Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 227015 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #630 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:24 AM »
Next PT album will most likely not be out until late 2013, or early 2014.
As it looks right now, Steven Wilson has several things "higher" on his list:

*Solo-album #3 (writing, recording, mixing etc)
*Live in Mexico BluRay/DVD (mixing)
*Touring for solo-album #3
*Porcupine Tree Live (I'm not sure how much he will be involved since it's recorded already, but seeing as he wants control of things, I assume he will be mixing it)
*Blackfield 4 (he has taken a step down from the band, he has already recorded vocals for the album, but it still feels likely that he will mix the album)
*No-Man (this has only been rumoured really, but they haven't released anything since 2008, and Tim Bowness has sounded eager to do something with SW soon again)
*Other mixing jobs (He has done mixes for King Crimson and a few other classic Prog-bands, it feels logical that we'll see at least one or two more of those this year)

As much as I love PT, I feel like GfD is Steven Wilson's best album so far in his career, and if he keeps putting out albums of the same quality under his solo name, then I probably wont miss PT as much.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #631 on: June 07, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
I'd much prefer Steven just do whatever he feels inspired to do. If he goes in to write a PT album when what he really whats to do is his solo project then the PT album has a pretty good chance of being shit.
I'd prefer it if he was inspired to write another PT album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #632 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
I'd much prefer Steven just do whatever he feels inspired to do. If he goes in to write a PT album when what he really whats to do is his solo project then the PT album has a pretty good chance of being shit.
I'd prefer it if he was inspired to write another PT album.

He will...next summer... :sadpanda:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: June 08, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »
I'd rather wait and have an awesome PT-album, than seeing SW rush an album because the fans want him to make it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #634 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »
What are everyone here's thoughts on Fear of a Blank Planet? Sure, its lyrics go off the rails sometimes, but to me it's a really special album because it's got such character. It's the only Porcupine Tree album I'd comfortably call progressive metal, and has some very relevant themes driving it. It almost seems important.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #635 on: June 12, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
^^^^  FOABP is not only my favorite PT album, but its also one of my favorite albums of all time.

and its contains my favorite PT song: Anesthetize

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #636 on: June 12, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »
What are everyone here's thoughts on Fear of a Blank Planet? Sure, its lyrics go off the rails sometimes, but to me it's a really special album because it's got such character. It's the only Porcupine Tree album I'd comfortably call progressive metal, and has some very relevant themes driving it. It almost seems important.

It was the band's first new album after I became a fan (which was not long after Deadwing was released), so I have a special spot in my mind and heart for it, especially since PT were one of the few bands I've seen live, and it was on the FOABP tour.

I only ever listen to the album in the vinyl tracklist order (which includes the four Nil Recurring tracks), and it's quite a journey. It's a bit different than their previous 3 albums, both in musical tones and character, as well as lyrically, of course. It's very dark, moody, and the music truly conveys the lyrics' tones and emotions quite well. It's one of my favorite PT albums, and probably my most-listened one at that. I also like the more cohesive, conceptual feel of the whole album, and while it doesn't follow a unique, singular character, it's anonymity of it's protagonist gives the album a universal appeal to those who are a part of that generation, or have experienced it through other means. It's a interesting view point of youth that I've never seen or have yet to see since in music, well, especially to cover a WHOLE album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #637 on: June 12, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
First PT album I heard. I think it is awesome. The lyrics never bothered me because SW was going for a bit of a concept, and I think his lyrics fit the concept very well. And they fit in so well with the music (yes, even the references to ipods and shit). Anesthetize is my favorite PT song and one of my favorite songs of all time, and all the songs on the album are great. I prefer Normal over Sentimental, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. (Unless they had a live version of Sleep Together, because the live version is fucking EPIC)

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #638 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »
Probably my number 1 favourite album of all time... really hits me emotionally and it helped me get through a tough time a couple years ago

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #639 on: June 13, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »

Easily my favorite PT-album. All of the songs are just superb.  :heart

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #640 on: June 13, 2012, 03:31:14 AM »
Yeah its my fave too :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #641 on: June 13, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »
I can't be bothered to look back too much, so I'll just assume ya'll are talking about Deadwing and not the oft overrated FoaBP.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »

Its a very good album, and a strange case because its an album I've enjoyed even after adding another 20 minutes of music to it (usually I'm like SW in liking albums to be around 45 minutes to an hour).  Yeah the lyrics get a little silly in places but overall its incredibly strong. 

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #643 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
Yeah, FOABP is definitely my favorite PT album. The concept, the atmosphere, and the beauty of the entire album just hits hard on all levels.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #644 on: June 13, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
I think FoaBP is my second favourite, as I like the atmosphere and how it fits together really well, but Signify has the wierd trancy bits and harmonies which slightly steal it for me...

...but only just.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #645 on: June 13, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »

It took me a few listens to get into it, but once it clicked... it clicked HARD.  I think it's my favorite PT album, but IMO you HAVE to include the Nil Recurring songs with the FOABP songs to get the full effect.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #646 on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
How do you include the nil recurring songs into FOABP? Do you just put them in after Sleep Together or is there some official order I'm not aware of?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #647 on: June 13, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
How do you include the nil recurring songs into FOABP? Do you just put them in after Sleep Together or is there some official order I'm not aware of?

This is the vinyl tracklisting

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Cheating the Polygraph
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way Out Of Here
Sleep Together
Nil Recurring
Normal
What Happens Now?

There have been a few fan made tracklistings too, though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #648 on: June 13, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Cheating the Polygraph
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way Out Of Here
Sleep Together
Nil Recurring
Normal
What Happens Now?

This order, to me, is definitive, not only because it was on an official release, but because it flows so well and the placement of the last 3 tracks really offers a greater ending to the whole album/concept/story, especially with all the reprises happening in the last 3 tracks that reflect on the prior 3 sides of the album.

-Marc.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #649 on: June 13, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
I dunno how I feel about Sleep Together not being the closer though. I feel it should at least be second to last, if not the final track. I like the order of everything else.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #650 on: June 13, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
Look at who'll be August's Guitar Player Magazine cover story:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #651 on: June 13, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
Was he always that thin?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: June 13, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »
He's been thinner in the past.

I remember watching a DVD of PT at NEARfest back in the Lightbulb Sun days and thinking he's a person who, if I had seen him on the street, would think needed help with an eating disorder.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #653 on: June 13, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
How tall is he?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #654 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Cheating the Polygraph
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way Out Of Here
Sleep Together
Nil Recurring
Normal
What Happens Now?

This order, to me, is definitive, not only because it was on an official release, but because it flows so well and the placement of the last 3 tracks really offers a greater ending to the whole album/concept/story, especially with all the reprises happening in the last 3 tracks that reflect on the prior 3 sides of the album.

-Marc.

See and I just never felt that way.    At one point, I had made a different order just because this order feels like it was just thrown together.     As if someone just said, "Just take one of the tracks and put it on the shortest side (side one), and throw whatever is left over on the end."      It honestly just looks and feels like it was a track order made purely for convenience of space, with no consideration for the flow of the story whatsoever.

The order I prefer is....

Side 1:
Fear of a Blank Planet
Cheating the Polygraph
My Ashes

Side 2:
Nil Recurring
Sentimental
Way Out of Here

Side 3:
Anesthetize

Side 4:
Normal
What Happens Now
Sleep Together
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: June 13, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
I don't like the vinyl listing either.  This is what I prefer:

FOABP
My Ashes
Cheating the Polygraph
Anesthetize
Normal
Sentimental
Nil Recurring
What Happens Now?
Way Out of Here
Sleep Together

Offline jammindude

« Reply #656 on: June 13, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
oooo....I really like that you have What Happens Now *opening* Side 4.   What a great idea!  I may have to adjust mine accordingly.

However, I don't like having Normal and Sentimental right next to each other.   They are almost identical, and it feels better to me if they "bookend" the album on either side of the epic track as opposed to being in succession to each other.   Just IMO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #657 on: June 13, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
Look at who'll be August's Guitar Player Magazine cover story:

:biggrin: :heart

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #658 on: June 13, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
Deadwing is the best PT album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »
oooo....I really like that you have What Happens Now *opening* Side 4.   What a great idea!  I may have to adjust mine accordingly.

However, I don't like having Normal and Sentimental right next to each other.   They are almost identical, and it feels better to me if they "bookend" the album on either side of the epic track as opposed to being in succession to each other.   Just IMO.

Those two are the only ones I was scratching my head over when I was putting it together, but I like "Normal" after "Anesthetize" and love "Sentimental" before "Nil Recurring."  Honestly, "Normal" is the song that fits the least well with the rest of the album, IMO, so its difficult to find a great place for it.

I also just tried "Normal" at the start of the album, but the title track has that 'first song buildup' that clashes with it. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #660 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
Steven's little speech at the beginning of Hatesong at NEARfest is extremely offputting.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #661 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
Steven's little speech at the beginning of Hatesong at NEARfest is extremely offputting.
Are you talking about the boy band one? In Steven's defense, they do pretty much totally go against everything he values in life. :lol Sometimes he does go a little overboard with his hatred though, I must admit.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #662 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
Steven can definitely be a little arrogant with his views, but I have to agree with him on most of what he says. Especially on the presentation side of it. He is really vocal about it, sometimes a bit too much, but I think SOMEONE needs to do it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
Steven can definitely be a little arrogant with his views, but I have to agree with him on most of what he says. Especially on the presentation side of it. He is really vocal about it, sometimes a bit too much, but I think SOMEONE needs to do it.

Yup. I can see how someone who disagrees with him could REALLY be put off by him, but to me his views generally just make me love him more.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
I like some of those pop stars, so I'm definitely put off by him. In the Insurgentes movie, he says that he hates the idea of the music industry dismissing an artist's work as "shit" - but that's exactly what he does all the time.