Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226741 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
More like Deadwang.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
So after giving Deadwong a few listens, I'm pretty sure I like TI more. Maybe Deadwing will grow on me more but as of right now I think TI is better.

in b4 "you're dead wong about that!"
Hahahaha! Stupid autocorrect!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
I combined the songs from Nil Recurring and Fear Of A Blank Planet into one album.

1. Fear Of A Blank Planet
2. My Ashes
3. Cheating The Polygraph
4. Nil Recurring
5. Normal/Sentimental
6. Way Out Of Here
7. Sleep Together
8. What Happens Now?/Anesthetize

I like it  :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »
I prefer this tracklisting:

1. Fear of a Blank Planet
2. My Ashes
3. Cheating the Polygraph
4. Anesthetize
5. Nil Recurring
6. Sentimental
7. Normal
8. What Happens Now
9. Way Out of Here
10. Sleep Together

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
https://www.dprp.net/wp/?p=5941

Whoever said that SW would put PT on ice was RIGHT. Looks like we have an indefinite hiatus, folks. I guess we can expect more from SW solo, hopefully a new No-Man album, and more from the other members of PT in the mean time.

The problem with having a big band with one leading contributor means that when THEY want a break, the band is put on hold. Roine Stolt felt the same way and it took him 5 years and many various side-projects later to come back to his home band of The Flower Kings. I hope we don't have to wait 5 years til the next PT album (although if we say 5 years since The Incident, then the next PT album would be in 2014, which is only 2 years away...)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Well, first of all, the article acknowledges that it's still a rumor. Also,

Posted on Tuesday, 24th April 2012 by Léon

Porcupine Tree stops for a while?

Here’s a brief extract of an interview with Steven Wilson to be aired on Planet Rock Radio on April 6th….. But not 100% confirmed!

I'm confused. April 6th was 2.5 weeks ago. Why is it not 100% confirmed? Wouldn't the piece have aired already? The source seems suspect to me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
Sucks, but he has to do what he has to do. Sadly I haven't fallen in love with any of his projects, Insurgents was about as good as it gets for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
As long as he makes awesome music, it doesn't matter to me if it's with No-Man, Bass Communion, his solo stuff or anything else. But I do hold Porcupine Tree very close to my heart, so I would be sad if they stopped completely.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
https://www.dprp.net/wp/?p=5941

Whoever said that SW would put PT on ice was RIGHT. Looks like we have an indefinite hiatus, folks. I guess we can expect more from SW solo, hopefully a new No-Man album, and more from the other members of PT in the mean time.

The problem with having a big band with one leading contributor means that when THEY want a break, the band is put on hold. Roine Stolt felt the same way and it took him 5 years and many various side-projects later to come back to his home band of The Flower Kings. I hope we don't have to wait 5 years til the next PT album (although if we say 5 years since The Incident, then the next PT album would be in 2014, which is only 2 years away...)

-Marc.
....You know the poster of this information said it was an April Fools joke right??
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Link to the original poster of the April Fools joke
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85964
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »

Here’s a brief extract of an interview with Steven Wilson to be aired on Planet Rock Radio on April 6th….. But not 100% confirmed!

I'm confused. April 6th was 2.5 weeks ago. Why is it not 100% confirmed? Wouldn't the piece have aired already? The source seems suspect to me.

It says "to be aired", so I'm thinking it's a typo and should read April 26th. Guess we'll find out in 2 days.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »

It says "to be aired", so I'm thinking it's a typo and should read April 26th. Guess we'll find out in 2 days.

-Marc.

This information was posted on April 1st on progarchives and have you noticed the interview hasn't aired and you should read my earlier post.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2012, 11:08:07 AM »
That was just part of an April Fool's joke, there is no validity to it whatsoever.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
I must say that some of the people in that thread were complete dicks. I'm not saying everyone should love every band, but replies like "Good news" when a band breaks up, that is just the highpoint of being a douche.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85964

Cruel joke. Now I feel bad because DPRP is usually the top source of Prog News for me and they post that? Oops. Someone might want to inform them that it is not "news".

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
I must say that some of the people in that thread were complete dicks. I'm not saying everyone should love every band, but replies like "Good news" when a band breaks up, that is just the highpoint of being a douche.

On the flip side, if say Nickelback broke up tomorrow, wouldn't you be doing cartwheels through that thread?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »

On the flip side, if say Nickelback broke up tomorrow, wouldn't you be doing cartwheels through that thread?

Not really. I mean, I tend to stay away from what I don't like. :P After all, even a band like Nickelback has fans, and rubbing it in would still be a dick move.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »

Not really. I mean, I tend to stay away from what I don't like. :P After all, even a band like Nickelback has fans, and rubbing it in would still be a dick move.

I agree with you in principle, but you know a lot of people would still be doing it for Nickelback when they wouldn't for Porcupine Tree.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Yeah probably.  :corn

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »
I mean, its been pretty much confirmed that PT is on hiatus for a bit ANYWAYS.  In a Storm Corrosion interview SW mentioned how he was kind of dreading releasing the next PT because it will have been like 5 years since the last one and he doesn't like disappointing people, and the fans really want it to be as amazing as usual.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
the opening synth sound of "The Sky Moves Sideways phase 1" is used in "Voyage 34" phase IV, around 9:30ish, quite prominently. like, same notes, then it does other stuff. it's a really interesting tie across the UTD era to TSMS; i mean, they already make sense together, but it's a direct link, like how "Drugged" II by Bass Communion became "Together We're Stranger" by No-man. SW recycles in such interesting ways.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Its also used in Venemas Para Las Hadas (I'm pretty sure) off Insurgentes

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
I mean, its been pretty much confirmed that PT is on hiatus for a bit ANYWAYS.  In a Storm Corrosion interview SW mentioned how he was kind of dreading releasing the next PT because it will have been like 5 years since the last one and he doesn't like disappointing people, and the fans really want it to be as amazing as usual.

As a not-so-serious-super-die-hard fan, I can comfortably say that, no matter what they put out, PT will be a Top-5, auto-buy album for me whenever they get around to releasing PT11. I can only hope they record later this year/early next year and release it by Fall 2013.

-Marc.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »
Its also used in Venemas Para Las Hadas (I'm pretty sure) off Insurgentes

not the synth i'm talking about — you're right, it's just that you mean the synth that begins the song proper, whilst i mean the very first sound on the entire record. it's part of the quiet sound collage/atmosphere before the song takes off with the chords reused later in "Veneno".

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
It'll seem like a lifetime since the last PT album, but I'll be happy with whatever they put out.

It just seems like an odd time to go out on hiatus after reaching a very high point in their career. A tour with Coheed that probably gained some fans, a high charting on the Billboard 200, and some huge shows on The Incident Tour. But hey, they'll still come back strong
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
I know Steven does the majority of the writing with Porcupine Tree, but maybe the next album would be a good opportunity to try more of a "band" sound. Let Colin, Richard, and Gavin (hell, maybe even Wesley) in on the songwriting party. I'm sure those guys are all brimming with ideas.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
I know Steven does the majority of the writing with Porcupine Tree, but maybe the next album would be a good opportunity to try more of a "band" sound. Let Colin, Richard, and Gavin (hell, maybe even Wesley) in on the songwriting party. I'm sure those guys are all brimming with ideas.

As awesome as that sounds, I don't see SW really wanting to change the writing dynamic of PT.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:06 PM »

As awesome as that sounds, I don't see SW really wanting to change the writing dynamic of PT.
Well, you never know.  After three solo albums, maybe he might take a more backseat approach on the next PT.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

Well, you never know.  After three solo albums, maybe he might take a more backseat approach on the next PT.
My thoughts exactly. Grace For Drowning, Storm Corrosion, and the new solo album all within a few years. Methinks it's time for Steve to back off and let the rest of the band stretch their writing ability as well. After all, if the band is going to be separate from his solo output, why not treat it like a band and not yet another vehicle for his solo music?

Or I could just fuck off.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
I kind of think it'd be nice to have SW relinquish some control on the next album. I mean, we know that the rest of the guys can all write music. Let's see what they can do
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
I agree, they already done it with Way Out of Here, and that was beautiful

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
The other guys have written stuff for PT before (Way Out of Here, Hatesong, a few others that I can't think of right now) and its turned out very well, so I'm not opposed to seeing more of their input.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »
Way Out Of Here is great.  Also, I loved the Incident, as opposed to many peoples' opinions.  :metal

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
Dude The Incident is awesome  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
The Incident is probably in my bottom half of PT albums. It is still quite awesome though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey