to see if that opinion holds.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »
"You get(-a) more disheveled."

"It's-a me!"

Ironically enough, I Drive The Hearse is my least favorite part. Feels completely tacked on, like it's not part of the song sequence at all. Second disc is a bunch of meh songs. The rest of The Incident? Fantastic album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TL

« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
KAMEHAMEHA IT IS. UUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGRAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHH
AHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHH

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUGH

kamehameha.
So...
Is that like, a hawaiian inspired cocktail or something? Well, it is the right time of year for summer beverages.

Anyway, I really like The Incident. I'll often intend to just sit down and listen to a few tracks from disc 1, and find myself listening to the whole thing. Disc two has some great stuff as well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4j8Nh3XyAo
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »
I've always heard it as "(you) get to know the shadow"
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
I first heard it as "you get to pull this shit" as some cynical accusation that is characteristic of Steven's lyrics. But "get demolished" makes more sense.

EDIT: That video link is interesting. I guess it isn't either of those things. I can't figure out what the heck he's saying.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #750 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
Ironically enough, I Drive The Hearse is my least favorite part. Feels completely tacked on, like it's not part of the song sequence at all. Second disc is a bunch of meh songs. The rest of The Incident? Fantastic album.

Very much agreed, though I like Bonnie the Cat.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4j8Nh3XyAo

that makes it pretty obvious that he's saying two slightly different phrases: first, something like "get them all the shovel," then, "get them all with a shovel." the "with a" is rushed so that it fits in the same space of beats, but it's definitely not in the other phrase. regardless, it's still inconclusive :(

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
Ah that.

"You get demolished" sounds like a Wilson lyric, but yeah, it does sound like "You get to mow this shit".
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #753 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:38 AM »
So I got my picture taken by a SW lookalike today at the Canada Day festival. Seriously, the resemblance was uncanny. The only difference was his hair was this dark reddish-brownish colour that was different. But he had the glasses, pretty much the same facial hair, and a very similar face. And the hair aside from the colour was pretty much identical as well.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »
Steven Wilson has a lot of look-alikes. I've seen a few.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2012, 12:57:15 AM »
Ha. This is the first I've seen. It was pretty uncanny. :lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #756 on: July 02, 2012, 03:41:37 AM »
I used to look a bit like him when my hair was about shoulder length, and I got told I sound quite a lot like him at a Steve Hackett gig (Hackett didn't have his glasses on).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #757 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:39 AM »
So for the longest time I haven't played my DTS 5.1 of "Deadwing".  Yesterday my cousin and I played that and the Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" DTS 5.1 with my new HDMI reciever and was just blow away by both.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ħ

« Reply #758 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
The 5.1 Deadwing mix is so freakin expensive.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #759 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
Really?   When it was new...I found it in a store for $9.99 and I nabbed it!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #760 on: July 02, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Yeah, I got it when it first came out and it was cheep too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #761 on: July 02, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
From SW's twitter today (posted as one thought, even though it took him three tweets to get it all out :lol):

OK guys, if an SW or PT tour doesn't come to your town it's not because I/we pointedly *chose* not to come, I love to go everywhere....either there's no interest from local promoters, I can't cover the costs of doing the show, of it doesn't work out routing wise.  But the next SW band album/tour starting in early 2013 should cover a lot more countries and cities, watch this space...

So, the good news is that he still mentions PT, so those rumors are them being done are likely bogus, but he also mentions there being another solo tour early next year, so that means even longer till we finally get some new PT material.  Let the crying commence...;) :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
To be honest, I think one of the reasons why PT has been put on hold is because SW doesn't really know where to go next. I don't think The Incident offered that much new to the table. (And by that I'm not saying it's bad, but it's more of a mishmash between everything PT had done to the point, then taking a new direction)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #763 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
I don't think that's it; I just think he is having a blast with the band he is working with now and wants to keep that going for as long as the creative juices regarding that are flowing and whatnot.  I don't think he wants PT to become an outlet for his jazz or classic prog-inspired writings, especially since Richard Barbieri hates jazz and is more of an atmospheric sound creator than player.  And the stuff SW is currently doing is probably the most "showy" stuff he's ever done from a playing standpoint.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #764 on: July 02, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
The best guess is probably that it's several reasons. Obviously I think what you said is his main reason, but obviously there will be other minor things as well.
I only hope that it doesn't evolve into what happened with Pendulum, people asking SW all the time about PT while he's enjoying his solo-stuff, and he'll eventually go "this is my main thing now".

To be fair, I think GfD and Insurgentes are both equally awesome (if not better) to PT's best albums. So if he would disband PT and go for the solo-stuff (theoretically) I don't think I would mind that much. Sure, loosing PT would be sad, but I'd still be knowing that he would make awesome music.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #765 on: July 02, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
If it were to be the end of PT, I wouldn't be that upset because they made a lot of great music.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
My least favorites from Signify and on (I'll try and exclude the small transition tracks like Stupid Dream and Occam's Razor):
In Absentia - Heartattack in a Layby

I thought I was the only one who thought layby was my least favorite on IA

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #767 on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
I like it, I just don't think it has clicked with me yet.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #768 on: July 02, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
To be honest, I think one of the reasons why PT has been put on hold is because SW doesn't really know where to go next. I don't think The Incident offered that much new to the table. (And by that I'm not saying it's bad, but it's more of a mishmash between everything PT had done to the point, then taking a new direction)

I don't think that's it; I just think he is having a blast with the band he is working with now and wants to keep that going for as long as the creative juices regarding that are flowing and whatnot.

It's pretty much a combo of these. In a recent interview he said hes having fun with the SW band, that The Incident wasn't as good as it could have been/as he wanted (but still was proud of it), and he doesn't know where to take the next album/wants to avoid PT sounding like more of the same.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #769 on: July 03, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
My least favorites from Signify and on (I'll try and exclude the small transition tracks like Stupid Dream and Occam's Razor):
In Absentia - Heartattack in a Layby

I thought I was the only one who thought layby was my least favorite on IA
I just noticed this and realized Heartattack is probably my favourite on the album. Both insane.